IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

On 2/7/2020 at 4:09 PM, G-type said:

Does anyone just watch wrestling as a fan anymore? Every single person I have ever encountered has always been talking about how so-and-so is "getting over" and "got a good pop" and "why doesn't WWE book it this way, do they want to ruin the product?!!"

Present! I don't watch much if any wrestling to analyze or critique it, though obviously I have and will participate in "smarky" discussion... but my qualifications for pro wrestling (with basically anything else I watch for amusement or otherwise) was whether I was entertained or not; which the question is, does discussing whether something worked or not inherently make it smarky? Every other kind of media and entertainment has it's critics, regardless of if it's real or not. Is it so bad about being critical about pro wrestling too?

Even with how vocal pro wrestling fans are and how much it lives and dies by its fan interaction/acceptance, it's not any better or worse imo than other fandoms.

I thought the Royal Rumble was great.

Hell in a Cell was pretty awful.

Looking forward to Wrestlemania this year more then I have in a few at least.

• Like 1

I think I said it before, but I'll say it again;

The "Wednsday Night War" bewteen AEW and NXT is great, and Wednesday night is a definite contender for the best pro wrestling anywhere.

NXT TakeOver: Portland is this weekend, and like pretty much every TakeOver is looking for be phenomonal and every match spectacular, good chane it might be one of the best TakeOvers ever. I'm especially looking forward to Keith Lee vs Dominic Dijakovich as they always put on great matches and I'm all aboard the Keith Lee train.

Next weekend is AEW Revolution, and that is also looking to be pretty dang great. Not sure which match I'm looking forward to the most, might give that to Darby Allin vs. Sammy Guervara. The World Title match between Jericho and Moxley should also be great, though I don't forsee them taking the title off Jericho yet... I feel like they might be waiting until All Out 2 to do that, give Jericho a nice full year long reign with it.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 7:51 AM, DarkTone said:

A lot of online hate for the new AEW women's champion. 

Not unexpected. It's because Nyla Rose is openly transgender, so internet gonna internet.

She actually is pretty darn good wrestler and I kinda agree she should've just been the inaugural champ from the get go, especially after they rather half-assed Riho's run with very intermittent & spaced out appearances, which is a shame because Riho is quite good in the ring (helps shes a 13 year vet at the age of 22)

Question;

What are some AEW vs. WWE Dream Matches you would like to see?

Obviously it is nigh completely unlikely to happen, but never say never

Darby Allin vs Bray Wyatt would be pretty hype

Was gonna say Keith Lee vs Jeff Cobb but that's already happened on the indies several times, though would be great on a bigger stage.

On 2/20/2020 at 7:22 PM, fox said:

Started watching the Ruthless Aggression documentary series on the network.  Pretty much picks up where the Monday Night Wars series left off.

I tried to watch the first episode... but man was the self aggrandizing way, way excessive. It is amazing nearly 20 years later how much Vince/WWE still waste no oppourtunity to spout off about how they won the Monday Night Wars and put WCW out of business and how great it makes them. It's like the middle age slob who still tells everyone how in High School they were the Homecoming King/Queen or their Student Council President... like great, no one actually gives a h*ck anymore lol

I can’t watch many of the WWE produced documentaries about the business, Attitude era especially. They always make out Degeneration-X to be the biggest deal ever. I remember watching WWF and WCW back then. The real talk was about Austin, Rock or Nitro. DX were just childish annoyances, to get to the Austin/Rock segments. History is written by the remainders, I guess. 

3 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

I can’t watch many of the WWE produced documentaries about the business, Attitude era especially. They always make out Degeneration-X to be the biggest deal ever. I remember watching WWF and WCW back then. The real talk was about Austin, Rock or Nitro. DX were just childish annoyances, to get to the Austin/Rock segments. History is written by the remainders, I guess. 

I dunno if you were around then but I was.  It was pretty huge.  REALLY huge.

50 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I'm at work but I followed the Super Showdown results and saw some clips.

