IGNORED

The Ebay/Gamestop/Craiglist/Amazon/Goodwill/etc rant thread

Quest4Nes

On 3/22/2020 at 9:35 AM, Tabonga said:

I had won something on an open bid and the seller messaged me saying it would be a bit late becasue he needed a special box (I assume a priority mail flat rate one).  I said no problem since I was not in a rush - and that he could send it at a cheaper rate since I was in no hurry.

One week later and nothing apparently had happened.  This morning I got a refund and notice that the seller had cancelled the order (no explanation given).  So I go to ebay and look for another - lo and behold the seller has relisted the item at the same starting price (which is what I won it at since no else bid on it)and the same shipping price.  

WTF?

Edit  - It gets stranger - I reread the cancellation notice and it says the reason was that the buyer cancelled the order.   Which I certainly did not. I wonder if the seller is aware that I can still leave feedback (it is a bit cumbersome but I can still do it.)

Second edit - I  messaged the seller and asked for an explanation for the cancellation (and why I was blamed for it) so I would know  what to leave for feedback.  Hopefully that will get his attention.   

Heh -an update - I won the relisted item again (and again no one else bid on it).  I didn't expect to get it - but I thought I could play with his head since I knew I would get the money back.  I waited, sent a couple of messages and then filed with ebay.   They sided with me (no surprise).   So I got to negative him twice on the same item.  He started out with 8 positives - three other people had similar experiences and also left negative feedback so the seller now has a whopping a 61.5% positive rating.  

I am sure there is a strange story driving this that I will never know.

t

• Haha 3

I had a seller accept my offer and then cancel it. He told me that he had the same offer and wanted to know if either of us would offer more. Ok, whatever. Well, he sells the item and has it still listed in another lot. I recognize that and made an offer. He messages me to tell me that he will make a deal with me if I pay x amount and he will cancel that other sale on someone else.

I gave him negative feedback to let people know that this dude will screw you over if he can get a better deal. eBay removed the feedback. I messaged them and they said I consistently gave positive reviews with low DSRs. I said that wasn’t true as I have on only a handful of occasions given anything less than 5 stars for everything. I think I’ve only given may 4 negative reviews in a decade of nearly 500 transactions and only given maybe an additional 5, max, positive reviews with less than 5 stars for things like dangerously poor packaging on expensive item or not shipping an item in a timely manner. However, they were never low overall DSRs. eBay has failed to respond to my response to them despite it being a week. I’m less annoyed with the scum bag and more with incompetent eBay accusing me of something entirely false.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I sold a GameCube controller as is, for parts, untested. I used all those words. This cunt said the bumper doesn't go all the way down and thus it is a counterfeit controller. 

I accepted the return, and agreed to refund the purchase price and original shipping but denied paying for return shipping, because I listed it correctly. 

After several messages back and for the man child sent me this epic pasta

New message from: st
I told you what it was worth and would have accepted a partial refund for that amount. You replied with sarcasm and have proceeded to try to talk down to and belittle me because I hit the “sign in with google button” instead of remembering my password from the dawn of ebay. If it was for parts, then you listed them fraudulently as genuine. If this is how you want to play this then we’ll take it up with Ebay on the 21st. Alternatively, you could admit your mistake, get it back asap, and sell it sooner to recoup your costs. From a case law prospective, the days of Caveat Emptor died with the conversion away from english common law, and I would be wholeheartedly surprised if ebay’s lawyers rejected years of court president in writing their terms and conditions, given that the original court decision rejecting CE legal philosophy was decided based on the idea that said rejection would be economically beneficial to the markets in which it exists if more people would purchase more freely.

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Wow! 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I sold a GameCube controller as is, for parts, untested. I used all those words. This cunt said the bumper doesn't go all the way down and thus it is a counterfeit controller. 

I accepted the return, and agreed to refund the purchase price and original shipping but denied paying for return shipping, because I listed it correctly. 

