IGNORED

What's new in your collection/Pick-up Thread !!!

Galdius

On 5/22/2022 at 8:04 PM, Tanooki said:

Today I did something that usually happens only a few times a year, might have been the first this year, I went across the river and hit 3 places I know of that can get nice things, two of the three worked out, the third I think I'll be writing off entirely for being now scummy.

The other two locations are basically indoor thrifts/peddler places where a store runs a big area and people pay for spaces inside for them to babysit/sell things for a cut.  The first had rows of cases of things from a guy who has spaces between near me and here, and in one, I found a nice Genesis game for a fair price -- Battletoads for $32, given the shape, a solid price.

The third place was a peddlers mall which is a chain of them on both sides of the river.  The cases didn't have much I'd want, but good stuff (like the other, a vendors village), but this one dude who has been there forever had these two nice items in the case.  They were a bit more than I wished combined at $95, so I made an offer and got the pair for $80. 😄  I never had Super Nova before(a Darius game), but Super Valis IV has been on my recovery list for awhile.  Both are in stunningly clean shape with shiny clear labels too.

IN-snes-gen.JPG.f86791308cb0e1857437065d2ec9e4a5.JPG

The other places if you're in southern Indiana, AVOID it, called Hollywood Video and Games.  You've been warned.  A 25-100% markup over ebay values makes me wonder if this old store will continue to last much longer.

Glen, the owner of Hollywood, was cool when he opened back in 2016 or so. I bought many a cib n64 game from them!

Edited by broncofantd793
Not specific enough and corrected year

On 5/22/2022 at 9:04 PM, Tanooki said:

The other places if you're in southern Indiana, AVOID it, called Hollywood Video and Games.  You've been warned.  A 25-100% markup over ebay values makes me wonder if this old store will continue to last much longer.

Feel free to add the location and your review.

https://www.videogamesage.com/databases/retro-video-game-stores/usa/indiana/

2 hours ago, avatar! said:

Very nice! Question - which Atari games are "rare", coveted, all that jazz?

There are many games with only 1 or 2 known copies in existence.

• Extra-Terrestrial
  • Gamma Attack
  • Red Sea Crossing
  • Superman (yellow text)
  • Karate (Ultravision)
  • Birthday Mania

Then there are rare games like:

• Air Raid
  • Malagai
  • Music Machine

And then there are LOTS of very uncommon games, too many to list. Atari had no licensing requirements so anyone in their basement could put an advertisement in a magazine to sell games, sell and ship 5 copies and then decide to quit making that game. That happened often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, broncofantd793 said:

Glen, the owner of Hollywood, was cool when he opened back in 2016 or so. I bought many a cib n64 game from them!

That's a shame.  I've been there in the years before the lame virus and I guess it was nearer to when they opened.  I remember games being at/a bit under ebay being regionally fair, same would be said on the toys and the second hand movies were a good deal.  Now it's a hot mess, I hate to wish a business to fold, but as it sits now it would be to the benefit of multiple communities.

I went to the Holyoke Mall in Massachusetts twice this weekend, there is now a retro games store in the mall called Stateline Video Games that has loose/cib games and systems for just about every major system with prices ranging from good finds to premium prices. They even have a rack full of magazines loaded with Nintendo Powers, and an original Turtles in Time machine in the shop. The store is about 4 times as big as this one picture makes it look.

The best finds were definitely the two Master System games, rare 1990 late release USA games at European prices. Both are steals, particularly Dick Tracy. NBA Give N Go was $10 and I also picked up a Ken Griffey's Winning Run for $5 and a CIB After Burner II for Genesis for $25. The most expensive items I saw were a cart only Earthbound for $500 and a CIB Pokemon Red for $500. Also a CIB Gold N64 for $400. Tons of "desirable" games in the shop for sure

c4SOgb0.jpg

yDFwGRw.jpg

0RRIo1P.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Been a bit, got a couple images.

