IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

It's quite an interesting time for pro wrestling! AEW has debuted on TNT and seems to be doing well. RAW is still on USA and Smackdown has moved to Fox. NXT is now on USA competing head to head with AEW. Also, brands like the NWA, Impact, ROH, EVOLVE,  and others are finding success.

What is everyone watching lately? What do you like and dislike?

Personally, I am only watching AEW currently due to my schedule, which doesn't allow for hours and hours of pro wrestling consumption a week. I do follow what happens on WWE shows though via Reddit. I am enjoying AEW quite a bit and I think they have some improvements to make but overall it's quite a fun product.

I watch pretty much everything. Raw on Monday, NWA on Tuesday, AEW live on Wednesday, NXT replay on Thursday and Smackdown on Friday. I try to catch NJPW when I can. I used to watch ROH, but DirecTV dropped the local station that carried it. I used to post regularly in the NA wrestling thread, but the WWE had been so unwatchable I was just catching up via wrestling websites and Youtube clips. I'm mostly enjoying AEW and NXT at the moment. The two main WWE shows got makeovers with the network changes, but it's still the same "sports entertainment" heavy product. I'm liking the new NWA show as well. It's only an hour and it's posted on Youtube so its easy to watch. I like the old school studio style wrestling format compared to the overproduced WWE product.

• Like 1

I skim AEW and pick up bits of WWE news through osmosis. I've been out of the loop for a while though. I'll probably still watch Wrestle Kingdom because that's consistently been my favorite show of the year, but I think I'm a couple years behind on even Wrestlemania 😞 I burnt out on how bad WWE has become and need to muster my enthusiasm back up for AEW.

I dig NWA.  Its more what I wanna see.  Im happy everyones doing well and im happy that AEW is doing well but I this its MOSTLY terrible, except for the top angle.  Im not into fancy moves because its the cheapest way to get over.  You can see their biggest match was Cody/Dustin which was not about moves but the story and it was BRILLIANT.  

Watch WWE regularly, finding the Cain/Fury stuff to be very fairy tailish, and apparently upsetting veterans as they are being shot to the top as a cash grab sort of thing.

Was really into the Fiend until HiTC.  Now losing interest in all of WWE, nothing is really catching me lately...huge Brock and Balor fan and they are stale/injured if I recall correctly.  Still predicting a Demon vs Fiend clash maybe for Wrestlemania if Fiend makes it that long.

AEW seemed really good at first, but does feel repetitive lately - I really like their time limits and feel their wrestling is more entertaining (aggressive).

I should give NXT a shot but never really have...

1 minute ago, Boosted52405 said:

Watch WWE regularly, finding the Cain/Fury stuff to be very fairy tailish, and apparently upsetting veterans as they are being shot to the top as a cash grab sort of thing.

Was really into the Fiend until HiTC.  Now losing interest in all of WWE, nothing is really catching me lately...huge Brock and Balor fan and they are stale/injured if I recall correctly.  Still predicting a Demon vs Fiend clash maybe for Wrestlemania if Fiend makes it that long.

AEW seemed really good at first, but does feel repetitive lately - I really like their time limits and feel their wrestling is more entertaining (aggressive).

I should give NXT a shot but never really have...

Finn Balor is on NXT as a heel so I don't see a Fiend/Demon match anytime soon. I honestly thought it would be an option for Survivor Series before Finn ended up in NXT when he came back.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I'm not disagreeing, just curious, what are you guys finding repetitive about AEW? There has only been 4 episodes so far, right?

Yeah so far, initially it was great but it’s getting to repetitive. Chris Jericho antics are starting to get old. 

The wrestling is great but after so many matches how many times can you see wrestlers flying off ropes 

3 hours ago, Bear85 said:

Yeah so far, initially it was great but it’s getting to repetitive. Chris Jericho antics are starting to get old. 

The wrestling is great but after so many matches how many times can you see wrestlers flying off ropes 

That would be my main issue with AEW. The roster is still pretty thin, so they have to lean hard on their top guys because a lot of the matches those Indy wrestlers put on are just drawn out chains of spots that look like they have the move sets from a NES game. I think it was one of the PPV shows where the one guy hit so many powerbombs, even Jim Ross made some comment about if he even knew how to do any other moves.

1 hour ago, Quaze said:

Love Orange Cassidy, he's basically just making a mockery of the entire concept of kayfabe every time he sets foot in the ring. God bless 'em.

I'm not really a fan of that kind of stuff either, especially when AEW tries to present itself as having a real sports feel. At least Orange Cassidy is funny and not flat out stupid like Joey Ryan with his "suplex". The guy is actually a decent wrestler and could probably get by with a Rick Rude style gimmick instead of relying on shock value.

10 hours ago, SuperJimtendo said:

I will come back to this thread after I've had a chance to read it properly and respond. 