After several messages back and for the man child sent me this epic pasta

New message from: st
I told you what it was worth and would have accepted a partial refund for that amount. You replied with sarcasm and have proceeded to try to talk down to and belittle me because I hit the “sign in with google button” instead of remembering my password from the dawn of ebay. If it was for parts, then you listed them fraudulently as genuine. If this is how you want to play this then we’ll take it up with Ebay on the 21st. Alternatively, you could admit your mistake, get it back asap, and sell it sooner to recoup your costs. From a case law prospective, the days of Caveat Emptor died with the conversion away from english common law, and I would be wholeheartedly surprised if ebay’s lawyers rejected years of court president in writing their terms and conditions, given that the original court decision rejecting CE legal philosophy was decided based on the idea that said rejection would be economically beneficial to the markets in which it exists if more people would purchase more freely.

If it was me, the rebuttal 

"How about I Caveat my foot up your ass? Would that be satisfactory terms and conditions to your economic needs?"

and then let it go through ebay and make at least an attempt to plead your case it was listed correctly and he's an idiot 

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

and then let it go through ebay and make at least an attempt to plead your case it was listed correctly and he's an idiot 

Lol I love it!

I literally chatted w an eBay rep and he said convince the buyer to pay return shipping since I listed it correctly. I sent him the screenshot of the conversation and he still sent me this!

His first year of under grad must've been very enlightening 😂

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Lol I love it!

I literally chatted w an eBay rep and he said convince the buyer to pay return shipping since I listed it correctly. I sent him the screenshot of the conversation and he still sent me this!

His first year of under grad must've been very enlightening 😂

That message definitely has the sound of worldy freshman.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Not sure if it's already been mentioned or not, but Amazon is shipping the TG16 mini in bubble mailers.  Just in case anyone was excited to get their shipping notification, prepare to be disappointed when it arrives. 🙄

1 hour ago, TrekMD said:

Yep, they sure are.  I got mine yesterday and I was not happy to see it came in a bubble envelope. Thankfully, the box with the Mini TG-16 was fine. 

Mine also came that way. Thankfully it arrived in good shape.

Amazon Japan mailed my PC Engine and CoreGrafx in a box and they arrived in pristine condition. Believe it or not, I was actually able to RESELL the empty boxes on eBay for like $20 a piece. Boom! Instant 20% discount. I always forget how much collectors love cardboard, which is funny because I'm one of those cardboard-loving weirdos.

The inconsistency of Amazon is driving me crazy right now.  I've now seen the exact same item ordered directly from Amazon delivered in a box, a bubble mailer, and no packaging at all with a shipping label slapped right on the box.  That shit drives me crazy.  And it has nothing to do with whether or not the item will be collectible or worth anything in the future.  This was a $100 item.  It needs to be packed appropriately.

Most recent update from Amazon just a few minutes ago.

Item is Not eligible for replacement as lost/missing until Wednesday, May 27, 2020 5:00 PM (PDT). You can call back after this date and a refund will be refund.

That's helpful. 😐

On 5/15/2020 at 9:17 PM, Hammerfestus said:

Woah woah you’d better watch out or he‘ll send that court president after you.

I get calls periodically from the sheriff's department and the courts,   The former often is getting ready to call the swat team if I don't pay some fine.  And the courts are going to arrest me for evading jury duty - unless of course I pay them off.

I've got a good story I had with a problem seller on Ebay last year. I had bid on and won three separate auctions from the same seller for 4 pack magazine lots of Epic and Heavy Metal magazine. Before I paid the seller I asked if he will do combined shipping on the three lots and was told "Yes not a problem" In each auction he had an estimated shipping charge of $10 along with a "Handling fee" of $8. I get the invoice and the three auctions for 12 magazines were $32 with shipping and handling charges of $39 for a total of $71. Big red flag seeing a $39 shipping and handling charge. The guy only lived 50miles away but being how Canada post is insanely expensive I gave the seller the benefit of the doubt and paid the invoice and waited for my package. Later in the week the package arrives and I see that the actual shipping charges were only $18. I emailed the seller asking why he charged me $21 above the actual shipping charges and if I could get a partial refund. He basically told me tough shit and that I had agreed to his terms when bidding on his auctions and I was out of luck.

