IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

Homebrew Team · Posted

Currently playing Little Samson.  I am towards the very end at the floating castles.  To be frank, I haven't enjoyed it as much as I thought I would, given the genre of game and the hype this title receives.  A similar game, that I actually really love, Bucky O'Hare, blows this one out of the water IMO.

Sounds about right. Little Samson is a very good game, but it's kind of middle of the road for what it does, especially given what else is available on the platform.

Bucky O'Hare is much more of an uneven ride, and some areas are notably better/worse than others, but at the end of the day I think it succeeds at being a massively more memorable game if only for all the unique setpieces which you can really feel sowing the seed for Treasure's future style of game design.

Anyone here still have an Atari computer?  I've recently been playing all my old favorites on my XE system, such as Jumpman, Frogger 2, Lode Runner, and Montezuma's Revenge.

Spent the most time with The Tail of Beta Lyrae, which continues to keep me engaged with it's procedurally generated shump insanity.  Still dreaming improving my record on that one, but I'd have to loop the game 4 times to do it (unlikely).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Anyone here still have an Atari computer?  I've recently been playing all my old favorites on my XE system, such as Jumpman, Frogger 2, Lode Runner, and Montezuma's Revenge.

Spent the most time with The Tail of Beta Lyrae, which continues to keep me engaged with it's procedurally generated shump insanity.  Still dreaming improving my record on that one, but I'd have to loop the game 4 times to do it (unlikely).

I've been on a casual look-out for one for a while now.  Never had one before, but I acquired a bunch of Atari disks a while back that have a ton of these great games on them including, I think, that Beta Lyrae game.  I play Jumpman Jr. and Montezuma's Revenge on Colecovision a lot and Lode Runner on Apple II and NES.  I've got Frogger 2 and I've tried it a couple of times but don't really know what I'm doing yet.

...Just youtubed Tail Of Beta Lyrae.  Looks a lot like the shmup portion of Destination Earthstar = Cool but Not exactly easy pickins...

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Playing Life is Strange True Colors has me legit looking up homes in the Colorado mountains. Never gonna happen, but a guy can dream. I could actually afford a home based on the prices I'm seeing but it'd be like stepping onto an entirely different planet for me.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 11:25 PM, PII said:

I've been on a casual look-out for one for a while now.  Never had one before, but I acquired a bunch of Atari disks a while back that have a ton of these great games on them including, I think, that Beta Lyrae game.  I play Jumpman Jr. and Montezuma's Revenge on Colecovision a lot and Lode Runner on Apple II and NES.  I've got Frogger 2 and I've tried it a couple of times but don't really know what I'm doing yet.

...Just youtubed Tail Of Beta Lyrae.  Looks a lot like the shmup portion of Destination Earthstar = Cool but Not exactly easy pickins...

Yeah, Frogger 2 is a pretty complex game, even though it's really just multi-screen Frogger.  Well worth it once you get into it though.

So you've played Lode Runner on multiple systems, which makes me ask, which version do you like better?  From what I can tell, the NES version has way fewer levels, but better presentation.  Apple II and Atari 8-bit are about the same.

Anyway that's cool.  Atari computers are tougher and tougher to come by, but I hope you get a chance to try out your disks someday.

11 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Yeah, Frogger 2 is a pretty complex game, even though it's really just multi-screen Frogger.  Well worth it once you get into it though.

So you've played Lode Runner on multiple systems, which makes me ask, which version do you like better?  From what I can tell, the NES version has way fewer levels, but better presentation.  Apple II and Atari 8-bit are about the same.

Anyway that's cool.  Atari computers are tougher and tougher to come by, but I hope you get a chance to try out your disks someday.

I didn't think too much of F2 based on the little I've played, but I know you didn't fall off the back of a turnip wagon when it comes to 2nd Gen stuff, so now you've got my interest peaked again...

I've also played Lode Runner on C64 but not in a long time.  IIRC I remember it looking a little better than the apple version and playing pretty much the same, and red bricks instead of blue.  For some reason I want to say that it was reduced to 50 levels like the NES version, while the apple II is the original with 150 levels.  Hardest thing to get used to w/the NES version is the screen cropping, but it's easier to get used to than I thought it would be.  All things considered including my C64 being on the fritz presently, I'd choose Apple II w/the whole game over anything that is partial.

Yeah, me too.  I hocked a couple of 'em right off the bat to cover the cost, but there's a lot of good/rare/exclusive-ish stuff there that I'd love to play.  My knowledge of Atari Computers is fairly slim.  I know I'd prefer an 800 over a 400 and I know that XE and LE came later and that about raps it up.  If you have any advice or thoughts on whats better/worse, or just what to look for I'm all ears. 

Graphics Team · Posted

I've been playing the 2600 port of Gorf on-and-off this month.

I really want to make it through 4+ loops / missions to earn a "Space Captain" ranking, but I've only cleared 3 so far (which makes me a lowly "Space Cadet"...)

-CasualCart

18 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Shredder's revenge. 

