IGNORED

The Ebay/Gamestop/Craiglist/Amazon/Goodwill/etc rant thread

Quest4Nes

22 hours ago, acromite53 said:

I've been selling a lot on ebay this past month to save up for a camera. I've never had problems as a buyer or seller until now. Some guy won a 10 day auction that I listed and will not pay. Its been exactly a week and I've send multiple reminders and invoices. He has no negative feedback, but his most recent feedback was positive but stated that he didn't pay. So why was that a positive review?? I filed an unpaid item claim yesterday so I guess he has 4 more days to waste my time. This sucks. Now I have to relist the item and now I have no idea what it will sell for. Probably a lot less since this idiot bid it all the way up. Who does this shit? Someone with a compulsive buying disorder who can't afford the item and has no respect for other people's time? 

Sellers can't leave negative feedback. 

Best course is to start a case against him. He probably won't pay but you won't have to eat fees to cancel.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2020 at 3:42 PM, acromite53 said:

I've been selling a lot on ebay this past month to save up for a camera. I've never had problems as a buyer or seller until now. Some guy won a 10 day auction that I listed and will not pay. Its been exactly a week and I've send multiple reminders and invoices. He has no negative feedback, but his most recent feedback was positive but stated that he didn't pay. So why was that a positive review?? I filed an unpaid item claim yesterday so I guess he has 4 more days to waste my time. This sucks. Now I have to relist the item and now I have no idea what it will sell for. Probably a lot less since this idiot bid it all the way up. Who does this shit? Someone with a compulsive buying disorder who can't afford the item and has no respect for other people's time? 

People do a lot of things on Ebay. You have to accept it as a non paying bidder and relist it. If the guy bid the item up and is not paying for it then you didn't have him as a buyer at all. One option for you is to relist the item whatever it is as a fixed price ad so you can get your money quicker.  It's all part of the business. I have been dealing with my headaches on Ebay for the past few days.

• Thanks 1

I just got my order cancelled on ebay from a seller who said one of the games I ordered was a listing mistake (i.e. they don't have it).

Before canceling she tried to see if I want to keep the order for only one of the games. I told her that only if she can change the shipping from GSP to something more reasonable. The GSP is a mafia-esque scam anyway, and the less you order the less it makes sense to use it. She goes on and writes on how she can't do it because the ebay GSP "protects both of us".

Really, in what way does the GSP protect sellers? (It certainly doesn't protect me). Also, what kind of protection do sellers need for international transactions that they don't need for domestic ones?

It seems like somehow ebay convinced sellers that international buyers are some sort dangerous creatures. I really wish this program dies since we would be much better off even if only 1/4th of those currently offering international shipping using GSP would offer sane shipping services.

Edited by sg17
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been selling on eBay for at least 10 years.   Like many of us I sell to fund my collecting habits.

I had something happen that I have never had happen before. Well at least not to my knowledge.

I sold something defective. It was listed with pictures and described as being defective. The exact day the buyer received the item I saw them list it on Instagram for sale.  People can buy stuff from me to resell and I am fine with that, but I was surprised they thought it was a good enough deal to flip it.

Well a few days later I get a "not as described" case open from the buyer. That means I have to pay return shipping fees and eat the original shipping cost as well. And also not sure if this is still true, but I lose the final value fees as well? 

The reason for returning it is that "it was more defective than they thought".  Which of course is just an excuse to return it for free.  

They essentially failed at flipping it and now I am stuck losing the money.

This still does not put me off selling on eBay as its still the best way, but people like this really stink.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, LaC said:

I have been selling on eBay for at least 10 years.   Like many of us I sell to fund my collecting habits.

I had something happen that I have never had happen before. Well at least not to my knowledge.

I sold something defective. It was listed with pictures and described as being defective. The exact day the buyer received the item I saw them list it on Instagram for sale.  People can buy stuff from me to resell and I am fine with that, but I was surprised they thought it was a good enough deal to flip it.

Well a few days later I get a "not as described" case open from the buyer. That means I have to pay return shipping fees and eat the original shipping cost as well. And also not sure if this is still true, but I lose the final value fees as well? 

The reason for returning it is that "it was more defective than they thought".  Which of course is just an excuse to return it for free.  

They essentially failed at flipping it and now I am stuck losing the money.

This still does not put me off selling on eBay as its still the best way, but people like this really stink.  

Can you not fight that? That seems ridiculous even for ebay standards.

5 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Can you not fight that? That seems ridiculous even for ebay standards.

How? Show them that he was trying to sell it on Instagram?  Hard to prove its him 100%, even though the pics are identical. 😒  At this point I'll be out around $30, and not worth the hassle of sitting on the phone with eBay only to hear there is nothing they can do.

