IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2024 at 1:17 PM, DarkTone said:

Mania thoughts?

I liked it. It was basically exactly what I expected, but that's not a bad thing. Anything else likely would've been "a swerve for the sake of a swerve" Lot's of title changes, lots of unexpected little cameo appearances, lots of expected "surprises" (seconds before Damian Priest's music hit and he cashed in his Money in the Bank, my brother said "now watch, Damian Priest will cash in his Money in the Bank and win the title")lots of over-the-top stuff that wouldn't make sense in any other context. I thought it was fun.

I see a lot of fans complaining about how it all went down, and how this and that didn't make sense, why was ____ or _____ there, why wasn't ______ or ______ there, etc etc etc. To those people I say "who cares, just enjoy wrestling".

It was the best post-pandemic Mania in my opinion for sure.

• Agree 1

I've barely kept up with the WWE in the past 18 months and I've only checked in on news of releases and what belts have changed over.

I watched the two Roman Reigns matches.  As a character, he's fine, and I like Joe as a person.  That said 1,500+ days with a title belt makes the run get booooooring.  I was glad to be there to see him finally lose, and seeing The Rock come back was fun too, though I know that was set up months in advance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RH said:

I've barely kept up with the WWE in the past 18 months and I've only checked in on news of releases and what belts have changed over.

I watched the two Roman Reigns matches.  As a character, he's fine, and I like Joe as a person.  That said 1,500+ days with a title belt makes the run get booooooring.  I was glad to be there to see him finally lose, and seeing The Rock come back was fun too, though I know that was set up months in advance.

I don't think we'll see any insanely long title reigns in the next little while, it was clear that people were getting tired of the Roman and Gunther 50-year title reigns, and it's time for a change of pace. If I were a betting man, I'd say that Sami Zayn and Cody Rhodes will hold the titles for a fraction of the amount of time that their championship predecessors did.

I enjoyed the matches I cared about.  Rheas, the 2 main events and Gunthers.  Altho the match was great, having Sami beat Gunther means nothing.  Should have given it to Bron or someone to actually make them. 

People need to grow up with long title reins because they have ADD.  They want a new champion every 2 months, doesn't work that way.  Having long title holders makes the title WAY more important.  Most old school fans can tell you the lineage of a title, and then around the year 2002 it all falls apart.  Its INCREDIBLY stupid for ANYONE to be in the wrestling business for like 9 years and have 10 title reins.  Its meaningless.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I enjoyed the matches I cared about.  Rheas, the 2 main events and Gunthers.  Altho the match was great, having Sami beat Gunther means nothing.  Should have given it to Bron or someone to actually make them. 

People need to grow up with long title reins because they have ADD.  They want a new champion every 2 months, doesn't work that way.  Having long title holders makes the title WAY more important.  Most old school fans can tell you the lineage of a title, and then around the year 2002 it all falls apart.  Its INCREDIBLY stupid for ANYONE to be in the wrestling business for like 9 years and have 10 title reins.  Its meaningless.

I can agree with this to an extent, and even though my entertainment with the industry has been hit or miss for 25 years, I'd argue there's a BIG difference between a title belt being held for 2 months vs. nearly 4 years.

IMHO, the reigns could range from 6-18 months.  A good run being 24 and a "king legend" holding it form maybe 3 years.  But four years... I'm not trying to pull back the curtain but it's as I was telling my wife during the Reigns/Rhodes match that this is scripted.  After a while, it gets boring.  Now, if this was legitimate and a "sport" rather than "entertainment", my opinion would be 100% different.  Kudos to anyone in, say, boxing who can be a reigning champion for years over years, but this is entertainment.  It's planned.  Eventually you need to stop letting one guy collect every belt in the show and have him hold them ad nauseum.

Edited by RH

1 hour ago, RH said:

IMHO, the reigns could range from 6-18 months.  A good run being 24 and a "king legend" holding it form maybe 3 years.  But four years... I'm not trying to pull back the curtain but it's as I was telling my wife during the Reigns/Rhodes match that this is scripted.  After a while, it gets boring.  Now, if this was legitimate and a "sport" rather than "entertainment", my opinion would be 100% different.  Kudos to anyone in, say, boxing who can be a reigning champion for years over years, but this is entertainment.  It's planned.  Eventually you need to stop letting one guy collect every belt in the show and have him hold them ad nauseum.

Doesn't matter.  It may be 'planned' but what draws ratings?  They made Roman like a god and it made him.  SO when the baby face slays him, it makes it even THAT more impactful.  You put the belts on the people that draw, thats it.  Its not a charity because they're nice guys or deserve it.  If Roman didn't have a huge run, it wouldn't have made Cody that much more special.  I do think though that they should scrap the other title, you only need one title.  Way too many belts today, again diluting them.  Also, what gets boring?  Someone holding the title for too long? Then I would say you're watching it for the wrong reason.

• Love 1