IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Two weeks later, Dr. Alexander Ross, one of the anti-vaccination city council members who had incited the protesters, was stopped aboard the Chicago Express train from Montreal by a Canadian health inspector, the St. Louis Post Dispatch reported. A search revealed "the great advocate of the ignorant antivaccination party had been vaccinated recently."

4 hours ago, avatar! said:

Two weeks later, Dr. Alexander Ross, one of the anti-vaccination city council members who had incited the protesters, was stopped aboard the Chicago Express train from Montreal by a Canadian health inspector, the St. Louis Post Dispatch reported. A search revealed "the great advocate of the ignorant antivaccination party had been vaccinated recently."

I would think if anything, and if this was done like the movies (oh boy I hope and pray this DOESN'T end up like the movies) the rioting would be from NOT getting or running out of the vaccine.  Go figure.

11 minutes ago, Estil said:

I would think if anything, and if this was done like the movies (oh boy I hope and pray this DOESN'T end up like the movies) the rioting would be from NOT getting or running out of the vaccine.  Go figure.

Main difference between movies and real life is that real life is a LOT stupider.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/h-scott-apley-chair-of-galveston-county-texas-gop-mocked-covid-days-before-he-died-of-virus

A GOP official from Texas who regularly espoused anti-vaccine and anti-mask views online has died from COVID-19, five days after posting a meme on Facebook questioning the wisdom of getting inoculated against COVID.

Dickinson City Council member and State Republican Executive Committee member H. Scott Apley, 45, died in a local hospital around 3 a.m. Wednesday morning, according to a GoFundMe page set up to help Apley’s family with expenses. He was admitted to the facility in Galveston on Sunday with “pneumonia-like symptoms,” and was hooked up to a ventilator as his condition worsened. His wife was also infected, the family said.

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/h-scott-apley-chair-of-galveston-county-texas-gop-mocked-covid-days-before-he-died-of-virus

A GOP official from Texas who regularly espoused anti-vaccine and anti-mask views online has died from COVID-19, five days after posting a meme on Facebook questioning the wisdom of getting inoculated against COVID.

Dickinson City Council member and State Republican Executive Committee member H. Scott Apley, 45, died in a local hospital around 3 a.m. Wednesday morning, according to a GoFundMe page set up to help Apley’s family with expenses. He was admitted to the facility in Galveston on Sunday with “pneumonia-like symptoms,” and was hooked up to a ventilator as his condition worsened. His wife was also infected, the family said.

Good, they won't be missed. No need for the anti vaxing rhetoric, hopefully the rest die off or get scared and get jabbed.

Social Team · Posted

So does anyone think that this might be a real life Darwin effect that will show it's effect in future elections due to most anti-vax/anti-mask being of the GOP political side of the isle?  You'd think the GOP would be concerned about their voter base being killed off.  Not like they got room to spare in Texas and purple states.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Angry 1

15 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

So does anyone think that this might be a real life Darwin effect that will show it's effect in future elections due to most anti-vax/anti-mask being of the GOP political side of the isle?  You'd think the GOP would be concerned about their voter base being killed off.  Not like they got room to spare in Texas and purple states.

Maybe if we had fully representative and high voter turnout, in the first place.

What we really end up with here, is a situation where it becomes a question of which side is more motivated to show up to vote based on how events turned out.  A bunch of "R" voters dying -- well, if that fires up their base and they build the right narrative around it could have the opposite impact of what you describe.

9 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

It's just the fringe groups of each party refusing the vaccine. I don't know a single conservative who isn't vaxxed but know 3 liberals who refused it. However in PA were over 70% of adults who are vaxxed so at this point it's well over the majority of people. 

Even the face of the anti covid policy Ron DeSantis has endorsed the vaccine from the gate. Hell, even Shapiro has endorsed the vaccine and masking when in crowded areas since March 2020. 

If anything, the GOP won't miss any of the nut jobs dropping out of the voting pool. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tenjikuronin said:

1629064300094.jpg

I think they issued a correction to that story.  Being inclusive and sensitive of the Talibans feelings and religion, they're now only blocking the men from entering if they're not fully vaccinated as the women are considered property not people. 😉

• Haha 1

An Alabama doctor watched patients reject the coronavirus vaccine. Now he’s refusing to treat them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/08/18/alabama-doctor-unvaccinated-patients-valentine/

Good for this guy! People who refuse the vaccine for no valid reason do NOT deserve an ICU bed, which by the way, the entire state of Alabama is out of...

