IGNORED

What's new in your collection/Pick-up Thread !!!

Galdius

Well I got these yesterday and today at retail, decent prices

Yesterdays goodies were Double Dragon II, Goonies II, and Offroad which I believe were $25 for the set.  Then today a local pawn/consignment shop very near by I got to know the owner, he let me scope this big tub of stuff he got earlier in the week, went back in today as they got largely priced.  As it's retail and what it is, nothing is less than $10 but sports junk, so $10/ea on Code Name Viper, Gyruss, Legendary Wings, and Milon.  Of those Gyruss is the only one I'm really familiar with so I'm happy with discovery.

There was quite a bit more, not a huge bit caught my eye, a few did but doing a quick peek the price wasn't there or they like Dr Chaos reviewed pretty badly.  Baseball Stars was $20 and amazing, that's fair, but I haven't the time so someone else can enjoy that.

nes-dec3-4.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

A few pick ups from this week with some PAL exclusives, a sealed Zelda game and the elusive Action 52 black board variant.

IMG_20211126_182812.jpg

IMG_20211204_134356.jpg

That gold punch out is my grail. Someday I hope to attain it but I currently keep looking for affordable auctions and have been getting outbid.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Agreed on Punchout, there were a few years ago I almost pulled the trigger on or just missed out.  I liked the idea of how that FC version was setup and then the backstory on the gold.  That picture makes me wish I still had TMNT TF though...ugh (Contra Force too.)  Maybe it's mental hype but not having bought NES games in years and recently getting 10 of them has been kind of fun and refreshing.

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

A few games arrived today, one of which being the last PS1 game I've been after: Galerians! It was surprising to see just how many copies there are out there missing discs or the manual, but the discs!? Strange. Either way, finally done with PS1!

Otherwise, I finally got a copy of Gris from this new printing posted to Amazon, and my sister has been eager to play Death Squared, so I grabbed a copy for her, my brother, my wife and me to play some 4 player puzzle action!

KEy-NW-9QMaBqB6NPFD3tw.jpg.1b491c4e6e1b748c441e6e14a7efa897.jpg

And, a new (old) NES game! I love my shooters, and I was able to find this beautiful looking copy of Terra Cresta that had permanent marker on the cart which I removed cleanly with some 99% iso and patience; not a blemish on the cart now ;).

20211209_125350.jpg.26a5bf0e31b5680bdb2ed62230f66a90.jpg

That's it for today, but I have my fingers crossed that some treasure will arrive tomorrow weather permitting. If the box arrives, it's going to make what's shaping up to be a good weekend even better!

• Like 7

romeowswitch.jpg.17e21caf2e8e6f74bc0b1c9fae98d706.jpg

romeowswitchscreen1.jpg.63c4740fea8d3df824b3a514b8d38e4f.jpg

After playing through Kero Kero Keroppi no Daibouken for Famicom during the VGS NES Tournament, I wanted to play more puzzle games not named Tetris, Dr. Mario, or Adventures of Lolo. I found a game called Romeow: in the cracked world, which was released for Switch just last month. The Steam version received positive ratings, so I downloaded the Switch version. It is very simplistic (and even the file size is only 65 MB), but also relaxing and the music is nice. Definitely worth playing after a stressful day.

pokemoncaferemix.jpg.275091f5bf0187e84fd7433c8ad97316.jpg

pokemoncaferemixscreen.jpg.314d0669f830e8abdcbc67d8541df06c.jpg

Last year I thought about downloading Pokémon Café Mix, but chose not to because I don't usually play my Switch in Handheld mode. Last month I noticed on my Switch's News Feed that an updated version was released. I've bought/downloaded several Pokémon items this year, so I decided it was time to download this game.

I also downloaded some PC and Flash Games: 

Super Mario Bros. Crossover: 

smbcrossover.jpg.0b6da7eb15995f6b42e26697247082cf.jpg

smbcrossoverscreen.jpg.8bd109f1ba83e85624c3af02e397ad2d.jpg

Heard about this one several years ago, and finally got around to downloading and playing it.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 2D: 

zeldaoot2d.jpg.6f0bfe4310849bc1c4d83ed8c10fe585.jpg

zeldaoot2dscreen.jpg.1fa65a1d0ba33508bb39a699bbe23420.jpg

I remember reading about a fan-made, 2D version of Ocarina of Time in the early/mid 2000's on GameFAQs. Recently, I wondered if such a game was ever released. I don't know if this is the same project or not, but it's nice to finally play a 2D version of Ocarina of Time after reading about one over 15 years ago (even if it's unfinished). It looks just like a Link to the Past.

