IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

8 hours ago, Van Jackson said:

I'm immediately reminded of the AVGN "Making of" episode, where he uses that game, lol.

I'm still grinding the last castle stages of MM6.

How do you "grind" the last castle stages of MM6? I thought grinding is where you beat up on enemies over and over in one spot/area to level your characters up?  I don't think NES MegaMan games let you do that!

PS: Good luck trying to get those super secret four 1-ups inside a block without losing more than that many trying!

15 hours ago, Estil said:

How do you "grind" the last castle stages of MM6? I thought grinding is where you beat up on enemies over and over in one spot/area to level your characters up?  I don't think NES MegaMan games let you do that!

PS: Good luck trying to get those super secret four 1-ups inside a block without losing more than that many trying!

Grind = I play through the entirety of the game, all over again, after a game over. I don't use passwords, I practice the levels over and over until I don't need to think. That's how I game now. I try to play them straight through. I'm getting to the last stages of the castle before getting a game over; I usually get about 2-3 full passes up to that point per session. Eventually I'll be flying through all 6 NES MMs, which was my original goal.

I'm doing a playthrough of Windwaker on GC. It is such a lovely time for the first 3/4 of the way through the game. There is so much joy sailing through the great sea and exploring the islands you come upon in an attempt to uncover each one's secrets. The dungeons are some of the highest quality of any 3D zelda with some very cryptic puzzles that don't just hold your hand and surprisingly tough combat at times. The boss fights you encounter are all big and epic if not a bit gimmicky like most zelda bosses are. And doing all these tasks as young Toon Link really makes Windwaker a hugely charming and whimsical adventure. The Cel shaded graphics and art hold up to this day and are gorgeous even 20 years later,

While I am not using the HD version, I've played enough of it to know that is vastly superior to the GC one. I've fallen off of many a platform or drowned while failing to latch onto a ladder more than a few times due to the camera being very difficult to orient. The HD one completely fixes this by changing the camera to modern style where the right joystick gives free reign for quick and precise adjustments.

*Spoiler ahead for those that have never played windwaker.*

The GC version is absolutely glorious until it's time to search for the triforce shards. They are all scattered over the great sea with mini dungeons similar to the shrines in BOTW protecting them. Gathering them all is a bit of a chore, but it doesn't take too long to do. Just kidding. Instead of finding the shard, you find a map leading to it that you must sail to and grappling hook it up. A map that must be translated by Tingle for 398 rupees. And 8 of them. So if you don't have the largest wallet in the game maxed out when you start, you need to get it and start farming for rupees, since it will take 3200(!) To get the job done. And then you need to actually sail to each location on the great sea to fetch them. This while process can take litterally hours. Which while not too uncommon to have long tasks like that in a zelda game, they are always side missions, not requirements for completion of the main story! The HD version fixes all of this by bypassing Tingle altogether and replacing the the maps with the triforce shards themselves.

Windwaker is among my favorite Zeldas ever made and I'm very happy to be revisiting it. If it is your first playthrough to try it for yourself, do yourself a favor and get the HD version.

• Like 1

I know I said I was going to work on my backlog, but the image of Sackboy caught my eye. He is such a cute little mascot that I need to give Little Big Planet a try. With all the awards it won, it must be a sublime experience, so we'll see how it goes. I'm not even sure what kind of game it is, to be honest.

Little Big Planet is really mostly notable for its level editor. 

As a single player platform game, it's capable and IMO quite enjoyable, but nothing out of the ordinary. It's basically a long tutorial supplying inspiration for things you can do in your own stages. And it's completely based around a physics simulation, so the controls often feel wonky and imprecise when you're used to tight platform games designed around a simpler movement engine. 

So while the level editor is the real star of the show, I personally think it very quickly becomes a chore to create stages, due to the inherent work involved in producing anything creative. Mario Maker has it beat by a long shot in that regard! 

9th-dawn-iii-ps4-1200x1200.webp

A few hours in, and so far a fun retro-inspired RPG with a TON of schnat to do! From Zelda-like fishing mini-games to Diablo-like creatures and magic, I'm enjoying this! Some of the mechanics could use a tiny bit of tweaking or at least explaining, but still more fun than most AAA games 🙂

12 hours ago, Sumez said:

Little Big Planet is really mostly notable for its level editor. 

As a single player platform game, it's capable and IMO quite enjoyable, but nothing out of the ordinary. It's basically a long tutorial supplying inspiration for things you can do in your own stages. And it's completely based around a physics simulation, so the controls often feel wonky and imprecise when you're used to tight platform games designed around a simpler movement engine. 

So while the level editor is the real star of the show, I personally think it very quickly becomes a chore to create stages, due to the inherent work involved in producing anything creative. Mario Maker has it beat by a long shot in that regard! 

After about an hour with it, I agree.  This is the kind of game I would have loved as a kid, but as an action platformer, it feels like Rayman but worse.

30 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

I managed to snag a PS5 so playing Astro's and FF7 Remake. Ratchet & Clank is prolly the nxt game and then I am not sure.

I was curious what real gameplay looked like after the PS5 came out and I went to watch a long play of R&C for a few minutes.  I ended up watching the whole game. It looks great and was a fun story so, I have never played it but I

recommend it.

Edited by RH
  • Wow! 1

1 hour ago, Nintegageo said:

@RH a friend told me the main issue with the game is it's short. I'm alright with that :). Just hope Demon's Souls has a sale haha

Oh yeah, it is.  The long play was about 5.5 hours.  I think they could have possibly done a bit more and grind to gain some cash to get more weapons, so I guess you could make it a 10 hour game and if your'e not great at gaming (cough, like me), I could see it being a 15-20 hour game.  I still agree that's not long, but it did look fun.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

I started up Dragon Age Origins on PS3 last night. I've beaten it a number of times before, and have the Platinum trophy, and ps3 isn't the best way to play by a mile, but I wanted to just relax on the couch with it so there it is. 

• Love 1

33 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I started up Dragon Age Origins on PS3 last night. I've beaten it a number of times before, and have the Platinum trophy, and ps3 isn't the best way to play by a mile, but I wanted to just relax on the couch with it so there it is. 

I have so many games on my backlog, but more often that not, when I'm tired and just want to play a game to relax, I almost always reach for something that I've beaten a thousand times instead of a new game....

• Agree 1

I know it's the antithesis of the site, but wow...just wow... Diablo Immortal, at least starting out so far is utterly fantastic.  It plays quite well even on touch using my iphone.  There is a free PC version too if you're going to go that way.  Has the look of the D2 remaster and D3, plays a story between the pair.  Lots of options, choices, build and design types...did not skimp.

Working on Trek to Yomi for XSX. It's okay, but the gameplay is really barebones. It's really all about the atmosphere and stylistic visuals. Unfortunately, after a few levels I found myself really hoping for a splash of color just to change things up. The environments themselves really do look great, but overall the game is probably less than the sum of its pieces. I do think the developers have a lot of potential based on what I've seen in this game. I will hopefully finish it this weekend, but I'd be hard-pressed to recommend it to anyone at this point (currently on chapter 6 of 7).

Edited by DoctorEncore

I seriously am a bit surprised that Diablo Immortal is F2P.  The game is just that good, no corners obviously cut.  I just tried the PC version for over an hour and while beta, it's far enough along it works perfectly fine if you don't hit something that sets it off (oddly I couldn't fire spells, button mashed the keyboard and clicked around a lot and it came back, happened once.)  I was super impressed on mobile, but the desktop version is still nice, just assets are blown up from mobile so it's a bit less sharp than say D2s remake or D3 which they set this right in the middle of.