IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

13 hours ago, The Count said:

Fucking Joe Rogan has such a massive platform/audience and he's promoting Ivermectin having used it himself. 

Apparently they've started a clinical trial in Japan to study the effects in a controlled environment, as apparently they had a bunch of prisoners volunteer to be guinea pigs beforehand and reported cases of folks who had been given the stuff prophylactically (ha ha, I know) remaining disease and symptom free while those around them ended up catching COVID.  As a result, I can see how folks could see this as a ray of hope.  However, everybody's rush to get the stuff is just stupid, and not because "it's horse dewormer," although I understand why that crosses so many folks' minds.  Most medicines used by vets is literally the exact same medicine that's used on people--sometimes in different concentrations and dosages (such as ivermectin), and sometimes straight up the same thing (the antibiotics you buy for your fish tank is the same stuff a doctor can prescribe).  So many idiots are getting sick with ivermectin due to the fact that they're not doing the math to figure out how much they need to dilute it to get it to the concentration a human would take, and then only take the dosage that a human would.  I'm not saying that these people should be injecting themselves with it, but honestly, if it's done properly (correct dilution & dosage), at the very worst it's going to do nothing.  Unfortunately, the antivaxxers can't or won't read that far and just decide to give themselves a dosage appropriate for a 500-1000lb horse versus a 100-300lb human, poisoning the shit out of themselves in the process.  That's where the real stupidity lives, I think.  If they want to make themselves guinea pigs, let them go for it, but FFS, at least do it the correct way.

Social Team · Posted
9 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

Apparently they've started a clinical trial in Japan to study the effects in a controlled environment, as apparently they had a bunch of prisoners volunteer to be guinea pigs beforehand and reported cases of folks who had been given the stuff prophylactically (ha ha, I know) remaining disease and symptom free while those around them ended up catching COVID.  As a result, I can see how folks could see this as a ray of hope.  However, everybody's rush to get the stuff is just stupid, and not because "it's horse dewormer," although I understand why that crosses so many folks' minds.  Most medicines used by vets is literally the exact same medicine that's used on people--sometimes in different concentrations and dosages (such as ivermectin), and sometimes straight up the same thing (the antibiotics you buy for your fish tank is the same stuff a doctor can prescribe).  So many idiots are getting sick with ivermectin due to the fact that they're not doing the math to figure out how much they need to dilute it to get it to the concentration a human would take, and then only take the dosage that a human would.  I'm not saying that these people should be injecting themselves with it, but honestly, if it's done properly (correct dilution & dosage), at the very worst it's going to do nothing.  Unfortunately, the antivaxxers can't or won't read that far and just decide to give themselves a dosage appropriate for a 500-1000lb horse versus a 100-300lb human, poisoning the shit out of themselves in the process.  That's where the real stupidity lives, I think.  If they want to make themselves guinea pigs, let them go for it, but FFS, at least do it the correct way.

There are good reasons why some drugs are over the counter and others require a prescription.  Fucking up the dosage and killing your self is one.  Which is why many professional want asprin to be prescribed because of how many accidental deaths occured each yeah.  That recommendation of dosage isn't as grey as many think.  Unlike ibprofine which is given out like candy in the military.   I swear all your issues can be cured with drinking more water and ibprofine....well that's what the military doctors think 😏

In Taiwan, a lot of medicines that are prescribed in the states are available here at drug stores. Same even with shit like contacts, can just buy it from a shop, no eye test needed.

I actually prefer it this way, it's a lot more convenient, and for those who know their own body, it generally isn't an issue. 

The only reason to regulate is for dumbasses, but they can't be helped anyways.

Social Team · Posted
18 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

In Taiwan, a lot of medicines that are prescribed in the states are available here at drug stores. Same even with shit like contacts, can just buy it from a shop, no eye test needed.

I actually prefer it this way, it's a lot more convenient, and for those who know their own body, it generally isn't an issue. 

The only reason to regulate is for dumbasses, but they can't be helped anyways.

