IGNORED

What's new in your collection/Pick-up Thread !!!

Galdius

This is the last month where the Wii U will allow funds to be added to the eShop, so I picked up a fifty dollar eShop card and started to browse one last time.

I figured I should look through the Smash for Wii U DLC and see if there was anything I wanted. Amongst all the stupid guest fighters and K-tier Nintendo characters, there was a single character that actually deserved to be in a Nintendo all-star crossover.

1015416063_MewtwoJoins!Resized.png.a46469961a99fe266c7aa510290b421a.png

The DLC stages all sucked, but the Mii costumes really caught my attention. In the end I only bought three, and I made a special effort to take cool snapshots to show them off! 😙

1609148205_BrittanyTakamuraOutfitResized.png.76318366ca95d2c4cfb21ec57b83b8d6.png
Sword Fighter Brittany in the Takamura outfit. (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)

1431799074_CassandraJackyOutfitResized.png.6e5570dc3909c9de03ea9582d4a8e413.png
Brawler Cassandra in the Jacky Bryant outfit. (Virtua Fighter)

661627622_HelenaRockmanEXEOutfitResized.png.2a3b01f8206d105b09b140504de6ee94.png
Gunner Helena in the Rockman.EXE outfit. (Mega Man Battle Network)

While I don't own Hyrule Warriors yet, I took the chance to buy the DLC that adds Marin from Link's Awakening as a playable character. She's a beautiful and mysterious maiden on the surface, but there's a mischievous side to her that's only showcased in the many Easter eggs hidden in Link's Awakening.

273315099_Marin2.png.718e765a47b2057d6abf982751f3c381.png

She's a wonderfully oddball character with more going on than you'd first think, and I hope Team Ninja was smart enough to incorporate her wild side.

432782874_PushmoWorld.png.810e803eeb6160f64a0abe2f1002b506.png

Nintendo usually used the Wii U eShop as a dumping ground for software they had no confidence in, but Pushmo World was a rare exception where the game was designed to be affordable and worthwhile. If you're looking through the Wii U eShop this month, make sure to pick this one up.

Finally we end on a weird one, with the baseball club pass for Wii Sports Club.

590761616_ClubPassScreen.png.cc4c13c8d677172e6bdd38d3f301b313.png

In order to play any of the sports in the digital version, you needed to buy a membership pass. Your options were to pay two dollars for a pass that gave you access to everything for twenty-four hours, or you could pay FIFTEEN dollars for a pass that gave you permanent access... to ONE of the sports of your choice. 🤑

Nintendo released a physical version a year later without any micro-transactions, but nobody cared due to the digital version's reputation. What makes the digital version an interesting prospect these days is that the physical version is really expensive.

The digital version offers a twenty-four hour free trial, so I was able to try out each sport and decide which one I should buy. Baseball was the only sport that was actually improved in the remake, as it makes really clever use of the GamePad and Wii Motion Plus.

1162374524_MindyBaseball.png.336e7e9db5da325a928bd2f175eb0c96.png

Catching fly balls with the GamePad works flawlessly, is completely intuitive, and is fun and satisfying to do. It simulates the action so well that it gives a tiny glimpse into what the GamePad may have been capable of with a bit more creativity.

The other sports didn't fare so well with their new control schemes, so I got the best part of Wii Sports Club for fifteen dollars; and saved ninety dollars by not buying the physical version!

1982107937_BaseballWin.png.ef2a601ef4c61453678fa24b196d641c.png

The Wii U eShop is honestly an unremarkable platform with little to offer, but I did manage to get some great stuff. I'm really happy with everything I got, and really happy about everything I left behind. 🙂

Edited by Lynda Monica
Fixed some things. I kind of obsessed over this post for some reason.
  • Like 8

Value Village pickups: 

image.jpeg.94c14f7c037d88c2f8d401894863f453.jpeg

image.jpeg.0e82aa316775f7b31966be9508259227.jpeg

Not all that into Game of Thrones, but I found the first season on Blu-ray for cheap.

image.jpeg.62bee57493c432211886b4be3e5fec00.jpeg

halodvdpic2.jpg.b6b2ee7c957550c3eb2ddd30c22f9a1f.jpg

Also found this Halo DVD, which I'm a little more interested in.

