IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

Not only the death rate is a concern, but it can also lead to lifelong issues with breathing, mental health, and other problems.

I get wanting to go back to normal, but this thing is not something we can ignore, even with vaccines and everything else.

Be prepared for this virus to be a pain in the ass for years to come.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, twiztor said:

i agree with your larger point, but "a very low death rate"? really? It's currently measured at anywhere from 1.6% to 3.4%, which is quite high for a virus that we know how to stop/slow the spread of. 

Yeah I meant that part too in bold and I meant it in the grand scheme of total population.  Can't agree with that last one spanish flu being less, that's being pretty subjective. 🙂  Like I said it's not going anywhere, it'll end up for most being like having to put up with an optional flu shot yearly in the end in how it's handled with yearly boosters.

Personally I'm pretty over it.  I'll get/have got my shots, but beyond that, and my usual higher sanitation standards anyway from picking second hand goods for years now, that's it.

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah I meant that part too in bold and I meant it in the grand scheme of total population.  Can't agree with that last one spanish flu being less, that's being pretty subjective. 🙂  Like I said it's not going anywhere, it'll end up for most being like having to put up with an optional flu shot yearly in the end in how it's handled with yearly boosters.

Personally I'm pretty over it.  I'll get/have got my shots, but beyond that, and my usual higher sanitation standards anyway from picking second hand goods for years now, that's it.

Yeah, Spanish flu was horrific...

The mortality rate, across the world was 10%... that's insane!!

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html

In contrast, the mortality rate of covid is 1.6%, a huge number compared to yearly flu, etc. but nothing like 1918

https://www.google.com/search?channel=fs&client=ubuntu&q=usa+covid+mortality+rate

17 minutes ago, avatar! said:

In contrast, the mortality rate of covid is 1.6%, a huge number compared to yearly flu, etc. but nothing like 1918

https://www.google.com/search?channel=fs&client=ubuntu&q=usa+covid+mortality+rate

Not to mention there was no radio/TV/Internet and so on to keep people informed and up to date and all that, so most people didn't really know what to make of all of it/

18 hours ago, avatar! said:

That's the perspective I've tried to get across for a long time now, usually get push back and crapped on for saying I'm minimizing things that it's worse than this or that.  Others have too, some get called cranks, other heartless or stupid, but in a cold numbers game, this virus has a death rate way down the scale given compared to 100 years ago.  I like anyone, short of the truly insane cranks and conspiracy theorists, would be paranoid and insane about dealing with it, but when you're down around 1% of a catch rate, and then a shred of that dying off it...perspective is what it is.

I'm(was) a student of history, pushed it well into college until I dumped it into a minor when my california school in the late 90s started going pre-woke I guess you could call it, making unreasonable demands of certain degrees or I'd have kept and double majored.  I'm aware of his shitty and awful the Spanish Flu was, and what we have now, and yeah I seem cruel and minimizing, is more like 'the flu' than the spanish flu by a long shot.

Omicron Prompts Swift Reconsideration of Boosters Among Scientists

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/01/health/covid-omicron-booster-shots.html

Many of the experts who were opposed to boosters now believe that the shots may offer the best defense against the new variant.

Say what?? What "experts" were ever opposed to booster shots? Every single person that I know of that is either an MD or some sort of scientist, have always said boosters are our best hope. To be fair, I know of a few nurses and hospital staff that have been opposed to boosters - and for the record, many of these people believe the Earth is 6000 years old and that dinosaurs died during the flood because Noah could not save them... I'm not joking!

10 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Omicron Prompts Swift Reconsideration of Boosters Among Scientists

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/01/health/covid-omicron-booster-shots.html

Many of the experts who were opposed to boosters now believe that the shots may offer the best defense against the new variant.

Say what?? What "experts" were ever opposed to booster shots? Every single person that I know of that is either an MD or some sort of scientist, have always said boosters are our best hope. To be fair, I know of a few nurses and hospital staff that have been opposed to boosters - and for the record, many of these people believe the Earth is 6000 years old and that dinosaurs died during the flood because Noah could not save them... I'm not joking!

Click-bait - most of the opposition was from people who thought the resources should be used in other parts of the world for people that are unvaccinated - to prevent mutations like Omicron. 

