IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

4 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Has anyone mentioned how stupid they think the term 'e-sport' is? Sure the people have talent, though they are not athletes >_>. E-competition!

Can you imagine if EA gets exclusive sponsorship rights and renames them EA-Sports?

4 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Has anyone mentioned how stupid they think the term 'e-sport' is? Sure the people have talent, though they are not athletes >_>. E-competition!

As much as I was against the concept when it first entered the pop culture lexicon far too many years ago now (with "pro" Quake players, IIRC), these days I think it's a wholly accurate description.  The dictionary definition of "sport" is "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."  While there isn't as much physical exertion going on using a keyboard and mouse or controller as there is for folks playing baseball, football, etc., folks in e-sports aren't immobile and/or paralyzed, either, so I think the term applies, whether everyone is comfortable with that or not.  E-Sports is just a way to differentiate the idea and make sure people don't get confused as to what they're going to be watching.

No, E-Sports folks aren't athletes in the traditional sense, but seeing as the dictionary definition is "a person who is proficient in sports," and we've previously established that E-Sports technically fall under the definition of the word "sport," they eke their way in, even if it's technicality.  I don't know that I've ever heard anyone use the term "athlete" to describe these folks, but it's absolutely doing them a serious disservice to not consider or appreciate the amount of dedication it takes to achieve and hone the level of skill they display in their given area, the same way one would appreciate a gymnast, a high level runner, etc.

No, working a keyboard and mouse isn't just like running the 100 meter dash, but I'm willing to bet that regular athletes and e-athletes can't just switch places and display the same level of prowess in one another's area of excellence, nor any armchair judges come anywhere near in either arena.

• Disagree 1

I don't know if this is really an unpopular opinion since I tend to get a mix of agreements and disagreements, but I feel Kirby is a series with no identity or purpose since Kirby 64 acted as a series finale.

There have certainly been fun Kirby games since Kirby 64, but with no main villain connecting the games together even slightly, and no game specific characters from older games ever showing up again outside of cameos, every Kirby game feels like a really isolated and meaningless experience.

Ever since the Dark Matter arc, Kirby hasn't really had what people could consider a "main series", as nothing has ever taken its place to be what the series is about. While games like Kirby and the Amazing Mirror and Planet Robobot are considered part of the main series, what exactly makes them a part of it is hard to determine.

Longtime Kirby fans have been critical of the series since Squeak Squad set the template for the four Return to Dream Land games, but there's still a good amount of arguing from people who don't see what's wrong.

The fact that it took until Kirby Star Allies to bring back most (but not all) of the features introduced in Kirby Super Star is telling of how much Kirby is staggering itself to "innovate" back to what it was 25 years ago.

Edited by AmandaCathedral

58 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Pro esports players practice hours a day. It’s certainly physically demanding at the top level. Players get arm and wrist injuries all the time. Careers are short too because of physical limitations once you’re an old man in your 30s.

You can say that regarding any computer-related position. Pro tax accountants prolly get carpo tunnel all the time. Do you honestly think most 'e-athletes' could run 1km without any problem?

.. admittedly I wasn't sure whether you were using sarcasm haha

14 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

You can say that regarding any computer-related position. Pro tax accountants prolly get carpo tunnel all the time. Do you honestly think most 'e-athletes' could run 1km without any problem?

.. admittedly I wasn't sure whether you were using sarcasm haha

Do you really think that most regular-ass-athletes could speedrun something like SMB or Goldeneye properly?  Stand a chance in a world championship match for DOTA, Halo, etc.?  It goes both ways.  Each group have skills that are physically and mentally demanding, just in different ways and different arenas.  At this point, I think the world is just waiting on the modern equivalent of Bo Jackson who does top level traditional sports during one part of the year and brings in the big money and trophy with their team at The International (DOTA championship tournament) during another.

1 hour ago, Nintegageo said:

@darkchylde28 my point is that I don't consider them athletes with any athleticism. I am not saying what they do isn't crazy, just that m against the term e-sport.

Aren't sports games though? I don't think e-sports players ever claimed they're athletes, but they are playing a game at tournament levels.

Edited by AmandaCathedral
  • Like 1

Tank controls and bump combat are great things. Perhaps they require a refined gaming palette to fully appreciate.

Also, from a few posts up: Yeah, Tomb Raider is exactly an adaptation of 'cinematic platformers' (Prince of Persia, Out of this World, ... Lester the Unlikely?) into 3D. There's nothing opinion about it. And then Prince of Persia tried to copy Tomb Raider with that PoP 3D / Arabian Nights game that nobody liked.

Edited by John198X
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure how unpopular this is, exactly, but the "consensus" best SNES games you'd typically find topping publications' games for a console lists and such tend to be fairly easy. To the point if you just went by those you'd probably conclude the 16-bit era was the easiest in gaming history. It's a little weird that those talking about how much tougher games were back in the day are often in effect hyping up the alleged difficulty of games like, uh, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, Chrono Trigger, Turtles in Time, and Super Castlevania IV?

