IGNORED

Sellers remorse? What's your biggest regret?

Sold nearly everything in my collection roughly 2 years ago for funds/space.  I dont really regret selling everything as much as i regret allowing myself to even get to a position where i felt that was necessary.  My family was in shock as they knew these games were very important to me, and id had some of them practically my entire life.  Made sure to keep the most sentimental ones, mainly because i couldnt bring myself to let them go, so about 10 out of the 2-300+ are still around

Relatively worth it in the end as it allowed me to focus on the female and fix our relationship.  I also have a new outlook on collecting which i believe will be much more satisfying in the end.

Gotta do whacha gotta do

Edited by Freakshow87
  • Like 1

Oh man. I regret getting married. Hell, I regret ever meeting that chick and wasting over 20 years of my life. I had a great collection spanning many systems. Had to sell all of my shit, ALL OF IT. For pennies on the dollar because apparently I wasn’t good enough and/or worked too much that she decided she wanted to be with a kid, literally a kid of 19 years old and somehow felt entitled to more than she deserved. I really miss those games and consoles. A lot of which I will most likely never own again due to prices.😢

Gonna end this on a good note though. I’ve started collecting again and I’m loving it. Finding good deals, trading with people here and locally, swap meets..... Man have I met some cool people. 

• Wow! 2
  • Sad 1

No true selling regrets, just learned a few lessons along the way about due diligence and assumptions.

I do wish I hung onto the Commodore stuff from my first house move instead of leaving it behind since I was sooooo done moving shit.   But it's not a real regret; could likely rebuy most of that stuff pretty easily if I wanted to.

Also a bit of the opposite- I wish I sold more of this shit sooner than hanging onto all this crap.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Freakshow87 said:

Sold nearly everything in my collection roughly 2 years ago for funds/space.  I dont really regret selling everything as much as i regret allowing myself to even get to a position where i felt that was necessary.  My family was in shock as they knew these games were very important to me, and id had some of them practically my entire life.  Made sure to keep the most sentimental ones, mainly because i couldnt bring myself to let them go, so about 10 out of the 2-300+ are still around

I had to do the same thing about two years ago. I manage to get by with my NES and SNES classic consoles, but I miss having a closet full of actual carts.

On 11/4/2019 at 2:35 PM, theirontoupee said:

Aside from my childhood stuff, my mint CIB copy of James Buster Douglas for the SMS. I needed ernest money for our upcoming house purchase at the time so it was a needed sale, but I still miss it.

Man!  I seriously regret selling mine.  It was minty goodness.

I sold off 90% of my collection years ago.  I don’t regret selling most of it BUT I was within 5 or so titles to complete collections of the Atari 7800 and SMS.  Most of the 7800 was sealed too.

20 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I had to do the same thing about two years ago. I manage to get by with my NES and SNES classic consoles, but I miss having a closet full of actual 

Its been flash carts and cheap console mods for me, which has been pretty fantastic, but i still miss all the visual apppeal that comes with physical copies.  Itll all come back around eventually 😎

The closest thing I have to regrets is selling the more valuable stuff in my collection right before my kid was born.  I sold a substantial chunk of my collection but specifically I miss, Star Fox Weekend, NTF2 Test Cart, Little Samson, Pocky and Rocky 1 & 2, and Dragon Fighter.  We had a small emergency and really needed money quickly at the time.  Selling those games helped us out without going into debt and we're better off for it.

I like to think I'll eventually get copies of those games someday but we just bought a house and that will suck up all my money for the time being

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

The closest thing I have to regrets is selling the more valuable stuff in my collection right before my kid was born.  I sold a substantial chunk of my collection but specifically I miss, Star Fox Weekend, NTF2 Test Cart, Little Samson, Pocky and Rocky 1 & 2, and Dragon Fighter.  We had a small emergency and really needed money quickly at the time.  Selling those games helped us out without going into debt and we're better off for it.

I like to think I'll eventually get copies of those games someday but we just bought a house and that will suck up all my money for the time being

Worth it😁

Not too much. A few items I could have done much better if I hung onto them a little longer from a monetary standpoint but nothing overly significant.

On 11/7/2019 at 8:56 PM, captmorgandrinker said:

Also a bit of the opposite- I wish I sold more of this shit sooner than hanging onto all this crap.

