IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

I spent a while playing every Fairchild Channel F game and man, it has to be in the running for the worst "major" console ever. Every single game is a derivative of some other existing game and there isn't a good one in the lot. For a console mostly remembered for the innovation of interchangeable cartridges there is a distinct lack of innovation in the software.

The best game by far is Video Whizball, which is just a decent air hockey/pong type game.

Graphics Team · Posted
On 4/3/2022 at 6:00 PM, CasualCart said:

I'm trying to get 10k on Planet Patrol [2600], but the 5th wave scrolls faster than my brain can process. (I never thought I'd say that about an Atari game...)
This is definitely among the better space-shooters I've played on the system, and the distinct gameplay sections in each wave keep things interesting (as does the fuel-regulation mechanic, which I don't hate as much as usual here).

-CasualCart

1166432474_CasualCartPlanetPatrol8290.jpg.afa6aa2e787ce2081af4d2b66d66a5ac.jpg

I finally broke 10k on Planet Patrol [2600] yesterday!

Wave 5 is still too fast for me to keep-up, but I was able to point-press wave 4 with a few strategic deaths to meet my goal. 

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.26a66cb7405d056182d0d87e83cf885e.jpeg

image.jpeg.435fdb6971fc6c2e5ea0f5f305b1e286.jpeg

• Like 4

I recently 100%ed The Wonderful 101 Remastered, a feat I thought was nearly impossible back when I first played the original in 2013.  Summary of my thoughts on it:

• Game's hard.  It's so hard that it's honestly not a whole lot of fun for your first two or three playthroughs.  For any Kamiya or Platinum game, your first playthrough on Normal is the tutorial, but it took me a lot longer than that.  You might feel like a pussy doing this, but I'd recommend dialing the difficulty back on your first playthrough to Easy.  I wish I had done that, and if you end up wanting to 100% it, you'll need to play the lower difficulties anyway.  I actually think if this game had shipped with its second lowest difficulty being labeled Normal instead of Easy, it would have been received better.  The game's onramp seems to make a bit more sense if you play it that way.
  • Game's deep.  There's a lot to learn here if pulling off crazy combos is your thing.  The final mission can be cheesed but there is plenty in there to challenge you if you want it.
  • Buy it on PS4 or PC, not Switch.  Frame rate really drags on the Switch and it messed up my glyph drawing.  I moved to PS4, and the experience was so much better.
  • The voice acting is superb, surprisingly, and worth mentioning.
  • Game is worth 100%ing if you're into this kinda thing.  These kinds of character action games are my bread and butter and I love learning these games' combat systems, and this game's combat is superb.  Now that I've 100%ed it, I'm not that motivated to really master it though.  There's way too much bullshit and the checkpoints are too infrequent for me to even attempt to Pure Platinum everything, and crazy combo videos on youtube are fun to watch but I don't know if I want to git that gud.  I might try to at least platinum everything eventually, though.
  • The missions I died the most on in my first playthroughs eventually became my favorite missions once I gat gud.  Means it's a good game.

I'd give it an 8.5/10

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

I've been playing Beany Bopper [2600] all week. Silly name - great game. I wanted to roll the score, and today I finally did it with 100k points.

After 90k, the game goes crazy - invisible barriers, super fast scrolling, general disorientation - it was a blast, though. Time to retire from this one and pick up something else.

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.91688add75448385bb2a37360b9b7a45.jpeg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Is Dungeons and Doom Knights worth picking up?  I initially passed, but now I'm thinking I may have erred in judgement...

I like it.  It's a little on the easy side, but still pretty cool.  Definitely a quality homebrew.

15 hours ago, Foochie776 said:

I picked up and finished Links Awakening remaster and Simpsons Game PS2 this week. 

As for what’s next, who knows. I’ve got doing a full 120 shrine BotW run on my backlog and Barbie. I may try and tackle Barbie finally. That last level gets me bad! 

Barbie NES?

Mega Man VI, final castle for me.

Took another off-shoot from my backlog list to pursue even more Resident Evil games and am playing the RE2 Remake now.

Since it came out I've heard people go on about how great it was, but having a hard time understanding what made RE games good in the first place, I was kind of sceptic of it. I think warming up with the classic games and finally "getting" what makes them unique, at least kind of, helped prime me for how to approach this game to help appreciate it.

And to be honest it probably does the horror-style tension better than any other game in the series, and is by far the best representation of zombie horror that I've ever seen in any video game.