IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

14 minutes ago, karljobst said:

I disagree when it comes to Halperin. From what I've heard (there is much more than what I put in the video) he does and did sit around thinking about how to make millions, and Wata was one of his ideas (I remind you he has been charged with fraud for multiple schemes). 

The problem I see is that in the best case scenario, people like Deniz do not understand or do not care about their responsibility as a grading company to remain neutral. They are supposed to be an objective party that only deals with the certification and quality assurance of games. They should not be impacting markets, speculating, driving prices up. This is because they have a massive conflict of interest (prices go up - more people grade games/speculate, they charge more). If you allow this kind of behaviour the end result is always market manipulation and fraud. Eventually, someone takes advantage of it. It needs to be stamped out immediately and not tolerated.

Well that's completely inaccurate.  Wata was Deniz and Ken's idea dating back to NA campouts back in the 2013-2014 days.  Halperin wanted to get in on it I'm sure, but not his idea.

And I can understand the bolded point of view.  Perhaps a person in his stature should not comment on values.  But in terms of the $100k Mario from Jan 2019, that was easily $150k by that summer and by the Pawn Stars airing I would have pegged it at $250k+.  He said $300k or so?  He wasn't lying and artificially pumping.  It was blatantly obvious to any "expert" sealed collector that that game was already worth much more than price paid.

Just wanted to clarify.  Maybe he shouldn't speak on that (fair point), but he didn't pull values out of his ass (which I'm not sure if you are implying or not.)

Edited by jonebone
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, jonebone said:

Well that's completely inaccurate.  Wata was Deniz and Ken's idea dating back to NA campouts back in the 2013-2014 days.  Halperin wanted to get in on it I'm sure, but not his idea.

They cannot create a grading company like Wata without a lot of money, that's where people like Jim come in. Let me rephrase.. "It was Jim's idea to help create a grading company he can control/manipulate in order to make money". That doesn't mean people hadn't been wanting to do it previously, but he saw a way to capitalise through it.

Just because something is true, it doesn't mean it should be said. The words of Deniz has impact on the market because of his position, therefore he should stay out of the market and not saying things that may impact it. This is my opinion of course. An example would be the government not telling information that might cause a frenzy in the public. It might be 'true', but the impact of what is being said needs to be considered. 

Private offers do not impact a market very much (because they are private). But Deniz making public private offers, now it has massive impact. Therefore Deniz should not do it.

Edited by karljobst
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1

Agree with him or not, the research is there, even if the presentation maybe a bit murky in spots, but Karl nailed it.  The only thing more could be a secondary or so video, something covering the true key players in this, past issues, create a visible evidence trail, such as with big jimmy there and his actual track record of scamming and legal consequences so anyone can view it fast and easy.  Beyond that more outtakes to other pieces of valid info just not good enough for the primary cut where it could have diluted the value but has some value still standing on the side.  If the authorities are going to get involved, might as well keep it transparent, free, and open at any time and that would do it.  They can whine, but he's not in this country, and as long as it's not outright lies they can moan about slander and libel until they turn blue, it won't matter.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

Events Helper · Posted
56 minutes ago, OptOut said:

I gotta say, sorry @Jeevan, but I think we've found a new champ for thread of the year! 🤣

negative, the thread you are speaking of was started in 2019, my thread was started in 2021 and made @Gloves question why so many times and get mad at me for starting it lol, not really, but he expressed it like why the fuck is this thread a thing....

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

negative, the thread you are speaking of was started in 2019, my thread was started in 2021 and made @Gloves question why so many times and get mad at me for starting it lol, not really, but he expressed it like why the fuck is this thread a thing....

It's still chili.

• Love 1
  • Eyeroll 1

@karljobst - thank you for the video and connecting some of the dots that many had long been suspicious of. Thank you for defending @Dain_ as well. I don’t think any of us really wanted to lump him in with people like Jim and Jeff at the end of day anyways. 

I don’t mention Deniz as I agree with @jonebone that there isn’t a CEO on the planet that doesn’t try to hype up their own company, it is literally their job. While Karl and others point out very well that Deniz should not be assigning value to items he is basically selling through HA, people have a basic responsibility to themselves to say hey, this is CEO of the company grading the game telling me it’s worth a million dollars. Maybe I should take that with a grain of salt. 

WATA making additional money off the perceived market value of your game, that they determine, should be a huge red flag. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm glad that Karl's platform has brought the information to a larger audience.  I feel like I covered a lot of it back in 2019:

Some of the defenses in that thread have aged comically bad.  At the time, WATA hadn't started charging a percentage of "market value" when submitting a game to grade.  Just another way they were able to greatly increase profits while manipulating the market.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Agree 3

We’re nearing page 100 I see.  Has a single buyer of a 6 figure game (better yet, a $500k+ game) been located yet that isn’t affiliated with a video game grading, auction house, or fractional share company?  Until such people appear from the rock they’re apparently all hiding under, I’ll continue to perceive the explosion in sealed video game prices as 90% scumbaggery and 10% naivety.

• Like 6
  • Wow! 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, karljobst said:

I would be happy to speak with Jeff and will try to organise that shortly (I have sponsorship obligations for unrelated youtube videos so I'm not free to do anything until the end of August). I'm happy to speak with anyone.

Can you ask him for some "transparency" on what he gained by nuking our community?

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, zoiks66 said:

We’re nearing page 100 I see.  Has a single buyer of a 6 figure game (better yet, a $500k+ game) been located yet that isn’t affiliated with a video game grading, auction house, or fractional share company?  Until such people appear from the rock they’re apparently all hiding under, I’ll continue to perceive the explosion in sealed video game prices as 90% scumbaggery and 10% naivety.

Yes. I’ve had multiple private offers from collectors.

To @jonebone’s point earlier regarding private offers, all you have to do is post a pic of a sought after game and the messages start coming. There is plenty of demand for five and six figure games.

Edited by kell
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, karljobst said:

Was there ever a statement about why the database was taken offline? Were concerns addressed at any point?

From what I remember Jeff popped in a couple times when NA had the old look to announce improvements and stuff like that. Once the site flipped over to how it looks now Jeff basically disappeared. A lot of people pinged and asked but got nothing but silence. After that we all just starting coming to VGS which became our new home. 

Maybe the ex mods or longer time community members have better information than I do. 

• Agree 4

35 minutes ago, zoiks66 said:

No but I’m sure exploded hamster will chime in saying he knows such and such without anything backing it up. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, kell said:

Yes. I’ve had multiple private offers from collectors.

To @jonebone’s point earlier regarding private offers, all you have to do is post a pic of a sought after game and the messages start coming. 

I’m trying to understand why that’s relevant. If the alleged wata/HA manipulation is directly influencing these offers you describe, then your point is completely moot. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2