IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

49 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I don't think anyone is disputing that. My point is that we need to worry about resolution and what we are doing now. When someone complains about a politicians response you say don't blame them, blame China and the WHO. So why not blame them when someone coughs on you? I think my point is clear. It's silly not to be angry with someone for handling a situation poorly. Such as standing to close to you and coughing on you. Or ignoring warnings, making ridiculous suggestions, or basically any of the actions taken by a politician.

China and the WHO did not have an effect on us over here, as we did not listen to them. Last I looked, there's about 200 cases left here, there were some announcements that we might be home free by June.

I just feel it is extremely unfair to criticize and single out a leader that you hated before the whole pandemic began, when he was not responsible for the pandemic, nor was he responsible for all of the false information initially provided, essentially by people trying to downplay the situation. Similarly, are other world leaders really doing so much better? From some people I've talked to, not really. 

We are all free to like or dislike political leaders and their actions, but let's face it, no matter what the current leader did, you'd find some fault with it, as you've made it clear time and time again that you can't stand him as president. 

I guess on that point we're similar though, as if the WHO and China somehow waved a wand and set everything back to normal, tomorrow, I'd probably still take issue.

I don't think there's anything else for us to discuss on this.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted

Since there was some discussion about guidance for essential activities, I wanted to link this list from the CDC.  They discuss recommendations for things like grocery shopping, banking, etc.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/essential-goods-services.html

Additionally, the guidance I've been reading from multiple places, including instructions from our governor, has been:

1.  Try to order online or do delivery if you can.
2.  If you need to go to the store, plan ahead with specific lists of what you need.
3.  Take as few people as possible (ideally just one person from a household).  
4.  Get in to the store, get your items quickly, and get out.
5.  Pay with cashless options if available, and use sanitizer often.
6.  Engage in social distancing at all times and to the fullest extent possible.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

So yeah, hold a group and government accountable. People still have to be held accountable here as well, the virus is here. Nothing can be done about that now. People/shoppers need to be more aware of what the fuck is going on around them and be responsible human beings. Have some respect for the majority of people at a time of crisis. Thinking of just yourself right now is the absolute worst thing any of us can do. 

Even though the situation is comparatively good and "normal" where I'm at, I'm definitely in your camp @Richardhead , regarding everyone trying to be responsible human beings. We have a three-day weekend coming up, probably half the island will go to the beach. It's frustrating, as everyone is too relaxed here, and all it takes is one asymptomatic person for all shit to hit the fan.

For that reason, it's why aside from cycling, I basically just head to work and then head home, I'd rather make small sacrifices of my own doing than be stuck in a lockdown.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

So yeah, hold a group and government accountable. People still have to be held accountable here as well, the virus is here. Nothing can be done about that now. People/shoppers need to be more aware of what the fuck is going on around them and be responsible human beings. Have some respect for the majority of people at a time of crisis. Thinking of just yourself right now is the absolute worst thing any of us can do. 

Exactly my point. Sorry if you missed the sarcasm.

Edited by CodysGameRoom
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I just feel it is extremely unfair to criticize and single out a leader that you hated before the whole pandemic began, when he was not responsible for the pandemic, nor was he responsible for all of the false information initially provided, essentially by people trying to downplay the situation. Similarly, are other world leaders really doing so much better? From some people I've talked to, not really. 

Why is it unfair? A CEO takes full responsibility for what happens within his company. A store manager takes full responsibility for what happens within their store. Part of the role of president is accepting that you are the face of a country and you will be held accountable for the response and reaction of what happens within. 

17 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

We are all free to like or dislike political leaders and their actions, but let's face it, no matter what the current leader did, you'd find some fault with it, as you've made it clear time and time again that you can't stand him as president. 

I promise you that if Trump handled this situation as best as he possibly could, I would admit it and happy about it. I don't want a shitty president man. I want one who can be respected and does things the right way.

When it comes down to it, I guess you can debate what is fair and what isn't. But you can't really debate the fact that a president is held accountable. That is literally the job and being criticized for how well or poor the job is being done is part of the job. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

Since you didn't respond an ounce towards what I said with respect to the environment, then I guess keep doing what you're doing with your self-perspective thinking.  If you wanna get into politics, try someone else, we all know public officials have heavily encouraged us to stay at home, shop only for essentials, and they do suggest 1 person to shop to limit exposure where possible.  It makes sense if you're a carrier and don't realize it - that's the legit horror of this virus.

Hello - exposure/time - where do you think this would occur - maybe the environment of the grocery store?  

