IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

13 hours ago, GPX said:

Mental illness is no joke. It’s a silent killer just as much as any virus attack. Just an additional thought, with doctors and waiting rooms being more preoccupied with this pandemic management, I wonder what the level of impact this will have on the patients currently suffering from mental illness? I can imagine less will be willing to seek professional help, despite potentially more will be suffering from a mental decline. 

I don’t really think so. People who need mental help at a crisis level are not going to have that need interrupted by this, especially those who require emergency room intervention. I talk to or about them at work daily. Those who need help at a lower level, such as weekly therapy appointments while largely maintaining a relatively functional life... if that’s what you mean I can see it, but some can continue that by phone or remote video. 

I’m not sure if you were speaking tangentially about suicide or specifically about Dr Breen, but in case of the latter I would like to point out that she had no history of mental illness. She simply succumbed to extensive and repeated trauma, which is not possible to process while it is still going on. 

As far as more suffering decline, I’m here.

14 hours ago, The Strangest said:

I wonder how hard it will be to convince my therapist that my dry hands are from my diligent hand washing during a worldwide pandemic and not my usual crippling OCD-handwashing? 

I think the above is subtle dry humour?

Though I think it’s a very interesting point of discussion. The goalposts have shifted - what used to be “excessive handwashing” might be labelled “OCD”; now it might be seen as normal and “sensible” (if OCD is derived from germophobia).

8 minutes ago, Link said:

I don’t really think so. People who need mental help at a crisis level are not going to have that need interrupted by this, especially those who require emergency room intervention. I talk to or about them at work daily. Those who need help at a lower level, such as weekly therapy appointments while largely maintaining a relatively functional life... if that’s what you mean I can see it, but some can continue that by phone or remote video. 

I’m not sure if you were speaking tangentially about suicide or specifically about Dr Breen, but in case of the latter I would like to point out that she had no history of mental illness. She simply succumbed to extensive and repeated trauma, which is not possible to process while it is still going on. 

As far as more suffering decline, I’m here.

I was talking more broadly with respect to mental illness, but also from reading up on some recent articles on Dr Breen. With regard to her specific situation, no past history of mental illness is almost irrelevant. The traumas and lives lost that she would have experienced during this pandemic I can imagine it would be similar to war-time traumas with witnessing so many deaths at a given time. It was also mentioned that she also had caught the Covid19 itself, and perhaps there was some physical exhaustion taking place as well as the mental traumas. Seems like this had triggered a Major Depression for her and unfortunate complications arising from further mental decline.

Health workers on the frontline are likely to be impacted in general with increasing stress and perhaps triggering a mental illness (like in the case of Dr Breen) or having a flare-up if already having a past history. 

Regarding my main point in the previous post, I was talking a general decline in mental health among the public is a general prediction, and this would be inconvenienced heavily due to doctors having to focus more on the pandemic’s physical threat. Also, the general public perhaps might be less willing to spend too much time with health professionals because of fear of potential exposure of the Covid19, with possible less intimating of their mental strains.

TLDR - the physical impacts of the Covid19 is there for all to see, but what will be its mental impacts, globally?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GPX said:

Though I think it’s a very interesting point of discussion. The goalposts have shifted - what used to be “excessive handwashing” might be labelled “OCD”; now it might be seen as normal and “sensible” (if OCD is derived from germophobia).

It’s subtle dry humor but also an actual point of discussion.

I’ve been told there’s “no way” I’ll get the virus because I already wash my hands obsessively (which I know isn’t necessarily true). But in reality I’ve just added more handwashing on top of what I already did.

And yes my OCD is germaphobia derived. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say I’ve always had OCD and the germaphobia thrived in it.

• Like 1

And as of a few hours ago when I last checked, no arrests had been made. An armed group storming the capitol to the point where the Governor is barricaded in her office, and the police barely put up a fight and no arrests are made. I betcha if the group had undergone a palette swap, if you catch my drift, there'd not only be arrests but also people dead while the media called them terrorists or radicals rather than protestors.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MachineCode said:

And as of a few hours ago when I last checked, no arrests had been made. An armed group storming the capitol to the point where the Governor is barricaded in her office, and the police barely put up a fight and no arrests are made. I betcha if the group had undergone a palette swap, if you catch my drift, there'd not only be arrests but also people dead while the media called them terrorists or radicals rather than protestors.

Before jumping to conclusions, is the Michigan State capital a public building? Also, does Michigan also have open carry laws? Let's not jump to conclusions if they were being law abiding. If they had a right to be there and a right to open carry, then they weren't doing anything wrong.

That being said, this virus is real. So many of these protesters would have a different tune if and when the virus takes out mom and dad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MachineCode said:

Likely not - police in way too many jurisdictions are amazingly negligent  when the antifa rabble shows their faces (well sorta since they were fashion forward on the whole face mask thing!! - but I am sure you get the drift).

https://www.newsweek.com/why-portland-police-stand-passively-when-leftists-riot-1489799

It isn't just Portland as this sort of crap has happened in other cities. It isn't the police who decide to stand down (even when innocent people get physically assaulted) - the police are essentially paramilitary and have to do whatever the lily-livered elected officials tell them to do.

