IGNORED

What system have you always wanted to collect for (but never did)?

7 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Yeah the battery thing was always the killer for me haha, got a wall wart though!!

Whenever I was playing it at home I just used my Genesis AC Adapter and played on the couch, but it was brutal when the batteries would die, because it was guaranteed to happen during any long car trip.

• Sad 1

I'd say in this order in regards to interest, Virtual Boy, TG-16 and Vectrex.

I remember the VB coming out and thinking it was cool but even as a kid, it just felt awkward playing.  Now, I just love the daring nature of Nintendo and I want to collect that history, but I don't have a single VB item.

TG-16 is something I've intended to get into just because it was a "mythical" system for me as a kid.  I'd heard about it, but I'd never seen a system or a game. I spotted a TG-16 at a thrift shop in a pile of junk in 2002, and it was the first time I'd ever seen one.  I have a system that's in pristine shape on the inside, and I have Keith Courage.  I've never gone beyond that because generally CIC games are to much for me to know so little about the system.

Vectrex is a wildcard.  IMHO, it is absolutely the coolest console before the NES.  In fact, in some ways just looking at the hardware, I might argue that it's in the running for being the coolest hardware, ever, because it was breaking ground with polygons back in the 70s!  That said, I've just not bought a unit, or any games yet.  I probably should.  Considering it's historical value, I could see it having a "collector" awakening, especially as units age and die.  Working units will likely fetch a premium in another 10-20 years, but that's just a hunch.

Edited by RH
  • Like 2

For me it has always been the Amiga.  I had a commodore 64 as a kid and never did get an Amiga.  The games on there looked amazing at the time.  Every time I have considered getting into it just seemed like a such a money pit.  

Recently and this is a lesson to all collectors.  Look out for your collector friends and karma will pay ya back.  I had a friend basically give me an Amiga cd32 for very cheap because it needed some work.  I have since got the system working and very slowly realizing my dream of playing Amiga games.  I don't anticipate collecting much for the system but I am really enjoying the games I have tried so far.

Edited by ginoscope
  • Like 1

Atari 2600.  When I first began collecting I always heard the AVGN talk about how great the Atari was, and how the games were cool.  So I figured I would pick some up because it was cheap enough.  Bought a lot with a 2600 and games from eBay, and once I started playing I realized that it was a cool novelty for like 20-30 minutes, but the games ended up not being that interesting for me.  So I stuck it in the closet and there it sits to this day.

Also Sega Genesis.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RH said:

I'd say in this order in regards to interest, Virtual Boy, TG-16 and Vectrex.

I remember the VB coming out and thinking it was cool but even as a kid, it just felt awkward playing.  Now, I just love the daring nature of Nintendo and I want to collect that history, but I don't have a single VB item.

TG-16 is something I've intended to get into just because it was a "mythical" system for me as a kid.  I'd heard about it, but I'd never seen a system or a game. I spotted a TG-16 at a thrift shop in a pile of junk in 2002, and it was the first time I'd ever seen one.  I have a system that's in pristine shape on the inside, and I have Keith Courage.  I've never gone beyond that because generally CIC games are to much for me to know so little about the system.

Vectrex is a wildcard.  IMHO, it is absolutely the coolest console before the NES.  In fact, in some ways just looking at the hardware, I might argue that it's in the running for being the coolest hardware, ever, because it was breaking ground with polygons back in the 70s!  That said, I've just not bought a unit, or any games yet.  I probably should.  Considering it's historical value, I could see it having a "collector" awakening, especially as units age and die.  Working units will likely fetch a premium in another 10-20 years, but that's just a hunch.

I feel you on the TG-16.  Over here it is called the PC Engine, but it is basically the same.  Everyone likes to hype is up as one of the greatest consoles, and while I do own a recapped turbo duo and a fair few games for it, I find myself not really playing it as often as other consoles I own.

Probably the T-Grafx as others have mentioned. I'm with RH on the price though, and I would only want the card-based games (and thus CIC), not the CD ones which I think tends to be where the console shines. It is the only 'mini console' that I bought though and am super excited to play, despite it being dirty emulation haha.

Edited by Nintegageo

Subscriber T1 · Posted
On 10/30/2019 at 7:30 PM, Deadeye said:

TurboGrafx 16 / PC Engine.  All the SHMUPS are the draw and the Hue cards are so interesting.  It has a library of games I mostly have not played yet.  However the cost is prohibitive.  ☹️

This!

I really like the TG library, especially as it's a fairly small set so attainable. However the cost was going to do some serious damage to my budget if I pursued it, so I ended up buying a Turbo Everdrive from Krizz. Not the same as collecting, I know, but at least I get to play.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 9:09 AM, a3quit4s said:

TG-16, never actually seen one IRL, I suppose one case where price reflects actual rarity at least in my area. 

A game store down the street from me got one in like 5 years ago. Store owner offered it to me before putting it on the floor. 40 bucks for the complete console with two controllers. I passed on it. Never saw one before or since. I regret that shit.

• Wow! 1

22 minutes ago, attakid101 said:

A game store down the street from me got one in like 5 years ago. Store owner offered it to me before putting it on the floor. 40 bucks for the complete console with two controllers. I passed on it. Never saw one before or since. I regret that shit.

I had been looking for one for years and just happened to come across it randomly one day at my local game store maybe 2 years back. Picked it up instantly because I never had seen one in the ~10 years I had been collecting. $40 is a steal, I think mine was $80 with two controllers and Keith Courage.

I bought the everdrive and an AV mod and everything and I haven't even given it a solid chance. I need to get around to experiencing the library.

Graphics Team · Posted

I've always thought about collecting Neo Geo MVS games to play on a Consolized MVS, but I'm not interested in fighting games or the Metal Slug series, so it always seemed like too big of an investment just to play a couple spaceship shooters and Neo Turf Masters on proper hardware.

I've also wanted to start an Atari 2600 cart collection for a long time, but those AtGames flashbacks keep scratching that itch for the time being.

-CasualCart

13 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I've always thought about collecting Neo Geo MVS games to play on a Consolized MVS, but I'm not interested in fighting games or the Metal Slug series, so it always seemed like too big of an investment just to play a couple spaceship shooters and Neo Turf Masters on proper hardware.

-CasualCart

By no means am I trying to convince you to start collecting the expensive monster that is the MVS - but I think people think the NG has less diversity than it actually does. It's possibly the only console where each game on it is at least a playable game.

Graphics Team · Posted
9 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

By no means am I trying to convince you to start collecting the expensive monster that is the MVS - but I think people think the NG has less diversity than it actually does. It's possibly the only console where each game on it is at least a playable game.

Sick - I guess I just need to expand my knowledge of the Neo Geo library. As of now I'm only familiar with the games I played on my Neo Geo X (which I really enjoyed until it stopped working altogether).

-CasualCart