Ok - guess what - we do limit our shopping - glad you know how we live so well.  Please mow the lawn while you are monitoring us  I will give the math again if you didn't grasp it - by going together (and working in tandem) we spend less time in total in the store environment then one person would on their own - less total time less exposure you know where.

Politics?  I don't see how I introduced that at all.  I did make a statement regarding the "mysterious"(and dare I repeat omnipresent)  they (which you actually introduced) but I merely asked who they were - doesn't seem terribly political to me. 

Were they the same they* that early on in this mess said that face masks were not terribly efficacious in a non clinical setting?

*And "they" are not always right.

Edited by Tabonga

19 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Why is it unfair? A CEO takes full responsibility for what happens within his company. A store manager takes full responsibility for what happens within their store. Part of the role of president is accepting that you are the face of a country and you will be held accountable for the response and reaction of what happens within. 

I promise you that if Trump handled this situation as best as he possibly could, I would admit it and happy about it. I don't want a shitty president man. I want one who can be respected and does things the right way.

When it comes down to it, I guess you can debate what is fair and what isn't. But you can't really debate the fact that a president is held accountable. That is literally the job and being criticized for how well or poor the job is being done is part of the job. 

There's no point in discussing this with you, your political stances are clear, from here and numerous other posts, nothing more for me to say on the matter. 

Edited by fcgamer
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Hello - exposure/time - where do you think this would occur - maybe the environment of the grocery store?  

Ok - guess what - we do limit our shopping - glad you know how we live so well.  Please mow the lawn while you are monitoring us  I will give the math again if you didn't grasp it - by going together (and working in tandem) we spend less time in total in the store environment then one person would on their own - less total time less exposure you know where.

Politics?  I don't see how I introduced that at all.  I did make a statement regarding the "mysterious"(and dare I repeat omnipresent)  they (which you actually introduced) but I merely asked who they were - doesn't seem terribly political to me. 

Were they the same they that early on in this mess said that face masks were not terribly efficacious in a non clinical setting?

Yikes.  It's only 11:25am on a Monday, calm down mate.  Do what you do, argue with what you want, hope you and Mrs. Tabonga don't get sick.  I ain't got time to respond further to that kind of ridiculousness.

1 minute ago, Boosted52405 said:

Yikes.  It's only 11:25am on a Monday, calm down mate.  Do what you do, argue with what you want, hope you and Mrs. Tabonga don't get sick.  I ain't got time to respond further to that kind of ridiculousness.

I am calm otherwise I would likely be using invective in a creative way  - I am just pointing out flaws  in what you saying.  You can respond  in a meaningful way, hurl cheap (and unsubstantiated IMHO - but call me biased if you like) insults or (as you implied)  spend your time more productively.  Your call obviously.  

4 hours ago, Richardhead said:

Thanks for the clarification. I’ve been on edge lately and can’t always tell😁

Hey buddy, let me commiserate with you. I’m on edge too. I have never been the type to get stressed out — about anything — until now. I’m basically nervous and anxious all the time. Getting normal sick knocks me on my ass. Millions of people are out of work and small businesses are struggling or closing. Fascism is on the rise in many places around the world. Supply lines may be disrupted. On top of all that people are flouting guidelines which will surely extend the pandemic. I’m terrified.

I’m still working on site too. We have taken some measures but we cannot clear out the building almost entirely like some have mentioned. Thank goodness we are not public-facing. But you are. I’m sorry. 

I now know what it’s like to lack security. I had sympathy for people living in poverty before. But in a very short time I have experienced a bit of what they go through for years, whole lives in some cases. The constant feeling of not knowing what is going to happen next, or where or how things are gonna end up. 

All we can do is soldier on and wash our hands.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Link said:

Hey buddy, let me commiserate with you. I’m on edge too. I have never been the type to get stressed out — about anything — until now. I’m basically nervous and anxious all the time. Getting normal sick knocks me on my ass. Millions of people are out of work and small businesses are struggling or closing. Fascism is on the rise in many places around the world. Supply lines may be disrupted. On top of all that people are flouting guidelines which will surely extend the pandemic. I’m terrified.

I’m still working on site too. We have taken some measures but we cannot clear out the building almost entirely like some have mentioned. Thank goodness we are not public-facing. But you are. I’m sorry. 

I now know what it’s like to lack security. I had sympathy for people living in poverty before. But in a very short time I have experienced a bit of what they go through for years, whole lives in some cases. The constant feeling of not knowing what is going to happen next, or where or how things are gonna end up. 

All we can do is soldier on and wash our hands.

