IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

21 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Dude.

But ol’ Natty is the last person here I would have expected to miss that, and I don’t believe he did. Welch was a strident anti-communist, and a cursory web search seems to indicate he never had anything notable to say about water or fluoridation.

Edited by Link

Never one of my favorite movies (I did like Slim Picken's exit though) so not surprising I missed it without quotes.

Fifth paragraph down:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/07/16/the-john-birch-society-is-alive-and-well-in-the-lone-star-state-215377

Since he was in firm control of the group until his death in 1985 anything they stood for would have had to been approved by him. Even as a young sapling I knew that the group was wack-a-doodle. The group's modern incarnation is trying to reform its image but I am more than a bit dubious.

I did like these though (they were invented by Welch)😘

130006-01_sugar-mama-candy-12-ounce-bag.jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

300px-Candy-Sugar-Daddy-Wrapper-Small.jpg

*Maybe as an attempt to counteract the effects of fluoride.  ^___^

Edited by Tabonga

4 hours ago, The Strangest said:

Her: “It has cHeMiCaLs in it!”

Oh that annoys me to know end...even more so when I hear people nickname the Miami Dolphins "The Fish"! 😛  Everything in the known universe is made up of some combination of those Periodic Table of Elements.  It is not possible for anything to have "No Chemicals"!!  I mean you can say "no harsh chemicals" or "no harmful chemicals" maybe but there's no such thing as something having no chemicals at all.

4 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Heh - look at people's continual fascination/obsession with bottled water.  I have yet to figure out why people were hoarding bottled water early in this mess - if we were to get to the point where municipal water systems were experiencing widespread failures we are going to be facing  far more serious societal concerns (of all sorts) than  the coronavirus. 

I consider Twitter the online equivalent of bottled water.  Just like how whoever first suggested the idea of bottled water was told that's stupid because you can get fountain/tap water for nothing or for a small water bill...whoever came up with the idea of Twitter was probably told that's a stupid idea this whole "140 (not 280) character limit per message was.  After all, why not just have an online blog that does the same thing and you can use all the characters/words you want?

Yet somehow not only was Twitter able to work, but no doubt our fearless leader hopes his Twittering will be sorta like how FDR used the fairly new format of radio to do his fireside chats.  And YES when radio and TV first came out they were not seen as a "serious" news source compared to newspapers and newsreels.

Edited by Estil

I'm losing it too.  Two young children in a two bedroom apartment and no where to go.  Trying to work 40-50 hours a week from home.  Days, weeks, months melt into each other.  Showers few and far between.  I'd give anything for a haircut right now.  My wife keeps begging for me to let her cut it.  No way.

4 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

I'd give anything for a haircut right now.  My wife keeps begging for me to let her cut it.  No way.

My wife has cut my hair for years and gotten pretty good at it.  Each time, I save enough money for a 6-pack or more of good beer.

In a spot of good news, golf courses in WA reopened this week.  Twosomes only, no benches, sand trap rakes, or other items that might be touched by other golfers.  No touching the flagstick.  No port-a-potties (but golf courses have lots of trees!), no hanging out in the clubhouse before or after.  But still, just getting out to play, see my friends, and get a little exercise was awesome!

49 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

I'm losing it too.  Two young children in a two bedroom apartment and no where to go.  Trying to work 40-50 hours a week from home.  Days, weeks, months melt into each other.  Showers few and far between.  I'd give anything for a haircut right now.  My wife keeps begging for me to let her cut it.  No way.

Don't worry - soon (at some unspecified point in time) it will be

"All Clear"

2 hours ago, tbone3969 said:

I can relate to this pretty hard, the melting comment felt like straight truth.  As a single Dad I've resorted to trying to cut my own hair, it's not going so hot lol.

The thought of this new normal being until 2021-until-vaccine-ish-ready is quite hard to digest.  This is going to have a lasting impact on so many levels - if this was found to be lab created sourced I'm thinking this is going to get n-a-s-t-y.

Edited by Boosted52405
Poor wording :)

40 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

I can relate to this pretty hard, the melting comment felt like straight truth.  As a single Dad I've resorted to trying to cut my own hair, it's not going so hot lol.

The thought of this new normal being until 2021-until-vaccine-ish-ready is quite hard to digest.  This is going to have a lasting impact on so many levels - if this was found to be lab created I'm thinking this is going to get n-a-s-t-y.

The "virus leaked from a lab" conspiracy floating around is an interesting one.  Even if it did leak from the lab in Wuhan (which is close to the wet market the virus originated from) that doesn't mean it was man made.  I believe they were studying viruses that come from bats in that lab.  Still made by mother nature.  So would we go to war over a country for having shitty lab regulations IF, and that's a huge IF, it leaked from that lab?  I still believe the scientists who have confirmed it came from an animal (the pangolin) which was infected from bats.

Either way would we really go to war with China?  I don't think so.  Mutual assured destruction keeps us in check.  Just more economic sanctions and tariffs and what not.  China owns our asses though.  We owe them over a trillion dollars in debt and they make all of our stuff.  They kind of have us by the balls, sadly.   😞

Edited by tbone3969

6 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

China owns our asses though.  We owe them trillions in debt and they make all of our stuff.  They kind of have us by the balls, sadly.   😞

I like the old adage:

When you owe the bank a million dollars, it's your problem.