This is where I am at too. I sold a lot of the big ticket stuff but I never realized just how many games I bought (and will never touch) from about 2009-2015. The sad thing is, a lot of these games aren't even worth the time to sell so they continue to sit. Oh, and Amiibos - Major buying regret there. More so from the amount of time and effort it took to collect them. I just shake my head thinking back to those times and what I went through to get some of them.... dark days.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Not a sale, but my worst collecting regret: Somehow I ended up with a TurboGrafx-16 as a child. I was the only person I knew who had one, but I was a weird kid with few friends and completely fell in love with its unique orange-and-black weirdness. I was also a spoiled kid, so I managed to compile a decent little collection of games, some nice peripherals, and even that first clunky iteration of the CD drive (the one that doubled as a terrible but extremely rad portable CD player). At some point, though, I moved on to Super Nintendo like everyone else, and the TG16 stuff ended up tucked away in a big plastic box in my mom's attic. 

Fast forward a couple of decades, and I come across the box while going through old stuff. Everything was in pristine condition, but I didn't have room for it all in my tiny apartment, so I left the box where it was. (I should also mention that I wasn't much of a collector by that point and didn't realize how much the stuff was worth.) I checked in on it every few months with the intention of taking it home as soon as I moved somewhere with some extra space.

Another couple of years pass and my wife and I finally get our first house, so I go at long last to get the box. It is, of course, gone. Frantic, I practically turn the attic inside out, but still no box. After asking around the fam I discover that a relative with serious substance abuse issues had been going through places like my mom's attic looking for things to sell, and my childhood TurboGrafx collection apparently looked just valuable enough to haul off down to the pawn shop. So, yeah, that's a regret of mine. I hope the maybe $100 they got out of it bought some good sh*t.

• Like 1

The only things I regret selling are all of my childhood Pokemon cartridges. Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, and the Trading Card game all went to the local GameStop in exchange for SSBM basically straight across. I've since replaced them, but that's not the point. I had all 151 on both Red and Blue, and all 250 on Gold and Silver, and I sold all that hard work and love to GameStop for $60.

I still have all of my holos from back in the day, and they're still my most precious cards, but I miss those games every time I look at my Pokemon stuff.

Edited by Philosoraptor

On 11/6/2019 at 5:27 AM, Bearcat-Doug said:

That would be the guy that bought it from me then. I heard he still had it a couple of years ago, but I wasn't sure if he still had it since it's been around 7 years since I sold it.

As far as I know he still has it ,he has had it graded ..That particular NWC is pretty nice and graded pretty high ,”Wayne “said he has no intention of selling it ..

I regret selling my first Sega Genesis, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Wii, and all the games I had with them.  I've also owned a ton of now expensive NES and SNES games that I always figured I could just buy back later.  No doubt, mistakes were made.  Out of them all, selling that Dreamcast was probably my biggest regret.

On 11/12/2019 at 5:49 PM, attakid101 said:

Without question my biggest seller’s regret is letting go of my precious Vectrex. I loved that machine. And not just as a collector’s piece. I played that thing all the time. I don’t even remember why I decided to sell it...

I came across a Vectrex with a controller and a few games/screens at Goodwill for $50 a number of years ago when I was coming back from the beach. Literally one of the only times I didn't have my wallet on me when leaving the house in the last 20 years. I drove back to my place which takes about 10 minutes each way and by the time I got back it was gone. It's was a relatively small town too... I couldn't believe it. Was pretty bummed about it at the time.

Sold it on February 12, 2013, for a wedding ring (she did say yes, but turns out she had a lot going on behind my back. Things fell apart). Weren't many people looking for it at the time. Last one went for $1200, but I tried selling my copy for quite some time before accepting this offer:

1882051796_greymm.png.42f7520c45b6b20cbc0406c11c4224b4.png

On the plus side, it now belongs to what is recognized by the Guinness World Records as the 'Largest Collection of Legend of Zelda Memorabilia'. See 1:25 -

• Wow! 1

• 3 weeks later...

I sold my loose copies of Earthbound, A Link to the Past as well as complete copies of Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and Lunar 1 & 2 towards a PS3 that broke in about a year.

I bought all these games when they were released and would love to have my personal copies back. The only one I have replaced so far is A Link to the Past, I bought a complete Japanese copy since it was just a couple bucks more than a loose US copy.

Letting my parents coax me into unloading all of my childhood games and consoles minus my pokemon games and some ps2 memory cards prior to college is a massive regret.  All I did as a kid was play, buy, and collect games, everywhere I went...

I still remember all of the calls (and the phone!) I got from the Craigslist add and the glee of the buyers hauling off bags of my games.  Sold CIBs for 2 to 3 bucks a pop, consoles for $10 or less, then did a bulk discount. 😧 I got $200 for over 150 PS2 and Xbox games.  I got maybe $800 for thousands of dollars of games.

All of this happened as the market was peaking, and I was completely unaware. 😡

My teeth are clenched and jaw is going numb, just writing this comment and thinking about it.