IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

Stadium Events is trash. And people paying thousands of dollars for a game nobody played or bought is the real crime that's been happening in the collecting community for years. THAT is the real market manipulation.

Based on the way the video game collecting community reacted to the high prices of Stadium Events, sports card hobbies with short prints of players who were never any good at the pro level should command thousands of dollars too. But they don't because those markets weren't manipulated like they were by the early collectors in the video game community. These players literally bought up all the junk nobody played or bought, then went to internet forums to hype up their junk that those games are "rArE", and this resulted in many other collectors falling for the scam. Maybe I should make a YouTube video about it so some of you take it seriously.

"You need this game to complete your set! I have 12 of them and they're now $1,000 each!"

• Wow! 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 3

18 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

Stadium Events is trash. And people paying thousands of dollars for a game nobody played or bought is the real crime that's been happening in the collecting community for years. THAT is the real market manipulation.

Based on the way the video game collecting community reacted to the high prices of Stadium Events, sports card hobbies with short prints of players who were never any good at the pro level should command thousands of dollars too. But they don't because those markets weren't manipulated like they were by the early collectors in the video game community. These players literally bought up all the junk nobody played or bought, then went to internet forums to hype up their junk that those games are "rArE", and this resulted in many other collectors falling for the scam. Maybe I should make a YouTube video about it so some of you take it seriously.

"You need this game to complete your set! I have 12 of them and they're now $1,000 each!"

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Atwood paid $20 for a pallet of junked Stadium Events and then hyped the junk up on the internet to 4 figures and it happened so long ago that many of you still believe his bullshit to be true to this day and didn't even realize you were being conned. That is the biggest scam I've seen in this hobby. It's the "Stadium Events" of market manipulating scams.

• Love 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 2

1 minute ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

This threads like arguing with your girlfriend all day, and by night you can't even remember what you're arguing about anymore... 

it's a conversation about the difference between ethical, unethical, and illegal and it's important for everyone to understand the differences between all 3

where there's smoke ....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gulag Joe said:

Atwood paid $20 for a pallet of junked Stadium Events and then hyped the junk up on the internet to 4 figures and it happened so long ago that many of you still believe his bullshit to be true to this day and didn't even realize you were being conned. That is the biggest scam I've seen in this hobby. It's the "Stadium Events" of market manipulating scams.

Complete bullshit dude, you have ABSOLUTELY no idea what you are talking about. Stadium Events was understood to be a scarce game as far back as the late 90's when the very first NES collectors began hunting games in preowned sections, bargain bins and flea markets.

The value of Stadium Events today is based on over two DECADES of organic growth within the existing collecting community. Yes, the game began cheap, especially compared to today, but it was never freely available, it was ALWAYS hard to find, ever more so as the retro collecting scene grew in size and popularity from around 09 onwards.

Requiring the game for a fullset is not an arbitrary requirement foisted upon collectors from others, it is a CHOICE that certain collectors made in formulating their own collecting goals. Many people didn't and don't collect full sets, and many were happy with a fullset -SE, it was up to each collector to decide. The price of the game went up when the true completionists sought it out, for the purposes of owning it to complete their collections. Profit motive, although a concern for some, was generally not the primary motivation to collect.

It is almost the exact opposite of the shit we are seeing being churned today, and I hope you've already made good money dude, because if you're holding for the longterm, I mean... YIKES, you know...

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Complete bullshit dude, you have ABSOLUTELY no idea what you are talking about. Stadium Events was understood to be a scarce game as far back as the late 90's when the very first NES collectors began hunting games in preowned sections, bargain bins and flea markets.

The value of Stadium Events today is based on over two DECADES of organic growth within the existing collecting community. Yes, the game began cheap, especially compared to today, but it was never freely available, it was ALWAYS hard to find, ever more so as the retro collecting scene grew in size and popularity from around 09 onwards.

Requiring the game for a fullset is not an arbitrary requirement foisted upon collectors from others, it is a CHOICE that certain collectors made in formulating their own collecting goals. Many people didn't and don't collect full sets, and many were happy with a fullset -SE, it was up to each collector to decide. The price of the game went up when the true completionists sought it out, for the purposes of owning it to complete their collections. Profit motive, although a concern for some, was generally not the primary motivation to collect.