On 4/29/2020 at 2:36 AM, GPX said:

Our governor cleverly wanted to see everyone's dry and chapped hands to show they were being good little citizens.  If you have chapped hands you have created a bunch of nifty little nooks/crannies/highways for any virus to enter your body.

2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Likely not - police in way too many jurisdictions are amazingly negligent  when the antifa rabble shows their faces (well sorta since they were fashion forward on the whole face mask thing!! - but I am sure you get the drift).

https://www.newsweek.com/why-portland-police-stand-passively-when-leftists-riot-1489799

It isn't just Portland as this sort of crap has happened in other cities. It isn't the police who decide to stand down (even when innocent people get physically assaulted) - the police are essentially paramilitary and have to do whatever the lily-livered elected officials tell them to do.

The first couple pictures of those "leftist riots" look awfully white... (and while they may be "rabble" and rioting in the street they aren't open carrying in government buildings -- or carrying firearms at all)

Let's clear it up... he isn't talking about political affiliation, he's saying if the armed protesters were black it probably would have been handled with a bit less tolerance.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

The first couple pictures of those "leftist riots" look awfully white... (and while they may be "rabble" and rioting in the street they aren't open carrying in government buildings -- or carrying firearms at all)

Let's clear it up... he isn't talking about political affiliation, he's saying if the armed protesters were black it probably would have been handled with a bit less tolerance.

I don't know if antifa is restricted to any one race - do you?  Sometimes they look like there are more than a few non-whites - but I don't specifically keep count - I am more interested in what they are doing than who they are genetically.  There was one incident in Portland where they took over a street (which is publicly owned) rerouted traffic, trashed cars and beat some people who were just driving through.  And antifa seem to be more than willing to carry non firearm weapons which can kill just as readily.  

If you want to go there have been of armed (albeit with nightsticks) New Black Panther Party members appearing at polling places (which pretty much qualifies as a defacto government building for the nonce).  Not only were they not chased off/arrested  but subsequent charges were dismissed by Holder despite the fact that the New Black Panther Party did not contest the charges - hardly the boot heel of racial oppression being applied,

The final resolution of the Alcatraz (undeniably a government installation with government buildings - yes?) occupation by some Native Americans didn't involve a bloodbath (nor violence of any sort IIRC) . And in fact it was allowed to go on for 19 months - hardly a rush to impose the aforementioned boot heel.

Basically the idea that the perpetrators of whatever "outrage" generally seem to not face violent reactions from the authorities.

(This likely needs to go to the politics thread since it has spun off,  But that is up to the powers that be.)

Edited by Tabonga

11 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I don't know if antifa is restricted to any one race - do you?  Sometimes they look like there are more than a few non-whites - but I don't specifically keep count - I am more interested in what they are doing than who they are genetically.  There was one incident in Portland where they took over a street (which is publicly owned) rerouted traffic, trashed cars and beat some people who were just driving through.  And antifa seem to be more than willing to carry non firearm weapons which can kill just as readily.  

If you want to go there have been of armed (albeit with nightsticks) New Black Panther Party members appearing at polling places (which pretty much qualifies as a defacto government building for the nonce).  Not only were they not chased off/arrested  but subsequent charges were dismissed by Holder despite the fact that the New Black Panther Party did not contest the charges - hardly the boot heel of racial oppression being applied,

The final resolution of the Alcatraz (undeniably a government installation with government buildings - yes?) occupation by some Native Americans didn't involve a bloodbath (nor violence of any sort IIRC) . And in fact it was allowed to go on for 19 months - hardly a rush to impose the aforementioned boot heel.

Basically the idea that the perpetrators of whatever "outrage" generally seem to not face violent reactions from the authorities.

(This likely needs to go to the politics thread since it has spun off,  But that is up to the powers that be.)

I didn't say anything about antifa being restricted to a race, just that the particular link you provided as a counterpoint had absolutely nothing to do with the point of MachineCode's post based on the pictures, at least.

And "armed with nightsticks" is nowhere on the same level as protesting carrying firearms.  Equating the two is absurd.

But we can play the whataboutism game all day, I guess, if you want to be intentionally obtuse to what he was saying.

The fact is, armed protesters, whether legally carrying, or not, seems like a really stupid idea.

It serves no purpose other than to escalate the situation, and certainly does nothing productive in the current climate.

Edited by arch_8ngel

I just want to know if it’s balls or stupidity to scream in a military police officer’s face during a pandemic. Or, as a friend of mine put it, big, incredibly stupid balls.

That officer has likely subdued dudes 10 times tougher than that loser screaming his head off in the photo. Kudos to the officers, because I wouldn’t have the patience to sit there and potentially contract the virus/spread it to my family because Cletus thinks he’s a freedom fighter.

