IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

On 3/27/2020 at 9:59 PM, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

The first Mania put Mania on the map with the rock n wrestling connection. But yea WM3 is notable for Hogan body slamming Andre the Giant to one of the biggest pops ever. Be forewarned not all manias are "winners"

You can't go wrong with the first few at least right?

PS: Am I the only one here who thinks the pre-match trash talking is more fun than the match itself?

Edited by Estil

38 minutes ago, Estil said:

So I finally got around to watching the first 'Mania...is it supposed to be only one hour?  And how much was the PPV price back then?  Wow, how many people back then (1985) even had cable, and of those, how many even offered 'Mania?

It was lol. It hadn't been done before. It was pretty revolutionary for it's time, and was broadcast to well over an estimated 1 million households, which was unprecedented.

37 minutes ago, Estil said:

You can't go wrong with the first few at least right?

PS: Am I the only one here who thinks the pre-match trash talking is more fun than the match itself?

I guess, you're pretty good through WM6 (first "bad" one I would say with certainty was 7, followed by 9) though 2 was a bit of a mess as you'll see lol

Nah, especially in the early days when you had Hogan and Piper and Macho Man and Flair, some great (and crazy) things were said

I highly recommend you watch Royal Rumble 92 before you get to WM8 for the best experience lol

What was wrong with 7 and 9?  And Macho Man was the Slim Jim guy right?  And yes like most kids in that period I was into Hulk Hogan, especially his Suburban Commando movie 🙂  And I asked about the WM1 time because I wanted to make sure it wasn't like cut/edited or something 😛

Edited by Estil

12 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Wrestlemania 1 was def not one hour.  Id guess 2 and a half?  They were usually that long.  then I think towards 4 till about 7 they were close to 3 hours?

Okay, so what am I missing (oh geez; it's missing the main event!  Maybe he's got part 2 somewhere)?  Did anyone here actually see the first few (80s) 'Manias back when they were on/current?  I had just turned five years old at the time of WM1.  And be honest, those of you who saw WM1 back in '85, did you feel you got your ppv's worth?  Did you think it would become as big as it did or it would just be a one off thing, or...?  I can only imagine like I said before how back in '85 not that many people could get cable, and of those not that many even could get WM1.

I'm sure nobody back then would've even suggested the idea of one of the co-commentators becoming governor just 13 years later!! 😄 

Edited by Estil

14 hours ago, Estil said:

What was wrong with 7 and 9?  And Macho Man was the Slim Jim guy right?  And yes like most kids in that period I was into Hulk Hogan, especially his Suburban Commando movie 🙂  And I asked about the WM1 time because I wanted to make sure it wasn't like cut/edited or something 😛

I have been rewatching the older pay per view in order. I have seen both of those recently. 7 was just kinda boring. No standout matches, no real big story lines. It just kinda happened. Summer Slam was much better that year. 

Wrestlemania 9 was mostly a good watch. I enjoyed quite a few of the matches. The ending really upsets the show. Don’t want to spoil it. Incase you haven’t seen it. 

Side note, I was in attendance at Wrestlemania 8. So I can’t give an unbiased opinion on that. I also went to a Saturday Night Main Event in 92. 

If you want shorter shows. From the 80s and 90s. Summer Slam and Survivor Series have been pretty solid. Mania is mostly hype. I think the other three PPVs from the same era have been more enjoyable to watch. 

19 minutes ago, themisfit138 said:

Side note, I was in attendance at Wrestlemania 8. So I can’t give an unbiased opinion on that. I also went to a Saturday Night Main Event in 92.

How was it?  I bet being at eight was just great! 😄 (sorry I couldn't resist)...how old were you at the time?  I don't suppose Trump was there was he? 😄 

Back to WM1, Cyndi Lauper was a fun guest star 🙂   As for Billy Martin, how would you like be manager for a team five separate times?

Edited by Estil

3 minutes ago, Estil said:

How was it?  I bet being at eight was just great! 😄 (sorry I couldn't resist)...how old were you at the time?  I don't suppose Trump was there was he? 😄 

I was 9. I don’t think Trump went to Indiana in the 90s. 😄 It is all nostalgia even watching them on dvd now. 

I also went to Wrestlemania 25 as an adult. I can remember that quite a bit better. The crowd reactions on the network and bluray versions have been altered. The worst offender is. The HHH vs Orton match the live crowd was chanting “triple H, Sucks” “Orton, Sucks” and “BORING” the entire match. None of that is heard on the official releases. 

3 minutes ago, themisfit138 said:

I was 9. I don’t think Trump went to Indiana in the 90s. 😄 It is all nostalgia even watching them on dvd now. 

