IGNORED

The Ebay/Gamestop/Craiglist/Amazon/Goodwill/etc rant thread

Quest4Nes

On 7/28/2020 at 2:28 PM, Tabonga said:

Mine was pretty good until a few weeks ago.  Then things just went to hell in a handbasket pretty rapidly.  Our post lady did tell me a few months ago they were having a terrible time hiring competent people.

It isn't always the people, the mail volume is so heavy the system can't handle it.

Anyway, ebay decided to add best offers to a bunch of my listings without asking, prompting me to have to spend time taking them all out. If I want to take offers I will add them myself! After I get my current batch of stuff sold I believe I am done selling on ebay

1 hour ago, snes_collector said:

Anyway, ebay decided to add best offers to a bunch of my listings without asking, prompting me to have to spend time taking them all out. If I want to take offers I will add them myself! After I get my current batch of stuff sold I believe I am done selling on ebay

Hold up - they changed your auctions to include BIN *after* the auctions were already live?  That's insane.  Are you sure you didn't just leave a box checked (or unchecked) to enable BIN when you were making the listings?

1 hour ago, snes_collector said:

Ebay routinely defaults your listings to have best offers. It's a known annoyance of using ebay sadly. 

You probably just didn't even notice the box was defaulted and checked when you listed the items. It happens to me all the time, and i've seen it happen to many others. 

I recently listed some stuff after not doing so for quite some time. Printing a label to ship is easier than ever, but the listing process... yikes.

EBay adding the option for offers after listing happened to me also. Listed it BIN with the offers box unchecked. After like two weeks going unsold I got a message about an offer. EBay enabled the option without my choosing it. No bueno.

5 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

So if I understand this correctly, any listing can receive an offer now from a buyer? Good old eBay trying to make a buck any which way.

Unfortunately, yes it seems so. Even if you uncheck the “offers” box, eBay adds it after several days of it not selling. BS

5 minutes ago, LostLevel83 said:

Unfortunately, yes it seems so. Even if you uncheck the “offers” box, eBay adds it after several days of it not selling. BS

I think it works well with users who consistently mark up their items to a point that it will not sell, but it should be up to the seller to "opt in" to such a feature. Forcing a seller to  have that option just seems like a money grab from eBay's end.

Edited by Mega Tank

On 7/31/2020 at 6:15 AM, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I just realized that 78 of my ebay items show up as "Not Specified" under the Platform filter. Yet when I look at them individually, the platform is definitely set. Why.

You need to add more specifics to your listings. Example. Where it says "additional items specifics" fill out more of that. If you don't know the regional code or other answers just put NA. 

Edited by Bonanza125

On 7/30/2020 at 2:08 PM, LostLevel83 said:

I recently listed some stuff after not doing so for quite some time. Printing a label to ship is easier than ever, but the listing process... yikes.

EBay adding the option for offers after listing happened to me also. Listed it BIN with the offers box unchecked. After like two weeks going unsold I got a message about an offer. EBay enabled the option without my choosing it. No bueno.

I talked to somebody about this. Ebay doesn't want items up for sale for months so they push sellers to taking offers. They do the same thing with buyers watching items. As a seller you can now send offers to buyers who are watching your item.

Kind of related to this type of 5 minutes of hate, what do you guys think about sending messages to sellers making an offer (when they didn't give the option) on items they have up for bid?  Is this backdooring? I know it's not in the traditional since BUT if you go to contact the seller, there is an option to ask to make an offer, even when they didn't give the option with the listing.

Trying to beat fellow bidders and scalpers to the bunch by sending a high price value to the seller--right or wrong?

31 minutes ago, RH said:

Kind of related to this type of 5 minutes of hate, what do you guys think about sending messages to sellers making an offer (when they didn't give the option) on items they have up for bid?  Is this backdooring? I know it's not in the traditional since BUT if you go to contact the seller, there is an option to ask to make an offer, even when they didn't give the option with the listing.

Trying to beat fellow bidders and scalpers to the bunch by sending a high price value to the seller--right or wrong?

If there are no bids i have no problem with it. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, RH said:

But what if there are, and explain.