I don't Love  wrestling any less than I ever have. It its realistically a bigger part of my life than video games ever were. But I haven't been watching much of it lately. 

I'm interested to hear your thoughts. If you haven't been watching lately, there's definitely enough content right now (pushing the point of excess). Unfortunately, the increase in quantity hasn't caused a major improvement in quality.

While trying to take my mind off my troubles the last few months, I started focusing more on my love of wrestling and tried to delve into why I'm not watching wwe. A big part of that is its harder to hang out with my wrestling buddies. 

I think another part of it is I never watched nxt over the last what 12 years it's been on? And the main roster is 90% call ups from past nxt rosters. When these people come up the crowd is super into it and I just don't understand what the draw is. Most notably recently with people like heavy machinery and Nikki cross. The live crowd goes wild so I try to pay attention to what it is that for the reaction and then I'm pretty Meh on their characters and match quality. 

Its also really easy to not care when anything that's a major spoiler I may have missed is easily accessed online. 

As far as new nxt and aew go. I've enjoyed what I was able to watch of them. Finn balors return was a hype train that I was ready to board. I loved the championship match between Adam cole and matt riddle. They did a spectacular job in the ring.

Cody vs Dustin was a 10/10 perfect match. Beautiful storytelling a great homage to their daddy and his feud with ric flair. One of the best pure wrestling matches I've seen in a long time, Cody and Darby was quality too.

But again it's hard to care about a lot of these characters. Most everyone now is just some guy. While we don't really need Cartoon characters (although the Viking Raiders are growing in me) I still want a reason to care about this bad guy vs good guy. 2 dudes having beef isn't really it. 

I recently took to reddit and mentioned that alister Black's entrance is far too grand and slow for his spot on the card and should be reserved for ppv or Special  events. The new breed wrestling fans shit on that whole theory. He's being given this huge amount of TV time and i'm checking out, out of boredom before he even gets to the ring. Asuka with the mist was cool the first time, now she's already misted 6863478547865 people and took the magic away. I get that it'll look great for the next set of toys and the next video game. But they are trying too hard to create and sell New products as opposed to giving quality time to develop story and characters. 

That's the end of my rant for now. I often feel I'm watching a different program than most people. I'm watching the wrestlers mannerisms I'm watching the match quality I'm being too critical and not enjoying the programs. I'm easily checked out. But man. I still love wrestling. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Finn Balor is on NXT as a heel so I don't see a Fiend/Demon match anytime soon. I honestly thought it would be an option for Survivor Series before Finn ended up in NXT when he came back.

Aw, what?  I thought he was hurt all this time, and he's on NXT...interesting...I should give NXT a try.

For the repetitiveness of AEW, I feel it's very mild and maybe it's because the roster is thin and still growing.  I'm not biting on the inner circle thing yet lol.

2 hours ago, SuperJimtendo said:

I recently took to reddit and mentioned that alister Black's entrance is far too grand and slow for his spot on the card and should be reserved for ppv or Special  events. The new breed wrestling fans shit on that whole theory. He's being given this huge amount of TV time and i'm checking out, out of boredom before he even gets to the ring. Asuka with the mist was cool the first time, now she's already misted 6863478547865 people and took the magic away.

I think this is a good point, IMO WWE is handling great opportunities roughly.  The Fiend could have been the coolest gimmick in forever if they played it right, but they flushed it and probably won't recover.  Asuka's mist should have been rarely used, kind of like how we rarely see Finn's Demon.  There is no suspense factor.

Alister Black is pushed as some badass, but I agree I have been super bored with him - I think it's because I didn't watch NXT and really have no attachment or emotional development yet.  His entrance is really over the top and kind of lame in my eyes, wish they would have brought him in with a splash and worked him up to the way he's portrayed now.

The Fury/Velasquez stuff seems overly forced as well, not enjoying the "flow" of it - pretty clear attempt at ratings draw.

Well, maybe Crown Jewel will surprise me :).

Looks like I've got AEW and NXT tonight, Crown Jewel tomorrow and Smackdown Friday and NJPW on Saturday. That's with already watching Raw on Monday, NWA and some of Impact yesterday. If there was a Sunday ppv that would make some kind of wrestling program every night this week. I think having options is a good thing, but that's a ton of wrestling to watch in a week. I wish at least one of these shows could get to being "must watch" status. I think a lot to do with the overall drop in quality across the board is the oversaturation in the industry.

44 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

Aw, what?  I thought he was hurt all this time, and he's on NXT...interesting...I should give NXT a try.

For the repetitiveness of AEW, I feel it's very mild and maybe it's because the roster is thin and still growing.  I'm not biting on the inner circle thing yet lol.

Balor took time off after his Summerslam loss to The Fiend and just debuted back on NXT and turned heel last week going back to the style of his Prince Devitt character from NJPW. I do think the main issue with AEW is the thin roster, but they still have only been a company for less than a year so I can give them a bit of a pass before being to tough on them.