I also went to Wrestlemania 25 as an adult. I can remember that quite a bit better. The crowd reactions on the network and bluray versions have been altered. The worst offender is. The HHH vs Orton match the live crowd was chanting “triple H, Sucks” “Orton, Sucks” and “BORING” the entire match. None of that is heard on the official releases. 

Well Pence (or then current governor Evan Bayh who was once a top VP short lister in his own right) could've been there!  And why would they alter/censor something like that?  I thought the whole point of the DVD/Blu-Ray version is to get the uncut/uncensored version?  Shoot the way they butchered MegaMan NT Warrior back in the day was bad enough... 😞 

4 hours ago, Estil said:

And be honest, those of you who saw WM1 back in '85, did you feel you got your ppv's worth?  Did you think it would become as big as it did or it would just be a one off thing, or...?

I wasn't around (I was only 2) but first off it wasn't a PPV, it was shown on Closed Circuit and only a handful of people saw it on PPV.  Starrcade 83 was the first kind of an event like that.  Vince was competing with the NWA with these shows.  NWA Had Starrcade 83 and 84 by the time WM was ready.  People didn't care about getting their 'moneys' worth per say cuz it was still legit to most people then.  They were buying it or watching it the way an MMA fight would be.  I think people saw it as a big special 'event' as the main event wasn't anything HUGE that was built up over time.  It was really just a continuation of Hogan v. Piper with extra celeb pizzaz.  All the other matches weren't any big feuds.  Which is why after that, they had the "The Wrestling Classic" afterward.  I think the Main Event was Hogan Piper... could be wrong.  Since WM became profitable and went better than expected, they starting using it as their 'big' show.  Then as NWA added more shows or live TV events, the WWF added theirs too.  Starting off with Survivor Series in 87 competing against NWA Starrcade 87.  Then the 88 Rumble to compete with I think the Clash of Champions.  Or The Bunkhouse Stampede.  

You get the picture now

3 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

I have been rewatching the older pay per view in order. I have seen both of those recently. 7 was just kinda boring. No standout matches, no real big story lines. It just kinda happened. Summer Slam was much better that year. 

Wrestlemania 9 was mostly a good watch. I enjoyed quite a few of the matches. The ending really upsets the show. Don’t want to spoil it. Incase you haven’t seen it. 

If you want shorter shows. From the 80s and 90s. Summer Slam and Survivor Series have been pretty solid. Mania is mostly hype. I think the other three PPVs from the same era have been more enjoyable to watch. 

Thats cool but MAN WM 9 is awful!  

People have to keep in mind that the older PPVs were not as they were today, they built from it.  Usually they had one or two real 'main event' matches, some special attraction or blowoff matches and then some filler for the card.  Prob by Wrestlemania 18 or 19 is when they really tried to make every match special or have some sort of feud.  I could be wrong because my knowledge drops off GREATLY after 2000.

• Like 2

So I did in fact for the first time ever watch the first 'Mania and now I'm doing the WWF Wrestling Classic (not to be confused with Wendy's Big Bacon Classic 😄 ) which occurred between the first and second 'Manias.  I do think it's cool that for both of these the future governor of MN was one of the commentators...but why a commentator and not one of the wrestlers?  I didn't think he'd already be retired at that point...

Also, did people know even back then it was fake/scripted or whatever?  I don't mean that to be insulting (honest) I'm just curious.  I mean I was only five years old at the time!!

18 minutes ago, Estil said:

So I did in fact for the first time ever watch the first 'Mania and now I'm doing the WWF Wrestling Classic (not to be confused with Wendy's Big Bacon Classic 😄 ) which occurred between the first and second 'Manias.  I do think it's cool that for both of these the future governor of MN was one of the commentators...but why a commentator and not one of the wrestlers?  I didn't think he'd already be retired at that point...

Also, did people know even back then it was fake/scripted or whatever?  I don't mean that to be insulting (honest) I'm just curious.  I mean I was only five years old at the time!!

In the north east you had a quite a few people that were in on it, but nowhere at the levels that they are now because of the internet.  Thats part of the reason why wrestling not only lost its charm but its widespread appeal to 'casual' watchers.  The NWA offered a way more 'serious' wrestling product, so if you want more realism and believably, thats where you'll find it.  Hell Starrcade 85 and like 20 wrestlers on it and i'd say 14 of them bled.  The northeast territory was more about outlandish 'comicbook' like characters, but didn't go way over the top with it till Hogan really helped make the WWF mainstream in 87/88ish.

Jesse had to retire because he has bloodclots in his lungs.  He did wrestle VERY rarely in the mid 80s.