People thought since the two doses worked well enough and the diminishing returns of the third shot it eould be more useful for unvaccinated 

There's also the convenience I guess of the doctor who popped some added information, albeit early, from down in south africa that others are now parroting too that while it seems to spread better than other variants, it's also like many viruses that get more mutations, watered down in severity with less symptoms, and of those are less nasty too.  But hey, even if it's looking weaker, it spreads like water so let's gin up some more media hits and unfounded irrational government overreach again and scare the shit out of everyone.

It has me thinking, is there any history on the classic flu?  Obviously that virus has been around a very long time, but I wonder if there's some weird parallel trajectory here.  Maybe the flu was a real mf'r hundreds or more years ago, was maybe as nasty or worse than this new virus and killed people like mad, and as people adapted, it adapted with more and more mutations to where eventually we got here.  Where you get like .01% of the population dying from traditional flu and far greater numbers impacted feeling like crap for a week plus.  I think this new bugger isn't going to ever go away, but maybe it's following how the old flu mutated in time?

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

There's also the convenience I guess of the doctor who popped some added information, albeit early, from down in south africa that others are now parroting too that while it seems to spread better than other variants, it's also like many viruses that get more mutations, watered down in severity with less symptoms, and of those are less nasty too.  But hey, even if it's looking weaker, it spreads like water so let's gin up some more media hits and unfounded irrational government overreach again and scare the shit out of everyone.

It has me thinking, is there any history on the classic flu?  Obviously that virus has been around a very long time, but I wonder if there's some weird parallel trajectory here.  Maybe the flu was a real mf'r hundreds or more years ago, was maybe as nasty or worse than this new virus and killed people like mad, and as people adapted, it adapted with more and more mutations to where eventually we got here.  Where you get like .01% of the population dying from traditional flu and far greater numbers impacted feeling like crap for a week plus.  I think this new bugger isn't going to ever go away, but maybe it's following how the old flu mutated in time?

All I know about the flu is it has way more parts of it that can mutate then COVID does. Influenza has crazy strains, even some that are bacterial. It's a never ending combination of mutations it can go thru while COVID is somewhat limited in it's mutations it can undergo while still being a threat to our immune system. 

48 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

All I know about the flu is it has way more parts of it that can mutate then COVID does. Influenza has crazy strains, even some that are bacterial. It's a never ending combination of mutations it can go thru while COVID is somewhat limited in it's mutations it can undergo while still being a threat to our immune system. 

I agree and you're right about the bacterial side, that's why I was speaking in hypothetical history of how far back does the flu go and how ugly perhaps was it when it first started and its first few (hah named) generations.  Maybe it will fizzle, or maybe you'll see 50 years of it changing into bacterial variants too while getting more and more tame to the level of the classic flu.  It's too hard to say, and it's too hard to trust what they say at this rate too when they can't even get their political shit out of the medical side of it causing that distrust.  Mask or no mask, third shot or not, etc.  Depends who farts into Bidens and Faucis metamucil and ginsing for memory you get another story.  We'd have more clarity rattling the magic 8ball at this rate, credibility too.

49 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Sars just up and disappeared IIRC.

Sars 1 was too deadly. Sars 2 (COVID) is superior since the host can carry it for so long before even showing symptoms and usually only die between 2-4 weeks after catching it. 

"May 7, 2003 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) today estimated the overall fatality rate for SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) patients at 14% to 15%, significantly higher than previous estimates. The agency estimated the rate for people older than 64 years to be more than 50%."

15% for regular folks and 50% for seniors. That's too deadly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Wow, I'm not.  I mean...it's Fox News.  I think Shep Smith is the only anchor for the network that didn't either get fired or demoted until they quit for not towing the company line and basically winding any- and everything that they broadcast up to Alex Jones levels of BS and absurdity.  I'm hoping that Fauci is just being kind and delicate in his statement versus being truly so naive as he sounds.

Fauci is his own worst enemy the way he has continually behaved around things, persistent double standards and other antics, and then plays clueless why people don't just kiss the ring at this rate.  Fox has a few clowns, largely they're fine, you could do far worse, but losing Smith was a big hit sadly.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Fauci is his own worst enemy the way he has continually behaved around things, persistent double standards and other antics, and then plays clueless why people don't just kiss the ring at this rate.  Fox has a few clowns, largely they're fine, you could do far worse, but losing Smith was a big hit sadly.