Mega Man Maker: 

megamanmaker.jpg.5c4b6d6bf73c50bdb5a536b4c3440cd6.jpg

I've always liked the editors in Excitebike, the Tony Hawk games, and Alien Hominid, so I downloaded Mega Man Maker. I don't like playing it with a Keyboard, but luckily I have an SNES-style USB Controller.

Ivan Drago: Justice Enforcer: 

ivandragogame.jpg.9dfc8b59fb5e077e57ce197d187428cb.jpg

ivandragogamescreen.jpg.7f8639de255c689738cc354e43779086.jpg

What can I say? I'm a fan of the Rocky movies (have all of them on Blu-Ray, including Creed I and II), and the Rocky game for GameCube is pretty good. I also used to play a ton of Flash Games in the early 2000's. So, I downloaded this Double Dragon style beat 'em up. I'd prefer playing as Rocky or Apollo Creed, though I've read that Apollo can be unlocked. it's an okay game, and I like that it uses music from various NES and Famicom games (like Jackal).

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 4

Yesssss! I was hoping to get these games in for the weekend, and DHL literally delivered.

I've always been a Bomberman fan, and since going back to discover the Game Boy library, I found out about Wario Blast. I managed to piece this one together with all the inserts for way cheaper than the going rate on CIB copies (it seems) which made it feel even sweeter.

Ghosts N' Goblins was a game I discovered from this thread, and was something that I wanted to get since. I got a Game Boy Color for Pokémon on release, so my GB knowledge before those came out has been minimal at best. Had I known there was another GnG to play, I would have gotten this ages ago. My wife was the one who pulled the trigger on this one when she found a great deal on this fully complete copy.

-wOfzFh4SyaCbhAtKK6yBw.jpg.ae7adec2bdc5ee9f055eb2f8f39802ac.jpg

As ever, I love shoot 'em ups, so I made it a mission to track down a complete Aerostar. I just finished Battle Unit Zeoth for the November game of the month @ Yokoi Kids, so the timing couldn't have been better.

j1xG7qdvQimOk9EZKRfGlQ.jpg.4682e46e6c331d0baf609617deb90db1.jpg

And lastly, I only found out about Mole Mania from watching a Retro Bird video 2 months ago that had some game play footage of it. I then saw a Nintendo Life retro-review and it seemed to hit all the notes for my love of environmental puzzle games. I bought it on the 3DS e-shop to try it out and was hooked! It's surprisingly difficult to come across a complete copy it seems, but one came up a couple of weeks ago and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time! Lucky too, because another was posted hours later for $100 more and that also sold immediately.

It's an awesome game that I wish I would have discovered in its time to help support it and the possibility of a follow-up.

iVEcAdrvQ8Gin2a91db20Q.jpg.b334db5b16b0e2e5204b7929427bdac5.jpg

It's going to be a fun weekend 🙂

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Well might as well put this out there, +3 to now 13 new NES games for me in a matter of like a couple of weeks roughly, all local too.  Thursdays is my kids gymnastics, they converted the viewing area annoyingly to a toddlers learning gym up there mostly so seating is limited so for her 3 hours (about) there I leave for like 2 of it to be fair and returned to the HPB that Tiny Toons etc came out of.  Seems more people have caught the dump your NES game fever as even more arrived.

I grabbed these for $6ea on two of them breaking really even with online, but the one I was most happy with was $20 and that's the amazing Kings Quest V conversion.

nes-dec9.jpg

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Well might as well put this out there, +3 to now 13 new NES games for me in a matter of like a couple of weeks roughly, all local too.  Thursdays is my kids gymnastics, they converted the viewing area annoyingly to a toddlers learning gym up there mostly so seating is limited so for her 3 hours (about) there I leave for like 2 of it to be fair and returned to the HPB that Tiny Toons etc came out of.  Seems more people have caught the dump your NES game fever as even more arrived.

I grabbed these for $6ea on two of them breaking really even with online, but the one I was most happy with was $20 and that's the amazing Kings Quest V conversion.

nes-dec9.jpg

King's Quest and Space Quest are iconic, sadly not remembered like they should in my opinion, but iconic. My dream is to have all the King's Quest games released (physically) on console sometime... preferably while I'm still around and kicking 😁

• Like 3

I feel like I can't be the only person who does this...I don't really buy current gen games during the year (maybe 3 or 4 ex-Limited Run stuff), and then I go nuts when Black Friday week hits.  The only games from this picture that were more than $30 were the Mario Karts ($60 from all the major retailers) and Shin Megami Tensei V Steelbook Edition ($40).  The majority were only $20, and this little shopping spree should hold me over until next Black Friday (2022)...
845395501_IMG_13601.thumb.JPG.181e545d086438ee96d6536f84c5f0a1.JPG

• Like 9

Well dumped 8 items, unexpectedly came back with 4 so I'm ahead still. 🙂  $28 out of pocket, dropped some cheap later 90s-10s era games on half price along with a dvd or two too.

