IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

22 hours ago, SuperJimtendo said:

My buddy asked me who in my opinion was the most popular of all times. He said he had to be Hogan. I think stone cold was more red hot than Hogan was. Hard to say really. Shoot them opinions.

As it was said, the Hulkmania is what made pro-wrestling the mainstream affair it remains even today. I would also make the claim that Austin burned much hotter than Hogan, but I wouldn't say he made a legacy that would match Hogan's.

Now let's get real. It's The Rock.

I would bet $1000 that there are people out there who know who Dwayne Johnson is, but don't actually know him as a wrestler. That much can never be said about the Hulkster.

Organic Hulkamania was 1983-86, if you watch unedited crowd entrances with 'Eye of the Tiger' theme still left in (won't be able to see them on WWE Network) the pandemonium is beyond words. Then you figure it stretched all the way to about 89/90 with hardly any dropoff in excitement. Then you had the Desert Storm matches. So ALMOST a decade of the same character doing the same thing and selling out every place along the way. You can't say that about ANYBODY else. The Rock gimmick only lasted a few years. The Stone Cold gimmick only lasted a few years. Hell both guys were heels by the time they ended their runs. Hogan didn't need a heel run until THIRTEEN years in!!!
And then when Hogan did go heel, you're talking the hottest wrestling angle OF ALL TIME. It made the NEWS. One singular wrestling event covered like a major happening. And it blew up the wrestling industry to heights never before seen. Did he ride the momentum of Hall/Nash, certainly. But would it have worked without him? Hell no.
Then you go to 1999, the pop he received at Nitro when he came back in the Yellow & Red for the 6-man tag, you're now talking 16 years into Hulkamania, I've never seen a crowd so frenzied as I did by the time Hogan got to the ring.
And then obviously 2002, about 20 years in, the biggest WrestleMania of all time probably. Basically the final hurrah for the true prime of professional wrestling.

8 minutes ago, The Count said:

Pour one out for The Chair Swinging Freak La Parka, hero of WCW vs. NWO Revenge.

image.jpeg.83d87304f1e9475e7a6d6593a7d70c90.jpeg

That is not the La Parka that passed away, he is still alive and known as 'L.A. Park'

This is WCW La Parka who is still alive
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Parka

This is the man who died
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Parka_II

Edited by trj22487

2 minutes ago, trj22487 said:

That is not the La Parka that passed away, he is still alive and known as 'L.A. Park'

This is the man who died
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Parka_II

Oh, thank God. I was bummed out today thinking it was the original La Parka! That being said, RIP some other guy.

Edited by The Count

2020 already off to a rough start for Wrestling

On 1/14/2020 at 8:57 PM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

On a side note Anyone else watching NWA? I think it's my show of choice at this point. Low key and short enough for a quick watch. Interesting they brought Scott Steiner in.

✋Present! I really like it's old school presentation and feel, though personally I still prefer the Wednesday Night War between NXT and AEW personally. Only just marginally.

2 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

2020 already off to a rough start for Wrestling

✋Present! I really like it's old school presentation and feel, though personally I still prefer the Wednesday Night War between NXT and AEW personally. Only just marginally.

I havnt watched any WWE beyond some highlight reals and top 10's on YouTube since 2003, when John Cena became the man I was out. AEW can be ok, I just can't really follow what's going on all the time. It is great to hear JR and Tony call the show though. I wish they would get rid of Excalibur, Ive always hated more than 2 announcers.

3 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I havnt watched any WWE beyond some highlight reals and top 10's on YouTube since 2003, when John Cena became the man I was out. AEW can be ok, I just can't really follow what's going on all the time. It is great to hear JR and Tony call the show though. I wish they would get rid of Excalibur, Ive always hated more than 2 announcers.

pretty sure you would like NXT. Where NWA is oldschool NXT is new school, but not completely indy to where it can kinda take one out of story being told.

AEW I'll agree with you on, but that's also part of it's charm imo. It needs more time to grow, and/or more big/recognizable names... problem with that would be drawing bad comparisons to TNA and (let's be real) WCW... however for building new stars it's second to none. Darby Allin, MJF, Joey Janela, all are pretty dang great.

I'm jacked up for Royal Rumble...clearly they will let Brock decimate the first 4-5 guys but then thinking the tides turn, he's eliminated within the first 45mins, bringing a whole new game from there.  Not a lot of purpose of him actually winning...just a ratings pull with all the Brock talk IMO.

2 side notes from last night's Raw...

1 - dayyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmm Liv Morgan, between her, Alexa, and Mandy - straight goddess-level beauty everywhere in WWE (among many others).

2 - dayyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmm that Andrade/Mysterio match was crazy.  Hope RM is okay he took a couple huge blows out there.

16 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

Who's hyped for the Royal Rumble? (It's literally this upcoming Sunday, believe it or not lol)

I've watched it the last few years with friends and will again this year, I really thought the WWE was off to a good start last year......their 2nd PPV of the year entertained me....it all fell apart by WrestleMania which damn near put me to bed.

On 1/22/2020 at 7:59 AM, DarkTone said:

I've been thinking about Eddie Guerrero recently and I have 2 questions. 

1) Why did Eddie and Rey fight at Mania?

2) Why did everyone wear the "I'm your papi" shirt at his remembrance episode?

1: They were tag champs and Eddie needed to prove himself against Rey for w/e reason. This was before (and what actually almost directly led into) the Dominick storyline when Eddie turned heel on Rey.

2: His shirt from the Dominick storyline, which was the last big storyline he had before his death (he was just beginning a storyline with Batista which rumours say he was going to win the World Heavyweight title, when Batista went out with injury)

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X

On 1/22/2020 at 11:03 PM, DarkTone said:

Number 1 is a great answer. 2 I cant follow.

Imagine Snitsky died and the roster came out and kicked fake babies into the crowd. Thats not what I want to remember them for.

it was just his primary piece of merch at the time... and it kinda got over as a bit of a catch phrase? Weird shit happens all the time like that. Heck Tommaso Ciampa gets "Daddy's Home" chants currently lol (granted in context it makes sense, doesn't stop it from being a bit weird lol)