I then called Ebay and spoke to a customer service rep. I showed her the three auctions and the invoice he had sent me and that I had paid. She told me that he was allowed to have a handling fee in his auctions but he wasn't allowed to charge the handling fee three times therefore he had to refund me $16 from the $39 shipping and handling charge. My phone conversation with the Ebay rep went like this:

Me: How do I get the $16 refund from him when he already refused any refund?

Ebay rep: Well you tell him that it's against the rules that he charged you the $8 handling for each auction when he agreed to combined shipping. Therefor he has to refund you the $16

Me: That's fine I'll tell him that but as I said he will probably refuse.

Ebay rep: Well then you tell him that you will leave negative feedback on all three auctions. Negative feedback really affects a sellers ability to sell so he won't want that to happen.

Me: Um isn't that a form of extortion? Me threatening him with negative feedback if he doesn't refund my money doesn't seem ethical to me

Ebay rep: No no it's fine. Usually sellers will agree to it to avoid any problems.

So I emailed the seller explaining that I had contacted Ebay to complain about his high Shipping and Handling fees. I explained to him that Ebay said he had to refund me $16 because he wasn't allowed to charge the handling fee three times. I was told by Ebay to leave negative feedback if he didn't comply.  Well he then replies that I'm threatening him and that he's not refunding any money and that he will file a complaint with Ebay against me! So I leave negative feedback on all three auctions with the caption "Overcharges shipping and handling" and I file for a partial refund from Paypal of $16 on the transaction they processed.

A little over a week later I look at his feedback and I see that the negative feedback I had left had been removed.  The transactions I had made we gone from my records. I was pissed so I called up ebay to speak to a rep. I ask why was the sellers negative feedback removed. I was told that it was placed as retaliatory  threat for not getting a partial refund. I explained to the rep that their own Ebay rep TOLD ME to say those things to the seller. Their rep had told me to leave negative feedback if I didn't get a refund of $16. This new rep said that the original rep I spoke to had made a mistake and blah...blah...blah I couldn't do what I did....blah...blah...blah they were a new rep and that a refund would be coming soon.

So another week goes by and I get a refund of $55 from the transaction. Huh? I only asked for $16 and Paypal gives me $55?? I was like this can't be right so i immediately withdrew the $55 to my bank account. No explanation from Ebay or Paypal or nothing. Auction was $71 and I get a $55 refund. I've never heard of this happening to anyone else before. I'm going to assume Ebay admitted to themselves that the original rep I spoke to had made a mistake handling the dispute and they would cover all the costs so that the seller wasn't out any money and I got the magazines for only the cost of shipping.

After 3 months I had read the magazines and the Epic didn't seem as great as when I was a kid. They were just sitting around as a reminder of a shitty transaction. I kept the two Heavy Metal annuals and sold the other 10 magazines locally for $50 😛

10 hours ago, Bighab said:

I've got a good story I had with a problem seller on Ebay last year. I had bid on and won three separate auctions from the same seller for 4 pack magazine lots of Epic and Heavy Metal magazine. Before I paid the seller I asked if he will do combined shipping on the three lots and was told "Yes not a problem" In each auction he had an estimated shipping charge of $10 along with a "Handling fee" of $8. I get the invoice and the three auctions for 12 magazines were $32 with shipping and handling charges of $39 for a total of $71. Big red flag seeing a $39 shipping and handling charge. The guy only lived 50miles away but being how Canada post is insanely expensive I gave the seller the benefit of the doubt and paid the invoice and waited for my package. Later in the week the package arrives and I see that the actual shipping charges were only $18. I emailed the seller asking why he charged me $21 above the actual shipping charges and if I could get a partial refund. He basically told me tough shit and that I had agreed to his terms when bidding on his auctions and I was out of luck.

