IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

To wit...

https://news.yahoo.com/radio-host-regretted-vaccine-hesitancy-004349441.html

Radio host who regretted vaccine skepticism dies of Covid

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A conservative talk radio host from Tennessee who had been a vaccine skeptic until he was hospitalized from COVID-19 has died. He was 61.

Nashville radio station SuperTalk 99.7 WTN confirmed Phil Valentine's death in a tweet Saturday.

Valentine had been a skeptic of coronavirus vaccines. But after he tested positive for COVID-19, and prior to his hospitalization, he told his listeners to consider, “If I get this COVID thing, do I have a chance of dying from it?” If so, he advised them to get vaccinated. He said he chose not to get vaccinated because he thought he probably wouldn’t die.

So many stories like this...
Always the same thing - some conservative(s) decline to get vaccinated, then die. I truly do not understand people...

41 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Always the same thing - some conservative(s) decline to get vaccinated, then die. I truly do not understand people...

Combination of thinking you're indestructible, falling for misinformation (it's just the flu!), and not wanting to be told what to do. A lot of them claim they would rather die than follow gubmit orders.

Looks like that's exactly what is happening.

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

I know it's tempting for some of you guys to play into political stereotypes but the fact of the matter is that this virus couldn't care less (nor CAN care less) what the person's political affiliation/views are.  This is not a Republican problem or a Democrat problem or a black problem or a white problem...this is an ALL of us problem.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Estil said:

I know it's tempting for some of you guys to play into political stereotypes but the fact of the matter is that this virus couldn't care less (nor CAN care less) what the person's political affiliation/views are.  This is not a Republican problem or a Democrat problem or a black problem or a white problem...this is an ALL of us problem.

Sure, this virus is a universal issue, but why with the vaccine readily available do we keep having so many problems? Could it, to a certain (and likely large) extent, be because some politicians refuse to do what the CDC  and numerous health officials & scientists tell them they need to do? Could it be, that these people who refuse to wear masks, refuse to get vaccinated, refuse to social distance... COULD IT BE - that they are universally Republicans/conservatives? YES

And, I'm not blaming all conservatives/Republicans - but many are certainly guilty.
Screenshot-from-2021-08-22-15-08-18.png

Last I checked, the queen of all the anti-vaxxers, Jenny McCarthy and her pals are not exactly what you'd call right wingers.  So honestly any sort of partisan finger pointing is honestly doing no one any good.

EDIT: Oh great, wouldn't ya know it, one of those guys you pictured is finger pointing...wonderful... 😞 

Edited by Estil
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Estil said:

Last I checked, the queen of all the anti-vaxxers, Jenny McCarthy and her pals are not exactly what you'd call right wingers.  So honestly any sort of partisan finger pointing is honestly doing no one any good.

EDIT: Oh great, wouldn't ya know it, one of those guys you pictured is finger pointing...wonderful... 😞 

You know what?  Jenny McCarthy isn't at the head of my state's government actively blocking any and all mask mandates for the state as well as schools.  Don't believe me?  Check this shit out.

Yes, absolutely, this absolutely, positively, 100% SHOULD be an everyone issue.  However, since before Trump was ousted from office, practically since the beginning, this has very much been a political issue, with the vast majority of the outspoken far right (ie: Republicans) doing everything they can to deny that this has been going on, deny the potential for deadliness (or totally screwing your health going forward afterward--look at the chest x-rays of people who got it, survived, and didn't have any serious complaints--they look just like people who've had bad pneumonia), ENDLESSLY bitch and moan about the mere thought of having to wear a mask, escalate that bitching and moaning to the highest levels if they're actually required to wear a mask to protect other people (and thus themselves), generally refuse to wear said masks anyway, then, in the political arena, do all they can to repeal and block every mandate that has attempted to come down the pipe to try to protect the public.

I live right smack dab in the middle of hillbilly hell, so believe me, I've seen and heard it all at this point.  Politically, I'm viewed as a "damned Democrat" and part of the "far left" simply because where my views reside IN THE MIDDLE, all the fucking crazies that live around me have gone so far right (if we were looking at a flat map, they would have gone through China and hit f'n water again) that I can't possibly be trying to have a reasonable balance of both sides--I'm "part of the problem" and a "damned liberal" because I'm not willing to forego any thought of public assistance, blame immigrants and foreigners for anything and everything, etc.  Don't believe me?  Come spend a day talking to people in the heart of Eastern TN and/or Southwest VA and you'll understand immediately.