To start, the heavy here was an on site trade, out went Great Greed+manual and in comes Pocky & Rocky which I used to own, we're both happy with the outcome and he got his game and manual too. 😉

And then today... I had a couple free hours, which started out initially poor, but a lame goodwill oddly turned up the Genesis goodies for $15 combined.  Damn that WWF game is surprisingly good, was told it was the best release, checking into it, I'd believe it.  And well the rest, the next stop was this one case at a peddlers mall, and $25 later I got 2/3 of the original quality JVC runs of Super Star Wars + ESB.  Finally, half price, the one near my home not the other away from here, another $45+30 later got me into Mario Superstar Baseball and a super clean n shiny SMAS+Mario World combo cart I'm happy to have again too.  A good day, hadn't had any local finds in the last week, can't complain this works for me. 🙂

pockyrocky.JPG.c3e5549a3b1c5be581cc8f9983311290.JPG

may30finds.thumb.JPG.ba88df079b5df1d0ac5fb6c22d4b2114.JPG

• Like 9
  • Love 1

This took a bit to get but this is a full US set for the Pokemon mini system, cute little thing.  It has an interesting history since they didn't really sell this in a 'videogame' section and more so a toy section, but it didn't sell much here at all and most of the games didn't make it in turn, yet it has ESRB ratings and other 'gamey' like designations. I mostly sprung for this because my fiancee would be into something like this, but I think it's a neat novelty to own if you're into Pokemon stuff. It operates more so along the lines of the Tamagotchi or VMU on Dreamcast sorts of things rather than a dedicated game system, but it has IR functionality and other things too.

20220601_194822.jpg

Edited by goldenpp72
  • Like 10
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, goldenpp72 said:

This took a bit to get but this is a full US set for the Pokemon mini system, cute little thing.  It has an interesting history since they didn't really sell this in a 'videogame' section and more so a toy section, but it didn't sell much here at all and most of the games didn't make it in turn, yet it has ESRB ratings and other 'gamey' like designations. I mostly sprung for this because my fiancee would be into something like this, but I think it's a neat novelty to own if you're into Pokemon stuff. It operates more so along the lines of the Tamagotchi or VMU on Dreamcast sorts of things rather than a dedicated game system, but it has IR functionality and other things too.

20220601_194822.jpg

Good job, I let go of the one I had a year ago, had those games, also the best game on the system, Pokemon Tetris, the english one sucks hard on price, but you can get a really decent price with the Japanese release.  It's pretty solid because you never know what will come up in the catch box as you nail down lines, and if you can kill off a TETRIS whatever is in the box, that's your catch.  It gives incredible replay value with the added pokedex goal.  Essentially this entire device is like a Digimon battler as they linked up too, but if they had carts to swap out things.  There is a DIY(sorta but not) thing called a DITTO for this, you can get the costly games that way as it's a flash kit, but there's a solid community at a pokemon mini website where many new games/apps have been made to very well widen your choices.  As I started streamlining what I cared to keep was about when I was going to pull the trigger on one, I had the research but just never hit the buy button, but I do recommend you do.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, bowser said:

Local pickup yesterday. Everything for $150 including the Lens Cleaning Kit and official Wii U gamepad extended battery!

DjqiJw9.jpg

I legit bought as many of those Wii u lense cleaning kits Nintendo would let me when they were up on their site. One of the best speculations I ever made. Great find!

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
On 5/29/2022 at 6:15 PM, avatar! said:

Very nice! Question - which Atari games are "rare", coveted, all that jazz?

In general, if you see games for a buck each, grab any Activision pic labels, Activision Blue labels, Spectravision, US Games, 20th Century Fox, or any non-sports Atari Red Label for easy flips.

There's way more to it, but that's a good rule for casual flippers.

