IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

Im a bit disappointed with Jim because he gave em an inch and they took the mile.  I love him and I love his mind for wrestling and think he did the right thing stepping down because he wants the product to succeed even without him.  I dont think what he said was that awful, but when you're on thin ice like that, you cant give anyone any ammo against you.  Someone mentioned Dutch Mantel to replace and I think that would be a really good fit.  I kinda have mixed opinions with this whole AEW style and more traditional style, but i'll just watch and like what I like and not care for anything else.

25 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Im a bit disappointed with Jim because he gave em an inch and they took the mile.  I love him and I love his mind for wrestling and think he did the right thing stepping down because he wants the product to succeed even without him.  I dont think what he said was that awful, but when you're on thin ice like that, you cant give anyone any ammo against you.  Someone mentioned Dutch Mantel to replace and I think that would be a really good fit.  I kinda have mixed opinions with this whole AEW style and more traditional style, but i'll just watch and like what I like and not care for anything else.

Expecting Cornette to be PG is like asking Howard Stern to host a kids show. The NWA already had to issue an apology for him making a comment about suicide a few weeks back. I honestly didn't think anything of the comment either at the time. When I saw the NWA issue an apology for what one of their talents said on air I honestly thought it was for James Storm cussing in his promo. These shows are taped like a month in advance so they are letting his comments air and then backpedaling as soon as the Twitter outrage starts so it's on the NWA as much as Cornette for not editing this stuff out in advance. When you're a small promotion airing free shows on YouTube, you can't risk offending your audience so it was probably for the best that he stepped down. 

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Expecting Cornette to be PG is like asking Howard Stern to host a kids show. The NWA already had to issue an apology for him making a comment about suicide a few weeks back. I honestly didn't think anything of the comment either at the time. When I saw the NWA issue an apology for what one of their talents said on air I honestly thought it was for James Storm cussing in his promo. These shows are taped like a month in advance so they are letting his comments air and then backpedaling as soon as the Twitter outrage starts so it's on the NWA as much as Cornette for not editing this stuff out in advance. When you're a small promotion airing free shows on YouTube, you can't risk offending your audience so it was probably for the best that he stepped down. 

I listen to him every week and I didn't hear that suicide comment.  There are just people out there that are trying to find any reason to take town people they dont like.  A few weeks before he read a letter he got about someone oversees who's brother committed suicide and how bad he left to hear it. 

1 minute ago, guitarzombie said:

I listen to him every week and I didn't hear that suicide comment.  There are just people out there that are trying to find any reason to take town people they dont like.  A few weeks before he read a letter he got about someone oversees who's brother committed suicide and how bad he left to hear it. 

If you read Cornette on Twitter or listen to his podcast he's just that old guy that's going to say whatever he wants and people either love or hate him for it. I've heard way worse stuff on episodes of Family Guy than anything Cornette said on a NWA show, but I guess there was enough of an uproar that they don't want to lose fans and I can respect that even though I think it's still reactionary when these episodes were taped a month ago and nobody thought it was too offensive before they aired it and the Twitter backlash hit.

7 minutes ago, jonebone said:

I must say, he delivered that racist joke pretty eloquently.  I listened to the clip on a Yahoo news article and it was like he talked faster than my brain could process it.  But yes, you can't say those types of things in this day and age. 

I worked at a nursing home for almost 20 years and you make a good point. I can't count the times I heard people say things that would be considered wildly offensive within a normal conversation and not even realize it at the moment. He's used that same joke before and he just seems to be one of those guys that doesn't seem to realize things that weren't a big deal to say in the 70s and 80s aren't going to go unnoticed in the internet age. 

25 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

If you read Cornette on Twitter or listen to his podcast he's just that old guy that's going to say whatever he wants and people either love or hate him for it. I've heard way worse stuff on episodes of Family Guy than anything Cornette said on a NWA show, but I guess there was enough of an uproar that they don't want to lose fans and I can respect that even though I think it's still reactionary when these episodes were taped a month ago and nobody thought it was too offensive before they aired it and the Twitter backlash hit.

Im not a huge fan of "Uncle Dave" but I think he nailed it pretty well on this.  You can find it on youtube.  

21 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Im not a huge fan of "Uncle Dave" but I think he nailed it pretty well on this.  You can find it on youtube.  

Meltzer is the Captain Obvious of wrestling. No kidding in "his era" nobody would have batted an eye at that line. That's the issue. It was an old/tired joke to begin with and now it's offensive. I doubt Cornette meant anything by it, but yeah you can't say that on a wrestling broadcast now. He has Twitter and his podcasts to say whatever he wants and cater to his audience. I'm sure tomorrow on his podcasts he will be blaming all of the "snowflakes" that were offended instead of just owning up to it.