The Salvation Army pickups: 

image.jpeg.4f1f00695c50a25e2ea88ad28cf3b972.jpeg

image.jpeg.75b0ea157058ead17d58a84ede01ff8c.jpeg

image.jpeg.a25a263c388de6c52b44cd3d94492c1f.jpeg

image.jpeg.e0682864a6ac8658ba38b2dd745548c6.jpeg

Don't see Game Boy games very often at my local Salvation Army. Both the Toy Story game and the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon compilation were $7 Canadian. Not much else worth buying. Most of the other games there were games I already have (like Tetris) and games I'm not really interested in.

I used to rent the SNES version of Toy Story in 2000 or so. While I did kind of like it, I'm probably going to purchase the Genesis version someday since that version appears to be the best version overall (more voices, more music, more levels...more of just about everything). The Game Boy version is pretty slow and choppy. but many things I remember from the SNES version are in it. The "Strange Things" music from the movie (played on the title screen) sounds both funny and awesome on the Game Boy.

image.jpeg.ad0d1dd56705410dc6ae3823809653dc.jpeg

image.jpeg.b5b17953de2d8d9cb55cc6924802623d.jpeg

image.jpeg.df6a0dfb99c47f07484e05b1887aab95.jpeg

My local Salvation Army actually had some games for the GameCube for a change. Again, there were some games I already have (such as From Russia With Love and Splinter Cell: Double Agent). I decided to buy The Sims. No manual included, but the game does work. It was also $7 like the Game Boy games, which I think is reasonable.

Before I could even look at these games, I had to wait for a guy who was grabbing some games from the cabinet. I was worried that he was going to take most of the good stuff. He took some Xbox games (Xbox 360 I think) and Super Mario Galaxy 2. While I was a bit disappointed that he took Super Mario Galaxy 2, I was glad he didn't take the GameCube and Game Boy stuff I had my eyes on.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

Value Village pickups: 

image.jpeg.94c14f7c037d88c2f8d401894863f453.jpeg

image.jpeg.0e82aa316775f7b31966be9508259227.jpeg

Not all that into Game of Thrones, but I found the first season on Blu-ray for cheap.

image.jpeg.62bee57493c432211886b4be3e5fec00.jpeg

halodvdpic2.jpg.b6b2ee7c957550c3eb2ddd30c22f9a1f.jpg

Also found this Halo DVD, which I'm a little more interested in.

The Salvation Army pickups: 

image.jpeg.b67aa5b6282561d4a767a4f09431a8ac.jpeg

image.jpeg.75b0ea157058ead17d58a84ede01ff8c.jpeg

image.jpeg.a25a263c388de6c52b44cd3d94492c1f.jpeg

image.jpeg.e0682864a6ac8658ba38b2dd745548c6.jpeg

Don't see Game Boy games very often at my local Salvation Army. Both the Toy Story game and the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon compilation were $7 Canadian. Not much else worth buying. Most of the other games there were games I already have (like Tetris) and games I'm not really interested in.

I used to rent the SNES version of Toy Story in 2000 or so. While I did kind of like it, I'm probably going to purchase the Genesis version someday since that version appears to be the best version overall (more voices, more music, more levels...more of just about everything). The Game Boy version is pretty slow and choppy. but many things I remember from the SNES version are in it. The "Strange Things" music from the movie (played on the title screen) sounds both funny and awesome on the Game Boy.

image.jpeg.ad0d1dd56705410dc6ae3823809653dc.jpeg

image.jpeg.b5b17953de2d8d9cb55cc6924802623d.jpeg

image.jpeg.df6a0dfb99c47f07484e05b1887aab95.jpeg

My local Salvation Army actually had some games for the GameCube for a change. Again, there were some games I already have (such as From Russia With Love and Splinter Cell: Double Agent). I decided to buy The Sims. No manual included, but the game does work. It was $10. Fair, I guess.