Reveal hidden contents

That has to be one of the worst jackhammers I've ever seen, lol

At least you didn't sit through the entire show. It was bad even by current WWE standards. Both title matches were about 5 minutes combined. The AEW ppv Saturday will hopefully be decent.

• Haha 1

Super Showdown; The Good, The Bad, and Everything Else

Good

Spoiler

For no build, Raiders vs The OC was a decent match. Good tag team wrasslin

The Gauntlet match was well done enough for the purposes of getting to what was the quite obvious end goal of Styles vs Taker at 'Mania. Also neat to see R-Truth get something of a rub (I'm a fan of R-Truth, guy works hard and always puts on entertaining matches at the very least)

I'll give the SD Tag Championship match this much; Match was good. It's much better to see The Miz as a heel and being successful. Hopefully though Xavier Woods is back before too long and Kofi can get back into the singles competition

Corbin vs Reigns was good, entertaining Cage match... now can we never ever have this feud again? lol. It shouldve been over a month or so ago, let it be over now with a definitive decision such as this...

Bad

Spoiler

Humberto vs Garza match itself was good, but man is Humberto getting buried... seemed like they were going for something when he had that moment of actual character development with the DDT on Andrade... but ofc not. Again the matches have been great but I dont really care otherwise, would just like to see something actually done with Humberto Carillo because he is pretty great.

All the potential for Lesnar vs Ricochet... but nope. That's all there is to say about that.

Goldberg is now a two time Universal Champ... that's all there is to say about that... except it isn't good god that Jackhammer.

Everything Else

Spoiler

Raw tag team championship match was also pretty good, but the question is still being begged; why are Murphy and Rollins the tag team champions when they have an actual tag team in their faction? Be a great opportunity to give them all the gold with Rollins world champ, Murphy US title and AoP the Tag Team titles... maybe eventually? We wont know til it happens tho lol

Mansoor is pretty great, got a lot going for him.... now if he wasn't just a glorified show horse and only rolled out for the Saudi Shows. Again, maybe eventually.

Bayley vs. Naomi was a good match... until the end. I guess some props for it being a considerably better match then Natalya vs. Lacey Evans

Overall, the Show was serviceable, but what was bad was just especially bad imho. Not the worst show ever but jeez

49 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

At least you didn't sit through the entire show. It was bad even by current WWE standards. Both title matches were about 5 minutes combined. The AEW ppv Saturday will hopefully be decent.

AEW Revolution should be great. I've no doubt.

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I'm at work but I followed the Super Showdown results and saw some clips.

Hide contents

That has to be one of the worst jackhammers I've ever seen, lol

That was atrocious.

Spoiler

It's a miracle Wyatt didn't get dropped on his head

It was like watching a car crash in slow motion. You could see it coming after they took 10x too long to set it up

5 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

The Monday Night War series wasn't too egregious, and is actually a decent watch. But otherwise, yes? It should go without saying

2 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Agreed, during the attitude era pretty much everyone was watching pro wrestling at some point.

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X

26 minutes ago, fox said:

Wow

Hide contents

Goldberg beats The Fiend?  Unexpected.  I guess this means Goldberg vs Roman spear vs spear at Mania.  Not sure where this leaves Bray tho.

Probably

Spoiler

That idea floating around of The Fiend vs John Cena, as Cena is supposed to be at SmackDown tomorrow night.

Granted

Spoiler

They could've got there without having Bray drop the title to Goldberg, but then again I don't see how they would've got to their desired Roman vs Goldberg match at Mania without it...

It really just comes down to

Spoiler

The shouldn't have put the title on Bray when they did so soon after his re-debut. He would've been fine all this time by just tearing through the roster sans title. Could've been something they built up to at Wrestlemania 37... but leave it to WWE to squandered the ever living hell out of their stars getting over organically.

