IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

On 5/1/2020 at 6:38 PM, The Strangest said:

Definitely romanticized by gamers.

I mean this is a really awesome badass video from the song that South Park made famous but yeah, doesn't look that sword does do much good.

6 minutes ago, Estil said:

Is that a for real handheld Oregon Trail game?  Like the kind you can actually buy or just something someone made for themselves?  I just hope none of my kitties get anything like a broken arm along the Trail 😞 

You can get them at Target (Coronavirus free.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

It is also a NOAC system so there is an NES ROM somewhere, from what I read 

That's been the rumor since it came out, but I've never read anything where anybody actually dumped the ROM and gained access to the chipset to confirm everything.  Just did some quick Googling and still not coming up with anything, unfortunately.  Would totally love to be able to play it on real hardware versus a cramped handheld.

57 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

That's been the rumor since it came out, but I've never read anything where anybody actually dumped the ROM and gained access to the chipset to confirm everything.  Just did some quick Googling and still not coming up with anything, unfortunately.  Would totally love to be able to play it on real hardware versus a cramped handheld.

The hardware is nes-adjacent. That russian guy ("sanchez", with abstract spelling) who's big into reversing and dumping pirate carts and other oddities got hold of the rom and made progress converting it to run on the nes. Afaik the code is mostly ok, the graphics have to be converted. I don't know where he would up with it.

Administrator · Posted

Hey everyone!  Just checking in to say, I hope that everyone is staying safe, healthy, and sane!  Frustrations are high, tensions are high, people are concerned about the future, the economy, the virus, etc.   There is definitely a lot of disagreement out there on where we are, what we should be doing, how soon we should "open," and so much more.  But one thing that hasn't changed throughout this entire ordeal, is that we are all still on the same side ultimately against coronavirus.  

It is my sincere hope that people will continue to try to have patience with each other, and also our leaders in handling this crisis.  Of course everyone won't agree on everything, but I think if people can try to be reasonable and fair with each other, and even politicians and legislators, that we'll all be better off.  

I know that we have several healthcare workers here as members, and also many other essential workers - delivery and postal workers, grocery store employees, bankers, various trades and home services, and so many more.  To everyone out there who is working for the public day in and day out to help keep things going -- THANK YOU so much for everything you are doing.  I know it's difficult and all of your jobs are so much more challenging and dangerous than ever before!

So many people are putting themselves at risk every day for the rest of us, and it's easy to just take it for granted.  I think in a time of stress and complaints, it's important to stay positive and appreciative, and to recognize all the great things people are doing everyday and the sacrifices people are making.  

I hope everyone is doing well all things considered, and finding some balance and peace in their lives with all this craziness and uncertainty.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So they're gonna try to reopen some place in some states/local levels...I mean I hope they are really ready to and it works and all...but I got a really really bad feeling it's gonna end up well, you know...one step forward and many steps back?  I hear as an argument that the number of new cases is declining in growth so it we should be about ready but OTOH it could just as if not more easily argued that it means the quarantine is doing it's job.  You know, like how you don't just suddenly stop taking a prescription drug just because you no longer have symptoms?

Administrator · Posted
12 minutes ago, Estil said:

So they're gonna try to reopen some place in some states/local levels...I mean I hope they are really ready to and it works and all...but I got a really really bad feeling it's gonna end up well, you know...one step forward and many steps back?  I hear as an argument that the number of new cases is declining in growth so it we should be about ready but OTOH it could just as if not more easily argued that it means the quarantine is doing it's job.  You know, like how you don't just suddenly stop taking a prescription drug just because you no longer have symptoms?

From what was presented, the whole "stay at home" dealio was to keep hospitals from getting overwhelmed so they could get out in front of this thing as far as beds, vents, PPE, etc.

So people are still going to get sick and stuff, but they have a better chance of survival through 6 weeks of hospitals already dealing with it and learning some things?

15 hours ago, spacepup said:

Hey everyone!  Just checking in to say, I hope that everyone is staying safe, healthy, and sane!  Frustrations are high, tensions are high, people are concerned about the future, the economy, the virus, etc.   There is definitely a lot of disagreement out there on where we are, what we should be doing, how soon we should "open," and so much more.  But one thing that hasn't changed throughout this entire ordeal, is that we are all still on the same side ultimately against coronavirus.  

It is my sincere hope that people will continue to try to have patience with each other, and also our leaders in handling this crisis.  Of course everyone won't agree on everything, but I think if people can try to be reasonable and fair with each other, and even politicians and legislators, that we'll all be better off.  