Oh, don't get me wrong.  There are things that are prescribed or are being pushed for being prescription based only.  Hearing aids is one that was about to be prescription based only in the States but got stopped by some quick an slick legislation that was passed before lobbies could stop it.  And I agree with you, it's fucking bullshit that I can't get new prescription glasses order unless I had a doctors note from within 1 year of my last visit.  My prescription hasn't changed in years yet I'm forced to get another eye exam to be able to shop for replacement glasses that I already own.

1 hour ago, FireHazard51 said:

Oh, don't get me wrong.  There are things that are prescribed or are being pushed for being prescription based only.  Hearing aids is one that was about to be prescription based only in the States but got stopped by some quick an slick legislation that was passed before lobbies could stop it.  And I agree with you, it's fucking bullshit that I can't get new prescription glasses order unless I had a doctors note from within 1 year of my last visit.  My prescription hasn't changed in years yet I'm forced to get another eye exam to be able to shop for replacement glasses that I already own.

I have to go through the same thing to get new contacts. At least with those you can do an online eye test and get a new prescription without a trip to the eye doctor.

Really looking forward to barbecuing for the four day holiday next week. I've been looking forward to it for months, the Moon Festival.

Since Covid-19 started spreading again up north in Taipei and New Taipei City, my city has decided to limit barbecuing to household by household. So as the only ones living in my apartment are me and the cat, that's the only dinner guest I'm allowed to have.

Some schools have also shut down in Taipei and New Taipei thanks to infections stemming from pilots. So it looks like I'll possibly be doing another round of month upon month with no work or income, should those selfish assholes decide to travel south and spread the disease.

Seriously, fuck Taipei!

edit: it's also interesting to mention that Taipei still hasn't decided on implementing regulations for the upcoming festival, as a hot bed they should have been first to implement restrictions, but then again, they'd been talking about opening up clubs and bars about s month ago, when everywhere else wasn't even sure we should be opening schools.

Edited by fcgamer

On 8/30/2021 at 10:52 AM, FireHazard51 said:

image.png.db5756c82a53ab94b929e5a2b05c3bc1.png

This data is for Ohio and the areas where I work.  Hamilton is were Cincinnati is for reference.  Clinton County is a VERY rural county.  I don't think I saw counts these high even at the peak before the vaccine was available.  Shit is getting real people.  I'm suppose to being going back to work tomorrow and Covid outbreak is the worse it's ever been.

3 weeks later.... up 72% on the state average.

image.png.9bc1992a6d3b471e6220d02683c9be7e.png

Got the first county to break 1,000 marker!!!!

meh stephen colbert GIF

@Bearcat-Dougyou are so close to breaking the mark too.  Maybe next week you'll get there....

Spoiler

image.png.89ef083122c3d444198af80b2c42e7ad.png

20 hours ago, avatar! said:

I think this video shows all you need to know. People who refuse to wear masks or get vaccinated are dangerous asshole-idiots, and that's all there is to it. I'm done trying to reason with the dumbest of the dumb...

Welcome to Tennessee!  Our local healthcare system has started providing weekly visuals showing all the patients they have with COVID in a chart, with a color differentiation for the tiny (real and comparative) number of vaccinated individuals in each category, then a total at the bottom showing the number of COVID patients versus patients for every other reason.  All the local hospitals have been at roughly 95-98% capacity at all times, with at least 50% of total capacity being COVID patients, and 95%+ of ICU/ER beds being taken up by COVID patients.  There's been 1 vaccinated patient on a ventilator, and typically 1% or less vaccinated in the system for COVID in general (usually 2-5 people versus hundreds of unvaccinated).  And it's still not getting through to these idiots.

• Wow! 1

Just now, darkchylde28 said:

Welcome to Tennessee!  Our local healthcare system has started providing weekly visuals showing all the patients they have with COVID in a chart, with a color differentiation for the tiny (real and comparative) number of vaccinated individuals in each category, then a total at the bottom showing the number of COVID patients versus patients for every other reason.  All the local hospitals have been at roughly 95-98% capacity at all times, with at least 50% of total capacity being COVID patients, and 95%+ of ICU/ER beds being taken up by COVID patients.  There's been 1 vaccinated patient on a ventilator, and typically 1% or less vaccinated in the system for COVID in general (usually 2-5 people versus hundreds of unvaccinated).  And it's still not getting through to these idiots.