3 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I was watching back then. I might be showing my age a bit, but the DX years of Attitude era was my last years of high school and start of college. I really don’t remember a lot of hype about DX besides what RAW and Smackdown were pushing and a few times on Heat(pre PPV.) The people I talked to about wrestling were either watching WCW or were Rock, Austin, Mankind fans. From what I remember DX was show hype not real world. 

6 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

I was watching back then. I might be showing my age a bit, but the DX years of Attitude era was my last years of high school and start of college. I really don’t remember a lot of hype about DX besides what RAW and Smackdown were pushing and a few times on Heat(pre PPV.) The people I talked to about wrestling were either watching WCW or were Rock, Austin, Mankind fans. From what I remember DX was show hype not real world. 

I was a huge Austin and Foley fan, not big into DX but they were huge.  Also if you're a geek like me and watched ever nitro/raw/wcw ppv/wwf ppv up till 2000, DX was HUGE in the arenas.  Mostly 98/99 though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fox said:

Wouldn’t Cena vs Wyatt just be a rehash of Mania XXX?

I’m thinking Wyatt and Cena in the chamber.  You can’t just have Reigns, Corbin, and a couple mid card guys in that match.

the idea here being Wyatt would redeem himself and get the win over Cena (like he should've done at WM 30)

Cena would've won the Chamber Match, getting his shot at WM (and attempt at his 17th World Title win)

Then they could've built to the (inevitable) Reigns vs Goldberg match some other way.

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X

15 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

I think it was just a revolutionary time for wrestling, I watched every WCW and WWE offering I could back then (was ~16yo).  The action figures and video games were huge too.  The stars you listed, DX, and the WCW ones were all just huge IMO.  Great rivalries, plus Vince and Shane were actually highly enjoyable around that time too.

I was freaking obsessed with Goldberg and wrestling in general.  My cousin and I would turn to the PPV channel unpaid to listen to the snippits of audio that came through with the scrambled feed and I remember that was how I came to realization of Goldberg's first loss lol.

Maybe I was just at that age where it was all the coolest thing ever :).  I still love wrestling, but rarely get excited about anything anymore it all feels rinse/repeat and finishers are no longer finishers.  The attitude era felt more creative and expansive to me...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I was a huge Austin and Foley fan, not big into DX but they were huge.  Also if you're a geek like me and watched ever nitro/raw/wcw ppv/wwf ppv up till 2000, DX was HUGE in the arenas.  Mostly 98/99 though.

Plus people need to remember that DX originally had Shawn Michaels in it before he really dicked up his back.   Even though I can't stand the guy, you can't deny his drawing power.  Plus I think they put the belt on HHH during his DX days?

13 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I'd even go as far to say DX was as over during 1998-99 in the WWF as the NWO was in WCW during 1996-97. 

6 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Plus people need to remember that DX originally had Shawn Michaels in it before he really dicked up his back.   Even though I can't stand the guy, you can't deny his drawing power.  Plus I think they put the belt on HHH during his DX days?

Totally.  Thats really the DX I remember, although the New Age Outlaws came later.  After the Montreal saga, they knew they had to give the belt to Austin and Shawn was the hottest heel that would give the best match.  The issue was that time is where being bad was good so it was a bit strange.  But DX was super over and when they actually became a babyface, its when it really blew up.  Basically right after WM14.

6 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'd even go as far to say DX was as over during 1998-99 in the WWF as the NWO was in WCW during 1996-97. 

Yeah, id say thats very similar.  But DX was over longer because they didn't dilute and fuck up the vibe.  People got tired of DX where with nWo people just said 'shit this is lame'.

8 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I'm curious as to why you don't like Shawn Michaels? Of course, apparently, during his first run he was a real asshole, especially during the original DX run, but that was largely attributed to his ego and substance abuse/addiction issues (which mostly was due to him screwing up his back during that Casket Match with Undertaker). When he came back clean, practically a new man in 2002, he was arguably better then he was before.

And yes, Triple H got his first World Title in the waning days of DX in 1999 (because part of the storyline was his Kayfabe Vegas Wedding to Stephanie McMahon). I want to say August or September.