2 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

In the north east you had a quite a few people that were in on it, but nowhere at the levels that they are now because of the internet.  Thats part of the reason why wrestling not only lost its charm but its widespread appeal to 'casual' watchers.  The NWA offered a way more 'serious' wrestling product, so if you want more realism and believably, thats where you'll find it.  Hell Starrcade 85 and like 20 wrestlers on it and i'd say 14 of them bled.  The northeast territory was more about outlandish 'comicbook' like characters, but didn't go way over the top with it till Hogan really helped make the WWF mainstream in 87/88ish.

Jesse had to retire because he has bloodclots in his lungs.  He did wrestle VERY rarely in the mid 80s.

I didn't know he went that far back.  BTW wasn't it cute how when ran for governor he changed his nickname from "The Body" to Jesse "The Mind" Ventura.  I also seen a few of his "The World According to Jesse" shows on YT and he is a good guy to watch/listen to even if I do find some of his views to be a bit too, eh..."radical" for my taste.

The main reason I'm trying this is mainly to experience the pop culture history.  And I am in fact looking forward to seeing how 'Mania was during the prime of Hulkmania because I was quite the Hulk fan back then like a lot of kids were...and c'mon you gotta admit Suburban Commando was an awesome movie. 🙂

3 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Jesse was by far a great heel commentator.  A good yin to the yang for someone like Gorilla or Vince.  But he was a much better talker and look than he was in the ring.  

Yeah, remember how I said I honestly thought the pre-match trash talking was more fun than the match itself?  I honestly was wondering if that's wrestling's equivalent of someone who only gets Playboy for the pictures.

2 minutes ago, Estil said:

Yeah, remember how I said I honestly thought the pre-match trash talking was more fun than the match itself?  I honestly was wondering if that's wrestling's equivalent of someone who only gets Playboy for the pictures.

You wouldn't be wrong.  I think a lot of current wrestlers don't really understand that its better to 'get over' more with charisma, personality and talking than what happens in the ring.  What happens in the ring is really the least important part.

Hee hee, would it be a safe bet to assume that the pusedo-Soviet guy is meant to be one of the heels (villians)? 😄   I got a little suspcious though when his signing of the Soviet anthem didn't sound right and *wikied him* sure enough, he wasn't really from the USSR, he was really from what was then Yugoslavia.  But I guess back then nobody really knew or cared.  I should probably get used to this idea of foreign heels not really being from the countries they claim to represent right?

At least that guy with the bagpipes players in WM1 was really Scottish at least...right?

Edited by Estil

The foreign thing was really only a North East thing, altho each territory had some sort of foreign heel.  But in the North East, before Vince Jr., they always catered to the ethnic crowd for the babyfaces.  Where as in the NWA it was more about a heel being the champ and the babyfaces trying to get it off them.  If you look at the champions Bruno = Italians, then it went to Ivan a heel, then to Pedro for the Puerto Ricans.  They had to take the belt off of him because if he lost there would be riots.  It went to Superstar Billy Graham who was a flamboyant heel.  Really the Hogan before Hogan.  He actually was getting over with the crown but Vince Sr. swore the belt to Bob Backlund, the All-American babyface.  Then the belt went to Sheik, the foreign heel, then back to Hogan, Vince Jrs idea of the 'All-American' babyface.  The rest his history.

10 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Jesse was by far a great heel commentator.  A good yin to the yang for someone like Gorilla or Vince.  But he was a much better talker and look than he was in the ring.  

Gorilla and Jesse make a great announcing team. Vince did have a good voice back then. I always liked his rundown of the Survivor Series Card. The early version of the Mr. McMahon voice from the Attitude era. I think Gorilla interacted better with Jesse. A lot like JR and King. Bobby Heenan and Vince worked pretty well also. 

Edited by themisfit138

On 1/7/2020 at 12:10 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

They should have had a Hulk Hogan vs Rocky match before that Hogan/Zeus match from No Holds Barred. 

I think I might have seen that movie as well way back when; and as Hulk himself says right here, it was rated PG-13 so even the littlest Hulkster can go see it 🙂 

On 1/21/2020 at 12:57 PM, G-type said:

I was never that much into wrestling as a kid and even I got swept up into hulkamania. I had this:

hqdefault.jpg

1_0d824823eadb7abfbafa39e5b9490c88.jpg

And for those who want to listen to it...and lookie there it's made by the AVGN's all time favorite video game company! 😄

1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

Pretty funny to hear Gary Cappetta on this at the end of the Hulkster tape.  His most known for his work in WCW but worked in the WWWF in the 70s

Well the WCW didn't come along until what, late 80s or so?  I hope you don't think this is silly but back in the day I liked to refer to the WWF and WCW respectively as the National League (older league) and American League (younger league) of wrestling 😄