IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

Spirit Tracks’s overworld is terrible, the music minigame is terrible and really shouldn’t have come back at the end, and the microphone controls in general simply do not work properly in a sufficiently loud environment and Nintendo should be embarrassed they made a portable game that at several points is basically not playable while on the bus.

It’s otherwise a sorta good game and probably an improvement on Phantom Hourglass. “fun” seems fair.

• Angry 2

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, MagusSmurf said:

Spirit Tracks’s overworld is terrible, the music minigame is terrible and really shouldn’t have come back at the end, and the microphone controls in general simply do not work properly in a sufficiently loud environment and Nintendo should be embarrassed they made a portable game that at several points is basically not playable while on the bus.

It’s otherwise a sorta good game and probably an improvement on Phantom Hourglass. “fun” seems fair.

Oh, yeah, don't get me wrong, it's like the 20th best Zelda game I've played through 😅

But that's still good company to keep.  Give it a tiny print run and take out the Zelda license and you'd have a $500 hidden gem that people rave about.

All Zeldas should have a four phase final boss fight(s).

Events Team · Posted
19 minutes ago, MagusSmurf said:

I'll give you that the music minigame can definitely be frustrating, although I'd have to completely disagree on the overworld being terrible. Honestly I don't think any of the Zelda games have outright bad overworlds, at least not any that I can think of.

Since Tomb Raider was mentioned positively: Tomb Raider is a terrible game with awful controls, poor graphics, nearly nonexistent sound, adding up to a lame and boring time. I can only assume people liked it because they were teenage boys and she has big boobs 🙂 1/10

Edited by elprincipe

51 minutes ago, elprincipe said:

Since Tomb Raider was mentioned positively: Tomb Raider is a terrible game with awful controls, poor graphics, nearly nonexistent sound, adding up to a lame and boring time. I can only assume people liked it because they were teenage boys and she has big boobs 🙂 1/10

This comment is definitely in the right thread. 

tenor.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Editorials Team · Posted

Yeah dude, I had fun with Spirit Tracks, more so than with Phantom Hourglass. That same dungeon over and over seems like an ok idea on paper, where you have to earn more and more time to get deeper and deeper, and you have to learn how to do it quickly, and you can get items that let you do shortcuts, etc. It really made for tense situations when you got really deep down there, because that meant your time was short. But I just got sick of it. Spirit Tracks, for some reason, really didn't bother me much. Other than the watered-down aspects common to both DS games, like no heart pieces etc.

I'm pretty sure I made this exact comment earlier in this thread. Maybe it was on NA.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

The Gamecube controller is GARBAGE. Worse than the N64 controller, maybe worse than the Wii controller but thats up in the air.

Definitely an unpopular opinion, but for what it's worth, I agree with it 100%. 

I personally rank it as Nintendo's worst primary controller.  

• Like 2

On 7/12/2021 at 2:08 PM, TDIRunner said:

Unfortunately, games like Tomb Raider really don't look that great today.  However, Tomb Raider's gameplay, level design, and sound make up for any downsides in the visuals.  

Once I realized Tomb Raider was a tank sim, it was a lot easier to get through. I played it last summer and actually thought it was playable but again, tank sim.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Definitely an unpopular opinion, but for what it's worth, I agree with it 100%. 

I personally rank it as Nintendo's worst primary controller.  

I've been saying this since 2002. Its why I had a Xbox and PS2 and not a GCN. I just couldn't get over the controller. Luckily my two best friends had one so I got plenty of play on first party titles. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 3:36 PM, Strange said:

Wait, why are we talking shit about the Mega Drive/Genesis in a unpopular opinion thread? It’s all Nintendo-centric dudes ever do is be mad that Genesis exists 😉

Don't you mean that it's all sega fans ever do is be mad that SNES exists AND won the 16bit console wars?  😛

On 7/12/2021 at 2:00 PM, cj_robot said:

My unpopular opinion: PS1 graphics have aged just fine.

Yeah, the bad games are still gonna look bad, but IMHO the good games still look good. There's a bunch of mid-to-late era games that I simply enjoy just looking at, like Ace Combat 3, Tekken 3, Ridge Racer 4, Omega Boost, Wipeout 3, Colony Wars games, etc.

I never understood how people can go so gaga over old, low-res 2D sprites, but have such a huge problem with old, low-res 3D polygons. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not to mention all the awesome looking 2D games that are on PS1.