I intended to grab SIlver Surfer, wanted another game but it was beat so with the slice I had going for me grabbed Wrecking Crew as I enjoy it.  It's uncommon Genesis stuff pops up, so when these two were there (klax has manual) I grabbed them for less than their online value...all of them really so that's a win in my book.  I do like the minor upgrades to RC Pro Am there, and the other is just an excellent version of the game.

nes-gen-dec12.jpg

• Like 6

On 12/14/2021 at 1:10 AM, TDIRunner said:

Latest additions to the long box collection

hqbSmnG.jpg

And found some laserdiscs at a local store.

Z2NPv1j.jpg

Cool! are the Star Wars lazerdiscs the theatrical release? I always heard the lazerdiscs versions are the ONLY ones with the original theatrical release of Star Wars, and that all editions afterwards were edited by Lucas. Not sure if that's true?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, avatar! said:

Cool! are the Star Wars lazerdiscs the theatrical release? I always heard the lazerdiscs versions are the ONLY ones with the original theatrical release of Star Wars, and that all editions afterwards were edited by Lucas. Not sure if that's true?

I'm not completely sure as I'm not a LaserDisc collector, so I don't know all of the intricacies the way I do with video games.  I basically only buy LD movies that I know I like or find interesting and I currently only own a few dozen.

With that said, Star Wars specifically says "Special Edition" on the cover, so I'm thinking probably not, but Return of the Jedi doesn't say anything about "Special Edition" so there might be a chance.  Unfortunately, I didn't see a copy of Empire when I was looking through everything.  I got my hopes up after finding the other two, but Empire wasn't there. 

I plan to watch them soon to confirm exactly which version I bought.  I might also list them on a local Facebook LD group to see if any of the actual collectors know.  I have no expectation of either of my copies being worth anything.  I just wanted them because it was Star Wars.

To your point, I know for sure that there are LD versions of Star Wars without and of the "Special Edition" changes including a Japanese version with all three movies in a set.  But I don't think anything is exactly identical to the theatrical release.  Even the original VHS releases had some minor changes since George Lucas considered his movies to always be a work in progress.  I'm not a Star Wars or LaserDisc expert, so others could probably tell you better then me.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm not completely sure as I'm not a LaserDisc collector, so I don't know all of the intricacies the way I do with video games.  I basically only buy LD movies that I know I like or find interesting and I currently only own a few dozen.

With that said, Star Wars specifically says "Special Edition" on the cover, so I'm thinking probably not, but Return of the Jedi doesn't say anything about "Special Edition" so there might be a chance.  Unfortunately, I didn't see a copy of Empire when I was looking through everything.  I got my hopes up after finding the other two, but Empire wasn't there. 

I plan to watch them soon to confirm exactly which version I bought.  I might also list them on a local Facebook LD group to see if any of the actual collectors know.  I have no expectation of either of my copies being worth anything.  I just wanted them because it was Star Wars.

To your point, I know for sure that there are LD versions of Star Wars without and of the "Special Edition" changes including a Japanese version with all three movies in a set.  But I don't think anything is exactly identical to the theatrical release.  Even the original VHS releases had some minor changes since George Lucas considered his movies to always be a work in progress.  I'm not a Star Wars or LaserDisc expert, so others could probably tell you better then me.  

They're the theatrical versions.

The primary reason your copy of Star Wars says "special [widescreen] edition" is that it's widescreen, as virtually all copies available back in the day were the then-standard 4:3 "pan and scan" versions since most people didn't own a TV anywhere big enough to have widescreen movies look halfway decent on them.

The versions with the actual "Special Edition" versions of the original Star Wars trilogy on them were originally/normally marked by having part of Vader's mask on the covers, such as this.  The same database site lists the copies that you picked up as well, with this most likely being the copy of Star Wars that you bought, which was released far earlier than the modified "Special Edition" versions existed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

They're the theatrical versions.

If that's true, then you just made my day.  I'm really looking forward to watching these since I have not seen the original versions since I was a young kid.  I assume by "theatrical" version, you mean as close to theatrical as you can get since it's my understanding that nothing released on home media was identical to theatrical since some minor changes were made (maybe I'm wrong about that).  Since I'm not a purist, I don't care about those minor changes.  I just want to watch the original movies before the MAJOR changes were made with the special editions.  