Yes, it's absolutely inconvenient for you to be of a reasonable mind and identify as being part of the political party that seemingly everyone is currently blaming for this shit going on, and on, and on.  However, as many, many people have said before me, where there's smoke, there's fire.  Sure, there are a few crazies in the middle and on the left too, but as far as pushback from any one political group in regard to taking the most basic steps in holding the line against this shit so that we can STOP new infections long enough for the shit to die out, there's an overwhelming majority, and despite acting like jackasses, their political party's logo isn't one.

• Love 1
  • Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Politically, I'm viewed as a "damned Democrat" and part of the "far left" simply because where my views reside IN THE MIDDLE, all the fucking crazies that live around me have gone so far right (if we were looking at a flat map, they would have gone through China and hit f'n water again) that I can't possibly be trying to have a reasonable balance of both sides--I'm "part of the problem" and a "damned liberal" because I'm not willing to forego any thought of public assistance, blame immigrants and foreigners for anything and everything, etc.  Don't believe me?  Come spend a day talking to people in the heart of Eastern TN and/or Southwest VA and you'll understand immediately.

Oh I believe it, I have in fact been called that at least a few times! 😄  For example, if I God forbid, concede that if the whole renaming of the The Artists Formerly Known As the Redskins, Aunt Jemima and the like is pretty much inevitable then can we at least figure a way of remaining that can (mostly) satisfy (mostly) everyone?  But no, if I'm anything short of "keep the name come heck or high water!!" I'm somehow far left. 😛  That's just one example of course.

As for the public assistance thing, I did in fact have to sometimes caution those who flagrantly stereotype people on public assistance...I mean what if one day they must go on it?  I've been around way too many people on public assistance and I've been raised in very much that level of eh, level of economic class so I know full well that most people on public assistance, most of the time are there legally and out of honest need for it.  As for the ones who are illegally abusing it, then I think the same approach should be taken in terms of illegal immigration...start with the biggest fish (the most flagrant violators) and gradually work your way down.

PS: I don't think it'll really happen but I honestly like Emmitt Smith's idea of officially renaming the Washington NFL team simply the "Skins".

Edited by Estil

4 hours ago, Estil said:

You better tell the Republicans that, because they're hell bent on making it a Republican problem. You voted for them, you need to write to them to knock the anti-mask/anti-vax shit off.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

You better tell the Republicans that, because they're hell bent on making it a Republican problem. You voted for them, you need to write to them to knock the anti-mask/anti-vax shit off.

Like anyone's gonna listen to some average guy in an average community in an average apartment! 😄 And do enlighten me as to just how much Mitch McConnel, Rand Paul, and Brett Guthrie are responsible for the whole anti-mask/anti-vax thing?  They're the only ones on the federal level that I CAN vote one way or the other for (I've actually personally met with Mitch a few times BTW though not since 2008).

I still say Jenny McCarthy is by far and way THE most dangerous of all the anti-vaxxers, and she was doing this many years before the whole covid thing.  She more than any other individual I know of has needless caused children to not get routine vaccinations and caused many diseases we had all but wiped out (at least in the US) to come back.  And I'm pretty sure Jenny and her pals (I can't believe Oprah actually let her appear on her show...) feels much the same way about this vaccine.

Honestly if it was up to me vaccination would be MANADTORY for all children <18...the only exceptions would be for honest to goodness medical reasons.  You claim your "religion" "doesn't believe" in vaccinations or blood transfusions or whatnot?  Too...frickin...bad.  A grown adult can do what they want with their own body but when its a child we're talking about who cannot legally or otherwise consent one way or the other...it would disgust me to no end for example, if a child was denied a life saving blood transfusion or bone marrow transfusion or whatever just because the parent(s) think their "religion" "doesn't believe in it".  Look, in most every other sense of the term I am all for Freedom of Religion (it is mentioned first in the First Amendment for a reason) but not when it flagrantly puts people in danger.  After all we don't allow say, human sacrifices right?

PS: So yeah, maybe overall on the US political spectrum I don't align all that much with most of the rest of you and that's okay.  But as far as the whole vaccination thing, you guys (I don't think there's any anti-vaxxers here is there?) are preaching to choir and that was very much true long before any of this covid stuff.

