IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

8 minutes ago, MachineCode said:

So sorry that the gif showing a technique that would be used in a melee situation didn't add in a bunch of extraneous people to obscure the view of the techniques the wish to demonstrate. What a bunch of morons, right?

The big difference is that in a classical melee (or pell mell if you want to go old skool) the contestants barely have room to swing a morningstar, sword, axe , nightstick or whatever.  So weapons like spears, tridents, halberds, pikes, rifles are ill suited for surviving such an encounter.  (In addition a shafted (or barrelled) weapon can be grabbed and held while someone stabs or clubs you,

Edited by Tabonga

1 minute ago, captmorgandrinker said:

A few fun facts-

A non-revolver handgun may not fire properly if you're jamming the barrel end into something or somebody.

When in really close proximity, a head butt is VERY effective.   Even more effective?   Six in a row.

I know the latter from seeing it first hand and the former from it happening in town and hearing about that from responding officers.   

You aren't kidding about head butts. Especially to the bridge of the nose.

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, MachineCode said:

You aren't kidding about head butts. Especially to the bridge of the nose.

Yep.  These dudes were face to face in a crowd (not far enough away from each other to throw a punch).   Dude 1 recognizing this fact spits in dude 2's face.   Dude 2 leans his head back and cracks dude 1 with SIX headbutts in a row.   Sounded like 2 bowling balls, and he absolutely destroyed dude 1's nose.

• Wow! 1

2 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Yep.  These dudes were face to face in a crowd (not far enough away from each other to throw a punch).   Dude 1 recognizing this fact spits in dude 2's face.   Dude 2 leans his head back and cracks dude 1 with SIX headbutts in a row.   Sounded like 2 bowling balls, and he absolutely destroyed dude 1's nose.

Ouch. That just sounds like one of those things that sounds horrible and is in reality even worse.

Edited by MachineCode

3 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

If I'm an innocent bystander, I think I'd worry far less about accidental death by baton than accidental death by AR-15.

Obviously some featherweight lady engaged in the melee is far deadlier with her baton than stray bullets from an AR15 fired haphazardly into the fray!

Otherwise there is no way that some random Colorado public code would ban batons but allow open carry of firearms!

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MachineCode said:

Because nobody can do the same to your arm or baton?

You arm is closer to you and you have not only your weapon but also likely a shield -so both arms are going to be hard to grab.  Same is true of hand weapons - they are much closer to you. NIghtsticks and batons are naturally slippery since they are cylindrical.  And batons are tapered - makes them even easier to pull out of someone else's hand.

1 minute ago, Tabonga said:

NIghtsticks and batons are naturally slippery since they are cylindrical.  And batons are tapered - makes them even easier to pull out of someone else's hand.

I still don't see where either of them can fire bullets 3,251 feet per second to deliver 1300 foot pounds of kinetic energy.

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, MachineCode said:

Ouch. That just sounds like one of those things that sounds horrible and is in reality even worse.

Yep.  Right up there with the sound of a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula.    Imagine about a six inch thick piece of celery snapping, and you're pretty close sound-wise.

• Wow! 1

9 minutes ago, MachineCode said:

I still don't see where either of them can fire bullets 3,251 feet per second to deliver 1300 foot pounds of kinetic energy.

Never bring a gun to a knife fight.

Never bring a rifle to a melee fight.

Everything has its own time and place.

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

As a side note -- it is a bit interesting that there hasn't seemed to ever been a meaningful challenge to the unconstitutionality of banning melee weapons.

Well goddammit if I can’t LARP in public then what is this whole country even for anyway?

Still not sure what this dude was doing:

45C75C3D-D671-40C7-BAC7-6EE4E5627AD1.jpeg

2 hours ago, MachineCode said:

Just to clarify, by palette swap, which changes an entity's color in a game, I in no way meant antifa or political association, but the color of the actors involved. Same scenario, same "cause", same actions, same guns, majority made up of people of color. I get that Michigan has open carry laws, but states with open carry laws also have laws against using that right in an attempt to intimidate or assert ones will over another. Furthermore, and this might just not be the law in Michigan so I am actually not sure the legal ramifications, but in many jurisdictions, it is currently illegal to intentionally attempt to spread, or threaten to spread the covid-19 infection. By getting right up in the officer's faces unmasked, and screaming at them, they absolutely risk spreading the infection if they currently have it. Certain jurisdictions would see that as 1 of the aforementioned offenses and a cause for arrest.

So, an armed mob storming a capitol building in an attempt to directly intimidate the Governor, let's repeat that part just to let it set in, the Governor, into lifting a statewide order, while acting in a manner that absolutely will put state officials and law enforcement at risk of infection during a pandemic should any one of them be an asymptomatic carrier is allowed to carry on without repercussion. My previous comment implied that were this same mob not white, the outcome would have been very different.

Just saw this on FB and couldn't stop giggling at it, figured it was relevant to this thread of conversation and couldn't resist sharing.

95501014_10158382598093619_7068568806804684800_o.thumb.jpg.23dcf9b2dd1dfbdb3ee850f86c6870f7.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Strangest said:

Well goddammit if I can’t LARP in public then what is this whole country even for anyway?

Still not sure what this dude was doing:

45C75C3D-D671-40C7-BAC7-6EE4E5627AD1.jpeg

Correct me if I'm wrong but swords are not nearly as useful/effective/practical/whatever in real life as they are in video games.

Edited by Estil

3 hours ago, Tabonga said:

The big difference is that in a classical melee (or pell mell if you want to go old skool) ...

How would you rate that against a donnybrook? 😛

I'll admit, your "if you want to go old school" comment had me curious enough to look up both "melee" and "pell mell" to find the first known use -- neither are anywhere near as old as I would have thought, given the context of how melee gets used in popular fantasy.

Melee -- first known use 1658  (confused struggle - especially hand-to-hand combat)

Pell Mell - first used to refer to combat in 1594 by Shakespeare. (originally "pelmel" dating to 1579 and meant a "disorganized retreat")

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

How would you rate that against a donnybrook? 😛

I'll admit, your "if you want to go old school" comment had me curious enough to look up both "melee" and "pell mell" to find the first known use -- neither are anywhere near as old as I would have thought, given the coto ntext of how melee gets used in popular fantasy.

Melee -- first known use 1658  (confused struggle - especially hand-to-hand combat)

Pell Mell - first used to refer to combat in 1594 by Shakespeare. (originally "pelmel" dating to 1579 and meant a "disorganized retreat")

Well a donnybrook was originally an organized disorganized (if that makes any sense whatsoever) event tied to a specific location/time so originally while a donnybrook could be a melee a melee could only be a donnybrook if it occurred at Donnybrook Fair.   And you could maybe write a song about it like this "Are you going to Donnybrook Fair"*.

Although melees could be organized disorganized events (if we believe the bit about the opposite sides meeting in advance to set ground rules in "Gangs of New York").  

More likely melees** would occur as the result of too much alcohol*** and would therefore be unplanned (well not the alcohol drinking part).  Where as the real Donnybrooks would be planned for both.

*With apologies to Simon and Garfunkel.

**Well non military planned ones at any rate.

**Who knows why Europeans (even children) drank so much alcohol up until fairly recent times?