IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

Just now, SuperJimtendo said:

The last couple weeks working has been literal hell. From people getting pissed off when being cordially asked to follow the guidelines in place to having shit chucked across the store by dickwads in a tizzy. It's only going to get worse when they start opening things up. 

I've always been in a pretty shitty mood and state of mind and inconsiderate ass mongers selfishly going out because of Boredom are going to kill more people by mental breakdowns than the virus is before too much longer. 

Well, how about we put you more in a country state of mind instead 🙂

2 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

As for the keeping distance from your wife, it’s not necessary. But maybe think about just one of you going into the store when shopping. Simple things like that will probably make the difference.

I suspect that was an instantly made house rule because the clerk was feeling (and acting) peckish towards my wife.  We have since been back - and voila there are lots of couples (some with kids) who are allowed to do their shopping unmolested.

Going in solo (when there are two of you) doesn't make  much sense - it doubles the  (at least - actually probably increases it) exposure time for whoever goes in - and those around that person).

@Super Jimtendo

Just pretend you are back in grade school and playing dodge ball. One of those skills you likely didn't realize at the time would come in useful later in life.

(Sadly I think the snowflakes have killed dodgeball - it was actually one of the few physical activities I was good at.)

^Chucks a frozen turkey at Super Jimtendo.*

Edited by Tabonga

17 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Well you know what they say about making assumptions.............

Unfortunately there is no sign telling these workers who are husbands and wives, who are cotenants, who are bfs and gfs, who are acquaintances, who are coworkers, who are spouses and adulterers...

To be more clear, I’m a frontline worker myself and I find myself being more tired and grumpy these days. This is why I can see it from the eyes of those who are still working and dealing with plenty of humans.

1 minute ago, Tabonga said:

@Super Jimtendo

Just pretend you are back in grade school and playing dodge ball. One of those skills you likely didn't realize at the time would come in useful later in life.

(Sadly I think the snowflakes have killed dodgeball - it was actually one of the few physical activities I was good at.)

^Chucks a frozen turkey at Super Jimtendo.*

Oh don't even get me started at how embarrassing PE was for me back in the day...thank God we only had to do it half a year in my HS freshman year... 😞 

22 minutes ago, Estil said:

Oh don't even get me started at how embarrassing PE was for me back in the day...thank God we only had to do it half a year in my HS freshman year... 😞 

I really disliked it when I got to junior high. In 10th grade (the last year it was mandatory) the instructor had us doing close order drills for the last 3 sessions since he thought we were all going to Vietnam to play hide and seek with the VIet Cong and the NVA.  

Edited by Tabonga

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Richardhead said:

As a person that has taken money/cards as part of my job, I have some stories. Wanna hear them? If so, @SuperJimtendo and @JamesRobot probably have some similar stories as me. We would be happy to share.

As Starfire would say, "eeeew, the damp currency".

I had to touch moist boob money once as a bartender.   Ga-ross.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I really disliked it when I got to junior high. In 10th grade (the last year it was mandatory) the instructor had us doing close order drills for the last 3 sessions since he thought we were all going to Vietnam to play hide and seek with the VIet Cong and the NVA.  

What years was that exactly?  See it's one thing to look back at that era in the eyes of history (it's already 45 years since the Fall of Saigon which was check and mate for the Vietnam War; and if you figure a 20 year old in 1975, then Vietnam Vets would already be at minimum in their mid-to-late 60s) but you were actually there when it and the hawks vs doves debate surrounding it was current and at its emotionally charged peak.  How did you and they and the media at the time view it?  I mean obviously no one likes or wants war but the question of course was it a just war and/or was our involvement really worth it and/or should it ever have been our business in the first place.

I've gone on record here (I think) and in other places that Muhammad Ali refusing to be drafted even though he knew he'd lose his title, risk jailtime, and most of all, precious years of his prime fighting years made perfect sense as far as his reason (I mean why should he fight against people who never did anything wrong to him and never called him you-know-what?).  Obviously in sharp contrast where today a few certain people (not naming names) only do that kind of thing if and ONLY if they are sure it will make them a media/celeb daring (and these pseudo-wannabe "activists" don't sacrifice a God dinged thing 😛 )...which I'm guessing (correct me if I'm wrong) Ali's decision was most definitely NOT universally supported/popular among the media and especially the public in general.