I know that we have several healthcare workers here as members, and also many other essential workers - delivery and postal workers, grocery store employees, bankers, various trades and home services, and so many more.  To everyone out there who is working for the public day in and day out to help keep things going -- THANK YOU so much for everything you are doing.  I know it's difficult and all of your jobs are so much more challenging and dangerous than ever before!

So many people are putting themselves at risk every day for the rest of us, and it's easy to just take it for granted.  I think in a time of stress and complaints, it's important to stay positive and appreciative, and to recognize all the great things people are doing everyday and the sacrifices people are making.  

I hope everyone is doing well all things considered, and finding some balance and peace in their lives with all this craziness and uncertainty.

Thanks for that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Estil said:

The problem is that lacking a viable alternative such as a vaccine having everyone hunker down can only work so long since economically it can not be sustained (and the longer you do the worse the damage to the economy),  Not to mention the cumulative mental health issues that are just beginning (at least anecdotally) to manifest. I haven't seen where any of the states have come up with any plans to restore their  economies (other than apparently hoping the Feds can keep creating fiat currency).  I know that the governor here is looking at ways to cut the state budget (to offset lost tax revenues) - but there is only so much bloat to cut out.  And the Feds can only create a limited amount of money through smoke and mirrors without having larger problems surface (to quote one on my favorite comedy skits "we're already on the tin foil standard heading for the ball of string") sooner (most likely) or later.   

By keeping everyone ratcheted down you are only delaying the inevitable - whenever you let people surface the incidence rate will perforce increase (barring of course an effective vaccine - something which may not occur rapidly (if at all)).

unnamed (2).jpg

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Going along with your prescription drug analogy. If we think the “quarantine” as a drug and the Covid19 as a treatable condition. Then the only way to know if the condition (Covid19) is improving is by reducing the dose of the drug (ie. relaxing the level of quarantine gradually). 

1 hour ago, Estil said:

The end of the lockdown doesn’t mean “it’s safe.” It means “We’ve got room for you in the hospitals now when you do get it.”

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

The problem is that lacking a viable alternative such as a vaccine having everyone hunker down can only work so long since economically it can not be sustained (and the longer you do the worse the damage to the economy),  Not to mention the cumulative mental health issues that are just beginning (at least anecdotally) to manifest. I haven't seen where any of the states have come up with any plans to restore their  economies (other than apparently hoping the Feds can keep creating fiat currency).  I know that the governor here is looking at ways to cut the state budget (to offset lost tax revenues) - but there is only so much bloat to cut out.  And the Feds can only create a limited amount of money through smoke and mirrors without having larger problems surface (to quote one on my favorite comedy skits "we're already on the tin foil standard heading for the ball of string") sooner (most likely) or later.   

By keeping everyone ratcheted down you are only delaying the inevitable - whenever you let people surface the incidence rate will perforce increase (barring of course an effective vaccine - something which may not occur rapidly (if at all)).

So I guess what it boils down to is...

I think it's still way too soon to start opening much, but as long as smart states shut down their borders it shouldn't result in too many extra deaths.  Take a look at places like Japan and Hong Kong when they opened too soon, the surge will be delayed by several weeks before we have another large spike, and probably have to shut down again because stupidity always wins out in the United States. 

I stopped at the grocery store the other day and less than 20% of shoppers had masks on.  I wish I could take them to work with me for a day, I bet that would change their minds.  These people having to work for peanuts in "essential stores" should seriously walk out if people aren't required to wear masks when shopping.  It's insane how selfish and ignorant society is. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Tabonga said:

By keeping everyone ratcheted down you are only delaying the inevitable - whenever you let people surface the incidence rate will perforce increase

While infection rate will go up, that is hardly the inevitable we want to avoid. Up to 70% of people polled in some states won't feel comfortable going back to normal. That means tho people will continue to wear masks, keep their distance and keep hands and surfaces clean. 

Those people will lower the infection rate dramatically. So while the rate will go up from full lock down, it won't go up to pre lock down estimates. Which is the key take away. 

The less people are worried, the more we should be worried. By doing the things listed above, it has been shown in model after model that a portion of those people will be removed from the infected category and can remain uninfected for the duration of the pandemic. 

At this point let's just get back to life.  Those who are concerned will continue with extra care and those who don't won't.  I doubt we'll see mass attendence concerts or sporting events anymore in 2020 though.  

They've already documented the mutations so this is probably going to be a recurring thing for the rest of our lives.  My daughter had Flu A this year and I won't be surprised if we come up with COVID19 A, B, C in later years.  Those hoping and praying for a vaccine with 100% effectiveness are in for a rude disappointment.

• Like 1