Before I could even look at these games, I had to wait for a guy who was grabbing some games from the cabinet. I was worried that he was going to take most of the good stuff. He took some Xbox games (Xbox 360 I think) and Super Mario Galaxy 2. While I was a bit disappointed that he took Super Mario Galaxy 2, I was glad he didn't take the GameCube and Game Boy stuff I had my eyes on.

I actually just picked up the Japanese version of the sims for the GC too! I’ve been looking online for months and one finally showed up CIB for $10 too.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Brickman said:

I actually just picked up the Japanese version of the sims for the GC too! I’ve been looking online for months and one finally showed up CIB for $10 too.

Nice. I need to buy more Japanese imports.

I checked the price tag again and I actually paid $7 (price tag is shown in picture above; little hard to see), which I think is reasonable.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

Nice. I need to buy more Japanese imports.

I checked the price tag again and I actually paid $7 (price tag is shown in picture above; little hard to see), which I think is reasonable.

Yeah there’s definitely some solid exclusives from Japan for the GC. From your blog post it looked like you had most of the ones that don’t require you to know Japanese.

• Agree 1

I recently got bitten by the Star Wars RPG bug again after years of dormancy, so I started looking around to see what books I could get my hands on reasonably.  While I haven't found a lot of what I've been specifically looking for, I have had some luck with some peripheral books here and there over the last month or so.

spacer.png

I picked up the bottom 5 books (plus a WEG D6 Star Wars module not pictured that's getting traded back for another book) while on a visit to my grandmother's house with the kids.  I got the guy to bundle everything for a good deal, then managed to get a couple of things in place of one of the books he had listed but couldn't actually find.  The Star Trek books are totally new to me (besides remembering seeing them in B. Dalton back in the day), while the others are duplicates.  The main Star Wars book was one I wanted so I didn't beat up my old first print copy I'd had for years.  The other two books (plus the module) were substitutions for stuff that was listed, but the seller couldn't find.

The Genesys book was included in a large tub of books that I'll discuss later.  The Star Wars D20 books were found locally at a toy/hobby shop that I discovered through FB that I wasn't aware existed.  The two FFG Star Wars books came from a hobby shop I've been going to since around 1995 that I hadn't had a chance (or excuse) to visit since before my son was born.  The Star Wars Essential Atlas came straight from Amazon, and was a great deal and value for all the maps and background source information within.

spacer.png

These all came from a local branch of a regional used bookstore (and now media) chain, Mr. K's (a variant but basically the same as McKay's).  The beginner Star Wars sets were cheap enough, and, while missing a few things (mainly the dice included and the first sheet which explains what an RPG is), were a decent deal.  The GM Kit was a steal, as it included more info on how the FFG game worked, as well as the sturdiest, most well built GM screen I'd seen to that point.  The last book was something totally unexpected and had never seen before, a sourcebook for Chill.

spacer.png

Lastly, I got this supposed-to-be-complete set of Edge of Empire FFG books (including one duplicate that I'd already bought), plus game cards, plus two 5E D&D boxed sets (Starter Set & Essentials Kit), a 5E D&D sourcebook (Eberron: Rising from the Last War), two small sets of D&D compatible game cards, two 5E D&D card decks (Ranger's spells & Level 0-5 Monsters), a 5E compatible adventure, and seven D&D compatible adventure booklets.  Saw it on FB Marketplace while at the beach and picked it up for a steal compared to both what was originally being asked as well as what all the stuff (in mostly like new shape, with a few professionally printed & bound copies of books/guides) cost new.

All in all I'm happy with everything, although after forcing myself to read through the first couple of chapters of the FFG Star Wars core book a few times, I can confidently say I'm not at all a fan of that system and will be sticking with my WEG D6 roots for the foreseeable future.  Haven't really had much luck finding any D6 stuff outside of the couple of books I picked up while at my grandmother's, but I've got a line out with a friend a couple of hours north of me who thinks he's found someone with a big pile of the stuff.  If anybody reading this happens to have any pre-FFG Star Wars RPG stuff, feel free to shoot me a PM.

