IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

1 hour ago, Gulag Joe said:

where he doesn't give any of the people he accuses of committing high crimes to speak out against the allegations he's making against them absolutely equates to him admitting he hates to present a truly fair and unbiased story.

Sick of this dumb argument. No opportunity to speak out? We're all here. We're all waiting. Deniz, Jim, The dentist, Dain, Go Collect Jeff, Heritage, WATA, any one of them can respond to this right now. Hell, maybe Heritage can put out another one of their manipulative press releases. There's always a chance to respond. The ball is literally in their court. If they choose not to respond publicly to this video, then the entire "he didn't give them a chance to speak" argument is moot. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

28 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Sick of this dumb argument. No opportunity to speak out? We're all here. We're all waiting. Deniz, Jim, The dentist, Dain, Go Collect Jeff, Heritage, WATA, any one of them can respond to this right now. Hell, maybe Heritage can put out another one of their manipulative press releases. There's always a chance to respond. The ball is literally in their court. If they choose not to respond publicly to this video, then the entire "he didn't give them a chance to speak" argument is moot. 

He disclosed none of that info in his video that he's currently collecting thousands of dollars on right now. Must be nice to make money off of talking shit about people who weren't given a fair opportunity to defend themselves.

Edited by Gulag Joe
  • Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

FWIW, if I were to sell a company I started from the ground up for a significant amount of money, I would go on vacation. Ole Karl's attempted contact happened 5 days after the sale, so he should've reached out to CU.

Joe... just how much have you invested in graded games? Please dont tell me you liquidated the kids' college funds for graded PS3 and 360 games?! HONEY NO!!!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 7

Social Team · Posted
2 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

I wonder who gave that guy Karl all the info. Someone from the inner circle was left off the money train and got jealous I bet... and that psa from pat the NES punk was so cringey at the end. 

This may be a shocker but whistle blowers bring up things like this for more than just being pissed off on not making money.  Not everyone is drived by greed like WATA/HA 😏

Edited by FireHazard51
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

It's a shame that there are absolutely no avenues for WATA or Heritage Auction to reply themselves and refute Karl's findings.  

If the sale to CU has already gone through, they likely aren't allowed to talk about the company publicly without approval.

If it hasn't gone through, then they'd be foolish to risk the sale by speaking publicly, anyway.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

If the sale to CU has already gone through, they likely aren't allowed to talk about the company publicly without approval.

If it hasn't gone through, then they'd be foolish to risk the sale by speaking publicly, anyway.

That doesn't make it impossible to refute his findings, so my sarcasm still stands.  

• Like 1

I don’t have any sealed or graded games. I’m a cart only guy who only really has CIB games when things moved to discs. I don’t personally understand the graded market, but I’ve had levelheaded users like @RH help me better understand the preservation aspect of the hobby.

I will say that I find the video to be pretty useful in seeing some connections that I saw in bits and pieces over the years just looking at these companies that impacted the market. I can’t try to mind read intentions, but the interest in investors jumping into the hobby is not surprising considering other hobbies that have seen booms.

I think some of the hype coming from the examples in the video are genuine belief in the industry, but I do think some of these transactions and the publicity around them are questionable. I work in a profession where independence is critical to my career and it’s clear to me that it is lacking in several cases referenced in the video. As a person who values actual and perceived independence for industries where reputations are critical, especially when considering so called authorities, I don’t trust pretty much every party mentioned in this video.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Alder said:

This tweet seems relevant given the "he didn't bother to reach out" argument, though I wonder if he tried reaching out to anyone else.

There's kind of a substantial difference between "making someone aware" (oddly vague phrasing) that you are "investigating" (presumably the whole area in general), and actually giving them a right of reply to specific allegations. Notably, one of the sites that reported on the video *did* contact HA to put the allegations to them, and got the reply cited a few pages back.

Of course, Karl doesn't "have" to do that any more than WATA "has" to disclose population reports. He's probably not signed up to any professional journalistic code of ethics, after all. But sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander - if you can judge WATA/HA for doing things you dislike that aren't against any actual laws or rules, you can equally well judge Karl for the same, I guess.

• Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 2

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

Interpretation, I think.

Let's consider the whole frame, as well as that he's using footage that is taken from elsewhere.

