IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

13 minutes ago, B.A. said:

I bet an NXT guy wins, they seem to want to push that show quite a bit lately. 

I thought they might go with Keith Lee, but since they just put the NXT North American title on him this week, I'm guessing he stays there for a while. He will probably be one of the yearly post WrestleMania call ups.

9 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Did anyone catch NXT: Worlds Collide last night? That was one of the best wrestling shows I've seen in a while. Hopefully the Rumble is decent. I hope CM Punk comes back, but if I had to pick a winner, I'm taking Drew Mcintyre.

I did. It was a fantastic show. Dat #DIY vs Moustache Mountain match, and the Imperium vs Undisputed Era. Both strong contenders for WWE Match of the Year already

Also holy hell the Rumble was good... better then it had any right to be. The Men's Rumble Match itself was easily the best in the last 5-6 years if not decade. Seeing this guy win

Spoiler

spacer.png

was great. Unexpected but very welcome... and this return

Spoiler

spacer.png

Amazing. The pop was surreal. If you don't have network or w/e, hear it for yourself

Spoiler

Just. Wow.

8 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I thought they might go with Keith Lee, but since they just put the NXT North American title on him this week, I'm guessing he stays there for a while. He will probably be one of the yearly post WrestleMania call ups.

8 hours ago, B.A. said:

I bet an NXT guy wins, they seem to want to push that show quite a bit lately. 

You'd think, Keith Lee would've been the pick imho, have him go against Lesnar, but not this year. I hope they save him til next years Rumble, have a nice run in NXT with the NA then Main NXT title 👍

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X

9 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Hated the Rumble. FFS Vince.

Curious what you disliked?  I'm not super deep into these convos, but really enjoyed the Royal Rumble.  Well..I did not like the ending to the Women's Royal Rumble, felt a bit tacky (the huricanrana or whatever they call it with the random legs around the head throws feel crazy overplayed IMO in wrestling right now).  But I loved the Men's Royal Rumble, especially when Keith Lee leveled Brock and the Claymore not long after.  Felt really good about the winner - he's really becoming a great all around wrestler (mic and wrestling skills feel heavily improved in last 12-18 mos).

17 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The Rumble last night was one of the better PPVs in a long time. It was good to see Drew Mcintyre win since I hope it means that the WWE is finally willing to give someone else a chance.

Seconded. This could've been a contender for best Rumble of all time had they bothered to build it up at all outside of the odd "I'm announcing my entry into the rumble match!" promo

16 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Hated the Rumble. FFS Vince.

What Boosted asked, mild curious as to what you disliked

7 hours ago, Boosted52405 said:

Curious what you disliked?  I'm not super deep into these convos, but really enjoyed the Royal Rumble.  Well..I did not like the ending to the Women's Royal Rumble, felt a bit tacky (the huricanrana or whatever they call it with the random legs around the head throws feel crazy overplayed IMO in wrestling right now).  But I loved the Men's Royal Rumble, especially when Keith Lee leveled Brock and the Claymore not long after.  Felt really good about the winner - he's really becoming a great all around wrestler (mic and wrestling skills feel heavily improved in last 12-18 mos).

Women's match was probably the weakest match on the card but still by no means terrible... just odd and disappointing choices

7 hours ago, SuperJimtendo said:

Anyone else get random speed ups and slow downs other than John Morrison’s entrance?

Brock vs Elias soon as brick started to give chase was at least double time. Or was that just our signal 

Probably just your signal, friend.

1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

I kinda casually watched it as I did other stuff.  They did the right things.  I dug it.  Glad a lot of people did too.

Same. Actually looking forward to Wrestlemania this year

It's my favourite event of the year. The mens match was meh. Brock added nothing. Great to see Edge, but Titus had a better chance of winning, and he wasnt fucking in it. Only reason I'm not pissed that Drew won, is because if that cunt of a company will put the belt on miz and jhinder, they would for Drew too. 

5 hours ago, DarkTone said:

It's my favourite event of the year. The mens match was meh. Brock added nothing. Great to see Edge, but Titus had a better chance of winning, and he wasnt fucking in it. Only reason I'm not pissed that Drew won, is because if that cunt of a company will put the belt on miz and jhinder, they would for Drew too. 

You would be a terrible booker.  You build Brock in the match, so when Drew eliminates him, it means something and builds Drew.  It did and got a huge pop.  Of course Edge wasn't gonna win, but what would you rather have, him come in for a min then get dumped?  They put him in at the end mostly for Orton and to further their story.  Jeez, this stuff isn't that hard.