I ran into something like this a couple of years back when I won an Intellivision computer module + game lot for way less than it realistically should have gone for.  I went ahead and paid the upcharge for 3 day priority shipping, then started after the seller when it didn't show up within that timeframe (can't recall if it actually had tracking or not).  When it finally did arrive, I discovered that instead of everything being shipped via Priority Mail as I'd paid, or even something like First Class if the package had been outside of the bounds of what Priority Mail covered, they'd simply shipped it Media Mail for roughly $3 and pocketed the difference (clearly the entire difference, since the lot was shipped inside of a cut down and massively taped together Kohl's box).  Negotiated with them through eBay, got told that they were a charity and I should be happy to let them have the extra money they didn't spend on shipping as I'd ordered (by upgrading my shipping option), then that their pastor would have to authorize the refund and he wouldn't.  I got eBay on the phone and was told to file a return case but with the notation that eBay told me they were supposed to refund the partial shipping difference since they didn't ship as they were supposed to, so I did.  Instead of a refund, I simply got a return label and demand I return everything when they realized that it had sold for far less than it should have (with huge hints that they wanted it back so they could resell it for much, much more).  So, I got eBay on the horn again, explained what happened on the phone previously with them and I did not want to return the lot, just get the dishonest difference in shipping.  I was told nearly immediately that they were going to refund the whole thing, at which point I talked the rep through it again to explain that they only needed to refund me the difference in shipping charges, as I was happy with my purchase and did get what I paid for, just not at the expedited shipping rate that I'd paid up for (basically didn't want some eBay rep screwing up and them trying to debit me for their error and screw up my account).  In the end, eBay debited the seller the difference, refunded me what I'd asked (something like $20 difference, not a huge amount, but a big difference between $5 ~10 day shipping and $25 ~3 day shipping), and I left a descriptive negative for the seller.  At which point they went nuts and started emailing me for weeks begging me to remove the negative in lieu of getting whatever free product I wanted out of their store, within a certain amount.  Needless to say I skipped out on that offer, as I and others agreed it was most likely them fishing to get ammo against me to have their feedback overturned at the very least, or some sort of debit and strikes against my account at the worst.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bighab said:

A little over a week later I look at his feedback and I see that the negative feedback I had left had been removed.  The transactions I had made we gone from my records. I was pissed so I called up ebay to speak to a rep. I ask why was the sellers negative feedback removed. I was told that it was placed as retaliatory  threat for not getting a partial refund. I explained to the rep that their own Ebay rep TOLD ME to say those things to the seller. Their rep had told me to leave negative feedback if I didn't get a refund of $16. This new rep said that the original rep I spoke to had made a mistake and blah...blah...blah I couldn't do what I did....blah...blah...blah they were a new rep and that a refund would be coming soon.

The seller more than likely called in and appealed the negative feedback and had it removed. Not all Ebay reps give the same advice. One rep tells you to leave negative. The next rep is telling you a refund would be coming. It's typically Ebay practice. Yes the first rep gave you poor advice. It was a retaliatory feedback which Ebay would remove and they did.

So another week goes by and I get a refund of $55 from the transaction. Huh? I only asked for $16 and Paypal gives me $55?? I was like this can't be right so i immediately withdrew the $55 to my bank account. No explanation from Ebay or Paypal or nothing. Auction was $71 and I get a $55 refund. I've never heard of this happening to anyone else before. I'm going to assume Ebay admitted to themselves that the original rep I spoke to had made a mistake handling the dispute and they would cover all the costs so that the seller wasn't out any money and I got the magazines for only the cost of shipping.

This has happened to me multiple times with sellers on Ebay where they would either overcharge on handling or charge it multiple times. What probably happened is you had an appeal case going and somebody on Ebay's staff decided to refund you the $55 as a courteous gesture to keep you as an Ebay customer. 