Of course, that's easy for me to say now with the luxury of ~50 years of hindsight.  But if I had been around back then like you were, would I have felt the same way?  Maybe, maybe not.

Edited by Estil

@Estil

That class would have been in the spring of 1968.

It was a much different world back then - society was much less fragmented (at least on the surface) - and it was the first war to be brought home via television to everyone's living room.  As usual neither side was playing with a straight hand. (Of course we didn't know that Gulf of Tonkin was made up) but it was pretty obvious that the government was pretty much continually lying to us.  The anti-war people on the other hand treated the returning troops horribly - not understanding that the vast majority of them hadn't exactly wanted to go in the first place.

If I  had been drafted I would have gone (reluctantly) (WWII would have been a much different story) - but I won't fault others who made other choices.  I never gave a lot of thought to Ali - mostly because I have never paid attention to sports at all.  He did what he thought was right which is all one can do sometimes.

I really became disillusioned with the whole mess in 1970 when my second oldest brother was drafted. By that time everyone who could afford one hired a draft lawyer and got out on the flimsiest of excuses.*  We were dirt poor (extremely so) and did not have the means to do that.   So he got drafted - the thing is that he was 90% blind in one eye.  My mother took him (when very little) to an extension of the University of Minnesota (it was free for poor folks like us) and she was told it was congenital.  The army decided that she had  denied him treatment so he wouldn't be eligible for a non-existent (at that time) draft several years down the road.  Sounds absurd but it was true.   Because he has limited depth perception and really poor night vision they shrewdly realized he couldn't serve in the infantry.  So they stuck him a pershing missle unit (truck mounted tactical nuclear weapons) in Europe.  But if things went hot and the nukes were launched the unit was expected to then act as infantry.  I am sure it that had happened they would have made sure to get him back stateside - NOT.

(It is hard to say what percentage of the population was on either side - my guess is 50/50 until the last couple of years.)

*Only one son of a Congressman ever served in combat there  - I saw an interview with the man (who was in the House of Representatives) and he said bluntly that he could have gotten his son out of it - but that he felt it was just wrong to do so.   The rest either got their sons out of the draft or got them non-Vietnam deployments.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

I'm a licker.  😏

Been hell trying not to lick my fingers to count money.  

I'm sure it's addictive, you know, especially the small bills used to snort stuff.  Get that second hand trace contact high, yeah that's it. :D

I'd like to see more of those dirty things people do with money (licking, etc) stories.  If not in here, make a related sub-thread in here for it.  Nasty crap people do at retail thread.

4 hours ago, Tabonga said:

@Estil

That class would have been in the spring of 1968.

It was a much different world back then

Yes indeed; I don't see how you guys made it through that period; that is without out a doubt the most turbulent year in our country's post-WWII history (I mean just five years after JFK we'd tragically lose MLK and then RFK just a few months apart that 1968 year).  I'd say this illustrates it more than anything (it's one thing for their to be shenanigans going on outside the convention but this was right in the center of the convention all!!):

This is why I don't buy this myth that "the world is getting worse all the time".  After all, back then we couldn't nearly as easily find out about goings on in the world/country/etc like we can now.  Shoot that's true even now compared to 15-20 years ago!

Edited by Estil

15 hours ago, Tabonga said:

If you make like you are coughing and hacking I suspect they might back off on their own accord - they (and everyone else nearby) will probably give you the stink eye but so what since you will likely never see them again.   Either that or you could just stop bathing.   ^___^

It's actually extremely effective.  My brother is a decently heavy smoker, so on the occasions that we went out to do our normal shopping right before everything got locked down, I would snicker at the wide berth we would suddenly get when his smoker's cough would kick in for a moment.  The main reason I was laughing at the time was that there were already warnings about keeping your distance from one another, etc. (even though the official and unofficial quarantines hadn't started yet), and yet the people in Sam's were stacked on top of one another like firewood...right up until the moment my brought would cough for 4-5 seconds, at which point they'd scatter like roaches in a kitchen when the light comes on, lol.  Given the severe reactions some authorities have had regarding people faking such coughs deliberately to antagonize people, I have to wonder how worried smokers are about getting in trouble for their normal bodily reaction to their habit.  (Note:  Many of the folks we passed clearly hadn't bathed recently enough for me not to detect them within several feet, so at least in my area, I don't know that you'd have to tell people to stop bathing, lol!)

