IGNORED

What system have you always wanted to collect for (but never did)?

For me it would also be the NeoGeo AES.  Loved the old metal slug arcade games and having them on a home console that is as powerful as the arcade machine would be amazing.  As cool as MVS is, I'd want to go the AES route as the "official" home console option.  The price brings me back down to earth whenever i think about it though.

Graphics Team · Posted
14 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Haha, the Neo Geo X was a travesty. You could look at the mini?

True. I'm not a big fan of mini consoles, though, because you can't build your own legit library for them outside of what's pre-loaded. Plus, half the appeal of the Neo Geo is the massive original carts and arcade sticks. It's a lot like the Vectrex that way - the form-factor is one of the coolest features.

-CasualCart

Neo Geo Cart.jpg

• Like 2

Game Gear for me. I had one as a kid and loved it so much. I'd read all about new games in Sega Visions and only ever acquired 12 or so games while it was still current. My original Game Gear needs work, and since I can't play any of my games right now my motivation for buying more is not there. Maybe someday.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DorkOverlord said:

Neo Geo and Game Gear. Neo Geo is more due to the price barrier, but I have no excuse for not collecting Game Gear.  

You should try to find a Japanese AES system  they can be had for much less then the American console. 

The AES is unbelievable, true arcade experience at home. Plus the games are huge and have 2 boards in  them super cool.

a couple of cheaper games I’d recommend  samurai showdown ( also called samurai spirts in Japan), nam 1975, fatal fury special, and if you like shooters check out alpha mission ii!

3 minutes ago, Neo Geo strong said:

You should try to find a Japanese AES system  they can be had for much less then the American console. 

The AES is unbelievable, true arcade experience at home. Plus the games are huge and have 2 boards in  them super cool.

a couple of cheaper games I’d recommend  samurai showdown ( also called samurai spirts in Japan), nam 1975, fatal fury special, and if you like shooters check out alpha mission ii!

That's the way I'll go when I eventually decide to pull the trigger. Along with the games you mentioned, I'll need to get Magician Lord and Ninja Combat. They were two of my favorites at the local arcade growing up. 

Just now, DorkOverlord said:

That's the way I'll go when I eventually decide to pull the trigger. Along with the games you mentioned, I'll need to get Magician Lord and Ninja Combat. They were two of my favorites at the local arcade growing up. 

The good news is both of those games are pretty affordable. I wish you luck finding one! I know it seems like a lot of cash but I feel it’s totally worth it. They also sell Neo Geo flash carts which I recommend called the Neo SD.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:38 PM, Nintegageo said:

Haha, the Neo Geo X was a travesty. You could look at the mini?

You know, you're drinking the kool aid on that one.  If someone even bothered to just apply the rocket cable update by those bunglers at Tommo the system actually seems to handle just a little bit better than that wretched Mini SNK put out last year which is just even horrible to consider the fact SNK screwed it up on their own.  Now, to really make the mini look terrible, one just has to go with the aftermarket fixes by smart coders placing a properly repaired emulator/patches to the device and it actually can and will perform quite nicely.

For me its GameBoy, I think. I've started one. It's a console I played a little but found appreciation for because of NA and the contests. I think I have around 30 games now? Currently awaiting Might Morphin Power Rangers.

The surprise for me is N64. I never really liked it but a few months back I hooked one up to my Trinitron and started messing around. I think my collection has doubled since and, again, I'm awaiting a PR game to come in. Currently I'm still obsessed with F-Zero X. Always loved it as a kid but let a friend borrow it. The douche never gave it back. Got a new copy in Seattle like 2 months ago. Trying to do ever race with every car on every difficulty. Mixing that with stationary bike pedals. According to its flawed calculation I'm up to 600cals burned tonight. Good mindless fun.

12 hours ago, 8-bit guerilla said:

Neo geo/ Saturn. I used to collect for Saturn but mostly prices out.

always wanted a NEoGeo 

Throughout the year there have been a cheap run of consolized MVS machines that have been sold online that originally popped up through aliexpress.  Basically some Chinese group bought a huge huge batch of 1 slot arcade board kits and they created their own printed plastic shells and added the necessary connections so it can work off a TV.  The price is quite affordable and they work nicely with that really cheap 161in1 cart so you can experience a large chunk of the library.  It might be an option.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 11:50 PM, TriHart said:

This is what I came here to post. I have yet to try out either of them, but they look to have such great libraries of games too! I Just can't justify diving into these.

My brother in-law gave me a box of his old Saturn stuff valuing at over 1600 or I’d never have started Saturn collection.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:02 PM, Tanooki said:

Throughout the year there have been a cheap run of consolized MVS machines that have been sold online that originally popped up through aliexpress.  Basically some Chinese group bought a huge huge batch of 1 slot arcade board kits and they created their own printed plastic shells and added the necessary connections so it can work off a TV.  The price is quite affordable and they work nicely with that really cheap 161in1 cart so you can experience a large chunk of the library.  It might be an option.

I believe SNK to be now owned by a Chinese company, so they might even be 'licensed' consoles - admittedly am not sure about these as I haven't purchased one.

On 11/3/2019 at 7:43 PM, The Strangest said:

Atari Jaguar. The cost of the console is a lot compared to other systems that I’d likely use more often, so it’s hard for me to justify. The games also rarely show up in my area.

The Jaguar has always intrigued me. I know the game selection is bad and the consoles are not the most reliable, on top of that they are expensive. But something about the system has always grabbed my attention since the 90s. Maybe it was the badass boxart for the console.

• Like 1