IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.al.com/news/2021/07/im-sorry-but-its-too-late-alabama-doctor-on-treating-unvaccinated-dying-covid-patients.html

Sobering.

"Dr. Brytney Cobia said Monday that all but one of her COVID patients in Alabama did not receive the vaccine. The vaccinated patient, she said, just needed a little oxygen and is expected to fully recover. Some of the others are dying.

“I’m admitting young healthy people to the hospital with very serious COVID infections,” wrote Cobia, a hospitalist at Grandview Medical Center in Birmingham, in an emotional Facebook post Sunday. “One of the last things they do before they’re intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that I’m sorry, but it’s too late.”

Three COVID-19 vaccines have been widely available in Alabama for months now, yet the state is last in the nation in vaccination rate, with only 33.7 percent of the population fully vaccinated. COVID-19 case numbers and hospitalizations are surging yet again due to the more contagious Delta variant of the virus and Alabama’s low vaccination rate."

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Surging, among those who don't get the shot.  Have to keep it in context so the media can't win more ratings by scaring the crap out of everyone with a blanket statement.

They made the choice, now they can suffer their consequences.

Yep, that's very true.  From what I've read, 99.5% of the admissions and COVID-related deaths are specifically in unvaccinated people.  It is very unfortunate to know that there are people dying in other countries because they can't get any of the vaccines as they are not available. Here we have surplus of vaccines and people are dying because they CHOSE not to get vaccinated. 

As you say, @Tanooki, they made the choice and now they suffer the consequences of that choice. 

Edited by TrekMD
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TrekMD said:

Yep, that's very true.  From what I've read, 99.5% of the admissions and COVID-related deaths are specifically in unvaccinated people.  It is very unfortunate to know that there are people dying in other countries because they can't get any of the vaccines as they are not available. Here we have surplus of vaccines and people are dying because they CHOSE not to get vaccinated. 

As you say, @Tanooki, they made the choice and now they suffer the consequences of that choice. 

That's the same I've picked off numerous sources too.  It's like somewhere in the guesstimated neighborhood of .5 down to .1% of those who get it, or maybe it was .5 get, .1 die who had the vaccine which falls well in the acceptable rate to any whatever we've had shots for since being babies.  If 99.5 to 99.9% of the people catch vs die from it chose not to get the shot, that's their fault.  It's why I took the dig at the media because some are playing up the ratings card like this new variant is so much more scary, nasty, going to kill you, yet few want to spell out the hype they're peddling is implied for those who didn't bother getting a shot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Yeah I've been hearing about this supposed rise in COVID cases in my own local area and that doesn't even make sense.  We are VERY lucky we got this vaccine as quickly as we did (if only it was that easy with some of the other really bad diseases...) and at first I was a bit concerned thinking, "maybe there's now a new COVID virus that's immune to the vaccine or something" but nope, it's people who STUPIDLY don't get the vaccine for whatever reason.  Do you guys not realize how AWESOME it is to not only be protected but to not have to wear that silly mask anymore? 🙂 

I don't think people realize how lucky we are to have the vaccines we have so far...because I'm pretty darn sure getting things like smallpox, polio, measles, mumps, rubella just to name a few would NOT be any fun at all. 😞   As far as I'm concerned Jenny McCarthy can go pound sand...she is among the most dangerous women in America right now.  No really, her anti-vax activism has KILLED people!!

• Like 1

@TrekMD Oh no I get it.  I hate shots, history of them long ago, but to not have to walk around like some chinese tourist with a headcold every time I leave the house I value a lot.  I value it enough I get infuriated when I see scumbag politicians play into the fear and do dumb shit like re-instituting lockdowns, like that clown piece of human garbage who runs Los Angeles.  That dick is making everyone in public wear masks again...or else.  It's fear mongering at its finest and helps for nothing, just more damage again against people, property, business.  The stories coming out of there people who have shots basically rebelling, others walking like 2 blocks from their home (near the county line) and going to take their business elsewhere where their rights aren't being violated by that scumbag.  Its pathetic.  We're basically seeing fear being used to protect people who made a choice being anti-vax garbage people to score political points.  The sad thing is, when elections come up, it'll be sad for them when they're thrown out as more wise up to it.

The two original shots so far now appear from more testing to likely never need a booster and seemingly should last for years if not probably a lifetime like other shots we get as toddlers etc.  Those same very shots also guard against the so called more evil delta and lambda variants as effectively too, they're just more nasty for the anti-vaxxers which seems like karmic justice to me.