Edited by Estil

30 minutes ago, Estil said:

Like anyone's gonna listen to some average guy in an average community in an average apartment! 

Then stop voting for those numbskulls! You don't have to vote for a Democrat, but look to third party or primary them out for Republicans who actually support vaccinations. Don't just walk into a voting booth and pull the lever just because Numbnuts McNodick has an R beside his name.

30 minutes ago, Estil said:

And do enlighten me as to just how much Mitch McConnel, Rand Paul, and Brett Guthrie are responsible for the whole anti-mask/anti-vax thing? 

Here's Rand Paul's responsibility in this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/2021/08/10/rand-paul-suspended-from-youtube-over-covid-claims/?sh=14df79ef1971

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/rand-paul/2021/08/09/kentucky-rand-paul-tells-people-ignore-cdc-covid-19-surges/5540281001/

Here's McConnell, who claimed there was no plan for a pandemic. There was, he just ignored it. Fortunately he'll probably retire after this term.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/14/mcconnell-obama-playbook-pandemic-259969

Guthrie seems to okay, though. Keep voting for him.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/08/14/covid-19-kentucky-u-s-rep-brett-guthrie-supports-vaccine/8137338002/

Edited by Tulpa

10 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Then stop voting for those numbskulls! You don't have to vote for a Democrat, but look to third party or primary them out for Republicans who actually support vaccinations.

Here's Rand Paul's responsibility in this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/2021/08/10/rand-paul-suspended-from-youtube-over-covid-claims/?sh=14df79ef1971

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/rand-paul/2021/08/09/kentucky-rand-paul-tells-people-ignore-cdc-covid-19-surges/5540281001/

Here's McConnell, who claimed there was no plan for a pandemic. There was, he just ignored it.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/14/mcconnell-obama-playbook-pandemic-259969

Guthrie seems to okay, though. Keep voting for him.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/08/14/covid-19-kentucky-u-s-rep-brett-guthrie-supports-vaccine/8137338002/

Actually, and I'm being completely honest, if I had come of voting age say, ten years earlier there's a good chance I could've ended up one of those old fashioned blue dog conservative D's (I don't see nothing at all with Wendell Ford for example).  At least on the state/local level.  But sure, if both major party guys/girls in a race are indeed not worth my vote for whatever reason, I'll always be more than happy to go for a third party guy or even vote for myself 😄 

Edited by Estil

7 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

You do at least consider the other side at times, which is more than I can say for some.

I think you do need to look into who is on your ballot a bit deeper, maybe.

Yes; that's why I have a far easier time debating issues rather than people/politicians.  And even the ones who I could not disagree with more I presume that on a personal level are:

If only more people on all parts on the political spectrum had this kind of 'tude.

And I do in fact consider "hate" to be a rather strong word, especially when describing a person (other than a serial killer/rapist/dictator/kitty kicker or something).  So when asked if I "hate" [insert name of radical liberal D], my response is basically...

Edited by Estil

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Estil said:

Like anyone's gonna listen to some average guy in an average community in an average apartment! 😄 And do enlighten me as to just how much Mitch McConnel, Rand Paul, and Brett Guthrie are responsible for the whole anti-mask/anti-vax thing?  They're the only ones on the federal level that I CAN vote one way or the other for (I've actually personally met with Mitch a few times BTW though not since 2008).

I still say Jenny McCarthy is by far and way THE most dangerous of all the anti-vaxxers, and she was doing this many years before the whole covid thing.  She more than any other individual I know of has needless caused children to not get routine vaccinations and caused many diseases we had all but wiped out (at least in the US) to come back.  And I'm pretty sure Jenny and her pals (I can't believe Oprah actually let her appear on her show...) feels much the same way about this vaccine.

Honestly if it was up to me vaccination would be MANADTORY for all children <18...the only exceptions would be for honest to goodness medical reasons.  You claim your "religion" "doesn't believe" in vaccinations or blood transfusions or whatnot?  Too...frickin...bad.  A grown adult can do what they want with their own body but when its a child we're talking about who cannot legally or otherwise consent one way or the other...it would disgust me to no end for example, if a child was denied a life saving blood transfusion or bone marrow transfusion or whatever just because the parent(s) think their "religion" "doesn't believe in it".  Look, in most every other sense of the term I am all for Freedom of Religion (it is mentioned first in the First Amendment for a reason) but not when it flagrantly puts people in danger.  After all we don't allow say, human sacrifices right?