• Like 6

I had this work meeting/lunch off site, it was down further the road I go to check those retail spaces in town once a week typically.  The other day I was in, they had these three games in someone put a note on to save for the evening they'd buy, shocking stuff.  Well the guy came and rejected two of them, I can get it on one, but I can't wrap my mind around why on the other.  Surprised to see it, I bought it.

I like the price, it was $44.99 and after getting it out of there re-reading the sticker twice, they mislabeled it badly, they looked up what the company sells Donkey Kong Classics NES for (the DK+DKjr combo cart) complete in box.  WOOPS. 🙂

Now I need to find a manual, it's missing, but I see the recent sales are $10-20 range so yay. 🙂  Box is in not the best shape, missing the right interior tab, hangtab is attached in the rear still, and the sticker is still attached to the face of the box and not missing too.  Looks to me like I got some nice new wall art, or insane trade bait given what in this shape it books for. 😄

Anyone got a manual?

dk-nes-blackbox1.JPG

dk-nes-blackbox2.JPG

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 6
  • Wow! 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I had this work meeting/lunch off site, it was down further the road I go to check those retail spaces in town once a week typically.  The other day I was in, they had these three games in someone put a note on to save for the evening they'd buy, shocking stuff.  Well the guy came and rejected two of them, I can get it on one, but I can't wrap my mind around why on the other.  Surprised to see it, I bought it.

I like the price, it was $44.99 and after getting it out of there re-reading the sticker twice, they mislabeled it badly, they looked up what the company sells Donkey Kong Classics NES for (the DK+DKjr combo cart) complete in box.  WOOPS. 🙂

Now I need to find a manual, it's missing, but I see the recent sales are $10-20 range so yay. 🙂  Box is in not the best shape, missing the right interior tab, hangtab is attached in the rear still, and the sticker is still attached to the face of the box and not missing too.  Looks to me like I got some nice new wall art, or insane trade bait given what in this shape it books for. 😄

Anyone got a manual?

dk-nes-blackbox.JPG

A robbery had been committed here 😂 good job man! That would go into the collection for me as the original DK has always been a favorite arcade game of mine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Anyone got a manual?

dk-nes-blackbox.JPG

Absolutely killer deal! Nice work on grabbing that one.

The box actually looks pretty nice considering what they normally look like for a lot of the black box games.

@RegularGuyGamer Yeah pretty much, shots fired and all that.  It came in a box protector so I can only guess.  The store from memory aside from the 3 DK titles (none with manuals) had the rest that were CIB but the prices were ebay paid parity.  SuperC, Battletoads, Goonies II, Castlevania, and a few others that escape me of no great wow factor.  As it is, my first thought on this was keeping it, shadowboxing it like my CIB Castlevania which is in utterly magnificent shape and placing it next to it on the wall.

The other thought was, maybe doing my touchups, but given what @Brickman there said my thoughts drifted there too.  You're right, most blackbox games the cardboard is in far worse shape with both tabs gone, hang tab ripped away from the rear if not shredding the top flap some(or through) and that's not the case here, just well...wear, it's not smashed.  At 5ft away or so you can't even see much of it at all, it's a nice piece of 8bit art.  I mean I won't lie the value is there I don't quite feel right doing it, but i do have the perfect tool to match that black 100%, but I'd know I did it, and how few of them are largely intact still, I'd rather not vs something so much more common.

I just mentioned the trade thing, if it were something obscenely right, like when I got C&D RR2 for quite cheap all things considered, but that's done. 😉

EDIT: I updated the last post with 2 better front and now back images for those interested.

Edited by Tanooki

23 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

@RegularGuyGamer Yeah pretty much, shots fired and all that.  It came in a box protector so I can only guess.  The store from memory aside from the 3 DK titles (none with manuals) had the rest that were CIB but the prices were ebay paid parity.  SuperC, Battletoads, Goonies II, Castlevania, and a few others that escape me of no great wow factor.  As it is, my first thought on this was keeping it, shadowboxing it like my CIB Castlevania which is in utterly magnificent shape and placing it next to it on the wall.