This is the core of the situation - everybody is lacking some form of security, be it physical, mental, financial or some combination of these factors. There is no obvious clarity on how things will play out.

Health workers are feeling more physical threat from the Covid19 as well as the mental strain on seeing more sick/dying. Workers/employers are losing jobs or cutting back on work hours and less overall financial security, and increasing mental stress as the lockdown phase continues on. 

This is now a time where we all need to work together to help get through this mess. And the quicker we get through it, we will all benefit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Link said:

Lorna Breen, the emergency medical director at Presbyterian-Allen Hospital in NYC, committed suicide. 

Mental illness is no joke. It’s a silent killer just as much as any virus attack. Just an additional thought, with doctors and waiting rooms being more preoccupied with this pandemic management, I wonder what the level of impact this will have on the patients currently suffering from mental illness? I can imagine less will be willing to seek professional help, despite potentially more will be suffering from a mental decline. 

2 minutes ago, GPX said:

Mental illness is no joke. It’s a silent killer just as much as any virus attack. Just an additional thought, with doctors and waiting rooms being more preoccupied with this pandemic management, I wonder what the level of impact this will have on the patients currently suffering from mental illness? I can imagine less will be willing to seek professional help, despite potentially more will be suffering from a mental decline. 

I wonder how hard it will be to convince my therapist that my dry hands are from my diligent hand washing during a worldwide pandemic and not my usual crippling OCD-handwashing? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Link said:

Lorna Breen, the emergency medical director at Presbyterian-Allen Hospital in NYC, committed suicide. 

And that's just one that we know of.  I mean who knows how many others are being driven to their mental/emotional limits if not well past their breaking point.  I mean this line of work is already plenty stressful enough (and I honestly didn't know how they do it even before this whole virus thing happened) and the added pressure knowing that they CAN'T "just stay at home" because so many are counting on them and of course they don't want to let their patients down.

6 hours ago, GPX said:

Mental illness is no joke. It’s a silent killer just as much as any virus attack. 

Both myself and my wife are legally disabled (SSDI) for just that reason (as for the details of how it got that way it's a very long story).  In my wife's case though she has just as many if not more physical disability issues too.  Hence why she sadly must be in a nursing home now. 😞 

On 4/27/2020 at 1:09 PM, The Strangest said:

I miss my expensive/unnecessary cafe coffees. I know I can still get them to go but since I live with immunocompromised people I’ve decided those coffees aren’t worth risking their lives over. And it’s nice to save that money.

My coffees suck.

What's wrong with just making regular Folgers or Maxwell House or something in a regular home coffee maker?

4 minutes ago, Estil said:

What's wrong with just making regular Folgers or Maxwell House or something in a regular home coffee maker?

I personally have my own stash of gourmet beans, and can crank out a good coffee in my apartment if I want. Perhaps he just enjoys better tasting coffee than those?

1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

I personally have my own stash of gourmet beans, and can crank out a good coffee in my apartment if I want. Perhaps he just enjoys better tasting coffee than those?

Honestly I think those "designer coffees" are kinda weird.

Just now, fcgamer said:

No matter what I'm drinking, it's gotta be black. I've heard people in Singapore are in dire straits now, unable to get their bubble milk tea fix

Just like Captain Kathryn Janeway right? 🙂  I have to have three spoonfuls of sugar in my mug.

2 hours ago, Estil said:

There’s nothing inherently wrong with it, I just can’t get it to taste right myself.

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

No matter what I'm drinking, it's gotta be black. I've heard people in Singapore are in dire straits now, unable to get their bubble milk tea fix

I had gotten a coffee at a Preds game once (stupid idea because they’re expensive as hell there, but I wanted one). And I put cream in it. Some old lady approached me from behind and said “Oh so you just wanted coffee flavored cream I see.” with a look on her face like she was proud of herself for using that completely original line. I looked at her and said “Ma’am at $6 a cup I’ll put spider eggs in it if I want to.” and walked away. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Strangest said:

There’s nothing inherently wrong with it, I just can’t get it to taste right myself.

I had gotten a coffee at a Preds game once (stupid idea because they’re expensive as hell there, but I wanted one). And I put cream in it. Some old lady approached me from behind and said “Oh so you just wanted coffee flavored cream I see.” with a look on her face like she was proud of herself for using that completely original line. I looked at her and said “Ma’am at $6 a cup I’ll put spider eggs in it if I want to.” and walked away. 

Julie Andrews: SPIDERS!?!?!?

(sorry I can't find the YT clip)