I was back in the mall tonight checking out sports cards and Pokemon cards, but I ended up taking the lure of this. I'd seen it a few days ago and ended up deciding it's way too good of a deal to pass up. The coin alone is probably worth $20 and commemorates Kobe's jersey retirement with the Lakers in 2017. As for the game, I've always loved it and was still playing it years after release, still vividly remember getting this at my Grandparents house for Christmas 1999 and playing it on the big TV, blown away by all of the improvements from the original and how superior it was to every other N64 basketball game. The animated faces, eyes, mouths, and accuracy of the superstars and the motion capture by Kobe himself was so far above any N64 game before it. I still feel the 3 point contest in this game is better than any NBA game that has ever come since. And having Chick Hearn and Stu Lantz as the announce team in this game shortly before Chick passed away was magical and impressive for a cartridge game. This was also the last game to have Charles Barkley as an active player. And this is when Kobe was just starting to really explode as a mega star and still had a golden image in the public eye. The era where Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft all had their own exclusive NBA franchises and each console truly had its own identity. Those were the days. I think this game is very underrated, it was arguably better than the original NBA2K

NdTKxc0.jpg

• Like 9

One image, two parts.  Had a random rare free Saturday morning that started out crap, nothing flea market wise, and the first retail spot I don't bother with anymore out that way was ripoffish and lighter than ever.  Decided why not (and glad I did) to try the usual stuff I'd hit on a kids practice evening day in the week and bingo.  Game exchange I'm in there weekly basically, and in the case, two games I've been hunting for locally to get back... Arcana and Super Smash TV, they were like $5 and $10 off retail respectively so yay.  The RPG was a dumpster fire of metal stripped rental stickers and other funk inside and out so happy with that turn out.

As the rep was on the phone, guy came in with his pre-k looking kid and told his kid to hold on wanted to see if what he had they could bring in.  I mentioned to him they'll take basically anything and he lists off the modern sony and ms systems, then lastly the SNES.  Well...I poached game exchange.  I casually mentioned their trade in policy which is 10-20% there in trade, the lower in cash as he was cashing out.  I said to him you an see what I'm grabbing, if you don't mind I could try and do better if you want.  He followed me out when I left a moment later.  I see this box of tangled cables the other systems and stuff, and then well...that.  Not all, it was somewhat blind.  I didn't realize King of Dragons was in there or turtles.  The rest I did see as they weren't hiding and kind of bunched together.  I asked him what he wanted, he said he didn't care as he was just getting rid of it.  I wasn't flush with cash but I emptied out what I had minus a few bucks for food and a permanent $20 bill for emergency gas so I offered $80 and he was pleased.

When I realized after the fact those 2 heavies were in there I felt both happy and bad I didn't do a little more as I thought I had around 1/2 the cash out value there at that store.  Adding it up considering SMW (and QB too) with the console is worth $100, the games adding it up to $320 he did get 25% of the value so that beat out GX. 🙂

Also I'm shocked, that black device there, that's the Hyperkin 3in1 SNES/N64/GCN HDMI upscaler.  It actually works, and very well too, guess they have something other than the SupaboyS that isn't a piece of crap.  I'm keeping it, very handy if I take an original system to another tv.

snes-lotfindjune4.thumb.JPG.c9bc8c0d717052ca99b7911f8549490b.JPG

• Like 6

More new stuff. My office is a mess right now, I've pulled in more big hauls than I usually would. Just a crazy few weeks. 

First up is a couple Pokemon writing books from Japan: 

v7ZSSaq.jpg

A couple strategy guides, the SMB2 guide is an upgrade: 

Ke8NPmO.jpg

Here's more stuff I pulled out of a recent local haul. The first two GBA games are sealed, the thing with PS2 on it just has a blank notedpad inside, I think it's an employee only item because there's no retail info on it, the guy I got it from used to work at an electronics store during the PS2 era! 

