IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Alpha Mission!

BeaIank

@Gloves I finally beat your posted score, but my main goal of beating the game was not to be... I died on the final boss of Area 12 because I didn't have Thunder to triple-shot KO the pyramid with.  I also got to the final boss on my first life, but after my first death, the rest of my deaths came really fast after  having to start from the beginning of Area 12 each time with E-00.  Anyway, if you've been holding back a better score, feel free to post it and I'll see what I can do this weekend...

What does it mean to “point press” the final boss? I got there with enough energy to zap it with one blast of thunder but had to switch back to lasers and bombs after that. I fought it for about five minutes before it finally picked me off, but in the meantime racked up about 50,000 points. Was that a point press?

15 minutes ago, dvertov said:

What does it mean to “point press” the final boss? I got there with enough energy to zap it with one blast of thunder but had to switch back to lasers and bombs after that. I fought it for about five minutes before it finally picked me off, but in the meantime racked up about 50,000 points. Was that a point press?

Yeah, if you never press the A button, you can just shoot his projectiles for free points forever.  You need to use missiles to kill him.  Scoring 50k points on the final boss without killing him is a textbook example of point-pressing...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

11 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, if you never press the A button, you can just shoot his projectiles for free points forever.  You need to use missiles to kill him.  Scoring 50k points on the final boss without killing him is a textbook example of point-pressing...

That said, if he didn't know he needed to use missiles, would the score still be allowable? I would assume not, but @BeaIankwill likely have to say for sure.  I only say this because had I made it, I wouldn't have known either, so it's something that could happen to anyone not familiar with the game.  At the very least, maybe in the part mentioning point pressing, it should be stated how the point pressing can happen to avoid future issues.

Events Team · Posted

I amended the rules to mention that you have to use missiles to kill the final boss, but I am letting a leeway to point press him a bit, since it takes some minutes to rack up a decent amount of points.
So you're all free to point press him for up to 50K out of his projectiles, if you are bored enough to do so.

8 hours ago, dvertov said:

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

8 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

That said, if he didn't know he needed to use missiles, would the score still be allowable? I would assume not, but @BeaIankwill likely have to say for sure.  I only say this because had I made it, I wouldn't have known either, so it's something that could happen to anyone not familiar with the game.  At the very least, maybe in the part mentioning point pressing, it should be stated how the point pressing can happen to avoid future issues.

the classic, less skilled run can score more points. it rears its head anytime there is a broken boss/section of a game.

• Like 2