Edited by MagusSmurf

3 hours ago, MagusSmurf said:

Not sure how unpopular this is, exactly, but the "consensus" best SNES games you'd typically find topping publications' games for a console lists and such tend to be fairly easy. To the point if you just went by those you'd probably conclude the 16-bit era was the easiest in gaming history. 

I completely agree with this half.

3 hours ago, MagusSmurf said:

It's a little weird that those talking about how much tougher games were back in the day are often in effect hyping up the alleged difficulty of games like, uh, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, Chrono Trigger, Turtles in Time, and Super Castlevania IV?

I completely disagree with this half.  Mainly because I've never heard a single person refer to any of those games as difficult.  When people talk about how tough games were "back in the day," they are almost exclusively referring to the NES era.  Reading your post makes me think that, for a second, you might have forgotten about that generation of gaming.  

Edited by TDIRunner

13 hours ago, MagusSmurf said:

Turtles in Time, and Super Castlevania IV

Wth? Turtles in Time and Super Castlevania IV are both really challenging. Definitely on the level of most of the more notorious examples on NES. Getting a 1CC in Castlevania 3 took me like a day of practice to 1CC. CV4's plethora of instadeaths and the stupid RNG bridge just made me give up on that.

Edited by Sumez

I think Final Fanasty is a bit overrated. I acknowledge the significance of the series and its impact, but I never played them when they first came out, so once final Fanasty 7 came out I looked at it and thought ugghh.

One day far after that, I tried playing Final Fanasty thinking "why not?". I put it down after the princess gets kidnapped, again. I really want to like the games, but I just haven't yet. Maybe I'll give it a try again after my move.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, hardstyletoaster said:

I think Final Fanasty is a bit overrated. I acknowledge the significance of the series and its impact, but I never played them when they first came out, so once final Fanasty 7 came out I looked at it and thought ugghh.

One day far after that, I tried playing Final Fanasty thinking "why not?". I put it down after the princess gets kidnapped, again. I really want to like the games, but I just haven't yet. Maybe I'll give it a try again after my move.

Ehh you're not wrong. The problem is you had this sense of global consistency for years with 1, 4 and 6 (1-3 US) and in Japan with all 6.  It went into the weeds trying to do so much weird new and not always smart stuff, only once really returning to what made the game a household name with fans for years with 9.  So many weirder competing and changing mechanics, look changes, focus changes, etc...the game turned into a very large miss or decent hit release more alienating the longer lasting fans.  It's probably why even now they often just keep remastering, repixelizing (the recent stuff this year) and rehashing the old games, in particular the first 6 but really the first 9 of them...even the shitty #8.  The franchise just went too into the weeds.  It would have served them very well to have stayed within a certain scope that created a recognition and love of the franchise.  Enix was smart enough with this and Dragon Quest is rocking large still, even post-merger it still stands well because they didn't screw with it getting cute about it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John198X said:

The difficulty of reaching the ending of a game with infinite continues vs the difficulty of a self-imposed challenge of 1CC aren't really the same thing, yeah?

Of course, but how could you possibly rate the difficulty of a game with infinite continues, or some other measurable limitation? You could rate the difficulty of each individual section sure, but the entire game would have no perceived difficulty at all because you can just keep trying.

Edited by Sumez
  • Disagree 1

22 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Of course, but how could you possibly rate the difficulty of a game with infinite continues, or some other measurable limitation? You could rate the difficulty of each individual section sure, but the entire game would have no perceived difficulty at all because you can just keep trying.

Dude I think you are forgetting which forum you are posting on.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Well hold on, that's obviously not true. You could have two games with infinite continues and one you just press A to win, the other you have to beat 999 levels of bullet hell instant death chaos. Obviously the former would be way easier than the latter, wouldn't it?

From that point, just rate the difficulty on a scale in between, regardless of continues.

41 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Well hold on, that's obviously not true. You could have two games with infinite continues and one you just press A to win, the other you have to beat 999 levels of bullet hell instant death chaos. Obviously the former would be way easier than the latter, wouldn't it?

If you're using infinite continues, beating "999 levels of bullet hell instant death chaos" is exactly just pressing A, though? I'm pretty sure there are videos out there of people doing exactly that, and more than a few games that got shitty reviews on account of reviewers having no idea how to approach those games.

• Agree 1

Just now, Sumez said:

If you're using infinite continues, beating "999 levels of bullet hell instant death chaos" is exactly just pressing A, though? I'm pretty sure there are videos out there of people doing exactly that, and more than a few games that got shitty reviews on account of reviewers having no idea how to approach those games.

Let's say I give you a million dollars, if you beat one game. You can choose between the 999 level bullet hell, or the game where you press A once. Which do you choose?