22 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I don't know why you guys are mad at the shoppers who aren't following social distancing guidelines. It's the WHO and China that are to blame. Hold them accountable!!

🙄

No baiting, no politics bro. If you want to argue, send me a pm, but at the end of the day, the items that you take issue with would not have happened if the issues that I take issue with had been handled properly initially. 😉

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Tabonga said:

I suspect that was an instantly made house rule because the clerk was feeling (and acting) peckish towards my wife.  We have since been back - and voila there are lots of couples (some with kids) who are allowed to do their shopping unmolested.

Going in solo (when there are two of you) doesn't make  much sense - it doubles the  (at least - actually probably increases it) exposure time for whoever goes in - and those around that person).

Huh?  Let's say you both have it and are asymptomatic...that's double the exposure to the environment that you would then be introducing.  They are highly recommending 1 person trips to minimize exposures in general.  I didn't read what led to this post so I might be out of the loop but this statement caught me scratching my head...

20 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

No baiting, no politics bro. If you want to argue, send me a pm, but at the end of the day, the items that you take issue with would not have happened if the issues that I take issue with had been handled properly initially. 😉

I don't think anyone is disputing that. My point is that we need to worry about resolution and what we are doing now. When someone complains about a politicians response you say don't blame them, blame China and the WHO. So why not blame them when someone coughs on you? I think my point is clear. It's silly not to be angry with someone for handling a situation poorly. Such as standing to close to you and coughing on you. Or ignoring warnings, making ridiculous suggestions, or basically any of the actions taken by a politician.

Edited by CodysGameRoom

38 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

Huh?  Let's say you both have it and are asymptomatic...that's double the exposure to the environment that you would then be introducing.  They are highly recommending 1 person trips to minimize exposures in general.  I didn't read what led to this post so I might be out of the loop but this statement caught me scratching my head...

The way we do the shopping is that I retrieve things that are in areas of a store that Mrs. Tabonga normally wouldn't cover. I also get the stuff at the deli and the meat counter which generally involves a bit of a wait (especially the deli while they slice things) - varies depending on how many other people are in line.  Between the waiting and retrieving that I do we save time* over what Mrs. Tabonga could do on her own.  Less total time less exposure.

*The underlying assumption is that Mrs.Tabonga is going to spend about twice the time alone that we would acting in tandem. But in actuality she is probably going to spend more than twice the time we do together - less total time in store less total exposure. Fairly simple math.

(And who is the ever omni-present and mysterious "they"?

Edited by Tabonga

4 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

The way we do the shopping is that I retrieve things that are in areas of a store that Mrs. Tabonga normally wouldn't cover. I also get the stuff at the deli and the meat counter which generally involves a bit of a wait (especially the deli while they slice things) - varies depending on how many other people are in line.  Between the waiting and retrieving that I do we save time* over what Mrs. Tabonga could do on her own.  Less total time less exposure.

*The underlying assumption is that Mrs.Tabonga is going to spend about twice the time alone that we would acting in tandem. But in actuality she is probably going to spend more than twice the time we do together - less total time in store less total exposure. Fairly simple math.

(And who it the ever present and mysterious "they"?

Since you didn't respond an ounce towards what I said with respect to the environment, then I guess keep doing what you're doing with your self-perspective thinking.  If you wanna get into politics, try someone else, we all know public officials have heavily encouraged us to stay at home, shop only for essentials, and they do suggest 1 person to shop to limit exposure where possible.  It makes sense if you're a carrier and don't realize it - that's the legit horror of this virus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I don't know why you guys are mad at the shoppers who aren't following social distancing guidelines. It's the WHO and China that are to blame. Hold them accountable!!

🙄

So yeah, hold a group and government accountable. People still have to be held accountable here as well, the virus is here. Nothing can be done about that now. People/shoppers need to be more aware of what the fuck is going on around them and be responsible human beings. Have some respect for the majority of people at a time of crisis. Thinking of just yourself right now is the absolute worst thing any of us can do. 

• Like 1