IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

@Brickman are you using the hard mode badge? You can always remove it if you don't like it, but I love the tactical depth it adds to the seemingly simple combat system 🙂

Yep turned it on just for a bit of challenge 🙂 I like the option and the ability to easily turn it on and off.

I really like how you can easily switch to another character in combat if the situation requires it. It’s simple but a great addition.

Yeah, free re-ordering of active characters at a button press, and taking over turns for others at a -1 damage penalty, is a really interesting mechanic, and once you start getting the abilities to break 1 additional damage armor, etc. it can be a massive game changer. By the end of the game, Kabbu became my primary damage dealer despite the three seeming equally balanced at first.

Edited by Sumez

• 2 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted
10 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Gonna try shadow of the colossus. Never played it, know nothing about it. Any good?

Finished well in the VGS debates:

https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/8513-game-debate-60-shadow-of-the-colossus/#comment-214059

Screenshot_20221017-105239.png

H2x1-NSwitch-DS-Deaths-Gambit-Afterlife.

I'm a good chunk into the game. I was surprised by some of the funny moments in a game which overall is trying to capture Dark Souls in 2D format. I'll write a short review once completed, but as of now here are a few thoughts -

Graphics are very nice, although nothing spectacular. Music is excellent.

No class restrictions. Lots of skill trees to explore.

Controls are very good. Story is decent.

Bosses are challenging!

On 10/17/2022 at 10:00 PM, DarkTone said:

Thats the version I'm about to play. Any tips? 

Best tip is don't look up anything. The game is quite simple and straight forward, and tells you all you need to know.
But there are a few things that could be spoiled, as well as aspects that kind of need to be up to your own interpretation.

Play through the entire game, and then look up what people have to say about it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

Best tip is don't look up anything. The game is quite simple and straight forward, and tells you all you need to know.
But there are a few things that could be spoiled, as well as aspects that kind of need to be up to your own interpretation.

Play through the entire game, and then look up what people have to say about it.

Agreed. Just go in and try to discover things on your own. You'll find some fun surprises as you adventure and should be able to beat it without too much trouble.

I just started The Forgotten City. It's another time loop game in which you need to solve a central mystery by learning more each loop about the intertwining individual stories. It's pretty cool so far and seems like it's going to be fun to unravel. I've already seen a few quality of life things that help reduce repetition which is absolutely clutch for this type of game.

Edited by DoctorEncore

Started playing Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed. You know what? This game is pretty freakin' fun. You unlock new upgrades and cosmetics at a surprisingly rapid pace and just the core game play loop itself is frantic and exciting. Great graphics and amazing sound design. Just a good time all around so far. If anyone else is playing and wants to group up sometime, feel free to hit me up.

Edited by Webhead123

10 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

For Switch?

I also just watched Iron Pineapple's unflattering take on it, so I might backburner it for now.  God knows I have enough actual From games I still need to get to.

Sorry my copy is for PS4. As I noted in the review, for me it's not bad, but not great. Then again, lots of people say it's an amazing game, you never know until you play.

What From games do you have yet to play? I have to say, I was a big fan of the original Souls - played Demons on PS3, then Dark Souls, then DS II, Bloodborne, and DS III. I like to call Dark Souls III "The Fun Fades edition" because frankly, although it had a few wonderful parts/battles/etc, it honestly was just not that fun. By the time it came to finish the game I was like "might as well, since I did all that other crap to get here". I thought Nioh, which granted takes a lot of elements from Dark Souls, is better in nearly every way. Nioh and Nioh 2 have much more fluid combat (even better than Bloodborne), many more weapons and skills, a far more interesting plot...basically Nioh is what Dark Souls III should have been.

Edited by avatar!

Editorials Team · Posted
14 minutes ago, avatar! said:

What From games do you have yet to play?

I've only done Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Sekiro.

I have unopened copies of Bloodborne, DS2, DS3, and Demon Remake.  And I keep waiting for a $30 sale on Elden Ring.

...and I do have an unopened copy of Nioh 1 + 2.  Eventually!

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I've only done Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Sekiro.

I have unopened copies of Bloodborne, DS2, DS3, and Demon Remake.  And I keep waiting for a $30 sale on Elden Ring.

...and I do have an unopened copy of Nioh 1 + 2.  Eventually!

Sekiro is the one From game I have not played and not sure I want to. I heard it was "divisive" among FromFans. I read reviews where people complained it's about timing everything perfectly, which I was never a fan of. Have you played it?

Editorials Team · Posted
1 minute ago, avatar! said:

Sekiro is the one From game I have not played and not sure I want to. I heard it was "divisive" among FromFans. I read reviews where people complained it's about timing everything perfectly, which I was never a fan of. Have you played it?

I just beat it.  I loved it.  In my all time top 100.  Maybe top 50.  But I'm pretty high on games in general: certainly moreso than your average grump 😅

But it's definitely different from the regular Souls games in a few key ways, and some people take exception to that.