He's a long time seller on eBay and Instagram too.   🤷🏻‍♂️

4 hours ago, LaC said:

How? Show them that he was trying to sell it on Instagram?  Hard to prove its him 100%, even though the pics are identical. 😒  At this point I'll be out around $30, and not worth the hassle of sitting on the phone with eBay only to hear there is nothing they can do.

He's a long time seller on eBay and Instagram too.   🤷🏻‍♂️

I mean you said he opened a "not as described" case. Which you could try to fight because it was exactly as described. It was listed as defective and thats what he got. There are no degrees of defect in their listing system so it's not really a valid reason on his part.

58 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I mean you said he opened a "not as described" case. Which you could try to fight because it was exactly as described. It was listed as defective and thats what he got. There are no degrees of defect in their listing system so it's not really a valid reason on his part.

I don't want to get into details as I don't want to burn the buyer in public.

But, lets say you sold someone an NES and you said the screen was really distorted and needs a new pin connector, and you included a screenshot of the garbled screen.  Well then the buyer opens a return not as described.  They show a picture of a much more garbled screen than yours.  

Well I guess it is worth a try.  You are right.

Yeah I'd call in, fight it, if the overseas weenie gives push back demand a domestic team member/supervisor immediately.  You did nothing wrong in the listing if you're being 100% on this.  You mentioned it was basically broken(defective) marked and sold it as such.  Then they (failed resell aside) decide to return it because it has what you said, defective, is not a valid excuse for a free refund at your entire expense.  Id then give the rep the links point out the person uses the same pictures and tried to resell the defective goods first then came back with this turn to try and get the money back another way.  They won't look kindly on it.  You really should burn the buyer to the public, why are you being nice about it?  They're clearly trying to scam you out of your money and time pushing a return at your expense when they couldn't profit off it.

To the people who are asking why not fight the not as describe case with Ebay it does no good. I have seen it all. Ebay will side with the buyer and force the seller to not only accept the return no matter what.  My advice to anybody selling on Ebay just know to beware that a buyer can still return an item that states "parts only, As-Is, No Return, Sale is Final. They can return it just because they feel like it and there is nothing anybody can do about it. I sold a working phone to somebody on Ebay. They filed a return. I get it back with no battery in it. I then deducted for the missing battery. Ebay then reversed it and gave the buyer the refund in full. It was a scam to get a free battery. Things happen so be prepared.  

LAC that story you wrote about the NES is the exact reason why I don't sell NES systems on Ebay. They have a high return rate from people who either fail to read the ad or expect a glitch free system.  

15 hours ago, avatar! said:

So, I recently saw an ebay seller with this rating

673012529_Screenshotfrom2020-10-2622-22-24.png.ea45d0433e607a78ea687d409bf0e238.png

So... yeah, no rating! How is that possible? I thought all sellers were supposed to have a rating 😕

I've seen that before with some big companies/stores like Best Buy too is like that. They do have a rating/feedback system, just doesn't show there for some reason. Has to be something with having an eBay store or something.

In other words, is there a way to turn off the offer system being added by eBay randomly? Like just now they decided to add "make an offer" to 7 of my listings today and 10 of them a few days ago and now I have to go back to each one and turn it off. Just gonna leave it like that if it will just happen again and out of my control.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 10:36 PM, sg17 said:

Really, in what way does the GSP protect sellers? (It certainly doesn't protect me). Also, what kind of protection do sellers need for international transactions that they don't need for domestic ones?

If a package gets lost after ebay receives it, the seller is not held accountable, and ebay reimburses the buyer instead.

On 11/8/2020 at 9:49 AM, PineappleLawnchair said:

If a package gets lost after ebay receives it, the seller is not held accountable, and ebay reimburses the buyer instead.

And again I'm wondering, how is this different from domestic transactions? Is there more chance for a package to get lost in international delivery?

To me it seems more like the psychological effect of "not being in control of the situation" for the seller. But I have no experience selling and shipping stuff internationally so really I might be wrong.

BTW recently I've tried contacting sellers an asking them if they can ship using "ebay standard internationally delivery" which is a cheaper alternative that covers up to $100 and costs 3 times less. Also by ebay, as the name implies. I did my best to write messages that are on the sweet spot between being short and having the relevant details, and I've included links to the ebay page for the program. One time it worked but other times I get back messages like "Sorry I only ship through ebay" or "no international shipping" (and they use the GSP for intl shipping). I wouldn't care to get back a response saying something like "sorry, I don't want to waste my time to look into it" or even no response at all. But instead their response implies that either they didn't read my message, or they think I'm trying to scam them or something.

So looks like someone paid with an eCheck. I think this is the first time I've got one in over 300+ sales. It's been 3 days and still hasn't clear so was wondering how long does it usually take to clear so I can ship the item. The buyer is new and told me to ship it and I'll get the payment, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on not knowing.