It is almost the exact opposite of the shit we are seeing being churned today, and I hope you've already made good money dude, because if you're holding for the longterm, I mean... YIKES, you know...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

"Organic growth"!!!

Take a look below: iT's SuPeR rArE aNd SuPeR sCaRcE! YoU NEED iT!

Screenshot_20210825-084543_eBay.jpg

• Confused 2
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 2

6 hours ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Top condition items of popular franchises/athletes/characters are what sell when hobbies transform into large-scale collectibles (Jordan rookies, Charizards, Turtles, etc). SE and Dinosaur Peak are games basically nobody played and have absolutely no large-scale impact. They are niche. They will still sell fine,  as enough old school collectors are around, but the items that will be worth the most will be the highest grade Marios, Zeldas, and Pokemons of the world. 

I have to agree with this assessment 100%. In other collectible hobbies, like in card collecting (Jordan, Curry, Bird, Mantle, etc.), comic collecting (Spiderman, Wolverine, Hulk, etc.), action figures collecting (Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Snake Eyes, He-man, Megatron, etc.) and now with video games (Mario, Pokemon, Link, Sonic, popular movie titles, comic character games with the influx of comic collectors and now we are starting to see popular sports stars' games becoming popular, with the influx of card collectors into the hobby.) I am not surprised at all to see this exact same trend happen in video game collecting too.

Now that video game collecting has so many new people in the hobby, is a more main stream hobby and has become a more established hobby like the ones mentioned above, it was inevitable for the collecting trend (to reverse itself) of what games the majority of collectors would want in their collections.

2 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

"Organic growth"!!!

Take a look below: iT's SuPeR rArE aNd SuPeR sCaRcE! YoU NEED iT!

Your frames of reference are entirely inappropriate to understand videogame collecting. These are not sports cards. Video game collecting has a unique culture and history that you seem ENTIRELY unaware of.

Videogames are not sports cards. If you treat them as such, you will be in for a nasty awakening once the pumpers have made their dough and gotten out. Be careful.

2 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

"I bought pallets of trash video games that nobody bought or played for pennies on the dollar and then flipped them for hundreds to thousands of dollars by telling people on the internet that they're rare." -Definitely Atwood

This is a great example of how laughably ill-informed you are. Atwood has nothing to do with the growth in price of Stadium Events. Stadium Events and all the well known rare NES games were all actively sought after and highly desired by collectors WAY before he turned up.

You know so little, but as USUSAL you are in here trying to school collectors who've been a part of this scene for DECADES, spewing nothing but bullshit, it's embarrassing frankly.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Your frames of reference are entirely inappropriate to understand videogame collecting. These are not sports cards. Video game collecting has a unique culture and history that you seem ENTIRELY unaware of.

Videogames are not sports cards. If you treat them as such, you will be in for a nasty awakening once the pumpers have made their dough and gotten out. Be careful.

This is a great example of how laughably ill-informed you are. Atwood has nothing to do with the growth in price of Stadium Events. Stadium Events and all the well known rare NES games were all actively sought after and highly desired by collectors WAY before he turned up.

You know so little, but as USUSAL you are in here trying to school collectors who've been a part of this scene for DECADES, spewing nothing but bullshit, it's embarrassing frankly.

You can make all the excuses you want, but this is exactly what happened. It's happened so long ago that you truly want to believe it's true and worth it to pay thousands of dollars for a trash game nobody bought or played. It's the pinnacle of the stereotype "iT'S rArE tHeReFoRe It MuSt Be WoRtH tHoUsAnDs"

Stadium Events was the pioneer of that argument for anything rare. You were conned.

There are articles about this game going back more than a decade and every single one of them mention how great and smart Atwood was!

Edited by Gulag Joe
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 1

11 hours ago, broncofantd793 said:

Again, not focusing on the money.  We're focusing on ethics.  I chose toothpicks as the simplest item I could think of to highlight the behavior of the individuals.  I could've built my example around real estate, cards, swampland, stamps, etc.  I went bare bones to flush it out.  For fun though, are all toothpicks in identical condition? I would think not, especially after use.

