IGNORED

Sellers remorse? What's your biggest regret?

I've very rarely sold anything that wasn't a double, and I still have all the games that I owned during my childhood outside of a few GB games that were lost.
Occasionally I'd sell, if possible, shitty games that came with larger lots, but even with those I tend to keep a lot of them just because it hurts to see any game go.

But a couple of years ago I decided to clean out some of my arcade stuff, because original PCBs take up a ton of storage space, so I figured it would be best to just keep the games I felt certain I'd get some genuine playtime out of.

So I sold Gals Panic (because it's just a dumb, lewd Qix clone) and Tiger Road (because I gave it a few attempts and hated how making any progress relied on basically abusing game mechanics), and never made it any further than that.
I still regret selling Tiger Road - It's a Capcom classic after all, and its price has gone up to like 8x the amount of what I sold it for since then due to the recent price hike in nearly every arcade game.

At least the guy I sold it to has given me some nice deals on a few other arcade games, and I know it's in a good home.

Another thing I sold back in the days was a Neo Geo AES. I sold it only weeks after getting it because I really just wanted the arcade sticks, and I figured that buying AES games would ruin me immediately. While I don't really miss owning it, I know I'll never get another chance at owning one due to the absurd prices they sell for now. I sold it with just a gamepad (kept both sticks) and one of the World Heroes games for $75, which is the same as I paid for the entire thing imported from Japan, so at least I didn't lose any money in the deal.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 12:49 PM, attakid101 said:

Without question my biggest seller’s regret is letting go of my precious Vectrex. I loved that machine. And not just as a collector’s piece. I played that thing all the time. I don’t even remember why I decided to sell it...

I've got one collecting dust, along with a bunch of CIB games.  Shipping would be rough though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking back at my eBay sold history (started in 2007), it's pretty depressing in hindsight. A few highlights:

- Haunting Ground (Sealed) - $11.72

- Rule of Rose (Sealed) - $20

- Conker's BFD w/ Strategy Guide - $21

- Skygunner - $5.24

- PS1 Shooter Lot (Thunderforce, Raystorm, Raycrisis) - $17.99

Granted, these WERE the prices at the time I guess, but shit...

• Sad 2

Years ago I bought a gold Game Boy Light off eBay at whatever the current going price was (this might have been 9 years ago?) and I sold it a few years later because I figured I didn't need it. I regret that. That's one of my favorite Game Boy models and I won't find it at the price I paid then, now. 

My biggest sellers' remorse was selling my launch edition Genesis + games to a pawn shop in college.  And it wasn't remorse in hindsight, it's pretty damn immediate at a pawn shop lol.  People like to bitch about Gamestop's trade-in values, but they've got nuthin' on pawn shops.  Someone out there has my Phantasy Star II hint book with my notes and dungeon paths marked in pencil, as well as my revision 1 Revenge of Shinobi.  Not a NWC cart for sure, but definitely high in sentimental value.

not things I sold, but...

I regret I never took the time to learn how to repair my pinball machine and I didn't have any room for it in my new house. My parents eventually sold it for $100 😞 just to get it out of their house.

I also wish I new what had happened to: My original 2600& Games, my old board games and toys... My parents said they didn't get rid of them. But they are gone without a trace.

On 1/2/2020 at 3:40 PM, Silent Hill said:

Looking back at my eBay sold history (started in 2007), it's pretty depressing in hindsight. A few highlights:

- Haunting Ground (Sealed) - $11.72

- Rule of Rose (Sealed) - $20

- Conker's BFD w/ Strategy Guide - $21

- Skygunner - $5.24

- PS1 Shooter Lot (Thunderforce, Raystorm, Raycrisis) - $17.99

Granted, these WERE the prices at the time I guess, but shit...

I went back to my files because I remembered selling some sealed Zombie Nations in late 2011 right before they spiked (tripled / quadrupled) in 2012.

August 2011 - Traded a Zombie Nation Sealed (MINT, VGA 90ish estimate) for a CIB Snow Bros (manual missing cover) + North South CIB + Talespin CIB + $55.  Might have been to @BalloonFight if my memory serves me correctly?

Sept 2011 - Sold Zombie Nation Sealed (MINT, VGA 90ish estimate) / GI Joe Atlantis Factor Sealed (not sure of condition) for $325 shipped to Mario's Left Nut.  Yeah that one stings.

Granted I bought the Zombie Nations for $125 each in August 2011 but man prices can move fast and in a hurry...

Here I am trying to finish off a NES CIB set (less SE) and I still need Zombie Nation of course.  Part of me is bitter at the price increase so I intentionally pass it over.

• Wow! 1
  • Sad 1

Some time has passed. I miss my Commodore 64. The people who made the C64 Mini have made a full sized model with a working keyboard, so once that releases in the United States I may look into that.

I looked at prices of Haunting Ground and I regret so much selling that as a kid. I almost feel like I want to “avenge” my childhood and buy it again. But I do genuinely want to play it again.

• 3 weeks later...
Administrator · Posted
On 1/10/2020 at 2:04 PM, The Strangest said:

Some time has passed. I miss my Commodore 64. The people who made the C64 Mini have made a full sized model with a working keyboard, so once that releases in the United States I may look into that.

I looked at prices of Haunting Ground and I regret so much selling that as a kid. I almost feel like I want to “avenge” my childhood and buy it again. But I do genuinely want to play it again.

I really like Haunting Ground, it was really enjoyable when I played it last year. 

• Like 1

I guess I regret selling my second wave of SNES games including the Chrono Trigger I had bought with my birthday money. This includes Super Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back, NBA Jam, Mortal Kombat II, Final Fantasy III. And maybe my OG N64 stuff even tho I would never play it again.

As for the 2010+ collecting, I regret nothing I've sold. It was never a matter of urgency and always more about the shifts in my collecting philosophy. Some games gained value since, some lost, but I always got prices I was happy with at the moment items and lots were sold.

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg
typos

On 11/19/2019 at 9:16 PM, BigHero1006 said:

I really miss my Gottlieb Super Mario pinball machine 🥺🥺.  I sold it 6-8 years ago for $1200.  I tried to get one again a few months back but it has nearly tripled in price.  

Games aren't the only collectibles that have seen recent price spikes, pinball prices have also seen new ceilings.

I miss the NES/SNES/Genesis games I sold as a kid.  Who wants to play 8-bit when you have 16-bits?! 😞  Would love to have those back.  Even though I've reacquired most of them, it's not the same as having the actual games we had played and enjoyed. 

Wish I had all the N64 boxes/manuals I threw out to make room in a closet as well.

Edited by kell

I've sold very little over the years outside of doubles, so fortunately, nothing much to regret as far as games go.  However, I unfortunately got rid of all my gaming magazines several years ago when I was trying to make room in my previous home.  I didn't even sell them.  They just went into recycling.  I didn't lose anything valuable.  The vast majority were PSM.  But I still regret it because I would love to read through those magazines again today.  If I ever had a chance to get a bunch of them back I would, but it's not something I would pay money for so it's not likely to happen.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 1:17 AM, jumpman1229 said:

My biggest selling regret is selling Gamecube component cables I found for $4 at a thrift store for a price of $100 shipped 

Not that I regret it A ton but that pocky rocky with Becky is mine haha. That cart shot up in value I fell right after I sold you mine

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Romiked2689 said:

Not that I regret it A ton but that pocky rocky with Becky is mine haha. That cart shot up in value I fell right after I sold you mine

Haha! Did you ever get another one? If it makes you feel any better, I have enjoyed having it in my collection quite a bit xD