IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

FF7's backgrounds definitely still look great, and I think that's where the game got most of the attention.

I always thought FF6 looked better though, but the graphics have actually grown on me. At the time I thought it looked visibly archaic compared to something like Chrono Trigger, but there's some realy beautiful pixel art in the game.

The majority of people don’t care enough about video games to build a gaming PC. The simplicity of buying a box, plugging it in, and it working right away without having to troubleshoot is the allure of consoles. To reiterate: the majority of people don’t care enough about video games to build a gaming PC. It will likely always be this way and the vocal PC gamers that are bent out of shape over it and harassing people about consoles need to cope and just enjoy their PC.

• Like 2

The 3DO was good. Still is, in may ways.

The Lynx is by far Atari's best console.

Super Mario Bros. 2 > Super Mario Bros. > Super Mario Bros. 3.

Zelda II > Zelda 

Other M was fantastic even if I didn't care much for the story/cutscenes

I'm not much for originality in these topics

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg

7 minutes ago, G-type said:

Controllers have too many buttons

2 should be the max.

1 is better.

I blame fighting games for the increases

don't want to play a video game on this: 

You should check out the Fairchild Channel F.  

It has one single stick per controller.  

What's interesting is that stick moves in all directions like a typical joystick.  But you can also twist the joystick clockwise or counterclockwise to make it act like a paddle controller.  Lastly, the stick and be pushed down or pulled up to act as two separate action buttons.  But all of those actions are done with a single stick.

24 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

You should check out the Fairchild Channel F.  

It has one single stick per controller.  

What's interesting is that stick moves in all directions like a typical joystick.  But you can also twist the joystick clockwise or counterclockwise to make it act like a paddle controller.  Lastly, the stick and be pushed down or pulled up to act as two separate action buttons.  But all of those actions are done with a single stick.

maybe this also counts as an unpopular opinion but I prefer having separate controllers/peripherals over an all-in-one solution... separate Paddle, light gun, steering wheel, joystick... 😍

I'm also one of those people who loved putting the wii remote inside the steering wheel holder to play Mario kart.

• Like 1

- Super Mario Bros. 2 (aka Super Mario Bros. USA) is the best in the series.

- Dragon Quest VI (both SFC and DS) is the best in the series.

- Final Fantasy V was better than Final Fantasy VI.

- Tales of Phantasia is the best in the series.

- The Super Nintendo Entertainment System could have been better.

Editorials Team · Posted
30 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

Get him!

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

These are definitely unpopular opinions! Although I won't disagree with DQ6, I really enjoyed that game and would probably rank as my favourite too, even if 7 and 8 normally get all the love. Although I haven't played 11 and that's meant to be great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FenrirZero said:

How could the SNES (I'm presuming you mean the hardware itself right?) realistically have been better?  It was already a $200 system (almost double that adjusting for inflation) at launch and look at the nagging that price was getting from parents already...

Yet nobody seemed to be complaining about the Genesis when it launched a couple years prior for almost the same price; go figure...

I think on that same note the Sega CD could've really used an upgraded color palette (at least the SNES's 32,756/256 palette) to make the FMV and photos look more decent but as you all are probably aware, that too was REALLY pushing it on the price as it was.  And let's face it, what did you expect anyone to do about the Sega CD not being quite so ideal?  Wait for Nintendo to make one? 😄 

Edited by Estil

7 minutes ago, MagusSmurf said:

I can see plenty of merits to SMB2, DQVi, and FFV even if those aren’t anywhere close to my personal picks.

Tales of Phantasia, though? Aged like milk. Are we talking the original SNES version or some remake I haven’t played?

I enjoyed VERY much Tales of Phantasia (original SNES version of course); I loved all the neat little surprises (like the "You're not getting my Bud Light" guy) and touches the game had...and it's no surprise the game along with Star Ocean were the biggest SNES games ever (6MB or 48 "megabits"; I don't think any others went above 3-4MB).

Yeah, DQ6 and FF5 I also like a lot though not nearly as much as DQ5 or FF9.  Though please understand that "plenty of merits" =/= "best in series"...those games @FenrirZero mentioned do indeed have plenty of merits sure but to call them "best in series" (especially SMB2) is REALLY pushing it.

Edited by Estil

2 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

I don't have an issue with SMB USA, a decade ago in an interview Shiggy said it was his favorite so...?  And FF5 if you want a real challenge and a better story to follow you're right 5 is better, but it's also just nasty, you can't game the system like 6 to spam to easy victories.  I've only really done Symphonia and Abyss, not sure I'd agree it was downhill from the start.  DQ6 just not going to agree there, not enough information.  And the last one, other than maybe just maybe the overly slow main CPU otherwise not in the least bit for the time it was developed, other than Sony's scheming costing them the CD unit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Get him!

[puts a water gun up to his head]

Hold it! The next man makes a move, FenrirZero gets it!

[he acts scared]

Hold it, men. He's not bluffing. Listen to him, men. I even saw him put some of that juice stuff that is hard to get off clothing! He's just crazy enough to do it. 😭

[he now acts angry]

Drop it! Or I swear I'll shoot!

[now he acts scared]

Oh, Lordy, Lord, he's desperate! Do what he say! Do what he say! Help me, help me...

[he forces himself into another response while he holds himself hostage]

...somebody help me! 😭

5 hours ago, Shmup said:

These are definitely unpopular opinions! Although I won't disagree with DQ6, I really enjoyed that game and would probably rank as my favourite too, even if 7 and 8 normally get all the love. Although I haven't played 11 and that's meant to be great.

I do my best to give the public what it asks for! 😁

Plus I tend to put Dragon Quest VII on the lower end of my like list. But while playing XI S, I can say that it might rank higher than XI when it comes to just its story. 🤔

5 hours ago, Estil said:

How could the SNES (I'm presuming you mean the hardware itself right?) realistically have been better?

Realistically? Nintendo has a playbook that says they will improve their consoles in any way, shape, or form. But they also know that you always begin with the basic model before you make the variants.

In this case they could have looked into more conversion kits when it comes to those who still have NES games, those who live in areas where SFC games are also sold (i.e. Hawai'i), and even create non-bazooka sized blasters.

Better is if they convinced third-party licensors to do it! Because in the end the basic model is fine if you ignore the fact there are variants, add-ons, etc. that could have made it better for those who want it. 🤓

5 hours ago, Estil said:

...but to call them "best in series" (especially SMB2) is REALLY pushing it.

Honestly, the phrase "best in the series" is a phrase that says the person who played it got the best results from beginning to end. And only share that feeling with those who are in a similar group. It's no different than three graders saying what the difference between an 80+ and an 85 should be. The difference between the two are 4 points.

I personally said it is the "best" because it gave me the experience I wanted from beginning to end. And if we wrapped all of the Super Mario titles in one camp, Super Mario RPG would have been on the top of that list for me. With reason being tied to the fact I don't play games for the sake of playing games. 

Then again... I also call my second (and currently last) published article my "Ocean's Twelve" when it comes to anything I have written (published or otherwise). 😅

8 hours ago, Shmup said:

I won't disagree with DQ6, I really enjoyed that game and would probably rank as my favourite too, even if 7 and 8 normally get all the love.

7 is probably one of the most divisive DQ games, really, but then so are 2 and 6 for some reason.

I agree with both you and @FenrirZero, Dragon Quest 6 is my favourite in the series. 11 might have overtaken it, but it's still too early to say, and they are both so different, but for the "classic" games in the series, 6 just does everything right, and it's crazy that it doesn't normally get more attention.

• Like 1