Like a real check it can take up to like 7 or 10 days to clear.  I tend to get some weenie who does that every year, it's aggravating.  All you can do is put it (item) to the side and wait, because even if they start to bitch, you're in your rights because until it is clear, it's open for them to cancel and check fraud you if you stupidly shipped it already.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2020 at 11:15 PM, Skorp said:

So looks like someone paid with an eCheck. I think this is the first time I've got one in over 300+ sales. It's been 3 days and still hasn't clear so was wondering how long does it usually take to clear so I can ship the item. The buyer is new and told me to ship it and I'll get the payment, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on not knowing.

It usually takes 3 to 5 days to clear. You will get a notice once it clears or doesn't clear. Let the buyer know the payment must clear before shipment. If they are in a rush and need the item let them know that because they are new all transaction they make right now will be subject to a payment clearance. 

• Like 1

I pay online all the time with my paypal, and once in a blue moon it will do a echeck instead of instant payment. I have no idea why, paypal couldnt tell me anything. Just like once a year a payment will have to clear. Ive had same paypal account for more than 5 years, plenty of large transactions both ways, it just seems to randomly audit it lol.

2 hours ago, Gutling said:

I pay online all the time with my paypal, and once in a blue moon it will do a echeck instead of instant payment. I have no idea why, paypal couldnt tell me anything. Just like once a year a payment will have to clear. Ive had same paypal account for more than 5 years, plenty of large transactions both ways, it just seems to randomly audit it lol.

When this echeck situation happens do you have funds in your Paypal account or do you have to withdrawl it from your bank account? If you have to withdraw it from your bank account that could trigger an echeck.

20 minutes ago, Bonanza125 said:

When this echeck situation happens do you have funds in your Paypal account or do you have to withdrawl it from your bank account? If you have to withdraw it from your bank account that could trigger an echeck.

Yeah its always  been withdrawal from bank account, I never keep funds in actual paypal account. Its just weird that I will have 200ish transactions, then randomly one day one do it lol. Not even a high amount sometimes, like 30 bucks was last one. 

So this is the final story to my attempts to build a graded Star Wars action figure collection. Which was not going to be big since I wanted to get back into collecting Dragon Quest related merchandise again.

Between early October to some point last week I ended up ordering three figures from three eBay sellers. The first one was a 2011 (I think) figure on a grading worthy European cardback. The second was a more recent figure on a "case fresh" European cardback, with the third just being one I felt would compliment the second one.

Lets just say that they are irrelevant at this point.

The first seller used eBay's GSP which means that Pitney Bowes would be involved. This was fine until the tracking stopped at Bloomington, California. At this point on, the relevant need for them to fix their piece of shit service was obvious. In the end it took me a few days and two (out of three) competent CSRs to find out that package was lost.

The second used Royal Mail. Which is funny because it cost less and offered a faster service. However... That arrived some time after my spat with a third seller. And what arrived was a partially smashed box, with the contents not looking 'case fresh'. Lets just say that the bubble was heavily scuffed and the cardback did not look any better.

The last used eBay's GSP with a signature service added. I politely requested that my order be cancelled since he did not ship it off yet. If he said that it would be shipped that day, I would have understand. But instead he talked about how he already paid for the shipping, why it was delayed, and capped it off by making a few condescending comments.

In this case he claimed that I was "contractually obligated" to keep my order, and claimed I was "confused" because I was an "eBay newbie". The shipping part alone was enough for me to concede on the request, the other was not. In the end I asked that it be returned because I disagreed with this attitude. And he rejected my request.

After that I got a message from the first seller about the lost package. Before Pitney Bowes emailed me, as I had concluded that it was lost. They ended up commending me on my professional behavior and granted me a refund. With the upside being the compliment. The bad being that the refund was a few dollars short of what I spent.

In the end I am sticking with what I have collected before this happened. 😩

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah, I'm just here waiting still to clear. No way will I ship it for such a high amount. After I told the buyer and showed a picture of eBay saying not to ship the item until payment is cleared he has stopped responding for good. I have a bad feeling it might have been an attempted scam. It's still pending so guess I'll just wait until it clear or doesn't clear.

So he said that he has no credit card or Paypal and only a bank account, so that would be the reason an eCheck would be made according to eBay articles I was reading.

17 minutes ago, Skorp said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah, I'm just here waiting still to clear. No way will I ship it for such a high amount. After I told the buyer and showed a picture of eBay saying not to ship the item until payment is cleared he has stopped responding for good. I have a bad feeling it might have been an attempted scam. It's still pending so guess I'll just wait until it clear or doesn't clear.

So he said that he has no credit card or Paypal and only a bank account, so that would be the reason an eCheck would be made according to eBay articles I was reading.

I didn't think Paypal/ebay released the shipping address to you until the eCheck cleared anyway?