The Alabama doctor’s stance highlights the state’s challenges in getting residents inoculated at a time when another wave of the pandemic has been fueled by the highly transmissible delta variant and the millions of people who remain unvaccinated. Alabama has the lowest vaccination rate in the United States, with less than 36 percent of the population fully vaccinated, and Gov. Kay Ivey (R) recently said “it’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks” for the state’s surge in new cases and hospitalizations.

Well duh and duh...good on the doctor.  Taking the hippocratic (modern) oath in a still workable direction I see.

Like the gov said there, the problem they have the idiots caused on themselves or there would be no large spike in that state worse than others.  The oath says to help people and all that, but also weigh society needs and benefits.  Those who didn't bother, didn't care, fear the so called untested gov't juice -- they can wait in line for those who did the right thing or were in the process.  ICU.... Doc says I C U later, maybe. 😛

On 8/16/2021 at 11:54 AM, FireHazard51 said:

Dude, for real?  What everyone should know is that this virus doesn't know nor care less about a person's political orientation.  All I know is, this lifelong Republican (yes I voted for Trump both times...and Bush both times, deal with it) most definitely is playing it safe right from the start and I am eternally grateful that I can self-isolate/self-quarantine to the extent I'm able to and that as a lifelong introvert it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it no doubt would for more extroverted types.   Right from the start I felt especially bad for those in medical and grocery types (I did in fact work at a local grocery store from 2004-10) of occupations as for them the show must go on no matter what and they must be around people (including covid ones) all the time.

And you bet I got that vaccine as soon as I was able to, especially considering that they would not allow me to visit my wife in the nursing home without it, for obvious reasons.  Look I can only speak for and be responsible for only myself and I most definitely have and will continue to do everything I can not to get this nasty virus because it does not sound like any fun. 😞 

Umm, I hope I'm not sounding too alarmist but is there a possiblity even the vaccinated folks may have to resume self-isolation?  What I mean by that is will I still be able to continue to visit my grandma (we're both vaccinated of course) and play cards with her and work on my puzzle (it's a neat 1000 piece one about all the different sports HOF's)?  Because before we got the vaccine we hadn't been able to do that for a little over a year after the covid thing got started last year...and my grandma just turned 89 so who knows how much longer I'll have to spend this quality time with her? 😞   And I think it's good for me to get away from the electronics for a few hours a week, no?

7 hours ago, Estil said:

Umm, I hope I'm not sounding too alarmist but is there a possiblity even the vaccinated folks may have to resume self-isolation?

Yes, if it mutates into a vaccine resistant strain.

Which is possible if the virus keeps spreading among the unvaccinated.

Edited by Tulpa

To wit...

https://news.yahoo.com/radio-host-regretted-vaccine-hesitancy-004349441.html

Radio host who regretted vaccine skepticism dies of Covid

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A conservative talk radio host from Tennessee who had been a vaccine skeptic until he was hospitalized from COVID-19 has died. He was 61.

Nashville radio station SuperTalk 99.7 WTN confirmed Phil Valentine's death in a tweet Saturday.

Valentine had been a skeptic of coronavirus vaccines. But after he tested positive for COVID-19, and prior to his hospitalization, he told his listeners to consider, “If I get this COVID thing, do I have a chance of dying from it?” If so, he advised them to get vaccinated. He said he chose not to get vaccinated because he thought he probably wouldn’t die.

Edited by Tulpa

3 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Yes, if it mutates into a vaccine resistant strain.

Which is possible if the virus keeps spreading among the unvaccinated.

Oh goodie... 😞   C'mon folks, if you can get vaccinated, please do!  For those who have this whole "I don't need it, Gooooooood's gonna take care of me!" attitude, God IS taking care of you by us having the vaccine and it got done pretty darn quick all things considered!  As for that Valentine guy saying it wasn't needed because "he thought he probably wouldn't die"...DUDE!  Even if it doesn't kill you just having to deal with the virus at all does not sound like any fun at all 😞 

Forgive me, I just don't like seeing people die or get super sick so needlessly is all. 😞  Of course the fact that I lost my wife as well as our first cat at least a decade too early (in terms of average life expectancy) might have something to do with that. 😞 

Edited by Estil