Of course, now I'm even more disappointed that I didn't find Empire Strikes Back.  I bought the LDs in the above picture pretty cheap.  I'm curious what Empire goes for on eBay.  I'll look into that a little later.  

Edit:  Empire Strikes Back prices aren't too crazy, so I might just pony up for that one and have all three to watch.  

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

I was recently offered a Sega Master System, two Master System Controllers and one Genesis Controller, the hookup cables, the Phaser, and eight games from a friend (well, technically ten games if you count the combo cartridge as two games and also the Snail Maze game that's built into the console). He moved into a Hotel recently and doesn't have the room for every one of his consoles and games anymore. Initially he was going to give me all of these items for nothing, but I told him no because that wouldn't be fair for him. I remember a couple years ago he said he wanted Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee for GameCube. I have two copies (one American, one PAL) and said he could have the PAL version since he has an Action Replay. I also said he could have one of my Wavebird Controllers with a Receiver since he's been looking for one of those as well. He accepted. In addition, he asked if he could also have Disc 1 of Tales of Symphonia since he only had Disc 2. I told him yes.

So anyway, I traded Disc 1 of Tales of Symphonia, a PAL copy of Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee (complete), and a Platinum Wavebird Wireless Controller with Receiver and new batteries for these items:

segamastersystem.jpg.078be9d76ea0fc95a216b5669bb0ca8b.jpg

segamastersystemgames.jpg.f2f96fd89899fd4ccca359a83bdb799d.jpg

segagenesiscontroller.jpg.62ce6feec56e10121a976cb58b11e24a.jpg

He also decided to give me a loose copy of Need For Speed Underground 2 for GameCube:

nfsu2gamecube.jpg.aa19a4e6f14c731233fe5e5fe54fdf67.jpg

nesu2gcscreenshot.jpg.391385fba2a085ecb019b1c81fdf05fd.jpg

I did some grocery shopping and bought some Pringles Chips with Halo packaging:

pringleschipshalo.jpg.461dd854749d79e1c86e6e69fc7c4c8c.jpg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

If that's true, then you just made my day.  I'm really looking forward to watching these since I have not seen the original versions since I was a young kid.  I assume by "theatrical" version, you mean as close to theatrical as you can get since it's my understanding that nothing released on home media was identical to theatrical since some minor changes were made (maybe I'm wrong about that).  Since I'm not a purist, I don't care about those minor changes.  I just want to watch the original movies before the MAJOR changes were made with the special editions.

Yeah, that's what I meant, and happy to oblige.  That database site I linked to previously talks a bit about each version and seems to give some sclue as to which editions have the best transfers, least errors in subtitles, etc., so if you're thinking about just shelling out money directly for a LD copy of Empire (and/or arguably "better" copies of the two you picked up), you may want to do a little reading beforehand to determine which will be the best for you.

With that being said, if you truly want the best experience with something that is as true to the original material as possible, your best bet is to do some looking and get your hands on a copy of either the Harmy Despecialized versions of the trilogy or copies of 4K77, 4K83, and their work-in-progress version of Empire.  A friend hooked me up and I can tell you that they look absolutely incredible, even when compared to as pure a copy as you can get on original media from back in the day.

5 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

This one basically sunk me financially but I'm happy, haven't busted them open yet but the boxes around them are neat. 

20211215_170035.jpg

Wow! I'm curious how much they cost - you of course don't have to answer, but I'm definitely curious as I'm sure many others are too 🙂

Are they CIB? What condition overall? My opinion - it's worth spending more money to get a good product you're happy with!

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

Yeah, that's what I meant, and happy to oblige.  That database site I linked to previously talks a bit about each version and seems to give some sclue as to which editions have the best transfers, least errors in subtitles, etc., so if you're thinking about just shelling out money directly for a LD copy of Empire (and/or arguably "better" copies of the two you picked up), you may want to do a little reading beforehand to determine which will be the best for you.

With that being said, if you truly want the best experience with something that is as true to the original material as possible, your best bet is to do some looking and get your hands on a copy of either the Harmy Despecialized versions of the trilogy or copies of 4K77, 4K83, and their work-in-progress version of Empire.  A friend hooked me up and I can tell you that they look absolutely incredible, even when compared to as pure a copy as you can get on original media from back in the day.

Thanks again for the info. 

Can confirm Han shoots first in the version I have.  

• Like 3