The other thought was, maybe doing my touchups, but given what @Brickman there said my thoughts drifted there too.  You're right, most blackbox games the cardboard is in far worse shape with both tabs gone, hang tab ripped away from the rear if not shredding the top flap some(or through) and that's not the case here, just well...wear, it's not smashed.  At 5ft away or so you can't even see much of it at all, it's a nice piece of 8bit art.  I mean I won't lie the value is there I don't quite feel right doing it, but i do have the perfect tool to match that black 100%, but I'd know I did it, and how few of them are largely intact still, I'd rather not vs something so much more common.

I just mentioned the trade thing, if it were something obscenely right, like when I got C&D RR2 for quite cheap all things considered, but that's done. 😉

Definitely do not put any marker or anything on that box, the value for me would go down further and many hangtab and sticker seal collectors would not be happy. I had a black box clu clu land years ago and it had all marker touch up on it from the previous owner and any time I held the box it just jumped out so I found an upgrade and sold it off.

Being a sticker seal is a fantastic deal for that price, correct manual aren’t that hard to find, I don’t think I have a spare though. I would love an extra sticker seal but I doubt I have any trade bait for you. Nice job on the pickup though.

1 minute ago, Goodvibes said:

Definitely do not put any marker or anything on that box, the value for me would go down further and many hangtab and sticker seal collectors would not be happy. I had a black box clu clu land years ago and it had all marker touch up on it from the previous owner and any time I held the box it just jumped out so I found an upgrade and sold it off.

Being a sticker seal is a fantastic deal for that price, correct manual aren’t that hard to find, I don’t think I have a spare though. I would love an extra sticker seal but I doubt I have any trade bait for you. Nice job on the pickup though.

No I agree I just showed my thought process leading towards a NO on that.  I'm like 90/10 keeping it something really would have to be such a juicy carrot to even consider it, same with my Castlevania.

I'd be more inclined to dangle my sealed pokemon red locally for cash(well cash n' trade) so I can get paid and replace it with a clean mint CIB one to keep in a frame.  Sealed isn't my jam but these are nice.

Also just re-did the image there if you missed it and added the rear.

July Jumbos

Let's start with some sweet MD rentals - played all of these a ton in my childhood, not that I owned the rentals as a kid:

a92CmqZ.jpg

Raw7Rta.jpg

VGS partner homebrew and some other homebrews from Mega Cat Studios:

TrJGaeC.jpg

Premium Edition games wave 3:

zPSWrBQ.jpg

Big purchase from Red Art Games - I've only purchased their Vita catalogue before this:

qHEQccC.jpg

More miscellaneous arrivals including Doom Classics Collection PS4 replacement disc:

SrWNPAq.jpg

qll8CS8.jpg

wIuNwq5.jpg

And 2 VGM vinyls to top it all off:

AbmoXUN.jpg

Qeoz3Ff.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

The first yard sale I we went to my buddy asked if there were games around and granny said she wasn't ready to bring the playstation out. Thank god the son, who was easily in his late 40s, told her to suck it up and bring em out.

There was an absolute stack of PS1 games, probably 15 games and only two weren't sports games 😑 I ended up getting  the PS1, Area 51 and Loaded for $4. My buddy kept Area 51 and let me get Loaded so long as I kept it in my collection. 

I know Loaded get a bad rap but I always liked the game. Even the sequel. I'm glad to have the variant in the collection again. I just am going to have to put em back to back and mess up the alphabetical order.

2006251043_PXL_20220730_1952415532.jpg.cb89c59ce29bca2dd63492899f327528.jpg

I had two other jewel case variants in my day: Twisted Metal and Mortal Kombat 3. Looks like MK3 is the rarest one of the lot. 

• Like 6

I feel like I have been eyeballing this bad boy for 2-3 years. Got lucky on a best offer for $700. Very happy to knock another heavy off the list. 

I was a little nervous replacing the save battery on this one even though I’ve done it at least 100x

image.jpg

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 4
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1