I thought the PPV was good, but the death of Kobe Bryant destroyed any level of enthusiasm the guys and I could possibly muster. Glad Michael Cole at least mentioned it after the Reigns match, I didn't think they were gonna say anything. Finish to the women's rumble was definitely cringy shits

Edited by trj22487

5 minutes ago, DarkTone said:

OR.............. not have him in the match?

Not have who?  Edge?  What better way to debut him?  Anything else would be completely spoiled.  They debuted AJ, didn't hurt him, and he wasn't winning it.  Theres no way you'd get a bigger pop from a huge crowd on the 2nd biggest event of the year than a surprise like that.  Much larger of a waste than an "Edge returns next week!" or "We have a big surprise for you next week we promise so tune in!".  Cmaaan.

12 hours ago, DarkTone said:

I have to completely disagree with this, in it's near entirety;

I'll reiterate, the Men's Rumble match was arguably the best in at least the last 5-6 years. Was it the best? No, that honor still goes to probably 2004 or 1992, but it's a contender for #3 in my opinion.

Despite the lack of build up to it, Brock actually added a unique dynamic and was booked in it about as great as one could hope; He absolutely made Keith Lee and Drew Macintyre in that match just by his interactions, and the rest of it before his elimination told a great story. Again, it would've been better had they bothered to build it up more then a couple promos of Heyman spouting his usual schtick (which I love Heyman but like, it's getting a bit old at this point), but the build issue can be said of just about literally everything else on the card.

Yes it was great to see Edge, but how would you have rather had him booked? Because to have him return then win and instantly be put into a World Title match with (probably) either Lesnar or Wyatt would just be weird, and make absolutely no sense, and that's not even considering the issues WWE still has with relying to heavily on it's established stars and reluctance on building new ones based entirely on the whims of how Vince feels for the day or if he has a bad burrito

Also I can't tell if your actually happy or mad that Drew won lol. Like, ideally, he will go on to be WWE World Champ, but this is WWE, no guarantees that is going to happen lol. We've all seen them feeding "bigger" stars then Macintyre to Brock for seemingly no reason then the lulz. So yea, they would but doesn't mean they're going to even though I sincerely hope so.

7 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

You would be a terrible booker.  You build Brock in the match, so when Drew eliminates him, it means something and builds Drew.  It did and got a huge pop.  Of course Edge wasn't gonna win, but what would you rather have, him come in for a min then get dumped?  They put him in at the end mostly for Orton and to further their story.  Jeez, this stuff isn't that hard.

This entirely. The only change I would have probably made in the Rumble is a bit different order, and having Edge eliminated by someone like Corbin.

3 hours ago, DarkTone said:

OR.............. not have him in the match?

You know, I'll agree with this. Yadda Yadda the build etc, but frankly it really couldn't have turned out much better... and frankly I'm much, much less against it then I was for it, even in hindsight.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 12:30 AM, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

Amazing. The pop was surreal. If you don't have network or w/e, hear it for yourself

Even better in person.  Crowd went wild when Drew eliminated Brock and Edge returned.  Keith Lee also was super over with the fans.

Match told a great story of Brock acting like king of the mountain over for Ricochet to get receipt on the low blow, Drew not just knocking Brock out, but winning the whole thing.  Also they were able to weave in a bunch of other story lines and surprise entries and other callbacks.  Best Rumble of the last 5/10 years easy, one of the best of all time.

Edited by fox
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Dont know about pairing Edge with Orton. RKO. Punt. Both moves that fuck up the neck. 

On the contrary, Orton apparently has the rep of being one of the safest pairs of hands in WWE, as well as the RKO/Cutter being one of the better moves, especially compared to some of the other ones out there. They also have the benefit of having worked together previously, obviously lol

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, G-type said:

Does anyone just watch wrestling as a fan anymore? Every single person I have ever encountered has always been talking about how so-and-so is "getting over" and "got a good pop" and "why doesn't WWE book it this way, do they want to ruin the product?!!"

I appears to me that the “smart mark” thing happened with the rise of all the wrestling review podcasts over the last 10 years or so.  Ones like OSW Review, New Generation Project podcast, AE Podcast and loads of other youtube review channels.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, G-type said:

Does anyone just watch wrestling as a fan anymore? Every single person I have ever encountered has always been talking about how so-and-so is "getting over" and "got a good pop" and "why doesn't WWE book it this way, do they want to ruin the product?!!"

I do. I'll put on NWA with my roomate every Tuesday just for fun. The low budget feel is actually a welcome change from all the big, overdone extravaganza from WWE.  It's cool to see different people pop up sometimes (scott steiner was a surprise) and I like the seemingly less scripted nature of it