IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

It becomes a matter of deciding where the fulcrum rests between keeping things locked up and repairing the economy lies.  At some point it becomes a matter of destroying the village to save the village.*  And if people want to continue to hunker down they can do that - I am sure there will be cottage industries devoted to helping them achieve that goal. 

Estimates of any sort are often dubious since they are perforce subject to a lot of measuring of factors that may be flawed in one way or another.  Look at how the estimates of the number of already infected keeps rising as more testing is done (which also drops the mortality rate (and cases needing serious intervention) - which indicates this thing has likely been in the country longer than previously believed.

The other gorilla in the room is the ratio of deaths occurring in residential care facilities - I have not been able to find any national stats, but some of the reports I have seen indicate that it may be in the 40-50% range* Which means that maybe is where the focus should be on keeping people isolated.  Instead we have at least two states putting coronavirus patients in them - really stupid IMHO since you have really vulnerable populations there and those facilities generally are not set up/equipped to really deal with this type of situation.

*Also bear in mind that I am probably the most vulnerable person here (in terms of getting a nasty/possibly fatal case of this thing.  But I also grew up in an era where we lived under the omnipresent threat (I got to do those nifty duck and cover drills - also saw those neat air raid shelter signs plastered everywhere) of nuclear annihilation - you soon learned not to let those fears dominate your life (and more importantly your psyche).

**Which is in no way out of line with the European experience.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/13/half-of-coronavirus-deaths-happen-in-care-homes-data-from-eu-suggests

Edited by Tabonga

I think a good majority of people blew it off because of last past experiences with the swine flu, sars and related illnesses. I think another red flag that was when the Chinese were buying up any anything related to masks and facial coverings. We live and we live but we had learned the hard way and paid the price for it.

2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Heh - looks like someone didn't believe in their own advice:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/uk-scientist-health-secretary-speechless-coronavirus-tryst

CCB7310E-FB9B-4886-97E1-6F46A2C120A7.jpeg

****(James Wong is a fantastic follow if you’re a nerd for plant science, plant physiology, nutrition, and agricultural science like I am.)

Edited by The Strangest
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jonebone said:

They've already documented the mutations so this is probably going to be a recurring thing for the rest of our lives.  My daughter had Flu A this year and I won't be surprised if we come up with COVID19 A, B, C in later years.  Those hoping and praying for a vaccine with 100% effectiveness are in for a rude disappointment.

The mutations happen 10-50x slower than influenza. Also, coronavirus in general mutate to be less deadly and more contagious. The goal is to vaccinate for the most deadly strain(s)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Estil said:

So it's finally come to this at some of the Wendy's places...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/wendys-meat-shortage-menu-items-removed

(Why do they have to use the "claims" qualifier?  I worked at Wendy's in the late 90s and they really do use fresh ground beef)

There were a few Wendy’s in Louisville with this issue. It was on the news this morning. I saw a sigh in Kroger recommending the Impossible burger as an alternative. Kroger now has a limit of 2 meat items total. 

27 minutes ago, themisfit138 said:

There were a few Wendy’s in Louisville with this issue. It was on the news this morning. I saw a sigh in Kroger recommending the Impossible burger as an alternative. Kroger now has a limit of 2 meat items total. 

We went to Sam's Club yesterday and they were out of all frozen hamburger patties,  They had plenty of their version of the impossible burger.  I generously left them for others.

I went to Safeway today and they had no shortage of frozen hamburger patties.  No signs that I noticed limiting purchases - I just got one package since that was all we needed for the weekend.  

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, Doctornick said:

I give up on this thread for now, if you're going to be out and about please stay safe people.  Remember it's a million times better to take too many precautions than not enough, and double those precautions if you have kids.

Meh, why would the internet believe an actual doctor over some dude-bro that heard a conspiracy theory on how China wanted to sink our economy with this?

29 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Meh, why would the internet believe an actual doctor over some dude-bro that heard a conspiracy theory on how China wanted to sink our economy with this?

Anybody who uses the word sheeple is the level above MD/DO/PharmD.  My wife shows me her Facebook and it literally makes me sick/piss myself laughing.