Administrator · Posted

I'm all for peaceful protesting and fighting for your rights, but gathering in large groups of people, very close together, and getting in innocent people's faces right now, is not just expressing one's own rights and freedoms -it is absolutely infringing on others and potentially putting them at risk, and I think that is inherently dangerous and selfish.

Peaceful protesting would imply not putting other people in danger.  And some of the protestors (not all, but some) are absolutely putting other people in danger, by not taking safe precautions, getting in people's faces, and not practicing the social distancing, just to name a few things.

I realize that people are frustrated, and angry, and some truly believe that government is overstepping bounds, but I don't think screaming in other people's faces is an appropriate way to express those frustrations.  I have never been a subscriber to the slippery concept of "we must break the law and cause destruction to get attention" sort of protesting.

I think that legislators and leaders are going to continue to struggle with balancing all of these things and trying to keep people safe but also allow as much personal freedom as possible.  I can only hope that there is no violence or severe consequences due to some of the outrage we are seeing.

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted
31 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

I just want to know if it’s balls or stupidity to scream in a military police officer’s face during a pandemic. Or, as a friend of mine put it, big, incredibly stupid balls.

No balls, just an unlimited amount of stupidity.   Anybody who does that has obviously never had their ass kicked in their life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

I didn't say anything about antifa being restricted to a race, just that the particular link you provided as a counterpoint had absolutely nothing to do with the point of MachineCode's post based on the pictures, at least.

And "armed with nightsticks" is nowhere on the same level as protesting carrying firearms.  Equating the two is absurd.

But we can play the whataboutism game all day, I guess, if you want to be intentionally obtuse to what he was saying.

Tsk! Tsk!

"The first couple pictures of those "leftist riots" look awfully white..."  Who said that?

I would have thought you knew what albeit meant.  

Especially if the "whataboutism" demonstrated contradicts what someone is saying ?  And maybe the "perception" of obtuse camouflages an inability to go  from point A to point C without having the natural progression to and from B laid out simply*

*.(An understanding and appreciation of formal logic makes this much easier.......)

2 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

No balls, just an unlimited amount of stupidity.   Anybody who does that has obviously never had their ass kicked in their life.

As long as you don't physically touch the cop or brandish a weapon, you can scream obscenities at them to your hearts content, knowing that if they lay hands on you and kick your ass, you'll potentially make bank in the resulting lawsuit... (though you'd need pretty substantial willpower to take the ass-kicking without accidentally/reflexively fighting back)

Edited by arch_8ngel

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

Tsk! Tsk!

"The first couple pictures of those "leftist riots" look awfully white..."  Who said that?

I would have thought you knew what albeit meant.  

Especially if the "whataboutism" demonstrated contradicts what someone is saying ?  And maybe the "perception" of obtuse camouflages an inability to go  from point A to point C without having the natural progression to and from B laid out simply*

*.(An understanding and appreciation of formal logic makes this much easier.......)

That "whataboutism" you posted didn't remotely contradict what he was saying, which is why I called it out as such.

I think it would make for an interesting forum poll of what percentage of people think night-stick carrying protesters are on the same level of firearm carrying protesters when it comes to the expectations of police response, both with and without racial elements considered.  

Edited by arch_8ngel

6 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

That "whataboutism" you posted didn't remotely contradict what he was saying, which is why I called it out as such.

I think it would make for an interesting forum poll of what percentage of people think night-stick carrying protesters are on the same level of firearm carrying protesters when it comes to the expectations of police response, both with and without racial elements considered.  

It showed that not only right wing (white protesters) get away with no repercussions.  (And if we go by the "one drop" rule (not that I really believe in it myself)  where does that put antifa?

It would if was an accurate poll (actually you would need two to get meaningful results)

Can a nightstick be as deadly as a firearm in the hands of a protester? (No need for excess verbiage - the old kiss adage applies here.

1, Yes

2. No

The second question would be:

Can a protester using a cudgel (lets broaden this out) be as much of a threat as someone with a firearrm?  (No need to clutter it up with unnecessary verbiage._)

1. In certain circumstances (such as close melee) yes.

2 Never.

Edited by Tabonga

Administrator · Posted
32 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

As long as you don't physically touch the cop or brandish a weapon, you can scream obscenities at them to your hearts content, knowing that if they lay hands on you and kick your ass, you'll potentially make bank in the resulting lawsuit... (though you'd need pretty substantial willpower to take the ass-kicking without accidentally/reflexively fighting back)

The "never had your ass kicked" part refers to life in general.    From being a bouncer before, you can tell in general by the way people behave if they've taken an ass whooping from somebody at some point, not necessarily a cop.

And these days, if you're close enough to inflict spittle as you yell, that's enough reason for someone to use physical force on you.   I guarantee somebody gets in my face these days I will react appropriately, not stand there and take it.   Hopefully the military guys had riot shields.