IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

1 hour ago, Boosted52405 said:

Some act like their "freedom" = entitlement to put innocent bystanders in an uncomfortable state by not following requested guidelines.  Not much beats wearing a mask with an unmasked person coughing right behind you, when they're supposed to be 6 feet away and wearing a mask.

Last I checked isn't LIFE the first on the list of freedoms, you know life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?  I mean I don't reckon the other freedoms will be of much use if you're DEAD! 😛   Like Pee-Wee says, choosing not to get the vaccine is not just wrong...it could be DEAD WRONG. 😞 

18 hours ago, Tulpa said:

There were people last year who claimed that.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/04/04/ohio-church-service-covid-19-pandemic-tuchman-pkg-ac360-vpx.cnn

Wonder if some of them aren't alive anymore.

You reckon the snake handlers are like this too?  Oh I'll be alright, Goooooddddd's gonna protect me!  *gets fatally bit*

God: Well ya dummy I had those rattlesnakes shake their rattles at ya before they bit ya! 😄 

Edited by Estil

Took an Uber yesterday and this driver had on some terrible radio.

The host was talking about how the government is making you wear masks to control you just like in Germany. And the reason Hitler was able to kill so many Jews was because of the people who are civilized and do what they are told. He then said it's people personal responsibilty to get in better shape so that their bodies are strong enough if they get covid, but people are lazy and just sit around. Finally he said it's Biden's fault there is covid all over the U.S.; because he is shipping virus all over the U.S. There are thousands of people getting on through the souther border and they are being shipped all over the United States spreading covid.

I've heard bits and pieces of this stuff, but I've never heard it all put together in like 10 minutes. 

On 8/6/2021 at 2:02 AM, Boosted52405 said:

I think that handling of the event seems mostly reasonable - they are only accepting adults vaccinated with an "FDA or WHO authorized vaccine".

My concern would be this, however:

"The only exception, the policy states, will be for children under the age of 16, or those who need reasonable accommodations due to a disability or sincerely held religious beliefs."

I do think the branding is more of a concern in your location versus the states, at least from what I see day to day it's basically vaccinated or unvaccinated (with the 3 FDA approved ones).  As appropriate tho, they opened up the inclusion of AZ so that will likely be followed for future events modeled similarly.

There will ALWAYS be the people who fight all this though, so not sure anyone knows how to combat.  People will figure out a way to fake their vaccination cards (some already have), and unvaccinated people will still go into public places unmasked even when the establishment or their goverment requires it - because no one enforces anything

Some act like their "freedom" = entitlement to put innocent bystanders in an uncomfortable state by not following requested guidelines.  Not much beats wearing a mask with an unmasked person coughing right behind you, when they're supposed to be 6 feet away and wearing a mask.

Right, so vaccines have become political, and not just in the get vaccinated or not sense.

Let's have a goo, shall we?

The WHO currently approves these vaccines:

As of 3 June 2021, WHO has evaluated that the following vaccines against COVID-19 have met the necessary criteria for safety and efficacy:

AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine

Johnson and Johnson

Moderna

Pfizer/BionTech

Sinopharm

Sinovac

As seen from their website:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/covid-19-vaccines/advice

Broadway initially only allowed patrons with Moderna/Pfizer/J&J(?) to attend, before eventually opening up to AZ folks too. It's all being drawn up on political lines, banning literally half the world from attending such events, despite also being vaccinated (by approved WHO vaccines).

People are dropping like flies, everywhere, but with such policies as the one I outlined earlier, many folks don't want to get the China-made jabs, or AZ. Why? Because they realise that there's little "vaccine power" in such jabs, they will still be barred from normal activities abroad in places like the USA, which has been highlighted right out of the gate, from the Broadway incident. Due to this, people would rather take their chances and wait for a "powerful" vaccine than receive a "weak" one, despite the risk of death or sickness to themselves or others around them. 

So yeah, it's definitely so much more than just two groups of people, vaccinated and unvaccinated, we're turning it into an international thing, dare I even say a class* issue? 

*In many parts of the world, the rich will travel to the USA for Moderna vax, whereas the rest of the population will receive what the country manages to scrape up, AZ, China Vax, Russian Vax, etc...

7 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Right, so vaccines have become political, and not just in the get vaccinated or not sense.

Let's have a goo, shall we?

The WHO currently approves these vaccines:

As of 3 June 2021, WHO has evaluated that the following vaccines against COVID-19 have met the necessary criteria for safety and efficacy:

AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine

Johnson and Johnson

Moderna

Pfizer/BionTech

Sinopharm

Sinovac

As seen from their website:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/covid-19-vaccines/advice

Broadway initially only allowed patrons with Moderna/Pfizer/J&J(?) to attend, before eventually opening up to AZ folks too. It's all being drawn up on political lines, banning literally half the world from attending such events, despite also being vaccinated (by approved WHO vaccines).