• Like 1

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I just had the worst experience with this guy ifixretro on instagram. So Castlemania Games just came out with their Virtual Tap video-out mod for the Virtual Boy and they made a post on their instagram recommending this guy to install it. I message him asking about it and he tells me all I need to do is just order the mod, mail it to him with the Virtual Boy and he'll install it. So I dig my Virtual Boy out of storage and test it out and uh oh, it's not working. I can here a click from the speaker when it turns on and off, I can hear the servo motors vibrating inside but there's no image on the screens and no game audio. I message him about it and he says it's no problem for some extra money he can repair that to. Now there's 2 versions of the virtual tap mod listed on the Castlemania store, VGA and NTSC. On the site it explains that VGA displays 800x600 at 60 fps with upscale x2: 768x448 while the NTSC version displays at 240p at 60fps with no upscale and slightly squished horizontally. So naturally I go for the VGA version which sounds better and is the default option to buy anyway. You have to go down a checklist on the store and switch to NTSC if you want that version. He never asks me which version of the mod I bought. So I ship everything off to him, a couple of days go by and I look at my phone and see my instagram inbox blowing up with messages from this guy bitching me out that I got the VGA mod and not the RGB version. He had installed it as an RGB mod and now he had to use the shell from another Virtual Boy for my mod and somehow this is all my fault. I, as a first time customer who's never gotten a console modded before was supposed to be aware that NTSC = RGB and RGB is the standard that everyone uses and these mods aren't labeled and there's no way for him to tell if it was RGB or VGA without me telling him and I was supposed to know this even though he never mentioned anything about it. So he's very rude to me, blaming me for his mistake but we move on, he mails it back to me and I'm like thank God I don't have to deal with this guy any more. I get the Virtual Boy back and test it out and uh oh, it's not working. No image, no game audio, just a click when I turn it on and off and the sound of the servo motors inside. It works exactly like it did when I sent it off to him. He had sent me video of it working before he mailed it off so I just assume it got bumped around in shipping and his fix got undone but I don't want to have to deal with this guy anymore so I message him asking if I can get a refund for the repair. I have no problem paying for the mod work but when I paid a lot extra to get it working and it's not working I don't think it's out of line to ask for a refund. He tells me he thinks the problem is with the power supply through the controller. Now at this point I would expect a professional to offer to fix this new presumed problem or recommend ways for me to fix it myself. Instead he goes on to send me a string of insulting messages telling me that I probably tested it without a cartridge and I need to put a game in for it to work. I explain that I had tested it with multiple cartridges all with the same results and he tells me to ship it back to him, just the console, not the controller or power supply which he had suggested might be the problem.  The last thing I want to do is send it back and have to keep dealing with this guy but when I first sent it off to him he asked me to pay friends and family on paypal and I obliged him because he seemed legit with the Castlemania endorsement and I'm an idiot so I know I have no recourse other than to ship it back to him again an hope he fixes it. So I ship it back and a couple of days go by and he sends me back another string of rude messages telling me it works fine, the problem is my controller, the problem is that I didn't put a cartridge in when I tested it (he actually said this to me, not once but two more times after I already explained I had tried multiple cartridges). He's telling me I have to pay for the return shipping now that he's been featured in kotaku and how dare I suggest that he tried to screw me over (I never said he tried to screw me over, I said that it worked exactly like it did when I sent it to him and that I thought it might have been damaged in the return shipping). So at this point I'm really pissed at this guy and I know I have no recourse and I need to get my stuff back from him but I feel like I have to say something to stick up for myself so I just say "I really don't appreciate your rude attitude" and he starts bitching me out again about how it was my fault that he had to sacrifice one of his Virtual Boy shells because I didn't tell him what version of the mod I got and blah blah blah. So I say forget it, I'll pay the shipping just send me my stuff back and that's my story. My Virtual Boy still doesn't work. I'm out the money for the shipping and the repair work and I'm really not happy and this guy was such a jerk to me. I hate rude people. