IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

On 4/25/2020 at 8:27 PM, Estil said:

1. Pac-Man on the Atari 2600 is actually an okay game - I mean you do basically the same thing you'd do in a Pac-Man game right?  Eat all the (in this case dashes), avoid the monsters/ghosts, eat energizers (no not the batteries) so you can eat the ghosts/monsters for bonus points and get as high a score as you can.  The main reason this game gets so much grief is that it's "not like the arcade"...well the first time I tried this an a Atari 2600 in general (1993) I was not at all expecting it to be like the arcade!  I mean if the NES version couldn't quite get the look/feel right (the Tengen Ms Pac Man OTOH most definitely did).  At least I could pick up and play this game as opposed to some of the other cartridges where, without the manual/overlays you have no idea what you're doing.  Thus I strongly disagree that 2600's Pac Man is anywhere close to being among the worst among 2600 games.

You know...now that I think about it, I tend to agree with you here.  As a kid, this was the only home Pac-Man I had and, yeah, I could tell as a kid it was a bit disappointing, but it was all I had!  That is, until Ms. Pac-Man for the 2600 came out, which is a good rendition of that title.

I totally skipped Pac-Man on the NES.  I think having the experience on the 2600 made me aware at that point that, most of the time, arcade games could never be as good on the console as they were in the arcade.  Notable exceptions, of course, to Space Invaders for the 2600, as you mentioned, and Contra on the NES.

I don't think I bought a "home Pac-Man" again until Microsoft put out those Return/Revenge of Arcade Windows 95 software compilations.  I did salivate over the mini Pac-Man arcade that Coleco put out.  Never got one.  😞

Here is an unpopular opinion: Donkey Kong on the 2600 is fun for what it is.  This goes back to the whole "it was the only DK I had at the time," though!  🙂

2 hours ago, Sumer said:

You know...now that I think about it, I tend to agree with you here.  As a kid, this was the only home Pac-Man I had and, yeah, I could tell as a kid it was a bit disappointing, but it was all I had!  That is, until Ms. Pac-Man for the 2600 came out, which is a good rendition of that title

If you really liked both of those, Jr. Pac-Man is probably the best Pac-Man game on the 2600. It plays faster than either Pac-Man or Ms, and it incorporates the scroll feature of the arcade (though they did have to swap it for up and down rather than side to side.)

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

If you really liked both of those, Jr. Pac-Man is probably the best Pac-Man game on the 2600. It plays faster than either Pac-Man or Ms, and it incorporates the scroll feature of the arcade (though they did have to swap it for up and down rather than side to side.)

Jr. Pac-Man was the version I got for 2600 and I loved it. Having previously played the Pac-Man port, Jr. Pac-Man felt like a huge improvement. I spent many hours with it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Would you guys think I'm a wuss if in RPGs I always choose the "Wait" option for battles as opposed to the "ATB" thing?  I mean I wouldn't like it if I was playing checkers/chess/backgammon or something and if I don't move quick enough my opponent gets an extra move 😛 

No.  ATB is kind overrated.  A lot of games aren't ATB, you get your turn, and you go, like a more traditional down to ouright pencil and paper era game.  You get a turn, take that time, do what you wish, end the choice and -> effect, then the other party goes.

9 hours ago, Estil said:

Would you guys think I'm a wuss if in RPGs I always choose the "Wait" option for battles as opposed to the "ATB" thing?  I mean I wouldn't like it if I was playing checkers/chess/backgammon or something and if I don't move quick enough my opponent gets an extra move 😛 

I always prefer true turn-based to "ATB" options. True turn-based strategy is my jam. I like to ruminate on my decisions. The computer can already think a million times faster than I can. Why give it an even further advantage by letting it cheat the clock, too?

• 2 weeks later...
Social Team · Posted

I think modern games are overall much better than retro games.

Jim Carrey Omg GIF

Spoiler

I'm not saying retro games aren't fun to play, but I don't know of any retro games that can compete with my favorite modern games.  I did not have a broad experience of retro games growing up so I'm happy to find amazing retro games to play.

Also, lets be real here.  The craft of game developers have increased at lot as the industry as a whole keeps getting better like ANY industry will do.  But don't burn me at the stake yet.  I also think retro games deserve praise and plays because they are still enjoyable.  

Edited by FireHazard51

50 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Mario Party is fun when you're playing with a mixed group of gamers/non-gamers and with copious amounts of alcohol! 😉

You'd think so, but every time I've had the chance to engage in the above mix, I've been bored out of my mind and just wanted to get back to actually having fun again!

• Wow! 1

I see we were talking about Donkey Kong Country above

*puts on fire-proof suit*

All three Sonic games are better platformers than all three DKC games

Sorry but I just can’t get into those games. And they’re my sister’s favorite SNES games so believe me, I’ve had plenty of experience with them. They feel... too floaty? And the visual style, while impressive at the time, looks gross today.

Edited by Strange
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Strange said:

I see we were talking about Donkey Kong Country above

*puts on fire-proof suit*

All three Sonic games are better platformers than all three DKC games

Sorry but I just can’t get into those games. And they’re my sister’s favorite SNES games so believe me, I’ve had plenty of experience with them. They feel... too floaty? And the visual style, while impressive at the time, looks gross today.