Administrator · Posted
24 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

Anybody who uses the word sheeple is the level above MD/DO/PharmD.  My wife shows me her Facebook and it literally makes me sick/piss myself laughing.

Some of it is hilarious, and then you see people that you used to think were intelligent spewing some of the worst kinds of nonsense.

15 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Some of it is hilarious, and then you see people that you used to think were intelligent spewing some of the worst kinds of nonsense.

Yeah that's the sad part.  It usually is people who know better too.  It's getting to be on par with the anti vaxxer level of stupid.

• Like 2

63A0C2C2-72BB-4321-86F0-654EEDEE4B62.jpeg

(As someone who has spent most of my time in the agricultural science field, I live this hell in the current life. You wouldn’t believe how emotional and uninformed people get about their food. And how many salesmen use scare tactics on gullible consumers.)

Edited by The Strangest

25 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

63A0C2C2-72BB-4321-86F0-654EEDEE4B62.jpeg

(As someone who has spent most of my time in the agricultural science field, I live this hell in the current life. You wouldn’t believe how emotional and uninformed people get about their food. And how many salesmen use scare tactics on gullible consumers.)

Heh - look at people's continual fascination/obsession with bottled water.  I have yet to figure out why people were hoarding bottled water early in this mess - if we were to get to the point where municipal water systems were experiencing widespread failures we are going to be facing  far more serious societal concerns (of all sorts) than  the coronavirus. 

Edited by Tabonga

5 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Heh - look at people's continual fascination/obsession with bottled water.  I have yet to figure out why people were hoarding bottled water early in this mess - if we were to get to the point where municipal water systems are experiencing widespread failures we are going to be facing  far more serious societal concerns (of all sorts) than  the coronavirus. 

Lol, you should have heard the conversation I had with my mom over the phone a few months ago.

Her: “We need to stop drinking tap and switch exclusively to bottled water.”

Me: “Why?”

Her: “It has cHeMiCaLs in it!”

Me: “Name just one. One chemical that’s in the tap water. Whoever scared you with this ought to have given you the necessary info to investigate for yourself if the claims are valid.”

Her: “... um, oh yeah. He did mention chlorine.”

Me: “Chlorine is not a chemical.”

Her: “Well it’s still something you shouldn’t ever ingest!”

Me: “There’s chlorine in your table salt.”

Edited by The Strangest

Just now, The Strangest said:

Lol, you should have heard the conversation I had with my mom over the phone a few months ago.

Her: “We need to stop drinking tap and switch exclusively to bottled water.”

Me: “Why?”

Her: “It has cHeMiCaLs in it!”

Me: “Name just one. One chemical that’s in the tap water. Whoever scared you with this ought to have given you the necessary info to investigate for yourself if the claims are valid.”

Her: “... um, oh yeah. He did mention chlorine.”

Me: “Chlorine is not a chemical.”

I once had a friend who continually extolled the virtues of perrier and insisted I had to try.one.  Tasted like water in  a fancy bottle to me.

I once offered to sell someone the glacier that her bottled water supposedly came from. 

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

Heh - look at people's continual fascination/obsession with bottled water.  I have yet to figure out why people were hoarding bottled water early in this mess - if we were to get to the point where municipal water systems were experiencing widespread failures we are going to be facing  far more serious societal concerns (of all sorts) than  the coronavirus. 

The water limit sucked.   We use 6 gallons of spring water a week on our fish tanks, and it was a pain in the dick to get that when you're limited to two gallons at a time for purchase.

5 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

The water limit sucked.   We use 6 gallons of spring water a week on our fish tanks, and it was a pain in the dick to get that when you're limited to two gallons at a time for purchase.

Yeah that definitely blows. Some places are pretty strict with it too. When i had my 120 gallon saltwater tank i had a RODI setup because i got tired of lugging 5 gallon buckets all the time. Well worth the money, especially considering water is included in my condo fee. 

7 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

You were an innocent victim of mob hysteria. I wonder how many people blew money they really didn't have buying up large stocks of whatnot.

4 minutes ago, Link said:

You joke, but fluoridation is one of the most monstrously conceived and dangerous plots we have ever had to face.

I am going to assume you are jesting since you don't seem to be a likely sort to be in agreement with Robert W. Welch Jr, on anything.  

Edited by Tabonga