73jP8Nt.jpg

Some VHS and DVDs, random stuff, Video Game Invasion is hosted by Tony Hawk, go figure: 

D8EcfUm.jpg

A BattPoke (no discs but the launcher works) and a random electronic pinball toy I haven't tested yet: 

RbDeXfp.jpg

And an ALS industries GBA carrying case and an old Tiger Electronics Family Feud game. And then the Bolt for DS was an eBay find, it's just a not-so-common later printing: 

9pM8Vc1.jpg

The next picture is... a couple hauls worth of GB games, plus a Tetris I won in an auction and a Donkey Kong NES Classics for GBA that I found via FB Marketplace. I did not plan to buy a bunch of GB games last month, it was just some opportunities came along and I had to take them. I am a sucker for these square boxes, there's no helping that. 

573lRcB.jpg

And lastly, another local haul. Last one for now!

khsPntP.jpg

• Like 9
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

New pickups:

Got a great bulk deal on the bit generations set for the GBA. Worked out to be $50 each which is a really good deal compared to what some of these go for individually and the prices are even crazier on ebay.

1.png.bcab165b406e9be5e4f453d1b2581168.png

Continued to add to the journey for a full GC collection. Knocked off a few of the more pricier items. Got Metroid Prime 2, Eternal Arcadia Legend and Nintendo Puzzle Collection for a great price. The Zelda Collection & Master Quest were a decent price but I still wish I had gotten it cheaper, they look to be pretty much untouched though which makes it a bit more bearable.

2.png.e413b9300293dd2c6cfa660ceba237a5.png

And finally just some commons knocked off:

3.png.8ea1a40cd74e7fa13df356630d701680.png

• Like 12

Here's a pic of recent pickups from the last few weeks.

Vanark and Psychosis are from a trade.  Addams Family, Wordtris, and Wheel of Fortune are from a separate trade.

Wrecking Crew was brought into a local store where I have been sandbagging credit with DVD and some game trade-ins.  CIB with hangtab.  

Alwa's Awakening recently arrived I'm the mail and I'm excited to try it out.

Astral Chain and M&L Dream Team were Gamestop finds.

Bomberman 2 and Time Killers are what's left from large lot I purchased a month or so ago.  Made my money back, kept these, and still have some trade fodder leftover.  

Overall, pretty solid.  Now I'm just waiting for garage saling to start paying dividends this year...

20220606_134248.jpg

• Like 8

Nice last couple of posts.  Those GBA games @Brickman got are fantastic, I used to have the set, wish things has been better ages ago I still would because now...nope, so a $50/avg is amazing, good on you.

And that interesting mix there @LutherDestroysTheGond got from here and there, trade and that, excellent, always nice to see that terrible bomberman 2 art for such an amazing tier quality game from that period.  Time Killer I forgot that hit the Genesis, I used to love/hate that offensively amusing old fighting game, nothing says awesome like the armless victory. 😉  Kind of curious how the leftovers will trickle out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

And that interesting mix there @LutherDestroysTheGond got from here and there, trade and that, excellent, always nice to see that terrible bomberman 2 art for such an amazing tier quality game from that period.  Time Killer I forgot that hit the Genesis, I used to love/hate that offensively amusing old fighting game, nothing says awesome like the armless victory. 😉  Kind of curious how the leftovers will trickle out.

Thanks!  Its been a grind lately but finding ways to make hunting worthwhile.  Local competition and soaring prices dont help.

What's left of my notable NES leftovers from that lot are in my FT thread 😅

6 hours ago, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

Thanks!  Its been a grind lately but finding ways to make hunting worthwhile.  Local competition and soaring prices dont help.

What's left of my notable NES leftovers from that lot are in my FT thread 😅

Yeah I saw that, there was one GB game I was trying to get before the stupidity of the last two years, but being trade I just looked what there was and figured someone else would do better with it. 😄  I agree entirely though, it's why if you've seen my comments, I'm just doing SNES and Genesis, only local to buy almost exclusively except for stupid to ignore deals online or trades there or local too.  It slows the pace, slows the bleed of money, and gives more time to enjoy.

• Agree 1