When you own the bank a billion dollars, it's their problem.

(and for clarification, China only holds about 1.1 trillion in US debt, not "trillions" plural)

1 hour ago, tbone3969 said:

I'd give anything for a haircut right now.  My wife keeps begging for me to let her cut it.  No way.

No better time to let her hone her skills with a set of clippers than right now.

My wife has cut my hair for the last 15 years.  That is a lot of money saved...

3 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

I like the old adage:

When you owe the bank a million dollars, it's your problem.

When you own the bank a billion dollars, it's their problem.

(and for clarification, China only holds about 1.1 trillion in US debt, not "trillions" plural)

I think I see what you are saying with that quote.  I also should have originally said "more than a trillion dollars".

1 minute ago, tbone3969 said:

The "virus leaked from a lab" conspiracy floating around is an interesting one.  Even if it did leak from the lab in Wuhan (which is close to the wet market the virus originated from) that doesn't mean it was man made.  I believe they were studying viruses that come from bats in that lab.  Still made by mother nature.  So would we go to war over a country for having shitty lab regulations IF, and that a huge IF, it leaked from that lab?  I still believe the scientists who have confirmed it came from an animal (the pangolin) which was infected from bats.

Either way would we really go to war with China?  I don't think so.  Mutual assured destruction keeps us in check.  Just more economic sanctions and tarrifs and what not.  China owns our asses though.  We owe them trillions in debt and they make all of our stuff.  They kind of have us by the balls, sadly.   😞

Well we don't know the whole story on origination yet, if we ever will.  All signs point to this coming from a lab in some capacity, which is beyond significant. 

Also with this being a global pandemic, think of all the countries facing this from the aspects of economies/politics/livelihood/international relationships. 

This is panning out to be something very high up in the history books and will likely change stuff around us forever (greater than post-9/11 level societal impacts).

1 hour ago, tbone3969 said:

I feel you.  Fortunately, we've got balcony porches that allow for some "outside" time, plus the wife and I have gotten to the point where we'll let the kids chase each other through the house for a bit during certain hours, which has eased things somewhat.  My wife is going stir crazy (which is funny because she didn't much go anywhere before quarantine and mostly sat around inside the house reading during periods of free time), but the rest of us are handling it fairly well.  I think the only thing that really bugs me at this point is that it seems like nobody besides myself bothers to put anything away when they're done with it, so the living room tends to mostly remain a giant pile of kids' toys that nobody else seems to know how or when to put away and after work I'm generally too weary to dive into it since I know I'll be going it alone.

1 minute ago, Boosted52405 said:

Well we don't know the whole story on origination yet, if we ever will.  All signs point to this coming from a lab in some capacity, which is beyond significant. 

Also with this being a global pandemic, think of all the countries facing this from the aspects of economies/politics/livelihood/international relationships. 

This is panning out to be something very high up in the history books and will likely change stuff around us forever (greater than post-9/11 level societal impacts).

Link your sources because from what I have read and heard from two scientists (experts in their fields of biological warfare and pandemics) it came from an animal and most likely traced back to the Wuhan wet market.

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology.

and here is Dr. Anne Rimoin

Hold up - I never said it was man made, just that there is a very high likelihood that it come from a lab in Wuhan (no need to provide sources when it's the literal focal point for months) - we don't know the whole story yet, or if we ever will.  I listen to JRE all the time, it's gold and happy to give that one a go.

It is certainly not man-made. I can link papers of scientists acknowledging this virus - and its animal vectors - and asking for preparation as far back as the early 2000s. Any talk that it’s man-made is from conspiracy theorists who have never once been in the scientific realm. 

Now, the scenario that it was accidentally released from a virology lab is a possibility.

A few months back I applied for a job in a microbiology lab that was working with Chronic Wasting Disease in deer. I was a little fearful that this disease was potentially zoonotic (transferable from animals to humans) and I saw a study where it infected some macaques. I was nervous and my girlfriend said I was overreacting because there are plenty of safety procedures in place.

Irrational fears - 1

Girlfriend and logic - 0

24 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

Hold up - I never said it was man made, just that there is a very high likelihood that it come from a lab in Wuhan (no need to provide sources when it's the literal focal point for months) - we don't know the whole story yet, or if we ever will.  I listen to JRE all the time, it's gold and happy to give that one a go.

Ok, gotcha.  Yeah maybe it did leak from that Wuhan lab.  I believe that lab was called out in the past for not following proper protocol.  In the end it is China here, we will never get the real story.

I really enjoy the Joe Rogan podcast as well.

Now that I am thinking about it, as long as it isn't man made, doe sit really matter if it was leaked from a Wuhan Lab or came from a Wuhan wet market?  Either one shows China's reluctance to enforce any type of reasonable restrictions on either of them.  It's always been clear to me that this shit was caused by China.  Question is what can we, or anyone, do about it?  Not much other than economic measures.

Edited by tbone3969
  • Like 2