IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

On 7/14/2021 at 2:59 PM, WhyNotZoidberg said:

This one is a tough pill to swallow for SEGA people, but Nintendoes.

I know that Nintendoes send legal threats to fans showing their creative love for Nintendo while Sega encourages their fans. 😉

I hate to come out of the gate seeming like the Sega fanboy (if you saw gameroom you wouldn’t think I was) but I just don’t like blind defense of any company. Like I said in an earlier post I don’t want to be a * company * fan or collector, but a video game fan and collector.

Edited by Strange
  • Like 1

And it’s not a good look for me to be like “I love Nintendo, really!” and then post this meme that I just saw on Reddit but that’s what I originally came here to post lol

CF0780CB-E24A-4D22-9263-F3E447FA33B3.jpeg

Nintendo has done a really good job of Disney-fying their brand for sure. But I feel like it’s only the young fans that still buy the “Nintendo is a loving big brother who just makes games for fun and just wants you to have fun and doesn’t care about money at all” narrative.

Edited by Strange

1 hour ago, Strange said:

But I feel like it’s only the young fans that still buy the “Nintendo is a loving big brother who just makes games for fun and just wants you to have fun and doesn’t care about money at all” narrative.

Do you see Twitter at all? The coalition on there defends Nintendo's purity to the death and they're all older than me (35+)

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Strange said:

I hate to come out of the gate seeming like the Sega fanboy (if you saw gameroom you wouldn’t think I was) but I just don’t like blind defense of any company. Like I said in an earlier post I don’t want to be a * company * fan or collector, but a video game fan and collector.

That's okay, I can bring some balance to the force.  And continue this trend of putting people in a box! 😎

The original Sonic games aren't that great, and never were. Anyone who thinks otherwise is blinded by childhood nostalgia, where the allure of an edgy McEdgeLord was irresistible.  Bad mechanics and level design to the moon!

...no one go back through my post history and find the thousand instances where I unironically put people in a box. 😅

5 hours ago, Strange said:

I know that Nintendoes send legal threats to fans showing their creative love for Nintendo while Sega encourages their fans. 😉

While this is a true statement, it shouldn't be used as a negative for Nintendo compared to Sega.  It's actually an unfair comparison considering that Nintendo has IP that's actually worth protecting and they have to means to do so.  Sega ........ doesn't.  

• Like 2

Ehh...while that red part of the image a few posts up there I entirely agree with, comparing them to EA I find a bit disgusting.

Nintendo isn't a loot box whore of the epic degree.  They actually give away largely quite a good bit of a mix of very useful to some fluff items as free DLC with the purchase of the game.  EA isn't that generous in the slightest.  But Nintendo has their douche moments, like Mario Golf 3DS hiding 20% of the full game behind a pay wall making the game $5 higher than the retail price of their usual stuff... but that's out of the normal for them pulling that stunt.  So they do ratty stuff, but a fart in the wind compared to EAs bs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Strange said:

And it’s not a good look for me to be like “I love Nintendo, really!” and then post this meme that I just saw on Reddit but that’s what I originally came here to post lol

Nintendo has done a really good job of Disney-fying their brand for sure. But I feel like it’s only the young fans that still buy the “Nintendo is a loving big brother who just makes games for fun and just wants you to have fun and doesn’t care about money at all” narrative.

Their main problems are that Nintendo goes way overboard as a Copyright Nazi while EA goes way overboard with microtransactions and their monopoly on the major league sports titles means they have no real incentive to make them truly better.

On that note, do your stats/achievements/etc carry over into next year's version of that sports title?  Because if not wouldn't that kinda make all that hard work you did on last year's version feel like a waste? 😞

15 hours ago, Strange said:

This can be applied to every company on the planet, honestly, and the sooner a person realizes that the better. A corporation is nothing more than a machine designed to generate profits. Any other objective is secondary, including doing things right for the consumer. It's often assumed that providing a high-quality product, an excellent customer-experience, and having a strong reputation of ethical practices is the path to success, but very quickly corporations discovered ways to be successful without doing some or any of those things.

That's why I can't understand why anybody would show blind loyalty to any company, whether that's Nintendo, Starbucks, Target, Coca-Cola, Disney, Apple, whatever. But at the same time, I don't understand why people try to vilify companies for behaving this way, either. They are simply doing what they are designed to do. It would be like getting mad at a lion for killing and eating an antelope. The only difference is that we (society) have actually created this system and allowed it to continue in such a way, so there's nobody to really be upset with except ourselves.

But, what I'm really trying to say is:

SegA SUCLS!!1! NiNtEnDO RULZ!!!!!!1!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Here's a doozy of an UNpopular opinion for ya...I went through all the trouble of getting Zelda Breath of the Wild on WiiU right when it came out, even sprung for the DLC...and I still haven't gotten around to starting it yet (has it already been over four years since it came out, SERIOUSLY!?).  I know it's supposed to be this great Legendary huge open world game but...you don't get to play as any cute chicks like you do in the retro JRPGs I've been working on... 😞   Do I at least get to name Link's horse Denise like I can in Twilight Princess? 😄 

8 minutes ago, cj_robot said:

This can be applied to every company on the planet, honestly, and the sooner a person realizes that the better. A corporation is nothing more than a machine designed to generate profits. Any other objective is secondary, including doing things right for the consumer. It's often assumed that providing a high-quality product, an excellent customer-experience, and having a strong reputation of ethical practices is the path to success, but very quickly corporations discovered ways to be successful without doing some or any of those things.

