IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Mario Bros

BeaIank

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

You might want to listen to some music or something while you play. It seriously helps pass the time.

Agreed. Start here. This is what's in my head.

WARNING: prolonged exposure to Nyan cat may cause you to turn NES controllers, toasters, and coffee mugs into deadly weapons. Proceed with caution! Use proper safety measures when handling. Do not feed after midnight. 

Edited by ninjistar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wow, this game is much easier than I though. Played a couple of games yesterday and only got to phase 10 or so. But I got to 29 pretty quickly when I tried again today.

I absolutely found a spot where nothing can hit you but you can jump to hit the icicle. It's not the fastest but I don't trust myself to do it any other way. Plus I don't really have to pay much attention. I've been typing this while playing and occasionally looking up to see if the icicle is coming. 

I'm at 400k now so I still have quite a bit to go. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Wow, this game is much easier than I though. Played a couple of games yesterday and only got to phase 10 or so. But I got to 29 pretty quickly when I tried again today.

I absolutely found a spot where nothing can hit you but you can jump to hit the icicle. It's not the fastest but I don't trust myself to do it any other way. Plus I don't really have to pay much attention. I've been typing this while playing and occasionally looking up to see if the icicle is coming. 

Yeah, once you get the control down, it's too easy.  If you're referring to the spot I think you are, yeah, that works.  But, you can't get the green fireballs, and I don't believe you'd be able to get the red fireball either.  It's more "fun" to stand on the pow block.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

This is what I absolutely love about the contests. You get the chance to deep-dive into titles from the NES library in a way that you may never have done before. I've been able to collect and curate a large library of NES games. I am obsessed with playing them all in some fashion, in order to learn more. I'd never spent more than 30 minutes on Mario Bros total before 2 weeks ago. I'd played it in the mini game within other Mario games. These passed two weeks I've learned so much about it. It's what keeps me coming back for more!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bertsampson said:

Yeah, once you get the control down, it's too easy.  If you're referring to the spot I think you are, yeah, that works.  But, you can't get the green fireballs, and I don't believe you'd be able to get the red fireball either.  It's more "fun" to stand on the pow block.

Okay, there must be another spot then. Standing on the POW block is what I was doing.

5 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I may give it another try today or tomorrow. I don't know if it would be easier to try and do it all in one marathon attempt or stick with taking a break every hour or so to keep it from feeling to tedious.

9 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Damn, this post made me feel so much better about my struggle to get anywhere. I kept dying on phase 11 first few nights I gave it a shot and was pumped to get to 15. Between this post and everyone else talking about magic places to stand, I guess the issue is I'm just playing the game rather than finding a safe spot. Can't say I'm really interested in finding that and racking points for hours, but at least I realize its more an issue of my approach and not necessarily that I'm just that much worse than everyone in general. 

4 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

17fc89da63b8a1e2cee12b5574ec0b58.jpg

I've still got my game paused on 650k. When I actually roll the score myself (hopefully later today), I'll throw my idea out there. Without giving it away, I'm thinking of a way to make it worth the trouble for anyone that is able to put in the time to roll the score this week.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

4 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It looks like the quickest way to do this is to camp out on Phase 9 where the icicles first appear, get the score up to around 800k and then just play to Phase 30. I guess I'll see how it goes.

That's where I started farming points.  I thought it might be faster on later levels as maybe the icicles spawn more often, but it didn't seem like that was the case.

2 minutes ago, bertsampson said:

That's where I started farming points.  I thought it might be faster on later levels as maybe the icicles spawn more often, but it didn't seem like that was the case.

I noticed if you let them freeze the bottom two platforms, they seem to stop trying to freeze the middle one which will keep them from reappearing. I messed up my run yesterday by trying to press too late.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I noticed if you let them freeze the bottom two platforms, they seem to stop trying to freeze the middle one which will keep them from reappearing. I messed up my run yesterday by trying to press to late.

They only freeze the middle platform if there's an enemy or coin to bump against and make them go the other way.  Not too common if you get the phase down to one enemy before farming.

Just now, bertsampson said:

They only freeze the middle platform if there's an enemy or coin to bump against and make them go the other way.  Not too common if you get the phase down to one enemy before farming.

Yeah, that's where I'm sitting at with my paused run. I managed to knock out the first 650k in one sitting, so I just need to close it out. Even though it doesn't officially count, I can beat the score from your Phase 29 rollover unless you want to roll the score on Phase 1 again and then play out the full run just to torture me.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Yeah, that's where I'm sitting at with my paused run. I managed to knock out the first 650k in one sitting, so I just need to close it out. Even though it doesn't officially count, I can beat the score from your Phase 29 rollover unless you want to roll the score on Phase 1 again and then play out the full run just to torture me.

Yes, you can beat my score.  Like my Phase 1 max score, you just need to get the right points to max at 999,990.