People are dropping like flies, everywhere, but with such policies as the one I outlined earlier, many folks don't want to get the China-made jabs, or AZ. Why? Because they realise that there's little "vaccine power" in such jabs, they will still be barred from normal activities abroad in places like the USA, which has been highlighted right out of the gate, from the Broadway incident. Due to this, people would rather take their chances and wait for a "powerful" vaccine than receive a "weak" one, despite the risk of death or sickness to themselves or others around them. 

So yeah, it's definitely so much more than just two groups of people, vaccinated and unvaccinated, we're turning it into an international thing, dare I even say a class* issue? 

*In many parts of the world, the rich will travel to the USA for Moderna vax, whereas the rest of the population will receive what the country manages to scrape up, AZ, China Vax, Russian Vax, etc...

Except that in your linked example, they changed their stance and allowed WHO approved vaccinations.  Think positive on this front.  This whole process has evolved rapidly since day 1.  I imagine future events/protocols will also follow similarly as this continues to evolve.

And yes, of course, when you're dealing with ANYTHING international it will be deeply strung with politics - no avoiding that.  Even the act of creating the various vaccines has been a political nightmare.  I don't think there will be an international solution in that respect with what you're encountering.

5 hours ago, Boosted52405 said:

Except that in your linked example, they changed their stance and allowed WHO approved vaccinations.  Think positive on this front.  This whole process has evolved rapidly since day 1.  I imagine future events/protocols will also follow similarly as this continues to evolve

Okay, you got me there - though to be fair, the article doesn't mention either of the two China vaccinations by name, just the AZ vaccine.

I wonder how many Chinese would have to put up a fight to get in, with one of the Chinese vaccines?

Have just completed the 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. This one has hit me harder than the first, with more ache and heaviness to the injected arm, and a little hint of giddiness. Hopefully nothing more eventuates. 

Good luck to anyone yet to finish their vaccination course! 

• Like 4

On 8/6/2021 at 5:35 PM, fcgamer said:

Would you seriously take the Chinese vaccine or the Russian vaccine? Given ANY other option that is currently out there?

Though the tone/content of your posts confuses/surprises me a bit, holding up WHO-approval as if it would matter to you, given your previously stated feelings about them.

Edited by arch_8ngel

Feel the same about the WHO considering whose boot they seem to prefer licking.  But, if the world is fine bending over, and they have a list of what works, and that list matches the CDC which isn't in bed with them I can see why he'd fall in line on that.  Because if both of those feel the shots from various countries/companies are crap, that says a lot, politics be damned.  I would go without if China or Russia were my choices considering the news coming out saying their home grown stuff is mostly garbage.  When so much of those fail, relying on placebo effect may not be that much worse...why bother.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Would you seriously take the Chinese vaccine or the Russian vaccine? Given ANY other option that is currently out there?

Though the tone/content of your posts confuses/surprises me a bit, holding up WHO-approval as if it would matter to you, given your previously stated feelings about them.

I personally wouldn't have hesitated to take the Taiwan-made vaccine that will be rolled out in the near future. Regarding the Chinese and Russian vaccines (it appears that the Russian vaccine is not approved by the WHO), I'd probably go for the Russian one first, if I had to take one.

I don't like the corruption seen inside the WHO, and still feel strongly that this pandemic was caused in part by them. 

Regarding the vaccine situation as a whole, I've got friends from all over the world, thanks in part due to my Famiclone collecting hobby. So many of these guys outside of the rich western countries are fighting just to get AZ vaccines, or even stuff like the Russian or Chinese vaccines. We are truly lucky that we come from a country where we can get the top shelf vaccines. But if I lived in the Honduras or something, and covid-19 was killing all of my friends and neighbours, and probably spring for even one of the Chinese vaccines if it were the only one available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GPX said:

Have just completed the 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. This one has hit me harder than the first, with more ache and heaviness to the injected arm, and a little hint of giddiness. Hopefully nothing more eventuates. 

Good luck to anyone yet to finish their vaccination course! 

I just got my first one this morning. No issues so far!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Californication said:

I got my second dose of the first shot yesterday!

I had put it off because I was concerned about the possible heart related side effects as someone with underlying conditions and wanted to read up as much as possible and make an informed decision. I'm scheduled for my second shot on 9/30, then I should be good to go!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I had put it off because I was concerned about the possible heart related side effects as someone with underlying conditions and wanted to read up as much as possible and make an informed decision. I'm scheduled for my second shot on 9/30, then I should be good to go!

Congrats! I think the silver lining is we will have two months further out immunity than the people that got it immediately. 🙂

Just now, Californication said:

Congrats! I think the silver lining is we will have two months further out immunity than the people that got it immediately. 🙂

True. I was in no hurry to rush into being first, but that worked out since I should have a few extra months in case booster shots are needed eventually.

8 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

8 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Regarding the Chinese and Russian vaccines (it appears that the Russian vaccine is not approved by the WHO), I'd probably go for the Russian one first, if I had to take one.