Did anyone catch the new Intercontinental title belt last night on SmackDown? That was probably the last belt they needed to change when the two world title belts and the women's championships are just WWE logos on a strap. This looks almost as bad as the 24/7 title without the dark green belt.

spacer.png

I've always been surprised when Home Alone plays on TV, they still leave in the part when Kevin jumps out the window on the zipline and the Wet Bandits say, "Where did he go?" "....Maybe he committed suicide!"
I mean I personally think it is a hilarious line, but I'm surprised they still show it as it originally was

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Did anyone catch the new Intercontinental title belt last night on SmackDown? That was probably the last belt they needed to change when the two world title belts and the women's championships are just WWE logos on a strap. This looks almost as bad as the 24/7 title without the dark green belt.

spacer.png

I really like it. That being said, the old IC title is one of my  favourites. Agreed, didnt need a revamp, that's not what the midcard needs. 

Would have preferred this on the tag belts. Even the black leather version of the current titles was miserable. 

Anybody watch NXT Takeover last night? It was on at the same time as the Bearcats game so I just had to check out the results. I doubt I will even watch Survivor Series. I can't see any titles changing hands and the NXT/Raw/Smackdown team matches don't interest me at all. I wish if they were going to keep insisting on these brand splits, they need to quit finding any excuse to still cross the rosters over and just leave NXT alone to be its own program.

I watched most of Takeover, enjoyed it.  Adam Cole took quite a bump there to end it...how can he be 100% for tonight's fight?

Pretty impressed with Riddle, I actually haven't watched much of him since his UFC reality show days.

I think the crosses will continue to push viewers to NXT, I've bit as a new NXT viewer (huge fan of the 2 big crosses).

20 hours ago, Boosted52405 said:

I watched most of Takeover, enjoyed it.  Adam Cole took quite a bump there to end it...how can he be 100% for tonight's fight?

Pretty impressed with Riddle, I actually haven't watched much of him since his UFC reality show days.

I think the crosses will continue to push viewers to NXT, I've bit as a new NXT viewer (huge fan of the 2 big crosses).

I saw clips and it looked like a good show. I only watched a little bit of Survivor Series. I'm just glad it's over so they can stop the "brand invasions" on all three shows and hopefully try concentrating on making Raw and Smackdown watchable.

2 hours ago, DarkTone said:

How has the week in wrestling been?

Rey Mysterio won the US Title on Raw. Supposedly he signed a 3 year deal when he came back that has an 18 month opt out clause coming up, which would explain why they have been pushing him so hard lately. Everything else was pretty standard.

23 minutes ago, DarkTone said:

That's miserable. 

No kidding. I don't collect wrestling memorabilia, but I could have bought the Ultimate Warrior's blue winged eagle WWF title belt for less than that and I mean the real one he actually used, not a replica belt.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

On 12/1/2019 at 8:23 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

No kidding. I don't collect wrestling memorabilia, but I could have bought the Ultimate Warrior's blue winged eagle WWF title belt for less than that and I mean the real one he actually used, not a replica belt.

Woah. That would have been amazing. I have a replica title. 

Wonder how many people bought this nightmare of a belt. 

41 minutes ago, DarkTone said:

Woah. That would have been amazing. I have a replica title. 

Wonder how many people bought this nightmare of a belt. 

Usually the belts were given to the past champions, so I wasn't sure how the guy got it although Warrior was still alive and not on good terms with the WWE. We tossed around some numbers, because it looked like a legit belt compared to the replicas, but I didn't want to drop that much on wrestling memorabilia without an established market. I know when I'm out of my element. I had a guy offer me James Naismith's handwritten notes for the rules of basketball in a trade for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card I had. I was skeptical and I had no idea what some notes on scrap paper would be worth. Later they sold at an auction for over a million dollars and I could have had them for a them 10k baseball card I had 7 of. Hindsight is 20/20. I let a lot of stuff go way too early and bought a lot at the wrong time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

There seems to be a lively debate on Twitter as to who would be on the Mount Rushmore of wrestling. I would have to go Hogan, Flair, Austin and HBK. I really thought about Macho Man and CM Punk, but you only get to pick four. Okay, now it's everyone else's turn!

From a pure contribution to the business standpoint Vince McMahon, hulk Hogan, dusty Rhodes, ric flair.

3 hours ago, SuperJimtendo said:

From a pure contribution to the business standpoint Vince McMahon, hulk Hogan, dusty Rhodes, ric flair.

Vince made wrestling what it was and somehow made it into the mess that it is. I assumed that it was for actual wrestlers. Vince knows how to make money, but his product sucks.

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Vince made wrestling what it was and somehow made it into the mess that it is. I assumed that it was for actual wrestlers. Vince knows how to make money, but his product sucks.

Yeah, maybe its feeling different these days. But how many billionaires pushing products on all of us have ever taken a bump off a cage just to put a smile on our faces? Just sayin.