To be fair Sonic 3 & Knuckles is quite the epic complex experience as far as platformers up to that point in time go.  It better be if they had to spread it out over two cartridges (and I don't think anyone else ever did that whole lock on thing)!  But DKC is fantastic in terms of showing off just what the SNES can do (I don't think the DKC games even needed much in the way of helper chips like Super FX or C4 did it?).  Not to mention how seeing during Channel One News in my 8th grade days that DKC is NOT on Sega, NOT on 32 bit adapters, and most definitely NOT on CD-ROM! 😄  Take that Sega and your hedgehog stench!  😄 (no, really in the Sonic and Knuckles guide Knuckles does in fact ask Sonic to use deoderant because his hedgehog stench is kinda gross 😄 )

And who wants to go "to the next level" when you can go light years beyond? 😄 

I'm not really a Nintendo fanboy but I can sure pretend to be one real good eh? 😄 

7 hours ago, Estil said:

To be fair Sonic 3 & Knuckles is quite the epic complex experience as far as platformers up to that point in time go.  It better be if they had to spread it out over two cartridges (and I don't think anyone else ever did that whole lock on thing)!  But DKC is fantastic in terms of showing off just what the SNES can do (I don't think the DKC games even needed much in the way of helper chips like Super FX or C4 did it?).  Not to mention how seeing during Channel One News in my 8th grade days that DKC is NOT on Sega, NOT on 32 bit adapters, and most definitely NOT on CD-ROM! 😄  Take that Sega and your hedgehog stench!  😄 (no, really in the Sonic and Knuckles guide Knuckles does in fact ask Sonic to use deoderant because his hedgehog stench is kinda gross 😄 )

And who wants to go "to the next level" when you can go light years beyond? 😄 

I'm not really a Nintendo fanboy but I can sure pretend to be one real good eh? 😄 

Technological feats are great and all, but I still don’t think the original DKC trilogy graphics hold up today. FF7 was a monumental/technological leap over FF6 but I don’t think anyone would say today that OG-FF7 looks better. Couple the fact that they’re easier on the eyes + tighter controls and I think the Sonic games hold up better in hindsight. Don’t know why Sega got insecure and made Vectorman in response, because IMO they already had a plethora of better playing platformers. That should’ve been their angle when responding to DKC, but hey, it was Sega in the mid-90s.

The Genesis was released two years before the SNES and is less powerful, so the fact that it still competed and had Nintendo sweating despite the SNES’s inherent advantages speaks volumes to the quality of the Genesis.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Strange said:

Technological feats are great and all, but I still don’t think the original DKC trilogy graphics hold up today. FF7 was a monumental/technological leap over FF6 but I don’t think anyone would say today that OG-FF7 looks better. Couple the fact that they’re easier on the eyes + tighter controls and I think the Sonic games hold up better in hindsight. Don’t know why Sega got insecure and made Vectorman in response, because IMO they already had a plethora of better playing platformers. That should’ve been their angle when responding to DKC, but hey, it was Sega in the mid-90s.

The Genesis was released two years before the SNES and is less powerful, so the fact that it still competed and had Nintendo sweating despite the SNES’s inherent advantages speaks volumes to the quality of the Genesis.

OG-FF7?  Sounds like some sort of cyborg.  And as I had already mentioned before the Genesis was more powerful in one key category... 😄 

I'm tired of these clunky 8-bit games

I need to find a system that's true 16 bit

I need to get one pretty quick

Hey mister, what'cha got out on that shelf you can sell me right away

Maybe a console that does what Nintendon't

The kind that makes you think you brought the arcades home

Color palette don't matter, no I don't need no Mode 7

All that really concerns me is:

Speeeeeed, and how fast can it go

Can it get me over da loops quickly

Blast processing can it outrun that fat plumber

Yeah what I really need, is a blue hedgehog

And a whole lotta speed

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Smash Bros. fans: “We want this to be the greatest video game crossover event of all time!”

Also Smash Bros. fans: “WHY did they let in iconic fighting game character and/or iconic JRPG swordsman and not Fuzzball McFartpants from obscure N64/GameCube game only a niche audience of Nintendo fans care about?!! Sakurai doesn’t care about us!!!”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strange said:

Smash Bros. fans: “We want this to be the greatest video game crossover event of all time!”

Also Smash Bros. fans: “WHY did they let in iconic fighting game character and/or iconic JRPG swordsman and not Fuzzball McFartpants from obscure N64/GameCube game only a niche audience of Nintendo fans care about?!! Sakurai doesn’t care about us!!!”

So true. Smash fans would have to be one of the worst fighting communities.

• Like 1

Given the trending in some lists online, polls, and what not... they should add the one IP from Nintendo they've been turds about snubbing that has made them some considerable profit.  It has been online now for roughly a 1000 days with no signs of slowing, just more growth -- Dragalia Lost, the lead from it, The Prince (in Gala upgraded format a sword/light unit, original run sword/fire.)  He has trended well, but that'll be a cold day in hell adding that one.

I'd put them up to adding some random soldier or CO from Advance Wars to advertise that release first...maybe little andy pounding you with his wrench nearly as big as him, then for a super hit, pops into a tank or something and machine guns for light, shells you for hard hit off one of those brawling direction+button moves.

Edited by Tanooki

1 hour ago, Strange said:

So all those fans wanna say is...

On 4/17/2021 at 3:02 AM, Strange said:

FF7 was a monumental/technological leap over FF6 but I don’t think anyone would say today that OG-FF7 looks better.

I would absolutely say that though. To an extreme extent. From an artistic standpoint, the PS1 FFs are among the most beautiful games ever made and blow the rest of the series out of the water imo.

Count that as my contribution to the topic.