IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Alpha Mission!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Welcome brave warriors and brace yourselves for this week we reach the unreachable final frontier!
Our skilled players will have to prove their worth by conquering SPACE!
So ready your ships, players, load your weapons and set off at light speed!

This week, you will all have to master ALPHA MISSION!
Here's the rules you will abide to:

• Play till your last life or till you loop the game once.
  • Once you reach SYD x 1 lives, pause the game at the start of the stage and take your picture
  • You are not allowed to play your last life. You must pause the game, take your picture and end your run.
  • Refer to the following line should you loop the game before you reach SYD x 1 lives
  • ONE shall be the number thou shalt loop, and the number of the looping shall be one. Two shalt thou not loop, neither loop thou zero, excepting that thou then proceed to one. Thirteen is right out.
  • Once the number one, being the first number, be reached, pause thy game and take thy picture. Thou run ends there.
  • So, your run ends after you beat area 12.
  • Should thou play a stage more than once, thou score shall be snuff out by the holy hand grenade and thus deemed invalid.
  • If you pick the R power up, your run ends there.
  • You must use missiles to kill the final boss. No point pressing on him allowed. JUST USE MISSILES AT HIM!
  • You can reset a boss fight by going into the special ships selection screen. Don't use this glitch to fight a boss more than once. If you accidentally reset a boss fight after beating him once, your run is over. Thou must kill a boss only once
  • Thou art forbidden to point press on the 6th boss. If thou point press there, I shall release The Beast of Caerbannog upon thee.
  • Participation: 10,000
  • Genre: Shooter

07_Alpha_Mission_Sage.png.3cb508c10a871c

The contest ends Sunday, 05/02/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
1st docile tapeworm 307,770
2nd Dr. Morbis 273,100
3rd bertsampson 219,900
4th Gloves 219,530
5th 8bitdontquit 98,910
6th dvertov 84,800
7th NESfiend 68,030
8th the_wizard_666 46,790
9th Gaia Gensouki 44,910
10th Mega Tank 40,790
11th Jeevan 36,560
12th FireHazard51 33,960
13th mbd39 31,270
14th arnpoly 30,520
15th Deadeye 30,360
16th PII 22,250
17th JamesRobot 21,160
18th CasualCart 16,490
19th Ausden 13,480
20th RH 13,250
21st Krunch 11,870
22nd SuperJimtendo 10,440
23rd 0xDEAFC0DE 10,000

85634A58-3E27-4697-B3A1-369C89CCEA09.gif

unofficial rankings

morphius 273100

dan tucker 100000

8bitties 98910

the grinder 94030

deversion 84800

michael 31270

nes friends 30110

james and the machine 21160

LaidBackCartridge1999 19490

fire marshal bill 16300

demon dog 13480

RH THE PROPER 13250

kickle 10440

codehead 10001

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Like 2

Events Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

what about the backwards warps? i think they are "z's" i cant remember? you can manipulate the progress of the game.

its "R" for reverse i suppose. it warps you back.

Amended the rules to specify that you can only play each stage ONCE!

Events Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

"R" warps you back in the same stage. you could play the first stage for......ever.

That counts as playing the same stage more than once.
Still, added a rule that picking the R power up ends your run.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

i know ive asked you before but how do you find those old threads? i think bert beat me by a very little amount last time we played.

http://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview0d82.html?catid=31&threadid=168510

Some pages are missing in the threads though.

You can also search GoCollect for old threads.

https://connect.gocollect.com/categories

• Thanks 1

Another issue is that boss fights can be reset.

This is the rule from the 2015 contest: "You can reset a boss fight by going into the special ships selection screen. Don't use this glitch to fight a boss more than once. If you accedentally reset a boss fight after beating him once, your run is over."

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Another issue is that boss fights can be reset.

This is the rule from the 2015 contest: "You can reset a boss fight by going into the special ships selection screen. Don't use this glitch to fight a boss more than once. If you accedentally reset a boss fight after beating him once, your run is over."

Added this rule to the first post.

• Like 2