They're all clowns, even the ones who left, save Shep Smith.  I've not seen any of them, whether they left the network willingly or not, who don't basically just take somebody's money to have a puppet's hand shoved up their asses and the agenda of whoever is paying them spewed out of their mouths.  That can be said for a bunch of people across networks, but Fox News is where I've seen pretty much everybody who works directly for them being guilty of it, save Shep.  I was totally amazed that he managed to keep his job after he would interrupt stuff he was reading to insert his own opinions or sometimes just state, "Ok, I know this isn't true, so let's move on."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

100% of this statement is pure nonsense lol. You watch way too much Faux news

• Like 4

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

They're all clowns, even the ones who left, save Shep Smith.  I've not seen any of them, whether they left the network willingly or not, who don't basically just take somebody's money to have a puppet's hand shoved up their asses and the agenda of whoever is paying them spewed out of their mouths.  That can be said for a bunch of people across networks, but Fox News is where I've seen pretty much everybody who works directly for them being guilty of it, save Shep.  I was totally amazed that he managed to keep his job after he would interrupt stuff he was reading to insert his own opinions or sometimes just state, "Ok, I know this isn't true, so let's move on."

Well I can just get a sampling of them and CNN too, I wont' touch MSNBC as they're king of the pile of lying dickery on a whole other tier just seeing the stuff posted online from that dumpster fire.  I don't much trust any of them at this rate, and having dropped cable a few years back while I could watch, I don't.  Fox I found when it came to just reporting, largely with Shep but a few others it was good enough, but you did have plenty of opinionated stuff in every hour from other colorful wastes of space.  I didn't so much find them outright faking up news like MSNBC has done trying to stoke race fights, division, political delusionary tactics, and other grade A asshattery so bad it makes CNN at times seem middle of the road, which they've been nailed for in recent years too.  I basically try and catch stuff now through youtube of news from outside of the US and it paints a fairly decent picture on the spectrum where all 3 of the majors fall from cable news.  I valued Shep for doing what you closed on, it was quite amusing, but given where he is now, he's effectively off the air as far as I'm concerned sadly.  I can't see him getting to be too honest there even more so than at fox which is a shame.

1 hour ago, MrWunderful said:

100% of this statement is pure nonsense lol. You watch way too much Faux news

You' couldn't be farther from it.  I haven't had access really to the channel in some time now, but whatever strokes your tic tac. 🙂

11 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Well I can just get a sampling of them and CNN too, I wont' touch MSNBC as they're king of the pile of lying dickery on a whole other tier just seeing the stuff posted online from that dumpster fire.  ...  I didn't so much find them outright faking up news like MSNBC has done trying to stoke race fights, division, political delusionary tactics, and other grade A asshattery so bad it makes CNN at times seem middle of the road, which they've been nailed for in recent years too.

Could you provide some specific examples of this?  I've never really watched MSNBC, but the only people that I've ever really heard say what you're saying are folks who lean right or far right, but who are also people who don't watch the channel.  I'm not saying you, specifically, aren't right, just that I'd really like someone, somewhere, espousing that opinion of the channel to actually provide some specific examples of such shenanigans going on versus just saying it and expecting anyone hearing them to accept it as gospel.

14 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I basically try and catch stuff now through youtube of news from outside of the US and it paints a fairly decent picture on the spectrum where all 3 of the majors fall from cable news.

Yeah, that's more or less where I'm at too.  Didn't have cable growing up, only had it for a couple of years when it came with broadband when I had that installed at my parents' house a couple of years before moving out, then never again to date.  I'll scan Fox and CNN to see what headlines match up that people in general might be interested in, check some third party sites to see if they match up with what I've found and maybe add anything the other two missed, then check out stuff like the BBC, or in rare cases Al-Jazeera to see what a relatively unbiased, outside look in on those issues looks like.  I've gotten fairly good at being able to read articles from Fox and CNN and sort the BS out of the actual reporting and have found far more nonsense showing up on the Fox side than the CNN on, then move on to the other sides just to make sure I was right and no major facts got missed.