We're just on opposite ends of this.

To be fair, I'm going to come to Jone's defense a tiny bit here. There's different niche collecting circles within video games. Jone has a comparatively large number of sealed and/or graded games compared to most of us. My assumption is some of those were probably pretty expensive.  Is he supposed to sit at home and hope all of his games are now worthless? He has an interest in WATA/HA that most of us do not have. Would any of you not defend your point of view if you were him? Remember his position.

I have to say that Jonebone has been one of the most respected members of the video game community that dates all the way back to the very start of NA and I can tell you that he won't hesitate to call a spade a spade.

There have been so many instances that I would post a sealed game that sold for a very high amount (that Jone owns) in the, "Look at these prices....unreal right?" topic and Jone would quickly say that it shouldn't have sold for that amount or that he was surprised that it fetched that amount, the game isn't worth near that amount, etc.

Another example of Jonebone's true character is when I made a topic called "The one that got away" and he said that his biggest selling/trading regret was trading his perfect conditioned Sqoon box, instead of saying something like selling his sealed Snes VGA 85 first print Super Mario World a few years back when they weren't as valuable as they are now. I know most of us, probably wouldn't have hesitated to say that game, instead of a rare Nes box.

So I know for a fact that he has no alternate agenda other than giving his honest opinion on what is going on in the hobby and with the high end sales on Ebay, Heritage, CertifiedLink, etc.

Jonebone is a true asset to our community and we are lucky to have him here on this forum.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

5 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

You can make all the excuses you want, but this is exactly what happened. It's happened so long ago that you truly want to believe it's true and worth it to pay thousands of dollars for a trash game nobody bought or played. It's the pinnacle of the stereotype "iT'S rArE tHeReFoRe It MuSt Be WoRtH tHoUsAnDs"

Stadium Events was the pioneer of that argument for anything rare. You were conned.

There are articles about this game going back more than a decade and every single one of them mention how great and smart Atwood was!

First of all, I don't know why you've picked me out of the crowd on this SE thing, I am not a fullset collector, and I don't even own a single US NES game.

Secondly, Tim Atwood is not the progenitor of Stadium Events as a collectable! This is so ludicrously wrong you MUST be trolling! 🤣

I love how all your knowledge of video games seemingly comes from puff pieces and marketing hype, lol! You are EXACTLY the kind of rube Jim Halpern and all of the HA and WATA boys are looking for. Good luck to ya.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

To be fair SE has a proven track record of being incredibly rare, wherein a sealed SM64 or SMB that is graded highly has an unknown rarity given that certain companies won’t release population reports. 

I want to stop coming to this thread but it’s so interesting!

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, OptOut said:

First of all, I don't know why you've picked me out of the crowd on this SE thing, I am not a fullset collector, and I don't even own a single US NES game.

Secondly, Tim Atwood is not the progenitor of Stadium Events as a collectable! This is so ludicrously wrong you MUST be trolling! 🤣

I love how all your knowledge of video games seemingly comes from puff pieces and marketing hype, lol! You are EXACTLY the kind of rube Jim Halpern and all of the HA and WATA boys are looking for. Good luck to ya.

You were the only one active so yes I'm trolling a little bit. However, the hype behind Stadium Events is the same type of hype that's happening right now with high grade sealed games.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3

1 minute ago, Gulag Joe said:

You were the only one active so yes I'm trolling a little bit. However, the hype behind Stadium Events is the same type of hype that's happening right now with high grade sealed games.

I mean, I've already outlined several ways in which it's not, but if you are unwilling to engage in discussion in good faith then fuck it, you know. 

If you want me to repeat myself I'm gonna have to start charging because my time ain't cheap dude. 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

"I bought pallets of trash video games that nobody bought or played for pennies on the dollar and then flipped them for hundreds to thousands of dollars by telling people on the internet that they're rare." -Definitely Atwood

I'm confused.  Are you saying that Stadium Events is actually not rare?

Also...

