IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

Wrestlemania is going empty arena at the Performance Center

Their hand was forced as it was a foregone conclusion that Tampa Bay would cancel the event outright if WWE didn't respond. This is something else.

For the record RAW was also at the performance center and empty arena, just like SmackDown and probably NXT.

• Wow! 1

Partly because (understandably) they don't rightly know when this whole debacle is over. Sure come april we could be back to business as (mostly) usual,, but it also could rightly be June, July, August (or god forbid later) before the current situation comes to some sort of suitable resolution... and for better or worse WWE can't afford to not keep putting on their big money shows, especially Wrestlemania, let alone ending up having to cancel any other events. I for one actually appreciate the fact that they're keeping going on some capacity, as many, many other things just... aren't.

• Like 1

Its ridiculous.  Its annoying for them to try to figure out angles to continue feuds but thats only short term.  If they're gonna have no audience, its gonna look really stupid having Drew or someone hold their first title in front of no people in the long run.  It would be easier to pivot in a different angle temporarily, then move them back and have WM at a later date in a smaller venue.  Unless they have some really really cool idea they're not telling us and itll be ok.

On 3/19/2020 at 10:25 AM, guitarzombie said:

Its ridiculous.  Its annoying for them to try to figure out angles to continue feuds but thats only short term.  If they're gonna have no audience, its gonna look really stupid having Drew or someone hold their first title in front of no people in the long run.  It would be easier to pivot in a different angle temporarily, then move them back and have WM at a later date in a smaller venue.  Unless they have some really really cool idea they're not telling us and itll be ok.

For starters apparently they've told the roster that no one is obligated to show up if they don't want, and the fact they're still going ahead means most of them are working of their own accord.

Also, apparently they're doing multiple venues, over two nights. Also there is still the possibility that all this "social distancing" and other shit is over before we get into April... probably not but considering how things are hanging on a daily if not hourly basis, never say never.

On 3/20/2020 at 9:51 PM, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

For starters apparently they've told the roster that no one is obligated to show up if they don't want, and the fact they're still going ahead means most of them are working of their own accord.

Also, apparently they're doing multiple venues, over two nights. Also there is still the possibility that all this "social distancing" and other shit is over before we get into April... probably not but considering how things are hanging on a daily if not hourly basis, never say never.

Hate to say it would take a miracle for things in the US to calm down by April :(.

I've been a bit out of the loop with WE lately, but I tried to tune in Monday night and USA was showing a Wrestlemania replay or something, I think.  Did they actually air a live/taped new episode to ask?

I said it was unlikely lol

@Boosted52405 also RAW & SD are still live for better or worse... however they've been showing at least 1 past PPV match per episode. The first Performance Center SD showed the Tag Team Elimination Chamber match from like the weekend before. RAW last week had the Royal Rumble 2020 in it's entirety. This past SD had John Cena vs Bray Wyatt from WM 30

On 3/23/2020 at 10:09 AM, Boosted52405 said:

Hate to say it would take a miracle for things in the US to calm down by April :(.

That's one thing we really have to be careful about.  If we try to "go back to normal" too quickly, the virus might come back just as a bad if not worse.

Say is there anywhere you can watch past Wrestlemanias?  I'm not exactly into wrestling myself but it might be fun to see what the first few were like.  Say I don't suppose Trump made guest appearances on any of them like he did in the mid 2000s on WWE in general?

EDIT: Ah, here's one...  I bet when Trump signed that autograph (did he still have his zig-zag sig back then?) he probably told the kid "Don't you go selling that on Ebay!" 😄 

Edited by Estil

On 3/24/2020 at 4:45 AM, DarkTone said:

Even without the outbreak, this mania looks poor. 

All the more reason I asked if there's anyway you can see past ones?

Also what exactly makes 'Mania and the other PPV's different from the "regular" wrestling you see on TV?  I mean there does have to be a special distinction or else people wouldn't pay what, $40-$50ish for it?

6 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

I think it's fine, it's not the best 'Mania but it's above average at least. Pretty hype to see McIntyre finally get a world title

^This plus the return of Edge.  The Edge/Orton build has been great.  I'd say a lot of the matches have potential, just cause they are going to be doing something different like with Fiend/Cean and Undertaker/Styles.  Potential hidden gems too like Bryan/Zayn and the Women's 6-pack.

Predictions:

WWE Championship -- Drew McIntyre beats Brock Lesnar (c): McIntyre beats Brock.  Finally McIntyre gets the title.