I was reading about the lack of efficacy in China’s two vaccines, could be as low as 50.4% effective (where <50% a vaccine isn’t really considered to work...). Given that their vaccines have also been distributed to Brazil, Indonesia, Turkey, etc, it’s concerning. The more countries that are un- or under-vaccinated, the higher the likelihood of more new COVID variants emerging that could render the existing vaccines useless.

For the record, Pfizer and Moderna both show >90% efficacy (with Pfizer just slightly ahead), Johnson & Johnson at >70% (and >85% against severe COVID), AstraZeneca at >75%, and the new Novavax still under trial but showing >80%.

Edited by Tulpa

26 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I was reading about the lack of efficacy in China’s two vaccines, could be as low as 50.4% effective (where <50% a vaccine isn’t really considered to work...). Given that their vaccines have also been distributed to Brazil, Indonesia, Turkey, etc, it’s concerning. The more countries that are un- or under-vaccinated, the higher the likelihood of more new COVID variants emerging that could render the existing vaccines useless.

Agreed. It is too bad that the west does not want to help vaccinate other countries.

54 minutes ago, Californication said:

Agreed. It is too bad that the west does not want to help vaccinate other countries.

Yeah, it's too bad the USA is unwilling to donate anything... well, maybe apart from half a billion vaccines

Screenshot-from-2021-08-09-20-30-10.png

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/06/09/coronavirus-cases-variants-vaccines-united-states-cards/7610470002/

14 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Yeah, it's too bad the USA is unwilling to donate anything... well, maybe apart from half a billion vaccines

Screenshot-from-2021-08-09-20-30-10.png

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/06/09/coronavirus-cases-variants-vaccines-united-states-cards/7610470002/

This problem could be resolved pretty quickly by working with manufacturers in other countries to develop generics.

The U.S. blocked other countries from developing generics. Then when the U.S. said they would support generic manufacturing Germany stepped in and blocked it. 

And also that isn't that much. 200 million this year is enough to vaccinate 100 M people. Then next year 300 M doses would be enough to vaccinate 150 M people. 

250 million vaccinated people over 2021 and 2022 will not material reduce the virus from mutating.

Edited by Californication

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

The WHO says they're fine though... 

Some of the central American countries that recognise Taiwan diplomatically have been trying to pressure Taiwan for vaccines, under threats of switching diplomatic ties. Looking at the vaccine situation in Taiwan though, we have nothing to give.

Ultimately, these guys prefer Chinese vaccines to nothing. When I told my Argentinian buddy that I got the AZ vaccine, he thought I was a king, despite it being considered bottom of the barrel swill passed on from Japan's extra dregs.

Those living in the states are very lucky about their vaccine situation, and given that the pandemic is a world problem, everyone needs to work together to get this resolved.

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Nice to see we're back to locking folks in their apartments.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4267447

Oh come on you know you're making that up.  The CCP has made it quite clear they beat the virus months ago and it's all that western and evil taiwanese propaganda to make the party look stupid. 😄  Those guys are actually just painters, or maybe lead and asbestos removal? 😉

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Oh come on you know you're making that up.  The CCP has made it quite clear they beat the virus months ago and it's all that western and evil taiwanese propaganda to make the party look stupid. 😄  Those guys are actually just painters, or maybe lead and asbestos removal? 😉

I thought such health hazards as asbestos weren't used in China 😄

It's good to see those benevolent guys always have the citizens backs lol

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

I thought such health hazards as asbestos weren't used in China 😄

It's good to see those benevolent guys always have the citizens backs lol

Gee shoot you're right, rather not get a visit at the door.  I meant old shredded chinese newspapers and dried out apple cores with all the surplus from their energy bars... woops did it again.

1885 mandatory vaccine riots -- some things just don't change.  I'm mixed on it.  I mean I get it, forcing people like they're prisoners or under a dictatorship to get this OR ELSE is bullshit.  But, at the same point, if you don't force it, either directly or indirectly then scumbag piece of shit anti-vaxxers can spread their stupidity first, then their diseases around their asinine behavior causing a worse issue as things potentially mutate.

I kind of hate to say it as NYC sucks, but that Key to the City stuff isn't such a bad idea, perhaps make it even more nasty.  No longer allowed to go to public places where more than X people can be under the same roof.  Can't do crap about outdoors, but indoors, could make it virtually impossible to live (get supplies, essentials, groceries, etc) without getting medicated.  Isolate them in their homes, if that means losing their job, starving etc, that's their choice, their choice alone.

I know there would be push back, already is, of the nonsense order, like that black female mayor of Boston -- the bitch claimed forcing people to get the shot is some Jim Crow level of racism.  Somehow medication is racist.  Given they're making the shots FREE to anyone who makes the attempt to show up at a pharmacy, clinic, hospital, etc...whatever.  Shots aren't racist, stupid politicians looking to gin up idiots are.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1