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NEET.dreams said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I just had the worst experience with this guy ifixretro on instagram. So Castlemania Games just came out with their Virtual Tap video-out mod for the Virtual Boy and they made a post on their instagram recommending this guy to install it. I message him asking about it and he tells me all I need to do is just order the mod, mail it to him with the Virtual Boy and he'll install it. So I dig my Virtual Boy out of storage and test it out and uh oh, it's not working. I can here a click from the speaker when it turns on and off, I can hear the servo motors vibrating inside but there's no image on the screens and no game audio. I message him about it and he says it's no problem for some extra money he can repair that to. Now there's 2 versions of the virtual tap mod listed on the Castlemania store, VGA and NTSC. On the site it explains that VGA displays 800x600 at 60 fps with upscale x2: 768x448 while the NTSC version displays at 240p at 60fps with no upscale and slightly squished horizontally. So naturally I go for the VGA version which sounds better and is the default option to buy anyway. You have to go down a checklist on the store and switch to NTSC if you want that version. He never asks me which version of the mod I bought. So I ship everything off to him, a couple of days go by and I look at my phone and see my instagram inbox blowing up with messages from this guy bitching me out that I got the VGA mod and not the RGB version. He had installed it as an RGB mod and now he had to use the shell from another Virtual Boy for my mod and somehow this is all my fault. I, as a first time customer who's never gotten a console modded before was supposed to be aware that NTSC = RGB and RGB is the standard that everyone uses and these mods aren't labeled and there's no way for him to tell if it was RGB or VGA without me telling him and I was supposed to know this even though he never mentioned anything about it. So he's very rude to me, blaming me for his mistake but we move on, he mails it back to me and I'm like thank God I don't have to deal with this guy any more. I get the Virtual Boy back and test it out and uh oh, it's not working. No image, no game audio, just a click when I turn it on and off and the sound of the servo motors inside. It works exactly like it did when I sent it off to him. He had sent me video of it working before he mailed it off so I just assume it got bumped around in shipping and his fix got undone but I don't want to have to deal with this guy anymore so I message him asking if I can get a refund for the repair. I have no problem paying for the mod work but when I paid a lot extra to get it working and it's not working I don't think it's out of line to ask for a refund. He tells me he thinks the problem is with the power supply through the controller. Now at this point I would expect a professional to offer to fix this new presumed problem or recommend ways for me to fix it myself. Instead he goes on to send me a string of insulting messages telling me that I probably tested it without a cartridge and I need to put a game in for it to work. I explain that I had tested it with multiple cartridges all with the same results and he tells me to ship it back to him, just the console, not the controller or power supply which he had suggested might be the problem.  The last thing I want to do is send it back and have to keep dealing with this guy but when I first sent it off to him he asked me to pay friends and family on paypal and I obliged him because he seemed legit with the Castlemania endorsement and I'm an idiot so I know I have no recourse other than to ship it back to him again an hope he fixes it. So I ship it back and a couple of days go by and he sends me back another string of rude messages telling me it works fine, the problem is my controller, the problem is that I didn't put a cartridge in when I tested it (he actually said this to me, not once but two more times after I already explained I had tried multiple cartridges). He's telling me I have to pay for the return shipping now that he's been featured in kotaku and how dare I suggest that he tried to screw me over (I never said he tried to screw me over, I said that it worked exactly like it did when I sent it to him and that I thought it might have been damaged in the return shipping). So at this point I'm really pissed at this guy and I know I have no recourse and I need to get my stuff back from him but I feel like I have to say something to stick up for myself so I just say "I really don't appreciate your rude attitude" and he starts bitching me out again about how it was my fault that he had to sacrifice one of his Virtual Boy shells because I didn't tell him what version of the mod I got and blah blah blah. So I say forget it, I'll pay the shipping just send me my stuff back and that's my story. My Virtual Boy still doesn't work. I'm out the money for the shipping and the repair work and I'm really not happy and this guy was such a jerk to me. I hate rude people. 

That's a bummer. I recall hearing good things about that modder too.  Hopefully you get can the virtual boy up and running. I had the RGB version of the virtual tap for a couple years and was happy with it.  It will be worth it once it's done.

I am fortunate to have a modder locally.  Being able to discuss the work in person made a big difference.

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

That's a bummer. I recall hearing good things about that modder too.  Hopefully you get can the virtual boy up and running. I had the RGB version of the virtual tap for a couple years and was happy with it.  It will be worth it once it's done.

I am fortunate to have a modder locally.  Being able to discuss the work in person made a big difference.

Yeah, for this sort of work I'm definitely only going to be dealing with people face to face from now on.