"...it honestly sickens me that these people...":

image.png

I don't believe he's got any issue with graded or slabbed in general games. He calls them cherished possessions! Further, one of the guys he recommends following collects graded games; he seems to be doing so out of an interest in the hobby of it however, whereas the dentist who's being touted as the most dedicated collector of video games ever is on record stating that he's recognized this as a speculative market bubble that he wants to get in on the ground floor of.

When this man points at his "collection" he's pointing at dollar signs, unlike someone like, say, yourself who I see regularly on Instagram sharing details of your history with the titles. This dentist dude didn't know that video games were a THING a few years ago, according to him.

Further to your excellent post, 2 things I would like to add:

1. Whether you’re into gaming, have a passion for collecting, or fancy some speculating and dreaming of million dollar yachts and ladies.....”cherished possessions” is a very fair term!

2. You can argue that because he doesn’t have a hand in the WATA grading scene, and assuming he did his due diligence in the research, his point of views are likely to be the most impartial.

Bonus 3rd point, if I had a choice to have a valuation advice on a sealed game, I’d lean onto Karl than the WATA-dentist guy. One might own more graded games, but the other has more the heart in the hobby.

Edited by GPX
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

You are missing the point of my post.

As I understood it, your point was that it's moot to criticize Karl for not giving people a right of reply if they don't reply even after the video is public and widely discussed and they must be aware of it, right?

But I'm saying that doesn't hold in the case of HA at least, because HA *did* respond when someone made them aware of the allegations and asked for comment. This implies they likely would have provided a response to Karl if he had asked them for one.

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, AdamW said:

As I understood it, your point was that it's moot to criticize Karl for not giving people a right of reply if they don't reply even after the video is public and widely discussed and they must be aware of it, right?

But I'm saying that doesn't hold in the case of HA at least, because HA *did* respond when someone made them aware of the allegations and asked for comment. This implies they likely would have provided a response to Karl if he had asked them for one.

sorry, but u really think they would have provided a response beside nuh uh, and then stuck their tongue out and ran away like a little kid?

Didn't they just respond as they did an internal look at themselves and then say nope we are good, it's all false?  Or did I miss a post?

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Just now, AdamW said:

Not quite.  My point was to criticize those who are claiming Karl's video has no merit simply because he didn't mention giving the accused an option to respond.  Even though he gave them the option, he didn't have to simply because nothing can stop them from replying on their own if they choose.  Whether or not they actually respond has nothing to do with my comment.

But since my comment was pure sarcasm (and a little smart ass), I can understand how it could be interpreted differently.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

sorry, but u really think they would have provided a response beside nuh uh, and then stuck their tongue out and ran away like a little kid?

Didn't they just respond as they did an internal look at themselves and then say nope we are good, it's all false?  Or did I miss a post?

They responded and denied the allegations of shill bidding. Which would be a very bad look if they did it and somebody can prove it.

Denying it means either they're very stupid (if they did it, and someone can prove it), honest (they didn't do it), or smart (they did it and they're damn sure nobody can prove it).

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, AdamW said:

They responded and denied the allegations of shill bidding. Which would be a very bad look if they did it and somebody can prove it.

Denying it means either they're very stupid (if they did it, and someone can prove it), honest (they didn't do it), or smart (they did it and they're damn sure nobody can prove it).

true, but do you think that if they were contacted ahead of time, that they would have responded anyway, except to threaten with legal actions, or making sure they were good and burning records 🤣.  Point is, there really is a lot pointing to the unethical practices and that is the real point.  The problem is, not one of the people here talking in this thread really have a podium on which to stand to tell the story that the video did.  I for one do not care, but I hope that the parties involved get what's coming to them if this is 100% true, and can be proven to be illegal, and are actually prosecuted!  

Long and the short, I hope whoever, or whatever caused the huge spike in game collecting falls off the face of the earth, even if it is possibly round 😏.  But anyway, carry on, I just thought that I would say a thing or two.  I just wish I had more in my collection before thus whole bs started, then I wouldn't care, because I would have all the video games and could enjoy the hobby more than what I do now, if that makes sense.  It's not that I don't enjoy the hobby, it would just be a bit easier on my wallet is all 😆

• Like 3