Adding on, I’m my sisters primary babysitter because she’s a hospital employee (X-Ray), and so many people are out because they’re sick that she has at least 12 hours of OT a week, with very little notice.  She said one of their respiratory therapists committed suicide because he couldn’t handle the stress anymore.  

• Sad 3

Just now, Rhapsody98 said:

Adding on, I’m my sisters primary babysitter because she’s a hospital employee (X-Ray), and so many people are out because they’re sick that she has at least 12 hours of OT a week, with very little notice.  She said one of their respiratory therapists committed suicide because he couldn’t handle the stress anymore.  

Doesn't surprise me, that's a whole other aspect folks need to be looking at as well. 

1 minute ago, Rhapsody98 said:

Sometimes I’m ashamed of my state.  

I was deployed with a Tenn National Guard Unit and let me tell you they made ME ashamed at being associated with them and also pissed that they represented me, National Guard soldier.   Course there were odd exception of some good soldiers.  Fucking crazy thing is that the rest of the unit ostracized  the ONE amazing soldier they had.

Now you got me pissed thinking about it...

Spoiler

so-angry

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

6 minutes ago, Rhapsody98 said:

You forgot to note that both she, as well as your other sister, is a healthcare worker who refuses to get vaccinated, regardless of requests, incentives, or demands on the part of their employer.  I have a feeling they're going to end up like that mass of healthcare workers in New York who quit the obstetrics department of a local hospital because they dared enforce the state mandate that all NY healthcare workers be vaccinated.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, FireHazard51 said:

I was deployed with a Tenn National Guard Unit and let me tell you they made ME ashamed at being associated with them and also pissed that they represented me, National Guard soldier.   Course there were odd exception of some good soldiers.  Fucking crazy thing is that the rest of the unit ostracized  the ONE amazing soldier they had.

Now you got me pissed thinking about it...

Reveal hidden contents

so-angry

Dude, I'm not surprised.  While it initially started off as a joke amongst my family, the longer we've lived in the area, the more we've come to realize how true it is.  What am I referring to?  Our local National Guard outfit is, quite literally, F-Troop.  Seriously.  Life imitating art and all that, FTW.

Just now, darkchylde28 said:

You forgot to note that both she, as well as your other sister, is a healthcare worker who refuses to get vaccinated, regardless of requests, incentives, or demands on the part of their employer.  I have a feeling they're going to end up like that mass of healthcare workers in New York who quit the obstetrics department of a local hospital because they dared enforce the state mandate that all NY healthcare workers be vaccinated.

I have to cover my eyes and ears about that or I’ll go crazy, and keep them from the kids as much as possible.  But I can’t see the local officials making that stand, they either don’t care or they know they’d have to lose too many employees.

25 minutes ago, Rhapsody98 said:

I have to cover my eyes and ears about that or I’ll go crazy, and keep them from the kids as much as possible.  But I can’t see the local officials making that stand, they either don’t care or they know they’d have to lose too many employees.

At this point, the local officials have been so undermined by our governor and state legislature that anyone choosing to take a true stand in the current political climate would simply be signing their own resignation by doing so.  While I do believe that would be noble, I've seen enough fictional and non-fictional accounts of "guerilla warfare" played out within the system by the people at odds with those in control to have some measure of faith in a decent number of our officials even if I've lost faith in the system.  The fact that our local school system went ahead and passed and publicized mask mandates for all students and staff at city schools due to the seemingly ever-increasing number of COVID cases speaks to this, even if it's ultimately a bit toothless since those in control of our state legislature have required that parents be allowed to sign waivers allowing their (presumably germ infested, plague bearing) kids to disregard the mandate.  At least it doesn't allow for the staff to avoid masking/social distancing/etc. requirements set down by the board.