Bids are supposed to be binding, meaning the buyer is prepared to pay that and the seller lets it go for whatever amount. Trying to make a deal while bids are in place is interfering with someone else's agreement. Without any bids this isnt an issue. Also without bids the seller can add a public BIN option, so its still available for anyone to grab.

Ive made an exception for this once, when some ass killed a great BIN price with a 99c bid. I messaged the seller and offered his bin price and he accepted.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lincoln said:

Bids are supposed to be binding, meaning the buyer is prepared to pay that and the seller lets it go for whatever amount. Trying to make a deal while bids are in place is interfering with someone else's agreement. Without any bids this isnt an issue. Also without bids the seller can add a public BIN option, so its still available for anyone to grab.

Ive made an exception for this once, when some ass killed a great BIN price with a 99c bid. I messaged the seller and offered his bin price and he accepted.

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but the thing is (at least from eBay's perspective) if you go to an bid-only auction, go to contact the seller, and then look at the reasons, there's a "Make an Offer" option.  If you follow through that path, you will see it say:

How do I make an offer?
The seller hasn't enabled offers for this item. See if they'll consider — send a message with your best price.

This would seem to imply that house rules allow for this type of engagement. So, is eBay wrong on this and should they not allow it (or suggest it to begin with) or if the house allows for outside communication on working out a deal before the end of the auction, should it be considered fair game?

• Wow! 1

26 minutes ago, RH said:

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but the thing is (at least from eBay's perspective) if you go to an bid-only auction, go to contact the seller, and then look at the reasons, there's a "Make an Offer" option.  If you follow through that path, you will see it say:

This would seem to imply that house rules allow for this type of engagement. So, is eBay wrong on this and should they not allow it (or suggest it to begin with) or if the house allows for outside communication on working out a deal before the end of the auction, should it be considered fair game?

That is new to me, although its been a while since i was doing this. 

Like a lot of things, there is what you are allowed to do, and what you should do. Cutting off someone else's bid still seems like a dirty play, even if ebay lets you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I played an order from Wii Play Games in Las Vegas and they cancelled my order, raised prices on every single item I bought 50-150%, and marked everything pickup only probably so they can double check their prices against Ebay highs before they hand over the game.

If anyone lives in Vegas please stop by and politely tell them Tyler says to suck my fat dick.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Last two eBay purchases have arrived smelling like cigarette smoke and neither of them mentioned it in the description. The first was a batch of manuals I really wanted, but there was no way the smell was coming out. I asked for a return, and the guy said if I'm not happy to open a case, so I did. His response, "Sorry not going to refund you will have to wait to get ebay involved." finally got a return label from eBay this morning and shipped them back out. The other purchase was some Game Boy games that don't have as strong an odor, so I should be able to fix them.

On 8/15/2020 at 3:58 PM, DefaultGen said:

I played an order from Wii Play Games in Las Vegas and they cancelled my order, raised prices on every single item I bought 50-150%, and marked everything pickup only probably so they can double check their prices against Ebay highs before they hand over the game.

If anyone lives in Vegas please stop by and politely tell them Tyler says to suck my fat dick.

I wish ebay would make it easier to block sellers and buyers.  Some people just aren't worth dealing with.

My complaint, though, is about kickstarter.  All my cards have fraud protection and it makes it really hard for me to make purchases that use foreign currency.  It's a real hassle.  I have to call my bank, have them temporarily disable it, complete the purchase, check and confirm, blah, blah, blah.  So I'm just not going to do it anymore.  I'm tired of their outdated site and service anyway.  Goodbye new gameboy game.  Maybe I'll be able to download you from itch.io one day. 

On 8/15/2020 at 8:37 PM, Aguy said:

Last two eBay purchases have arrived smelling like cigarette smoke and neither of them mentioned it in the description. The first was a batch of manuals I really wanted, but there was no way the smell was coming out. I asked for a return, and the guy said if I'm not happy to open a case, so I did. His response, "Sorry not going to refund you will have to wait to get ebay involved." finally got a return label from eBay this morning and shipped them back out. The other purchase was some Game Boy games that don't have as strong an odor, so I should be able to fix them.

Always ask about any ciagarette smells or strong odors from items.

I sometimes get sellers reply, "I don't smell anything but I smoke." PASS. Sometimes it isn't wort the effort or risk.

• Like 1