Universal Championship -- Roman Reigns beats Goldberg (c) : Big Dog wins in a short and sweet match.  Passing of the torch moment, Goldberg officially retires.

Edge beats Randy Orton (Last Man Standing): Edge's first single's match back, it's been made so personal Edge has to win.  If Beth is around she might get involved and get some payback too.

"The Fiend" Bray Wyatt beats John Cena. : Wyatt needs to win the rubber match here after losing to Cena at WM 30.  Both "The Fiend" and Wyatt being in the match seems interesting.

Raw Women's Championship -- Shayna Baszler beats Becky Lynch (c)  Watch Rocky 3.  Becky is overconfident, needs to get knocked down a peg by the hungry challenger.  Shayna can hold down the division while Becky Balboa is away/gets her mojo back.

NXT Women's Championship -- Rhea Ripley (c) beats Charlotte Flair: I don't know what they do here.  I can't see Charlotte losing clean and I can't see her winning and going back down to NXT to defend.  Thinking Belair gets involved or something happens to give Ripley the win and protect Charlotte.

SmackDown Women's Championship -- Bayley (c) wins: I kind of feel like before things went upside down, we were going to see the return of Paige.  But that seems unlikely now.  I feel like Bayley is going to somehow retain but the tension between her and Banks is going to be too much leading to an epic feud down the line.

The Undertaker beats AJ Styles (Boneyard Match): No idea what a Bone Match is, but between Styles and the gimmick it might be Taker's best mania match in years.  Or if not let's get a glorious train wreck, have Gallows and Anderson as mummies,  have McCool come in riding a tiger.

Seth Rollins beats Kevin Owens: Doesn't feel like this feud is over.  Could go either way, but I think Rollins will get the help of Murphy/AOP and get the win to make his new heel faction look strong.

Raw Tag Team Championship -- The Street Profits (c) beat Andrade & Angel Garza: Street Profits just got the belts so I don't see them dropping.  Could be a hell of a match.

Aleister Black beats Bobby Lashley: Black should win easy here

King Corbin beats Elias: Elias will get another loss and Corbin another win.  If they are serious about Gronk getting in the ring, he could get involved to setup something with him and Corbin.

Intercontinental Championship -- Sami Zayn beats Daniel Bryan: The stuff with Byran and Gulak has been great.  I think Cesaro and Nak will get involved and Zayn will win.  But Bryan and Gulak will instead go after Miz and Morison for the tag titles, and we can see a better payoff to the long running Bryan/Miz fued than what we got.

It was tbd if it is Usos or New Day challenging but I think Miz and Morison will retain if that match is happening still.

I didn't see it on the card but they have been building towards a Kabuki Warriors/BlissCross match.  It's a freaking pirate theme for Mania come on have Saine entering on a pirate ship you cowards.

Edited by fox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fox said:

I kind of feel like before things went upside down, we were going to see the return of Paige.  But that seems unlikely now.

I think this was unlikely, but you never know

She had to go in for some emergency surgery apparently a few weeks ago, which is partly why she missed the last couple SD's that she was booked to appear in

Also I agree with all your predictions minus the SD Women's match, I think someone else (probably Sasha) will walk out with it after turning on Bayley, unless ofc Bayley turns on Sasha to retain and we get a proper feud between the two of them going forward.

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X

17 hours ago, Estil said:

All the more reason I asked if there's anyway you can see past ones?

Also what exactly makes 'Mania and the other PPV's different from the "regular" wrestling you see on TV?  I mean there does have to be a special distinction or else people wouldn't pay what, $40-$50ish for it?

Yep, on the WWE Network, it's a streaming service for ~10 a month.  Compared to times past where you would pay a set PPV price ($30/40/50/60), this is just a monthly deal and you get all the live "PPVs" included, even Wrestlemania.  I'm totally good with this as a entry-level fan, but $10 a month is about where my limit is (they haven't increased their price in years it might be coming now that they are struggling).

Also, this Network has a ridiculous amount of old PPVs, DVDs, specials, even from acquisitions like WCW etc.

And you're right the "PPVs" aren't terribly different than the regular weekly stuff, just glorified and has the marquee matchups, usually including multiple title fights.  I would compare it to the Super Bowl in relation to a weekly regular season game :).

Edited by Boosted52405

But at least the Super Bowl is a real championship...I mean you guys do know wrestling is fake right? *shields face in anticipation of tomatoes and such thrown at me*  And for Rocky's sake I sure hope it is fake!!  If not, then he's gonna need a really good chiropractor!!