Of course,  everyone's favorite baseball player Honus Wagner! No wonder the card sold for 3 million... 

And Jawas are my all time favorite Star Wars characters. Why wouldn't I pay tens of thousands for a vinyl cape edition!?

Yeah... solid. SOLID arguements here.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

I'm confused.  Are you saying that Stadium Events is actually not rare?

Also...

Of course,  everyone's favorite baseball player Honus Wagner! No wonder the card sold for 3 million... 

And Jawas are my all time favorite Star Wars characters. Why wouldn't I pay tens of thousands for a vinyl cape edition!?

Yeah... solid. SOLID arguements here.  

No I was very specific. I said Stadium Events is TRASH.

It's trash that got hyped up to be infinitely more than what it's truly worth. Honus Wagner was a great baseball player. Star Wars is arguably the most popular movie franchises of all time. Stadium Events is none of those things. It's a giant stinking pile of trash.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, jonebone said:

I'll add one detailed counter response if anyone cares to read.  

You have to watch until the 51 minute part until the agenda becomes clear, he admits hating graded games.  Compare this to any real investigative journalism like 20/20 where they interview all parties, he never bothered to reach out to any of the people he was tarnishing.  Even CNN and professional sites will at least say that so-and-so said "No Comment", when asked; we didn't even get that.

Everything in the video was accurate. I couldn't care less if he hates graded games and whether that influenced him to make the video.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

Just now, Gulag Joe said:

No I was very specific. I said Stadium Events is TRASH.

It's trash that got hyped up to be infinitely more than what it's truly worth. Honus Wagner was a great baseball player. Star Wars is arguably the most popular movie franchises of all time. Stadium Events is none of those things. It's a giant stinking pile of trash.

Stadium Events is the rarest game on what many believe to be the greatest video game system of all time.

See how easy this is? Give it a rest bud, go and cry into your piles of sealed 360 an PS3 investments.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Stadium Events is the rarest game on what many believe to be the greatest video game system of all time.

See how easy this is? Give it a rest bud, go and cry into your piles of sealed 360 an PS3 investments.

You can scream "rare game" all day long. That Ryan Leaf rookie is a rare card. I'm gonna draw up a comic book and send it to Vista Print to have 50 books made. You can be first in line to pay $10k because it's a rare comic book. Every page will be Stadium Events looking for ways to escape the trash dump. Atwood shows up at the end for the cliffhanger.

4 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

You can scream "rare game" all day long. That Ryan Leaf rookie is a rare card. I'm gonna draw up a comic book and send it to Vista Print to have 50 books made. You can be first in line to pay $10k because it's a rare comic book. Every page will be Stadium Events looking for ways to escape the trash dump. Atwood shows up at the end for the cliffhanger.

I mean, it's rare and there are people who want it. I dunno what to tell you. It's still selling for tens of thousands of dollars on heritage auctions. What's your point again?

39 minutes ago, Dumars2001 said:

I have to say that Jonebone has been one of the most respected members of the video game community that dates all the way back to the very start of NA and I can tell you that he won't hesitate to call a spade a spade.

There have been so many instances that I would post a sealed game that sold for a very high amount (that Jone owns) in the, "Look at these prices....unreal right?" topic and Jone would quickly say that it shouldn't have sold for that amount or that he was surprised that it fetched that amount, the game isn't worth near that amount, etc.

Another example of Jonebone's true character is when I made a topic called "The one that got away" and he said that his biggest selling/trading regret was trading his perfect conditioned Sqoon box, instead of saying something like selling his sealed Snes VGA 85 first print Super Mario World a few years back when they weren't as valuable as they are now. I know most of us, probably wouldn't have hesitated to say that game, instead of a rare Nes box.

So I know for a fact that he has no alternate agenda other than giving his honest opinion on what is going on in the hobby and with the high end sales on Ebay, Heritage, CertifiedLink, etc.

Jonebone is a true asset to our community and we are lucky to have him here on this forum.

It's OK to like Jonebone and still think Deniz is an asshole con artist. I have the utmost respect for Jone (maybe he does not feel the same way about me) but I disagree with him on this.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2