IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Super Mario Bros

BeaIank

28 minutes ago, Kid Dracula said:

Nice! What is this tipping strategy I keep hearing about? Is there a video of it? 

Arnpoly posted a guide after the 2017 SMB competition. https://connect.gocollect.com/discussion/comment/2948759/#Comment_2948759

Basically, tipping is just hitting the turtle shells over and over after hitting them off a wall.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed playing SMB this week. It was great to revisit this game after so many years of not really playing it at all. I managed to complete the game (but using multiple lives). I don't think I've done that since the 1980's. Once I completed the game, I realized my current strategy would not get me the points I was seeking. I still had fun 🙂 

Props to @Jeevan for his solid finish - first time in the top 8, I believe! A great showing by everyone that completed the game with one life! I plan to do it some day as well!

EDIT: FOR CLARITY, THIS IS NOT A SCORE SUBMISSION

vgs-ninjistar-smb-cleared-2020.jpg

EDIT: FOR CLARITY, THIS IS NOT A SCORE SUBMISSION

Edited by ninjistar
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted

Congrats to @Bearcat-Doug for winning the highly sought after Super Mario Bros. crown. Doug, I know you'd prefer a belt, but all we got to give is a crown... and to be honest, it looks a little more like a tiara than a full blown gold medieval crown, but hey, let's say that it is Peach's crown. That still make for a nice trophy for a great win!

Competition was very high this week, Doug's 1,146,750 score was followed closely by @arnpoly and @bertsampson with over the million mark scores, and lets not forget @TWarwick07 and @Kid Dracula which were both near the million mark.

Honorable mention to the 500k club members including respectively @mbd39, @Jeevan, @skinnygrinny, @ninjistar and contest's favorite handcrafter @MeganJoanne!

Again, thanks to every one participating and posting in the contest threads, you guys rock!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

I really enjoyed playing SMB this week. It was great to revisit this game after so many years of not really playing it at all. I managed to complete the game (but using multiple lives). I don't think I've done that since the 1980's. Once I completed the game, I realized my current strategy would not get me the points I was seeking. I still had fun 🙂 

Props to @Jeevan for his solid finish - first time in the top 8, I believe! A great showing by everyone that completed the game with one life! I plan to do it some day as well

It's a frustrating game to try to beat without dying, at least for me. And I've no-deathed some fairly tough games such as Ninja Gaiden and Double Dragon 2. The later levels actually have some tricky platforming and the controls are kind of slippery and momentum based. Even level 2-3 was making me nervous.

Events Helper · Posted
8 hours ago, mbd39 said:

That I beat Jeevan by exactly 500 points amuses me. For that reason I'm kind of glad that I didn't do any better.

You Suck, You Jackass! GIF - Jackass YouSuck YouJackass - Discover ...

Oh wait, you beat me............   🤣       Good job buddy, im surprised i got that high of a score, but i was playing for about 5 hours when i fell down that hole, reset after reset lol.

3 hours ago, Jeevan said:

You Suck, You Jackass! GIF - Jackass YouSuck YouJackass - Discover ...

Oh wait, you beat me............   🤣       Good job buddy, im surprised i got that high of a score, but i was playing for about 5 hours when i fell down that hole, reset after reset lol.

I had to put in some effort just to beat your score. Nice job yourself. 😉

• Like 1