I'm really liking this game so far. It's not the most nuanced beat-'em-up ever made or anything but it has enough depth and challenge to keep it interesting. The developers were smart in adding lots of little details that add to the experience, like slightly different stats and attack patterns for each character, a leveling system for the Story Mode, etc. I think some of the cleverest ideas are those that are introduced in multiplayer. The ability to attempt a revive on a downed player. Being able to share life bars with others as-needed. Team attacks. All good stuff. As such, I think the game probably plays best at 2 to 3 players. Single player can be a little tough and the play field can sometimes feel sparse. 4+ players is silly fun but very chaotic and it's fairly easy to lose track of your character in the midst of dozens of combos, ragdolls and special effects. Still, a treat of a game.

5 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

I'm really liking this game so far. It's not the most nuanced beat-'em-up ever made or anything but it has enough depth and challenge to keep it interesting. The developers were smart in adding lots of little details that add to the experience, like slightly different stats and attack patterns for each character, a leveling system for the Story Mode, etc. I think some of the cleverest ideas are those that are introduced in multiplayer. The ability to attempt a revive on a downed player. Being able to share life bars with others as-needed. Team attacks. All good stuff. As such, I think the game probably plays best at 2 to 3 players. Single player can be a little tough and the play field can sometimes feel sparse. 4+ players is silly fun but very chaotic and it's fairly easy to lose track of your character in the midst of dozens of combos, ragdolls and special effects. Still, a treat of a game.

Enjoying it. Enjoyed in time more. 

I've been playing through Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PS5. It's my first Ratchet game and I'm enjoying it, if not blown away. It's definitely at its best when it throws you into the middle of big battles and let's you utilize all the crazy weapons in interesting combinations. The exploration is pretty weak and I'm a bit bummed by an excessive amount of invisible walls and kill zones. Maybe that's just how all the R&C games are, but it's feels a bit restrictive for a game in 2022. Overall it's pretty cool and definitely towards the top of the pack for level-based, 3D action platformers (which sadly isn't saying much anymore).

Editorials Team · Posted

I'm currently playing Super Mario RPG, my first playthrough in probably almost 25 years.  It was the first game I ever bought, so there's a lot of memories here, which is fun to revisit.

I'm also doing Mario & Luigi Paper Jam, due to circumstances where I needed to kill a few hours and I only had the 3DS available to me.  Figured I may as well start something up.

And then Inside, which I got for Switch at some point when it was like $1.99.  Really digging it, but it's not the sorta thing you want to drop $30 on a physical for (not that one exists).

And then my boys and I occasionally play Smash Ultimate, or work on our Lego Skywalker Saga playthrough.

Finished up everything I wanted to do in Pokemon Legends: Arceus (after 550 hours!) and am now focusing on Shredder's Revenge. Will probably get everything done in that except for the levels you have to complete without getting hit, cause I'm just not that good. After that, diving into some shorter retro games before getting engaged in a longer one again (not sure which yet) 

Uncharted: First time touching this series. I finished the first game last week. I'm glad it was a shorter game, but it still got a little repetitive. I tried starting 2 last night but just wasn't feeling it (the stealth feels so weird). I might pick it back up in a few months.

Spyro: Another series I've never played. I'm playing on the remastered collection. Pretty simple game minus a few levels near the end of the game. I should be finishing it tonight and will probably jump right into 2.

Persona 4 Golden: Picked this up after deciding to put Uncharted 2 on hold. I've played Persona 1 (boring), 3 Portable (pretty good but I don't really remember much so I need to revisit), 5 + 5R (contender for my favorite games). I'm not expecting 4 to top 5 but I'm really excited to start. 

On 6/12/2022 at 11:58 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

I started Mario & Luigi Paper Jam.  That leaves Partners in Time as the only one left to do.

For whatever reason Partners in Time gets a lot of crap pretty much only for the way it handles Bros. attacks, but it's an extremely fun ride with a fun story too. I like it the second best of all Mario & Luigi games, after the first one.

Haven't played Dream Team or Paper Jam yet though.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Finished up everything I wanted to do in Pokemon Legends: Arceus (after 550 hours!) and am now focusing on Shredder's Revenge. Will probably get everything done in that except for the levels you have to complete without getting hit, cause I'm just not that good. After that, diving into some shorter retro games before getting engaged in a longer one again (not sure which yet) 

Fucking A... I bet my Switch 2022 hours end up smaller than that.

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Jesus dude, lol.

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Fucking A... I bet my Switch 2022 hours end up smaller than that.

Lol… I wasn’t even sure if I was gonna get the game at launch and then I did and fell in love with it…. It pressed all the right buttons for me, but I’m glad I finished up what I wanted to do because I’ve been wanting to play some older stuff and now I finally have time. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Lol… I wasn’t even sure if I was gonna get the game at launch and then I did and fell in love with it…. It pressed all the right buttons for me, but I’m glad I finished up what I wanted to do because I’ve been wanting to play some older stuff and now I finally have time. 

It's lovely when that happens eh? The other day I was just trying random games on ps+ on my new ps5 and came across this digital only ps3 game I'd never seen before. Ended up sitting playing it for 7 straight hours. Just some VERY simple tile based strategy "rpg" called Battle Tiles EX. I got sucked in! 

• Like 1