IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Alpha Mission!

BeaIank

4 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Is this some sort of record for most number of rules for a contest?

No it's the record for most broken game chosen for a contest 😛  When a game makes your score disappear forever the second you get a game over and has a location that you can score free points forever, that's the point where you start to maybe consider using a different NES shmup for your contest.... 😉

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

No it's the record for most broken game chosen for a contest 😛 

Too bad you weren't here for RollerGames week in 2016. The rules had to be amended quite a few times because it was so shitty for a contest. Great game though.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

No it's the record for most broken game chosen for a contest 😛  When a game makes your score disappear forever the second you get a game over and has a location that you can score free points forever, that's the point where you start to maybe consider using a different NES shmup for your contest.... 😉

almost all nes shooters....uuuhhh really most nes games are broken for high score without additional rules.

the score disapearing is easily fixed by ending your run with 1 syd remaning.

the scoring loop is very common in shooters especially during boss battles. this particular case is easily fixed by simply disallowing the lasers. 

i wonder how youll do when we play a shooter for low score because the points system is so broken.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

i wonder how youll do when we play a shooter for low score because the points system is so broken.

Well, if our playthroughs of Mission Cobra are any indication, it takes him a loop and a half after I go game over to touch my high score, so he'll probably do alright on a low-score competition.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Well, if our playthroughs of Mission Cobra are any indication, it takes him a loop and a half after I go game over to touch my high score, so he'll probably do alright on a low-score competition.

You always blow your wad early in shooters; you've gotta learn to have more staying power... 

Just now, the_wizard_666 said:

Unless it's a high score contest, then progress is irrelevant.

The longer you live, the more time/chances you have to score points.  Conversely, if points are not a factor, the longer you live, the better chance you have of beating the game.  So either way, you couldn't be more wrong 🙂

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

The longer you live, the more time/chances you have to score points.  Conversely, if points are not a factor, the longer you live, the better chance you have of beating the game.  So either way, you couldn't be more wrong 🙂

If the competition ends after one loop, however, you want as many points as you can in that one solitary loop.  Thus if i score more points in half a run than you do in two, odds are I'll win that competition without effort.  Also, survival is overrated...going out in a blaze of glory is the only way to go.

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

If the competition ends after one loop, however, you want as many points as you can in that one solitary loop.  Thus if i score more points in half a run than you do in two, odds are I'll win that competition without effort.  Also, survival is overrated...going out in a blaze of glory is the only way to go.

Touché!  Now go play some Alpha Mission and beat my score 🙂

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

Touché!  Now go play some Alpha Mission and beat my score 🙂

I can't, I'm in class.  It's bad enough that I'm ignoring the lesson to read this shit.  I can't be a complete tool and play video games too 😛

Also, I'm probably not beating a score until we play World Games.  Cliff Diving says FUCK BASIL 😛