• Like 1

Well fuck the idiots up in Taipei who can't get their shit together, supposedly I'll be able to go back to work next week, we'll see, but I should have never been off to begin with. No cases here, yet I have to wear a mask even when cycling, schools are still closed, yet they opened up nightmarkets up in the hotbed area and recently opened up movie theatres?! And boutique shops never closed? It's infuriating, the island ended up in this situation because of the north and when everywhere aside from the north is fine, we all still have to be sitting at home twiddling our thumbs since the pussies up there can't handle a hard lockdown just for their region.

• Like 1

And don't get me started on the vaccine snobbery going on. Or about the wealthy Taiwanense doing vaccine tourism to the States, whilst average American citizens living abroad in Taiwan aren't really in a position to leave to get vaccinated and then come back. 

15 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Well fuck the idiots up in Taipei who can't get their shit together, supposedly I'll be able to go back to work next week, we'll see, but I should have never been off to begin with. No cases here, yet I have to wear a mask even when cycling, schools are still closed, yet they opened up nightmarkets up in the hotbed area and recently opened up movie theatres?! And boutique shops never closed? It's infuriating, the island ended up in this situation because of the north and when everywhere aside from the north is fine, we all still have to be sitting at home twiddling our thumbs since the pussies up there can't handle a hard lockdown just for their region.

Free as a bird where I’m at…

• Like 1

On a different note, I also don't get why the world is still having the summer Olympics, given the pandemic and all. Already 90 some folks tested positive for covid-19, and it just encouraged a lot of unnecessary travel from across the globe, and for what? I see the whole thing as totally idiotic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

On a different note, I also don't get why the world is still having the summer Olympics, given the pandemic and all. Already 90 some folks tested positive for covid-19, and it just encouraged a lot of unnecessary travel from across the globe, and for what? I see the whole thing as totally idiotic.

Because hopefully the ones going in person will be carefully screened to make sure they're vaccinated and such?  I hope...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Surging, among those who don't get the shot.  Have to keep it in context so the media can't win more ratings by scaring the crap out of everyone with a blanket statement.

They made the choice, now they can suffer their consequences.

It isn't really that simple.

The virus only mutates with hosts. The longer it sticks around, the more breakthrough cases can happen, which in turn can allow the virus to mutate in individuals who are already vaccinated.

Unvaccinated people having a surge in cases in bad for EVERYONE.

8 hours ago, fcgamer said:

And don't get me started on the vaccine snobbery going on. Or about the wealthy Taiwanense doing vaccine tourism to the States, whilst average American citizens living abroad in Taiwan aren't really in a position to leave to get vaccinated and then come back. 

What do you mean by that?  I'm genuinely curious.

Not sure I would view it as "snobbery" to seek out the most effective versions of the vaccine, if that's the "vaccine tourism" you're referring to.

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

What do you mean by that?  I'm genuinely curious.

Not sure I would view it as "snobbery" to seek out the most effective versions of the vaccine, if that's the "vaccine tourism" you're referring to.

Back in early May there was more or less no covid 19 cases in Taiwan, and it had been this way since last year even. Some people (doctors, etc) were getting vaccinated with the az vaccine since this past March or April (that's what Taiwan had first received), but aside from healthcare staff (where it was mandatory), the general public groups that were allowed to vaccinate more or less all refused to take the az vaccine, as they wanted to wait for Pfizer or Moderna or something "better" .

As a result, only 1% of the island or something stupid like that had gotten vaccinated and when thd virus did slip through the cracks, suddenly there was a huge crises. Then everyone suddenly changed their tune and wanted to get the az jab.

The people on the island got complacent due to a false sense of security since there weren't many virus cases initially, but the situation is totally ignorant that everyone refused to take the az jab, then suddenly all are getting it now anyways. It was all caused by vaccine snobbery, people wanting to wait for certain brands over others, as a result hundreds of people died and many others ended up in financial hardship.

Taiwan is an island with a similar situation to Japan, i.e. it's elderly-heavy. As a result, that's why the Covid-19 death toll has been comparatively high when examining deaths vs population. It's also the reason why we had only 30 new cases today, and less than 20 cases per day all this past week , yet the whole island remains in a soft lockdown, despite the cases being concentrated up north. Compare this to basically any western country that is now starting to reopen, despite much higher numbers of cases.

TL:DR  To protect the large elderly population, we remain in a soft lockdown, despite there being few cases of covid-19. Although they were on the priority list for vaccinations, everyone refused to take the AZ jab, hoping for something "better", that's why we're in this situation to begin with.