IGNORED

What system have you always wanted to collect for (but never did)?

I think we all have that system that we always eyed but never took the plunge into. Either we wanted it as kids and never got it and kind of faded into obscurity or you just lost interest over time. Maybe by the time you decided you wanted to collect for it, the prices were just too high to justify. Whatever the case is, what system have you always wanted to collect for, wanted to play, wanted to like, but for one reason or another, just never did and likely won't ever get to?

I always wanted a Sega Saturn. As a kid/teen I was all about the N64 and was also very familiar with PS1 at the time but had very little knowledge of the Saturn. Like everyone I knew at the time, the system was always considered the lesser 5th gen console. Even today looking back the library is relatively weak compared to most other big name consoles. But there was always something about it that intrigued me and the curiosity only grew as I  got older. I was about to finally take the plunge into Saturn collecting last year, only I did the math and the high cost and hard to find CIBs and lack of must-have games put me off completely. There are definitely a handful of games I want - most are very very expensive - and while I'd love to have a Saturn just for experience's sake, I don't know I'll ever have $1000 to throw around for a system and a few of my most wanted games like the Panzer Dragoon games and NiGHTS Into Dreams. 

One that has been on my radar since its release in 1995 was the Virtual Boy. Yes it's more of a novelty than anything and I can't see myself or anyone actually playing it much. But it would make one hell of a collection piece. I've always wanted one even just for the experience. Like the Saturn, I almost made the plunge last year but decided against it when I realized there's a high chance the system of the system breaking or failing and I did not want something that I have to get fixed every few years.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Virtual Boy for me. I had the "pleasure" of trying the demo at blockbuster and it was pretty rad. We was po, though, so none of that for me. 

Now in adulthood of course I see it for the gimmick it was and lacking a decent library of good games means it's fallen off the radar. 

Maybe one day, if just to display. 

• Like 1

I just don't have room to go serious on PC. I do have lots of big box PC games, but there are guys out there with beautiful, highly curated shelves of 1000+ games, publisher sets, tons of multiples for variants, but if you go hard on that it's literally all you can collect. There's no full "set" of PC games, so you just collect the stuff you're interested in because it's such a space-limited hobby, but on the flip side you enjoy every game in your collection which is probably rare with most of our console collections.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Just now, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Both the Intellivision and Colecovision. They are always on the back burner but always focused on other systems first. One of these days I'll get around to them.

Both are a pain in the ass, lol. Along with A5200, I feel like I spend more time tracking down games with overlays than anything else. I'm not even a box/manual guy but overlays seem essential.

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

Virtual Boy for me. I had the "pleasure" of trying the demo at blockbuster and it was pretty rad. We was po, though, so none of that for me. 

Now in adulthood of course I see it for the gimmick it was and lacking a decent library of good games means it's fallen off the radar. 

I actually owned one when they came out and somehow didn't go blind. Then again I also had a 32X, so I don't know which purchase was more regrettable. As far as the original question goes, I started picking up Game Boy games before I had to sell most of my stuff, so I wish I would have had a chance to build up a bigger library.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, barrels said:

Both are a pain in the ass, lol. Along with A5200, I feel like I spend more time tracking down games with overlays than anything else. I'm not even a box/manual guy but overlays seem essential.

I never was really all that concerned with the overlays. At least with 5200 they're almost all useless. I know it's usually taboo, but if I ever decided to get them there is a guy on Atariage that makes reproduction sets of them.

1 minute ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I never was really all that concerned with the overlays. At least with 5200 they're almost all useless. I know it's usually taboo, but if I ever decided to get them there is a guy on Atariage that makes reproduction sets of them.

Yeah, I should also clarify that the need for overlays is a personal (OCD) one and not for a feeling completeness or presumption of added monetary value.

Could you link or PM me his info? That sounds like something I should probably bite the bullet on.

4 minutes ago, barrels said:

Yeah, I should also clarify that the need for overlays is a personal (OCD) one and not for a feeling completeness or presumption of added monetary value.

Could you link or PM me his info? That sounds like something I should probably bite the bullet on.

It seems he doesn't offer full sets anymore only by individual game. The threads are old but if you PM him directly he still makes them I believe. Not sure if he makes anything for Intellivision

Atari 5200

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/271311-super-overlays-set-new-for-atari-5200/

Colecovision

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/202786-colecovision-overlays-available-reproduction/page/4/#comments

I grew up with gameboy, so I definitely feel the virtual boy sentiments - played the demo units at stores but never owned. One dayyyyy.

Also game gear, always wanted one but never took the plunge. I just found a gamegear a few months back that works great so Ima dip my toes into that library. 

Also famicom disk system and neo geo

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, drxandy said:

I grew up with gameboy, so I definitely feel the virtual boy sentiments - played the demo units at stores but never owned. One dayyyyy.

Also game gear, always wanted one but never took the plunge. I just found a gamegear a few months back that works great so Ima dip my toes into that library. 

Also famicom disk system and neo geo

I remember getting a Game Gear for Christmas when it came out. I thought it had a pretty solid library of games, but it went through batteries like crazy.

• Like 1

I'd love to do the Turbografx set minus Magical Chase but working on other systems never really allowed me to get too deep into it. I would go CIC on it and forget the boxes, and probably loose on the most expensive things. I have about 25% of the library in various forums of completeness, so if prices ever come down a bit I may work on it after I finish everything else.

5 hours ago, Gloves said:

If you ever find a damaged one the Virtualtap makes the Virtualboy a lot better.  RGB output to your tv.  No shoving your face into those lenses.

For me it's Sega Saturn or arcade stuff.  Both I was only mildly aware of and now that I'm older it's all so expensive.  Mostly off the table for me.

5 hours ago, Prime2099 said:

For me it would probably be the TurboGrafx-16. It looked pretty cool in comic book ads back in the day, but I never knew anyone who owned it or saw one in person. Now, I just have other priorities.

I remember the commercials from my childhood. I'd still like to look into collecting for the system, but it's near the lower end of the list of priorities nowadays.

I also thought about collecting Gameboy Advance games, but their prices (for CIB) seems too steep when I looked a few years ago. Don't want to know what they are nowadays.

Atari 2600.  I know the games are cheap as hell but, I’d have to get a system and ya know....rf.

its always been one of those things I’ve meant to get into but I just have never gotten around to.

also back in the day I always wanted to try the turbografx16.  If i remember correctly there was some debate in my household about that vs genesis.  We went genesis.

• Like 1