PS: So yeah, maybe overall on the US political spectrum I don't align all that much with most of the rest of you and that's okay.  But as far as the whole vaccination thing, you guys (I don't think there's any anti-vaxxers here is there?) are preaching to choir and that was very much true long before any of this covid stuff.

This is absolutely abbhorent. I can't believe you'd go so far as to call this an "average community"! 

How dare you sir. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

This is absolutely abbhorent. I can't believe you'd go so far as to call this an "average community"! 

How dare you sir. 

No Greta Thunberg, I mean the city/community I live in!  No what's "absolutely abhorrent" is when I was told at a cat forum after listing what I thought were cute unique things my kitty does is that "you have a regular cat" to which I was all like... 😞

71411dc111f8d54eccf9cd0e3d8c0ba7--cat-vs

• Haha 1

Social Team · Posted

I've been holding off in reading this thread.  I LOVE knowing how things are going to turn out and start reading people's comments.....This thread.......OH MAN!  I hope there isn't any idiots in here who complete brushed off COVID-19 is just "the flu".  If I start reading now maybe when I get to this post we'll have gotten through this Delta variant and I will know how things end up and see if people had a very wrong take on it as well.

Edited by FireHazard51

Social Team · Posted

Oh, in latest news Pfizer is fully FDA Approved (NPR: Why Pfizer's FDA Approval Matters) so no more excuses for not taking the damn vaccine.  Or just come clean and be honest that you are anti-covid 19 vax all together regardless of medical professionals and health organizations say.  

I have family that refuse to take the vaccine for one reason or another.  None of them are any good reason at all.  I'm just happy my parents are wise enough to get the vaccine as soon as it's available even though they just had COVID two months prior too getting vaccinated back when it was first offered to the elderly.  My Mom was even helping her friends get vaccinated though they were technically too young to get it.  Couple weeks later they opened up their age group.  I wish she could put some pressure onto my sister-in-law to allow my nephew to get the damn vaccine.  Or just straight take his ass to get the shot.  He's 16 and wants the shot but his Mom is an anti-vax idiot.  And of course they all got Covid as well in December.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Oh, in latest news Pfizer is fully FDA Approved (NPR: Why Pfizer's FDA Approval Matters) so no more excuses for not taking the damn vaccine.  Or just come clean and be honest that you are anti-covid 19 vax all together regardless of medical professionals and health organizations say.  

I have family that refuse to take the vaccine for one reason or another.  None of them are any good reason at all.  I'm just happy my parents are wise enough to get the vaccine as soon as it's available even though they just had COVID two months prior too getting vaccinated back when it was first offered to the elderly.  My Mom was even helping her friends get vaccinated though they were technically too young to get it.  Couple weeks later they opened up their age group.  I wish she could put some pressure onto my sister-in-law to allow my nephew to get the damn vaccine.  Or just straight take his ass to get the shot.  He's 16 and wants the shot but his Mom is an anti-vax idiot.  And of course they all got Covid as well in December.  

I got mine before it was approved cause I'm a rebel. 😂

• Like 1
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I wish she could put some pressure onto my sister-in-law to allow my nephew to get the damn vaccine.  Or just straight take his ass to get the shot.  He's 16 and wants the shot but his Mom is an anti-vax idiot.  And of course they all got Covid as well in December.

Well, I'm pretty sure she could end up at the wrong end of a lawsuit if she just took your nephew to get the shot when he's able/allowed (things are generally handled differently after someone has actually had COVID).  However, there's nothing stopping the kid's dad (and presumably your brother/BIL) from taking him, or giving written permission for someone else to do so (although that could potentially get rejected by those administering the shot).  For medical stuff, in virtually every case I can think of, only one parent or guardian's permission is required, so if mom is cray cray but dad isn't, that's the avenue to take.

• Disagree 1

I went to a small luncheon at work to celebrate a coworker’s work anniversary and I got a call this morning that one of the people had COVID. It was my first time at a restaurant since the pandemic and I even told my wife that I was nervous about it. I’m vaccinated, but my wife and three little kids are not.

• Sad 3