IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Alpha Mission!

BeaIank

Social Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

If you're having trouble, make sure you're using shields.

Season 4 What GIF by The Office

There are shields in this game?  How the hell do I use them?  I'm guess that's what those damn red ship things look like that do jack shit but I'm just collect everything because why not.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, FireHazard51 said:

Season 4 What GIF by The Office

There are shields in this game?  How the hell do I use them?  I'm guess that's what those damn red ship things look like that do jack shit but I'm just collect everything because why not.

Get far enough in that you have like 10 or so "E" and you should be able to hit "Select" to pull up the powerup menu. While on this menu, move your ship over the powerup you want to enable. "Sheeld" (lol) is the one you want, and it'll make it so any time you get hit (would have died otherwise), it will instead take away 2 "E". A VERY worthwhile trade, if you're not great at dodging in general.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Social Team · Posted
13 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Get far enough in that you have like 10 or so "E" and you should be able to hit "Select" to pull up the powerup menu. While on this menu, move your ship over the powerup you want to enable. "Sheeld" (lol) is the one you want, and it'll make it so any time you get hit (would have died otherwise), it will instead take away 2 "E". A VERY worthwhile trade, if you're not great at dodging in general.

I guess I really should RTFM......I hate how NES games have a horrible issue of needing manuals to explain shit or worse, the manual isn't good enough and further information is needed like that found in a walkthrough.  I honestly didn't know what E was and thought that it would go down with missile use.

Edited by FireHazard51

7 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I guess I really should RTFM......I hate how NES games have a horrible issue of needing manuals to explain sit or worse, the manual isn't good enough and further information is needed like that found in a walkthrough.  I honestly didn't know what E was and thought that it would go down with missile use.

When it comes to NES games, ALWAYS read the manual.  I mean, it's not as mandatory as with Atari 2600 games or anything, but there's always something in there that makes it worth the few minutes it takes.

But yeah, I found the shield completely by accident.  The thing is though, once you select an item, it's gone until you pick another one up.  Fire is almost a necessity for the first boss, so I usually don't use the shield until after I kill him, just so I have it at the start of level 2.  But now I'm starting to feel like maybe I should use the shield for the first boss, and save the fire for the second because I don't always end up finding another one, and it's MUCH harder to kill by just shooting him, and then hoping to find a shield again through the second level so I have it in the third.  I'm not sure really.  It seems part of the challenge is knowing where and when to use each power up because you never know when you might need it, and you don't want to need them and not have one available.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
22 minutes ago, Krunch said:

I haven’t played yet but this ones almost surely participation for this fella.  I noticed Gradius 2 another impossible game is on the docket too???  Whyyyyyyy 😵

Because we are doing Famicom games to spice things up this year! 😄

9 hours ago, mbd39 said:

According to the 2015 rules you can pause the game right after you lose your last life. But these rules work fine as well.

Im really amazed that worked. I assumed that was the rule my first run. When you die, you are back to the title screen in an absolute flash. These rules seem most user friendly. 

The game, on the other hand, is not user friendly. Good luck to the sickos who are going to get deep into this thing. I will not be one od them

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Yeppers. @Dr. Morbis, a lot of contests have play til you reach one life and then its over when the game over screen doesnt contain your score. It really is just to make it an even playing ground where no one is pulling their hair out because they cant get a photo in time. 

Yeah, I totally get that; my issue is that Bea and all the rest of you guys are using the term "last life."  Do you guys know what the "last life" is in a video game?  Am I the only guy here who's ever played a video game before?  The "last life" in a video game is the life that expires immediately before you get a game over; ie: the last life you play before your game comes to an end! 

The rules of this week's competition are NOT to take a picture at the start of your last life, even though she and everyone else keeps using that term.  After seeking clarification on my part, it turns out that the rules in this particular instance are that your run ends the FIRST time you get to SYD x1, whether that would have ended up being the last life in your game or not.  The issue with the score not appearing is the reason I originally assumed she wanted us to take a picture at the start of our last life, but she does  NOT!  What she wants is for us to take our picture at the start of our FIRST occurence of "SYD x1."

Can anyone else here see this clear and obvious distinction, or am I just dealing with a bunch of plebs???

All in good fun, kiddos 😛😛😛

Just now, BeaIank said:

You know we all are right and you are wrong. 😛

You're making the rules, and I'm abiding by them.  Just know that your rule about taking a picture at the start of your last life is ambiguous to the point of actually meaning the opposite of what you actually intended for it to mean... 😛

41 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

You know we all are right and you are wrong. 😛

I've known Basil a LOOOOONG time.  He's gotta be the most hyper-competitive person I know, and he HATES being wrong 😛  It's all semantics, but essentially it comes down to the interpretation of the wording.  As written in the rules I understood it correctly, as did everyone other than him, but as far as his thinking goes, he's technically not wrong, simply incorrect.  His interpretation is entirely valid, the word "wrong" implies that it is not.  He felt it was ambiguous enough to seek clarification, and he did.  Now we're all on the same page, so let's just play some damn Alpha Mission!  🙂

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I've known Basil a LOOOOONG time.  He's gotta be the most hyper-competitive person I know, and he HATES being wrong 😛  It's all semantics, but essentially it comes down to the interpretation of the wording.  As written in the rules I understood it correctly, as did everyone other than him, but as far as his thinking goes, he's technically not wrong, simply incorrect.  His interpretation is entirely valid, the word "wrong" implies that it is not.  He felt it was ambiguous enough to seek clarification, and he did.  Now we're all on the same page, so let's just play some damn Alpha Mission!  🙂

No, the reason I sought clarification is because I was playing a game on Sunday night, died twice, took my picture at like 98k, kept on playing (as I always do since I'm trying to beat the game for my personal list), then I quickly got a free man at 100k, which to this point I didn't know about, so I played it out, then eventually died, and when it said SYD x1 for a second time, I was like, "wait a minute, were we supposed to stop at two men, or just play through a game and take a pic at the start of our last life?"  So I went and re-read the rules to see that they stated last life, so I thought I was good.  HOWEVER, you happened to call me on the phone just after my game ended, and I told you about my question, and you were like, "No, you take the picture the first time you hit SYD x1," and I was like, "WTF, that's not what the rules say."  So I came in here for clarification, and it turns out, ambiguity is not only condoned, but encouraged here at VGS!!!!!!!!!

And no Mike, I'm not incorrect; if I was incorrect, Bea would not have had to amend the wording of the rules 😉 And for the record, neither she nor you have the authority to change the definition of the term "last life" in video games  😛

Edited by Dr. Morbis