This is why I get sooo irritated when my local grocery store (starts with a K) claims over and over again "Customer First" when they do so many things that most definitely are not "customer first". 😞   I mean whatever happened to...

23 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

While this is a true statement, it shouldn't be used as a negative for Nintendo compared to Sega.  It's actually an unfair comparison considering that Nintendo has IP that's actually worth protecting and they have to means to do so.  Sega ........ doesn't.  

Hard disagree there but to each their own. Nintendo goes too hard against their own fans imo.

On 7/19/2021 at 6:06 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

The original Sonic games aren't that great, and never were.

I didn’t play them until I was an adult and I think they’re better than DKC 😛 but like I said above, to each their own.

56 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

While I don't play a lot of EA games, Nintendo published games tend to at worst be very good and really fun.

You’re right for the most part but this is the first generation that I haven’t been able to blindly buy a Nintendo game and be assured of its quality. Super Mario Party, Mario Tennis Aces (before the updates/DLC), and the new Mario Golf are all examples of games that are lackluster, lacking content, etc. from Nintendo.

On 7/19/2021 at 4:59 PM, Strange said:

Sega?  Don't you mean Sammy?  🤫

1 hour ago, Strange said:

Hard disagree there but to each their own. Nintendo goes too hard against their own fans imo.

Which part?  Are you saying Nintendo doesn't have IP worth protecting?  Or are you saying that Sega's IP is just as valuable as Nintendo's?  

Edited by TDIRunner

7 hours ago, Strange said:

Neither. I said Sega has IPs that are worth something.

Everything is worth "something."

Sega's IP isn't worth nearly what Nintendo's is.  They also do not have the same means to protect their IP.  Comparing the two is laughable at best.  It's great that Sega doesn't go after every single project that copies their IP, but it has nothing to do with them being a super nice company that honors their fans.  Nintendo shuts down a small percentage of projects that copy their IP because 1:  they can and 2: they stand to lose money if they don't.

On 7/21/2021 at 8:34 AM, TDIRunner said:

Everything is worth "something."

Sega's IP isn't worth nearly what Nintendo's is.  They also do not have the same means to protect their IP.  Comparing the two is laughable at best.  It's great that Sega doesn't go after every single project that copies their IP, but it has nothing to do with them being a super nice company that honors their fans.  Nintendo shuts down a small percentage of projects that copy their IP because 1:  they can and 2: they stand to lose money if they don't.

Your initial statement was that Sega didn’t have anything worth protecting. That was my disagreement.

Their ruthlessness and various overreactions when it comes to their IPs is a fair criticism of Nintendo and I’m far from the only person who gets onto them for it.

Nintendo isn’t above criticism and there are plenty of Nintendo mega-fans that don’t even pretend they are.

Edited by Strange

52 minutes ago, Strange said:

Your initial statement was that Sega didn’t have anything worth protecting. That was my disagreement.

My initial statement said a lot more than that, which is why your "hard disagree" didn't make much sense, and therefore, I questioned it.  

52 minutes ago, Strange said:

Nintendo isn’t above criticism and there are plenty of Nintendo mega-fans that don’t even pretend they are.

I've never said Nintendo is above criticism.  In fact I've often stated the exact opposite.  But criticism of Nintendo protecting their IP is beyond ridiculous, so I will call that out every time I see it.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

My initial statement said a lot more than that, which is why your "hard disagree" didn't make much sense, and therefore, I questioned it.  

I've never said Nintendo is above criticism.  In fact I've often stated the exact opposite.  But criticism of Nintendo protecting their IP is beyond ridiculous, so I will call that out every time I see it.  

Then you’ve got your work cut out for you because it’s one of the loudest and most widespread criticisms of Nintendo. 

If we were only talking about emulation sites and piracy then sure, I’d be with you, but we’re not.

Editorials Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, Strange said:

Then you’ve got your work cut out for you because it’s one of the loudest and most widespread criticisms of Nintendo

So it's a popular opinion...

Seems like you need to vent against some particular group of people that rubs you the wrong way.  I guess in the same way that sports (hockey) fans always have to vent about how terrible some other fanbase is.  And vice versa 😂

32 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

So it's a popular opinion...

Seems like you need to vent against some particular group of people that rubs you the wrong way.  I guess in the same way that sports (hockey) fans always have to vent about how terrible some other fanbase is.  And vice versa 😂

This comment chain goes back a bit so it’s hard to keep track, but I never claimed the criticism against Nintendo’s copyright policing was an unpopular opinion. This convo was an offshoot/side comment from someone else’s post. Isn’t that what this thread is about though, venting your unpopular opinions that might get you skewered? 😉

How did you know I’m an NHL fan?! If you want to see my hockey rants you have to go to Twitter and I know that’s not something many want to do.

31 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

It wouldn't be the first time a lot of people were wrong.  

Fair enough.

Xenogears' second disc is actually super good. 

When I initially played the game I noticed the change in pacing of course, you litterally read the story instead of playing, maybe it's just me but it felt like a stylistic choice and I thought it was well done, it really marks a difference between the 2 "halves" of the game. And we regain control and resume Mecha-kicking butt soon enough. 

• Confused 1