Out of the three, PS1, Saturn, and N64, I think the PS1 has aged the best as far as graphics goes.

44 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Once I realized Tomb Raider was a tank sim, it was a lot easier to get through. I played it last summer and actually thought it was playable but again, tank sim.

I can understand that the controls might be difficult for someone who didn't play it back when it first came out, but for someone who has been playing it since launch, I can say that the controls are extremely tight and precise.  Something that can't be said about Tomb Raider Legend and Anniversary (two games I also love, but hate the sloppy controls).  

It's sort of like Mario 64.  People who have been playing it since it first came out probably feel that the controls are natural (while still admitting that the might be dated), but for someone like me, it's very difficult to pickup the game for the first time today and not have a lot of difficulty controlling Mario effectively.  If I played it enough I would probably get used to it, but honestly, I'm not sure that I want to bother.  

• Like 1

Except Prince of Persia plays smooth and exceptionally well, Tomb Raider that's more like Tanks of Persia.  Great idea, great story, great character, garbage controls and camera right in the toilet of early Capcom 3D stuff that used it too, just not good.

13 hours ago, Sumez said:

The original Tomb Raider is basically Prince of Persia in 3D.

☝️This right here.

I'm not sure why more people don't see this. Like Prince of Persia, Another World, Flashback, and games of that like, Tomb Raider is not meant to be controlled like a platformer or run'n'gun. You're meant to go slow, carefully position yourself and make precise movements to avoid traps, make jumps, etc. Yes, the combat can be a bit awkward, bit that's not even a major part of the game, tbh.

I do think the graphics can be a little rough on the eyes, which is what me earlier post about the PS1 era games was really talking about, but I don't see them as aging poorly. I see them exactly the same today as I did back then: pretty nice considering the very obvious technical limitations.

• Love 1

Tomb Raider's tank controls might be tedious and sometimes slow, but they are EXTREMELY tight and accurate.  Assuming you've completed the tutorial, you should know how to control the character.  If you ever die from falling or missing a jump, it will be your fault.  Not the fault of the controls.  

On the flip side, the controls in Tomb Raider Legend and Anniversary are much more fluid and give you much more freedom with the camera.  The unfortunate side effect is that you can often die because you pushed the analog stick in one direction, but the character moves in a different direction.  The vast majority of in game deaths will be caused by the controls or camera.  If I didn't know any better, I would assume that Nintendo programed the camera 😛  

TLDR:

• Tomb Raider tank controls are slow and tedious, but they accurate and always do what you ask.
  • Tomb Raider Legend and Anniversary controls are faster, but also sloppy and the cause of 99% of the character deaths.  

Pick your poison.  

• Like 1

Oh, here's an unpopular opinion.  I'm not really into grading but I do observe it and comment enough from the fringes.  It's just an aspect of the hobby I'd like to get into, but the cost and investment it to much for me to spend into, generally speaking.

That said, my hot opinion is this-- a gem mint CIB that is graded looks better than a gem mint, graded sealed game.

I mean, yes, I 100% agree that the sealed game is more valuable.   However, shrink wrap isn't really pretty and is distracting.  If you are getting a game graded to have in entombed and to be a part of your personal museum for your viewing pleasure, then go for a CIB in exceptional shape.

Edited by RH

16 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I have several sealed games that I'm considering opening simply because the seal is so ugly, despite being original and mint.  

Well, if you can find those same games in excellent shape, but CIB, sell them sealed and use the funds to get the CIB copies.  Don't leave cash on the table that you can use to further subsidize this hobby.  Of course, if those games are impossible to find in excellent shape, or they are dirt cheap, then just ignore my comment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RH said:

Well, if you can find those same games in excellent shape, but CIB, sell them sealed and use the funds to get the CIB copies.  Don't leave cash on the table that you can use to further subsidize this hobby.  Of course, if those games are impossible to find in excellent shape, or they are dirt cheap, then just ignore my comment.

The games I'm talking about are basically brand new games.  One example is Shantae for Game Boy that LRG just published.  The seal on it is pretty ugly.  Buying an open one right now isn't really going to save me any money.  The thing is, I know I will never play the actual cart because I can just play the ROM on my Everdrive. 

I don't know.  I'll probably just leave it sealed.  But I want to open it.  

• Like 1